UN Human Rights Council review calls out Canada over treatment of Indigenous Peoples

spaminator
UN Human Rights Council review calls out Canada over treatment of Indigenous Peoples
Canadian Press
Published:
May 11, 2018
Updated:
May 11, 2018 4:38 PM EDT
A general view taken on the opening day of the 22nd session of the United Nations Human Rights Council on February 25, 2013 in Geneva.FABRICE COFFRINI / AFP/Getty Images
OTTAWA — Members of the United Nations Human Rights Council are urging Canada to improve its treatment of Indigenous people, in particular women and girls.
Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould represented Canada in Geneva for the UN’s third Universal Periodic Review of human rights.
Wilson-Raybould says she heard the council’s message “loudly and clearly,” including the need to support the national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls and addressing the over-representation of Aboriginal women behind bars.
“We know this is a challenge we’re facing, it needs to be addressed in a fundamental way,” she said Friday in a telephone interview from Geneva.
The review, first established in 2008, sees the council review the human rights records of all UN members and make recommendations for improvement.
Canada has taken part in two reviews, in 2009 and in 2013, although 2018 marks the first time that a federal minister has led a delegation for the presentation.
Wilson-Raybould said she welcomes the feedback — and while Canada has made important gains, a great deal more work remains.
The government is still considering whether it will grant the missing and murdered women inquiry a two-year extension, which commissioners requested in March.
The decision will come “in the near future”, she said.
“We will ensure Indigenous survivors and family members will be heard by the commission and that we will complete the work of the national inquiry in a way that allows those voices to be heard, commemorates lived experiences of Indigenous women and gets at the root causes of why the situation exists in the first place,” Wilson-Raybould said.
Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Carolyn Bennett, speaks during a press conference, as Minister of Indigenous Services Jane Philpott, left, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada Jody Wilson-Raybould, and Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Jean-Yves Duclos look on, in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Justin Tang / THE CANADIAN PRESS
In a speech to the council, she highlighted the government’s launch of the inquiry, its work in eliminating boil-water advisories in First Nations communities and its intention to implement the 94 recommendations from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
She also raised the government’s plan to work with First Nations, Inuit and Metis people on a recognition and rights framework, which she said builds on the government’s reconciliation efforts.
Wilson-Raybould said she is reviewing Criminal Code and that the government is working on pay equity legislation. She reminded the council of Trudeau’s apology to those in the LGBTQ2 community harmed by past federal legislation.
The review confirmed however that Canada is still “failing millions of Canadians by denying them an equal chance to succeed and thrive,” said Marie-Claude Landry, chief commissioner of the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
“The recommendations in this third UPR are not a surprise to anyone,” she said. “For the most part, they are largely the same as those presented to Canada in 2013. This latest review is evidence that, despite best efforts at all levels of government, Canada continues to struggle to address this country’s most urgent human rights issues.”
Landry credited the government for putting human rights back on the agenda and cited the prioritization of women’s equality, reconciliation, homelessness and LGBTQ2 rights as examples.
Wilson-Raybould acknowledged that Canada is “not perfect” and that there’s room for improvement.
“Hearing from our peers is an opportunity to take recommendations and do what we can to improve.”
http://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/994977485006700545
Statement - Canada
UN Human Rights Council review calls out Canada over treatment of Indigenous Peoples | Toronto Sun

captain morgan
+3
The UN who?

spaminator
+1
'SETTLER SCHOLAR': Halifax university slammed over plan to have white prof teach residential schools course
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
May 11, 2018
Updated:
May 11, 2018 4:20 PM EDT
A 206 file of the entrance to Mount Saint Vincent University. (Wikimedia Commons/misterjerk2/HO)
HALIFAX — A Halifax university is under fire for assigning a course about Canada’s residential schools to a non-Indigenous professor, something activists say undermines reconciliation efforts.
Mount Saint Vincent University is expected to offer the course, Selected Topics in North American History: Residential Schools, this fall.
The professor slated to teach the course has an expertise in Atlantic Canadian First Nations history, with a specialization in the historical experiences of 20th century Indigenous women, according to the school’s website.
Yet the decision to assign a “settler scholar” to teach the course has been slammed on social media as a kind of historical appropriation and reinforcement of the systemic oppression of First Nations.
Critics say only Indigenous people have the lived experience to understand the complex and cumulative ways they’ve been discriminated against, and that they should teach their own history.
“Part of reconciliation is making space for Indigenous faculty members at universities and Indigenous knowledge perspectives,” Patti Doyle-Bedwell, a Mi’kmaq woman and Dalhousie University professor, said on Friday.
“We’re talking about indigenizing the academy.”
The university has called for a meeting next week between Indigenous faculty and staff and the professor assigned to the course to determine a way forward.
“These are issues facing all universities in Canada,” said Elizabeth Church, the Mount’s vice-president academic.
“What we’ve tried to do is listen to the different perspectives and really try to understand how to move forward in a way that is respectful and thoughtful.”
The university has been actively recruiting Indigenous academics, she said, with a new faculty member recently hired and the search for another ongoing.
“It’s a very complex issue and we’re really looking at what it means to have expertise in the topic and bringing in the perspectives that need to be there,” Church said.
Martha Walls, the professor assigned to the course, said in an email that she takes the “important concerns aired over Facebook extremely seriously.”
But despite the outcry on social media, Sherry Pictou, a professor at the university who is Mi’kmaq, is speaking out in support of Walls.
Pictou said she has “full confidence” in her colleague both as a historian and an ally to the Indigenous community.
She said the work of decolonizing “cannot fall just on the backs and labour of other Indigenous academics.”
“I am proud to be working at the Mount and have had much support in ensuring that I am not overly tasked with all Indigenous related issues as so many Indigenous professors are,” Pictou said in an email.
“Though I bring an Indigenous feminist lens to the courses I teach, they are not all Indigenous specific and I would be very concerned if I were prevented from teaching those courses.”
She said the Mount is working on ways to offer Indigenous-specific courses as well as encouraging non-Indigenous faculty to responsibly implement Indigenous-related curriculum across the disciplines.
Pictou added that as much as Indigenous faculty members can be subject to criticism for not living up to “privileged non-Indigenous academic standards,” this debate has shown her that Indigenous scholars can also come under fire for not living up to perceptions of “genuine indigeneity.”
Professor Sandra Muse Isaacs, a Cherokee woman originally from the U.S. who teaches at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, said the idea of a non-Indigenous Canadian teaching a course on residential schools stifles Indigenous voices.
“It’s unfair because it’s not allowing the voices of those people who are directly impacted by the residential school experience to be the one speaking,” she said. “They’ve already had their voices muted and taken away from them during their experience in those schools.”
Rebecca Thomas, a Mi’kmaq community activist and former Halifax poet laureate, said part of reconciliation is allowing Indigenous Peoples a voice.
“There is this perpetuation that non-Indigenous people have the right and expertise to speak on Indigenous topics when in reality the lived experience of what it’s like to be a product of these systems within Canada, there’s no voice better than first voice.”
More than 150,000 First Nations, Metis, and Inuit children were taken from their families — often by force — to attend government residential schools, according to findings by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The commission heard testimony from roughly 7,000 survivors, including graphic details of rampant sexual and physical abuse at the schools, and found at least 6,000 Indigenous children died from malnutrition, disease and widespread abuse.
School slammed for having white prof teach residential schools course | Toronto Sun

Gilgamesh
+6
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

The UN who?

That would be the U.N which ignores and condones FGM, murder, rape, and subjugation of women in Islamic & other 3rd world shithole countries.

I am certain that our Prince Shiny Pony agrees totally with these corrupt evil douchebags.

taxslave
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

That would be the U.N which ignores and condones FGM, murder, rape, and subjugation of women in Islamic & other 3rd world shithole countries.

I am certain that our Prince Shiny Pony agrees totally with these corrupt evil douchebags.

So what is the human rights record of countries sitting on this Kangaroo court?

HeyBill
UN is the home of human representatives & like all humans a mixed bunch. Nevertheless they are the global body we have to interface with and I expect less than perfection all round.

Canadian Indigenous populations are growing rapidly & mixed in are clever ones who are well educated & speak with the authority of knowledge.

Governing bodies across Canada have started to listen to indigenous reps. They are taking better account of indigenous rights and the upholding of these.

Within indigenous groups there is better communication and better action.

Improvements are not instantaneous & everyone needs be patient.

Durry
+3
The UN needs to clean it's own house before it can start judging others

Mowich
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So what is the human rights record of countries sitting on this Kangaroo court?

Absolutely, unmistakably abysmal.

That the UN would call out Canada when it allows atrocities to persist around the world is yet another example of the paucity of intelligent thinking, cronyism at its worst and a failure to perceive and pursue horrors that occur daily in many nations around the world. Yet they have the audacity to lecture a country that has shown in numerous ways its willingness to meet the many demands put upon it by some indigenous communities. That's rich.

darkbeaver
+1
I am an indigenous person. I was concieved and nurtured under the Lord God Sun in Canada and I refuse to appologize for my long dead ancestors, who could have picked Carolina instead, brains did not run in the family and still lags behind the developed world but we persist. Where would I go? Liverpool? Fuk off , just stick that hatchet right between my shoulder blades thankyou. Why must we white natives be subjected to the same racism that the earlier settlers endured. Surely some understanding of the present combinations of human could flourish, I have red skin in this game two generation out and I will not allow shjtheads to fuk up the mix. Everyone is here in Canada by design and that is our physical reality, make the best of it, cuz the alternative is stupid painfull and void of any logic whatever. My bones complain about Canada half of the year, we really should consider conquest of the warm states once thier troubles start. I,ve seen pictures of South Carolina. It seems such a wonderful place to spend the winter not to mention solar cycle 25. Yes you Americans will have to make adjustments to the eventual barbaric hordes lusting after your warm winter beachs. That,s if the models hold. If not we,ll just be invading a slush covered pest hole.

spaminator
Judge approves $875M Sixties Scoop settlement
Canadian Press
Published:
May 12, 2018
Updated:
May 12, 2018 10:56 AM EDT
(Getty Images)
SASKATOON — A federal judge has approved a multimillion-dollar settlement for Indigenous people who were taken from their families and placed in non-Indigenous foster homes in the so-called Sixties Scoop.
Justice Michel Shore made the ruling in Saskatoon after two days of hearings in which survivors spoke for and against the proposal.
The settlement includes $750 million for the survivors, $50 million for an Indigenous healing foundation and $75 million for legal fees.
Last October, the federal government said the proposed settlement was for about 20,000 survivors who were moved between 1951 and 1991.
Shore says he will issue his reasons for his ruling in a month or longer.
Lawyer Tony Merchant, whose firm represents some of the victims, says most of the people affected by the Sixties Scoop want to move on with their lives.
“It’s the right decision,” he said Friday.
“They wanted things to come to a conclusion and the people who wanted some change or said it could be better were overlooking the agony of the process, and the thousands of people with whom I’ve spoken over time — because this has been going on for nine years — say enough is enough.”
Coleen Rajotte is one of the survivors who isn’t happy with the settlement.
During the hearings, Rajotte argued that claimants will lose their right to sue the federal government if they accept the money.
She also said she doesn’t believe enough consultation was done prior to the proposal.
Rajotte wants the federal government to redo the process.
“I’d like to see meetings set up across the country where it’s well-advertised and adoptees could come out to public meetings,” Rajotte said.
“If they lived in remote communities, every chief and council should be written and full information packages should be dropped off at every band office across the country. Then, councillors could distribute it to adoptees and everyone should be informed in the best way possible.”
Anna Parent said she was taken from her home and adopted out in the 1950s.
She hoped to share her story at the hearings, but she said she wasn’t given adequate time to do so.
Shore noted during his opening remarks that the hearing was not the place to share stories, but rather an opportunity for victims to weigh in on the proposed settlement.
Merchant said it could be months before individual survivors can apply for compensation and the summer of 2019 before any money is paid out.
Judge approves $875M Sixties Scoop settlement | Toronto Sun

Danbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Absolutely, unmistakably abysmal.

That the UN would call out Canada when it allows atrocities to persist around the world is yet another example of the paucity of intelligent thinking, cronyism at its worst and a failure to perceive and pursue horrors that occur daily in many nations around the world. Yet they have the audacity to lecture a country that has shown in numerous ways its willingness to meet the many demands put upon it by some indigenous communities. That's rich.

75 million in legal fees...

Tecumsehsbones
OK, two points:

1. What a load of worthless. . . well, I would call it BS, but BS has value as fertilizer, and this has no value at all.

2. To the people who seem to think that the UN, its Councils, or the countries on those councils have no right to criticize others until and unless they can prove they are spotlessly squeaky-clean, does that mean the U.S. and Canada were wrong to criticize the Germans in WWII (to say nothing of attacking them) because the U.S. and Canada had considerable human-rights problems at home? Or is this a stick you get to beat others with, but can't be used against you?

Twin_Moose
+4
Doesn't any of these committees ever look at the First Canadian file over all or do they just look at the evidence presented to them by the group with an agenda only? They never look at the corruption in the FN leadership when funds are diverted from their intended budgets. Look at all the new vehicles, rv's, atv's, upgrading Zamboni's, new boat's, etc. I'm sure these expenses aren't budgeted for from Ottawa, meaning that housing maintenance allowances, water treatment allowances, road maintenance allowance, etc. are being raided to pay for the toys. Maybe it's time for Ottawa and First Canadian's to put their big "person" pants on and take up the challenge to be responsible for their own future and live in and work together in the 21'st century. Not act like parents and spoiled children and just keep handing out allowances without the chores being done.

When this country was being formed the Natives were given the ball to help lead this country into the future, instead they kept the ball and cry the game is rigged, demand a ball from everyone, no one is allowed to play, because they actually own the game. Time for the UN to turn their attention on a real problem in the world not one that is mostly self inflicted.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

OK, two points:

1. What a load of worthless. . . well, I would call it BS, but BS has value as fertilizer, and this has no value at all.

2. To the people who seem to think that the UN, its Councils, or the countries on those councils have no right to criticize others until and unless they can prove they are spotlessly squeaky-clean, does that mean the U.S. and Canada were wrong to criticize the Germans in WWII (to say nothing of attacking them) because the U.S. and Canada had considerable human-rights problems at home? Or is this a stick you get to beat others with, but can't be used against you?

Would it be fair to say the UN does like to criticize countries that will whether through guilt or through protest pressure be willing to change, probe or throw money at the proposed problems, for a look at what we accomplished narrative. Rather than stand up to and be ignored by countries that truly have an atrocious human rights record.
Last edited by Twin_Moose; May 13th, 2018 at 09:33 AM..

Dixie Cup
+3
What a joke. The UN calling out Canada? LOL LOL LOL OMG, my tummy hurts from laughing so much!! The hypocrisy is unbelievable!

Mowich
+2

OK, two points:

Just a bit disingenuous to compare those who sat on the panel during WWII with those who sit on it today, Tec.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...hapters/angola
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...rs/afghanistan
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...hapters/brazil
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...apters/burundi
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...republic-congo

Tecumsehsbones
Ok, so we're all agreed. Canada is perfect and above criticism, and everybody else is scum.

gerryh
+2

Ok, so we're all agreed. Canada is perfect and above criticism, and everybody else is scum.

Took you long enough to figure that out. You are American though, so it is to be expected that you are a little on the slow side.

Curious Cdn
+2

Well,.......

.... Yes, since you put it that way.

We are so Uber Alles, we apologize to the lamp posts that we walk in to.

spilledthebeer

OK, two points:

PIERRE TRUDEAU made multiple speeches in which he PUBLICLY told Cdns that the British war against Nazi Germany was nothing but "British Imperialism"!

And a UN council on human rights makes a MOCKERY of its own existence when it appoints members from Iran under Ayatolla Homaini, from Libya under Gaddafi, and from Uganda under Idi Amin!

Your prized UN rights council is an INSULT to any honest human being! But you KNEW that going in didnt you- little T-gurly!

And now you can run along and try to come up with some answer regarding police training- you KNOW the QUESTION- and I KNOW you are hiding from it!

Twin_Moose
+4
Let's not forget Syria is set to chair the committee this year The West is set to lead the world in Human rights abuses yet again SMFH

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Let's not forget Syria is set to chair the committee this year The West is set to lead the world in Human rights abuses yet again SMFH

Oh my! Syria as chair of a human rights committee? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hypocrite LIE-berals ignore the reality that white supremacists can be permanently muzzled simply by DROPPING LIE-beral anti white bias!

Radical Muslims think it is unfair to condemn Cdns who go to the Middle East to join Isis or other groups such as Hezzbolah- while ignoring Jews who go to Israel to fight in support of the Jewish republic. Muslims who support this view expose their bigotry! Our democratically elected Cdn govt condemns Isis, Hezzbolah and Hamas- among other radical groups- as terrorists. But the state of Israel exists largely because of a United Nations vote that Cdns- and others in the democratic world supported!

The only reason Palestinians are consistently denied a state of their own is because they consistently deny the right of their Jewish neighbours to have a state!

LIE-berals think that we show tolerance by letting jihadists live here in Canada, without worrying about the security risk!

Cdns think we show tolerance by deporting jihadists instead of executing them as thy too often deserve!

LIE-berals are being very selfish in trying to persuade us its cheaper to keep illegals than to deport them as most Cdns desire.

LIE-berals are like gamblers on a losing streak-they keep doubling down on bad bets hoping their luck will change! Khadr was a BAD bet!

Yankees think that the LIE-beral stance on Khadr Krap and Muslims is NOT a local issue-Muslim international terror worries Yankees badly.

Sun media compares Cdn Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to Saddam Hussein Iraqi information minister “Comical Ali” for his B.S.- the shoe fits!

If LIE-berals put Islamophobia Motion 103 into law will the Human Rights Commission arrest anybody who is critical of the Khadr Krap deal?

Do LIE-berals consider it to be a hate crime for Cdns to criticize their deal with the devil/Omar Khadr?

LIE-berals says Omar Khadr is entitled to reward under the Cdn Charter-which was written by the vile Pierre Trudope-thanks Pierre-for another Salmon Arm salute!

LIE-berals think that printing fake news retractions about how and where Khadr clowns fought and died will somehow deflect critics of their madness!

Our idiot Boy Justin says we have to reward Khadr because his Cdn Charter of Rights were violated- either LIE-beral logic or the Charter is SCREWED!

It is false reasoning by Our idiot Boy when he tries to insist that our laws should apply to all Cdns anywhere in the world- no matter what they are doing.

Our idiot Boy Justin says Omar Khadr has rights under our constitution- but Khadr voluntarily left Canada, fought in a foreign country and was wounded and taken prisoner by a foreign army. If he has a legal beef then he should take it up with those involved and NOT with Cdns!

If Omar Khadr thinks he is owed money then let him seek it from Taliban and Al Quaida-the people he was fighting for!

The mother of Omar Khadr used to give media interviews saying we are bigoted, cowardly and stupid- she was talking about LIE-berals!

Omar Khadr says he has regrets about his life. Fine. Let him become an HONEST Cdn and GIVE BACK the blood money LIE-berals are offering him!

At least Omar Khadr will not be able to claim for welfare or for “affordable” housing any more?

Why would LIE-berals pay Omar Khadr anything? He fought in a foreign country, in a foreign army and was imprisoned in a foreign country? Why us? WTF?

The Egyptian born father of Omar Khadr was a convicted bomb maker when LIE-beral Chretien invited him to immigrate to Canada! WTF?

A LIE-beral called me a racists today because I offer blanket condemnation of LIE-berals and their destructive values. Soon it may be a HATE crime to criticize a LIE-beral?

LIE-berals pay terror thug Omar Khadr $10 million dollars-Cdn soldiers now see its more profitable to fight AGAINST Canada!

LIE-berals offer us a 150th birthday present- a ten million dollar bill as reward to terror thug Omar Khadr!

$10 million dollars awarded to Omar Khadr is so gross that we might guess that Trudope will soon quit politics after insulting us so completely?

$10 million dollars to Omar Khadr- and the shameless anti democratic values of Trudope family are on full and loathsome display!

The Muslim woman who attacked Cdn Tire customers with golf club and knife has told a LIE-beral hug a thug judge that she intends to KEEP ON attacking Cdns- so the judge let her out on bail!

The Muslim woman who attacked Cdn Tire store customers with a golf club and knife wants to plead guilty, give up Cdn citizen ship and be sent home and the LIE-beral hug a thug judge in charge has told her not to be so hasty or rash and to think about it for a while? WTF? Accept her plea, get her an airline ticket and fire her radical lunatic ass out of her before she makes MORE TROUBLE!

LIE-berals WANT to keep the Muslim Cdn tire golf club attacker as a Cdn citzen.....WTF?

Will Our idiot Boy Justin be brazen enough to run in the 2019 election after ALL LIE-beral policy has been exposed as FAILURE?

The Muslim woman who attacked Cdn Tire customers with a golf club and knife now says she wants to give up Cdn citizenship and go home-will some damned LIE-beral please buy her an airline ticket before the crazy bitch changes her mind!

Our idiot Boy Justin said he approves of the Trump order to bomb Syria-Our idiot Boy is probably AFRAID to disagree!

Assad drenches the children of people he hates in nerve gas-and Justin says we should engage in dialogue-what will he possibly say to Assad?

Justin says he would talk to ISIS butchers-do you think they would let Our idiot Boy finish talking before they behead him?

And WHY would a Muslim attack Swedes? Are they not quite harmless? Should we assume that Jihadists are REALLY ARE mindless butchers filled with hate?

LIE-berals ignore the increasing unease that Cdns feel for the escalating Muslim terror body count.

LIE-berals see no reason to learn that British security and immigration ignored warnings from Italian cops re the Manchester bomber coming to Britain.

LIE-berals refuse to believe that Cdns are uneasy with so called LIE-beral security that is filled with loopholes.

Cdns refuse to believe Our idiot Boy Justin when he tells us we must let Toronto 18 convicted terrorists stay here.

Many Cdns do not believe that LIE-beral mandated changes to our immigration law are in our best interests.

Reverse bigoted LIE-beral multicultural policy is creating fertile ground for future race riots in Canada.

Most Cdns think Sharia Law offers reduced civil rights compared to current Cdn law- therefore bringing in Muslims is damaging to Cdn democracy.

LIE-beral anti Islamophobia policy is so biased it is actually CREATING hate instead of ending it!

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Took you long enough to figure that out. You are American though, so it is to be expected that you are a little on the slow side.

You've certainly perfected the not-very-fine, drooling imbecile art of whataboutery.

Must be your education system.

spilledthebeer

You've certainly perfected the not-very-fine, drooling imbecile art of whataboutery.

Must be your education system.

HEY T-GURLY! Why dont you answer the question you have been DUCKING- the one about COP TRAINING? Oh right- all wind blowing hard and no brains or logic to back any of it up! Why dont you start bagging your chicken shit- you could make a LOT of money selling it to gardeners!

Let me remind you of that question:

Here is an article damning cops with faint praise and illustrating that in some peoples eyes, cops are NEVER in the right! And it illustrates the utterly twisted value system of LIE-berals! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Charleena Lyles Needed Health Care. Instead, She Was Killed. 1/11

The New York Times. By PHILLIP ATIBA GOFF and KIM SHAYO BUCHANAN

Photos of Charleena Lyles, who was killed by the police in Seattle on Sunday/June 17/2017 . © Ken Lambert/The Seattle Times, via Associated Press Photos of Charleena Lyles,

On Sunday morning, two Seattle police officers shot and killed Charleena Lyles in her apartment. She was pregnant, and three of her four children were home. She had called the police to report a burglary. According to the officers’ account, shortly after they arrived, Ms. Lyles, who the police knew was mentally ill, pulled a knife. Both officers shot her. Societal failure to care for mental health, which leaves the police as mental illness first responders, may well have been one deadly ingredient in this tragic encounter.

(ONE DEADLY INGREDIENT? IT’S THE ONLY DEADLY INGREDIENT! What would LIE-beral minded morons have ordered to be done differently by cops? She was robbed and so police MUST speak to her? It is not the job of cops to order psychiatric care for her! Nor is it in their power to ORDER her to take her medication before they will deal with her! And they have no power to do so anyway!)

According to her family and police records, Ms. Lyles wrestled with significant mental health issues. An audiotape reveals officers discussing her police and mental health history immediately before the shooting. Seattle Police Department officers had been called to her residence more than 20 times before this Sunday, with mental illness often figuring in those encounters. The department had placed an officer caution on her address for this reason, meaning officers should be on alert for dangerous behavior from her. Despite repeated previous mental health referrals and the involvement of Child Protective Services, she was alone with her children on Sunday, in distress and with nowhere to turn but 911.

(SO she is OFFICIALLY KNOWN to cops as potentially dangerous? Again- what are mere cops supposed to do with her other than to defend themselves if she attacks? AS she had already been robbed it is likely she was agitated even BEFORE cops got there. Cops might have waited a while to see if she cooled off a bit? Or maybe the deliberate lack of attention and service might have provoked her further? There is no answer and no easy solution other than to persuade LIE-beral minded Hogs that they must provide care even if the patient refuses!)

Ms. Lyles’s situation is not unique. People with untreated mental illnesses are disproportionately likely to attract police attention. The combination of mental illness, racial segregation and poverty is particularly likely to result in police contact, often leading to arrest.

(OH typical LIE-beral garbage! The woman was robbed and IS ENTITLED to police aid- its just too bad LIE-berals will do nothing for her and leave it to police with their hands tied to deal with a total mess! Too many mentally ill persons COULD be stable members of society IF they were compelled to take their medication- and IF they were supplied with it!)

(LIE-berals have created a mental health revolving door- patient acts up and cops are called and gets committed and stabilized and is then released. Once back out, patient often stops taking `meds` due to unpleasant side effects- or is unable to afford meds and ends up in mental trouble again- with cops coming back to deal with patient yet again. This is NOT a cop failing, it is a LIE-beral govt failing with LIE-berals being too greedy to waste money on crazy people!)

In fact, a 2006 Bureau of Justice Statistics study revealed that 24 percent of state prisoners report a history of mental illness, with other sources reporting rates in some larger facilities as high as 70 percent. But it was not always the case that mental illness would result in the cycle of catch and release that evidently plagued Ms. Lyles.

What changed over the past half-century is that the United States has seen a stunning decline in resources devoted to public mental health — during the same time the nation adopted mass incarceration. A 2009 International Association of Chiefs of Police review reported that the available hospital beds for persons suffering from mental illness dropped by 95 percent from 1955 to 2005, to 17 beds per 100,000 persons from 340. From 1985 to 2005, the nation’s incarceration rate tripled.

(AS I said- greedy LIE-berals are keeping the cash and giving mental health sufferers their right- to be set free without adequate supports in place! And LIE-berals consider it unfair to force mental health patients to receive treatment anyway- they can be crazy if they wanna be!)

The shift away from hospital treatment of mental illness was not matched by an offsetting commitment to fund the health care people needed to live on the outside. Medicaid reimbursement rates are so low that it is difficult to find providers who will accept it. As a result, many people with mental illness are functionally uninsured for their most urgent health care needs. That is, state support for mental health retreated at the same time state investment in incarceration exploded — and both with disastrous results for vulnerable communities.

The consequence of the disinvestment in public mental health has also not affected all vulnerable communities equally. African-American people are at least as likely as white people to experience mental health distress but are half as likely to receive mental health treatment. This helps to explain why it’s easy to recall other high-profile cases of police use of deadly force involving black victims with documented histories of mental illness.

To be sure, the disproportionate rate of law enforcement violence against African-Americans has a host of contributing factors, including racial bias, both implicit and explicit. There is most likely no single explanation for the tragedy that occurred when Seattle Police Department officers shot and killed Ms. Lyles. But in her case and others like it, the failure of public mental health services appears to have been one important ingredient in a mix of forces that ultimately proved deadly. Without this failure, Sunday’s encounter might never have occurred.

(OH balls! Race has NOTHING to do with two cops trapped in a crowded room and shooting an enraged crazy woman coming at them with a knife- it’s a survival issue!)

If we are to protect families in similar situations, we must extend the lens of our concern beyond police-community interactions — even in cases where the police pull the trigger. A reinvestment in public mental health resources — including hospitals and, yes, better health care coverage for vulnerable Americans struggling with mental illness — are urgent necessities.

Of course, the cure for these too frequent police-involved shootings must include serious changes within law enforcement. But we must also recommit to changing how we manage mental health if we are to reduce the chances that illness will be treated with gunshots. It is what we owe to Ms. Lyles and to the children who survive her.

(Oh there is the knife in the back for cops to enjoy and to make selfish LIE-berals feel better! LIE-berals insist that “better cop training’ will resolve this issue? HAHAHAHAHA! LIE-berals should STOP lying about cop training and START thinking about giving more cops things like Tazers so they can knock down a crazy person without filling them full of .40mm Glock pistol holes! But here in Toronto, our LIE-berals refuse to give out Tazers to cops for fear cops will “misuse them”!) So Toronto cops- and a lot of Yankee ones too- can only pull out the Glock and blaze away to protect themselves! LIE-berals are desperately seeking a way to blame others for THEIR racist attitudes and lust for power! LIE-berals are afraid to tell the public the truth for fear of being voted out!)