Time Warner Cable calls customer C**t in Letter

tay
Time Warner Cable (TWC) isn't yet a part of Comcast, but it's taking after its potential parent company in one very unfortunate way.

Comcast customers have complained about their billing account names being changed to insults like "*******," "*****," "dummy," and "super bitch." Now, the same thing has happened to a Time Warner Cable customer named Esperanza Martinez.

Martinez, of Orange County, California, provided Ars a copy of this letter she just got from Time Warner Cable:

After beginning, "Dear **** Martinez," the letter says, "We know you recently decided to cancel your services." But that is not what happened, Martinez told Ars.

"I am a current Time Warner Cable customer, and I just received a letter today addressed to 'C**t' Martinez ," she wrote in an e-mail.

"It is a letter stating I requested to disconnect my service, which I never did. I have escalated the issue to Time Warner Cable's Corporate customer service, and was told I will receive a 'follow up' call within 48 hours. The only information they could provide was that the name change was made on 2/12/15, which happens to be the same day I used their 'live chat' feature online and called in and spoke to a representative regarding an issue with my cable box. I was not upset even when they could not resolve my issue and had to send a technician out. I have no idea why a TWC employee would do this and risk losing their job. It shows what type of companies TWC and Comcast are by the people they hire to represent them."

After being contacted by Ars, Time Warner Cable admitted that one of its representatives changed Martinez's first name to "C**t" in the cable company's computer system.

We are truly sorry for the disgraceful treatment of Ms. Martinez and have reached out to her to apologize directly," a company spokesperson said. "Our investigation showed that this was done by an employee at a third-party vendor. We have terminated our agreement with this vendor and are changing our processes to prevent this from happening again.

offending letter can be viewed at the link

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02/time-warner-cable-calls-customer-ct-after-she-reports-cable-box-problem/

WLDB
Amusing. Im surprised it hasnt happened more often.

Blackleaf
Not as amusing as the ironic name "Ars".

Sal
ah, well there's my morning laugh

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

ah, well there's my morning laugh

Yeah, I got a chuckle when Blackleaf revealed his ignorance of the fact that "ars" is Latin for "art," too.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yeah, I got a chuckle when Blackleaf revealed his ignorance of the fact that "ars" is Latin for "art," too.

And it also sounds like "ars e", so I chuckle at your ignorance.

The irony of a company in this story being called "Ars" is obviously lost on you, so you fall into the stereotype that the British have of Americans that you don't understand irony.

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

The irony of a company in this story being called "Ars" is obviously lost on you, so you fall into the stereotype that the British have of Americans that you don't understand irony.

Cut them a little slack Bl... Afterall, I'm certain that you receive mail all the time addressed to Ars or C**t and are used to it by now.

Generally speaking, North Americans are not as accustomed to this as you are and it takes a little getting used to

Sal
there's my second morning laugh

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Afterall, I'm certain that you receive mail all the time addressed to Ars or C**t and are used to it by now.

Nope. Not all all.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
#10  Top Rated Post

It sounds like "ar se" only in the mind of someone with the mentality of a seven-year-old snickering at risque language. Which ain't a bad description in this case.

Blackleaf

It sounds like "ar se" only in the mind of someone with the mentality of a seven-year-old snickering at risque language. Which ain't a bad description in this case.

It sounds like "ars e" to everybody. How do YOU pronounce it? "Dog"? It even LOOKS like it. I don't see why you're getting your knickers in a twist.

It's ironical that the company involved in this story is called Ars. Americans don't get irony, though, as you have proven.

Tecumsehsbones
"Arz." As in "ars longa, vita brevis" or "ars gratia artis."

Blackleaf

"Arz." As in "ars longa, vita brevis" or "ars gratia artis."

The company is called Ars.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Time Warner Cable (TWC) isn't yet a part of Comcast, but it's taking after its potential parent company in one very unfortunate way.

Comcast customers have complained about their billing account names being changed to insults like "*******," "*****," "dummy," and "super bitch." Now, the same thing has happened to a Time Warner Cable customer named Esperanza Martinez.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...e-box-problem/

Sounds a little unprofessional to me!

Blackleaf
Ars is not only funny because it sounds like ars e - so the company itself in this story about swearing is almost named after a swear word - but "ars" is also Israeli slang referring to a stereotype of a male of coarse manner, flashy jewellery, and typically working class socioeconomic level.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

The company is called Ars.

The company is called Ars Technica. That you missed that is, alas, unsurprising.

spaminator
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/co...-customer.html

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/co...-customer.html

wow, Bell too...must be a new phenomena...but then that's what happens when you have a mega corporation, with low paid people handling customers frustrated by all of the money paid out for services/equipment that malfunction. Customers get upset naturally and spend hours on the phone with little to no resolution then they take it out on the front liners...guess they are fighting back in the most inappropriate ways and venting their frustration
goooooooooo staff...lol

taxslave
Maybe these companies should try inhouse customer support instead of farming it out to third world countries.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Maybe these companies should try inhouse customer support instead of farming it out to third world countries.

but this is more fun

it's like opening a cracker jack box...who knows what the prize may be

free phone and TV for a year...nah, c*nt in writing has to be worth more than a years worth eh?

what should we give 'em to make this go away?

they can send me a letter like that any old time

taxslave
Depends on your perspective. I always thought c*nts to be quite useful an fun.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Depends on your perspective. I always thought c*nts to be quite useful an fun.

yeah

it's kind of a shock though to get that kind of an invite from the cable guy...

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

wow, Bell too...must be a new phenomena...but then that's what happens when you have a mega corporation, with low paid people handling customers frustrated by all of the money paid out for services/equipment that malfunction. Customers get upset naturally and spend hours on the phone with little to no resolution then they take it out on the front liners...guess they are fighting back in the most inappropriate ways and venting their frustration
goooooooooo staff...lol

Vendors/sub contractors are mostly in Asia.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Amusing. Im surprised it hasnt happened more often.

Me too