Why is Antarctic sea ice at record levels despite global warming?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Glacier View Post

Antarctic sea ice is currently above average, but no where near record extent. Not sure why the spikes exist.

It did achieve record extent in 2014 but they only have records back to 1979.

selfsame
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Except for when ice travelled from north to south during a couple ice ages, right?

No, not right? these are only postulations, and to me it is not logical.

petros
what does the sun orbit?

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Well now, there are two serious problems with that argument. First, an argument using a regional phenomenon to disprove a global trend is dead in the water. Second, the Antarctic could warm quite a lot and still be well below zero on average. One consequence of warming is increased precipitation, and increased precipitation in the Antarctic means the ice cover will grow.

Why has this global trend been so difficult to recognize in so many regions such that legislation requiring global warming deniers to be flogged is before several nations lawmakers today? Why is something so apparent to the throngs of lunatics who believe the Sun may be regulated with increased taxation so invisable to better thinkers? Heat leads CO2 in every case. You should surrender your carbon for capture.

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

It did achieve record extent in 2014 but they only have records back to 1979.

The spikes indicate a loose fanbelt.

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

what does the sun orbit?

Toronto

Jinentonix
The sea ice extent in the Antarctic could have something to do with the conveyer process that starts there. As the sea water starts to freeze in winter, ice starts to crystalize and forms long "tendrils" below the surface. Now, I'm not sure how the rest of this works but as the tendrils form and grow, briny water heavy with salt starts to fall to the depths, eventually forming a vast waterfall of extremely cold, salty water that's something like the equivalent of 2000 Niagara Falls. This massive loss of salt from the surface waters allows the sea around Antarctica to freeze more easily and more completely.

Add to that the fact the southern ocean is rarely ever still. It is constantly being stirred around Antarctica by winds which makes it more difficult to heat up as the action of the water helps dispel the heat back into the air. Thus, in combination with the loss of salinity in winter makes it fairly reasonable that the Antarctic ice would defy the climate models.

DaSleeper

MHz
Lake effect snowfalls, on a massive scale.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Oh look, another one of your quality posts. Ask me if I missed them.

Jinentonix
Quote:

“It’s not expected,” says Professor John Turner, a climate expert at the British Antarctic Survey. “The world’s best 50 models were run and 95% of them have Antarctic sea ice decreasing over the past 30 years.”

GIGO. Why would it be a surprise? Were they really expecting accuracy when the computer modelers toss out data that's inconvenient to the narrative?

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Lake effect snowfalls, on a massive scale.

Oh look, another one of your quality posts. Ask me if I missed them.

Take your pills!

MHz
Original as always I see. Ask me why I never ask you 'What's new?'

Gilgamesh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Read the article not just the headline. As soon as I saw it was a Guardian piece I knew it was from the deniers of facts.

The facts are; the climate is indeed changing- about the same historical rate as always.

It is also warming as it has been for the past 18,000- 25,000 years when the last ice age ended.

The warming trend was most apparent 1900-1920's when CO2 was hardly climbing at all. The last 19 years showed world wide no warming at all.

During the Holocene (Roman Empire) & the Medieval Warming Optimum (800A.D - 1300A.D) the temps climbed at least, if not more than today.

The IPCC (look it up), referenced as the 'bible' by all the 'warmists' after decades of alarmist warnings admitted that "the planets weather is a chaos based system with too much complexity to allow for predictions" working party no.2. (para.)

There are only two classes of people who push the Alarmist Global Warming Scam.

Crooks or fools.

Which are you?

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Why.. because it's all damn lie.

It has nothing to do with science. It is a platform of a sinister philosophical and political agenda. The gaps and contradictions in theory started appearing almost as soon as it was developed.. which means its has to be constantly revised to match evidence that undermines it. In fact it has NEVER been able to predict anything.. all of its original projections are utterly refuted by fact. But this has never been about facts.. it's always been about fear.

Even the name has been changed. It's now 'Climate Change' or 'Extreme Weather' .. which allows it to incorporate ALL weather events as proving its hypothesis, even those clearly corresponding to cold weather.. and even when the original logic has totally unravelled.

But don't expect it to stop. They know there are a segment of weak and credulous intellects who define themselves by labels.. are incapable of independent reason.. and who will believe anything they are told providing in enlists them as members of some group.. and some of them are in influential positions.. like Justin Trudeau.

True

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by jinentonix View Post

the sea ice extent in the antarctic could have something to do with the conveyer process that starts there. As the sea water starts to freeze in winter, ice starts to crystalize and forms long "tendrils" below the surface. Now, i'm not sure how the rest of this works but as the tendrils form and grow, briny water heavy with salt starts to fall to the depths, eventually forming a vast waterfall of extremely cold, salty water that's something like the equivalent of 2000 niagara falls. This massive loss of salt from the surface waters allows the sea around antarctica to freeze more easily and more completely.

Add to that the fact the southern ocean is rarely ever still. It is constantly being stirred around antarctica by winds which makes it more difficult to heat up as the action of the water helps dispel the heat back into the air. Thus, in combination with the loss of salinity in winter makes it fairly reasonable that the antarctic ice would defy the climate models.

roflmao