Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system

petros
Edjucashun is badd.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

I have a thing with East Indians, I think if anybody owes Canadians an apology, it's the East Indians for the Air India affair.
We let these people into our country but they chose to bring their cultural and political garbage with them and then they chose not to cooperate with our Police forces to address their garbage issue. They chose to keep it to themselves.

And then after the bombing, they blamed and sued the Candians for not looking after them.

This is like me coming to your house with a sore throat and then later suing you for me getting phenomenon because you did not look after me.
Now how stupid is this??

The Government of India was behind this attack. First I hear of that.

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

The Government of India was behind this attack. First I hear of that.

And just where is that statement made???
You no read well Dude?? Fool!!

So having the RCMP rip kids out of their parents' arms under threat of imprisonment if the parents resisted to have them go to residential schools in a foreign language sometimes for years on end and sometimes with the kids returning home and not even being able to communicate with their parents was a good concept?

Someone with a small brain like yours thinks the Indians were living a glorious life before the Whiteman came.
When in fact they were living a life of hell, their mortality rates for kids were about 80%, a tribe of 300 Indians would often die of starvation and freezing etc etc
Better lean a few things Dude.

White_Unifier

And just where is that statement made???
You no read well Dude?? Fool!!

Someone with a small brain like yours thinks the Indians were living a glorious life before the Whiteman came.
When in fact they were living a life of hell, their mortality rates for kids were about 80%, a tribe of 300 Indians would often die of starvation and freezing etc etc
Better lean a few things Dude.

They were aware of that. That's why they negotiated treaties that guaranteed a right to education in exchange for use of their land. They kept their side of the bargain. But never did they expect residential schools when they wanted education not abuse assimilation and genocide. We purposely built the schools as far from their homes as possible.

taxslave

So having the RCMP rip kids out of their parents' arms under threat of imprisonment if the parents resisted to have them go to residential schools in a foreign language sometimes for years on end and sometimes with the kids returning home and not even being able to communicate with their parents was a good concept?

Basically yes. The devel of course is in the details. The only residential school I am familiar with was right in the middle of a rez. And from what I have read some chiefs did indeed want the kids to go to a white mans school.
The real problem was letting cults run the schools.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

wow, who knew one person could be so willingly ignorant and wrong about what has been well documented.

your inability to understand that there are valid cultures completely different then your own is in full evidence.

Like there were positive outcomes from the Nazi concentration camps?

sure, go ahead. Try. Deny that a whole community of human beings who were denied their identity and their right to self determination, were killed, starved, beaten and sexually abused, was a good thing.../sarcasm

Not at all . I do not speak with forked tongue .

Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

The concept of residential schools was good. What was bad was that they weren't monitored regularly to ensure that the staff were the kind of people they should have been. When the care of children is in the hands of strangers, the 'strangers' have to be carefully chosen to be of good character and to have the necessary traits to be kind and nurturing. Apparently this is where the deal went wrong.
There is no other way for kids from remote, isolated reservations to get an education that will enable them to succeed in mainstream society except for them to attend schools far from their homes.
There have been enough cases of child abuse among day cares, children's groups and churches to show that the residential schools were probably no worse than what has taken place right under our noses.

Boy scout troops , cadets , baseball and other sports , remember James . Yikes of course there were sexual predators in some residential schools , Catholic residential schools , British Private schools and anywhere else perverts can peddle their wares . That's what perverts do . The low hanging fruit . The same reason all you big strong tough internet warriors go for the low hanging fruit . Its easy .

Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I have no need to apologize to Aboriginals for residential schools, Japan for being nuked, the Irish for being starved, the Africans for being colonized or for the Jews being enslaved in Egypt. I also have no desire to be apologized to for any historical wrongs against my family or culture

That might be the first and only intelligent thing I have ever seen you post .

petros
No good ever came out of getting an education.

pgs

When and where did that happen ?

petros
+1
In the line up to join the class action suit.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Basically yes. The devel of course is in the details. The only residential school I am familiar with was right in the middle of a rez. And from what I have read some chiefs did indeed want the kids to go to a white mans school.
The real problem was letting cults run the schools.

Check out Alert Bay right down the road from their famous totem poles , smack dab in the middle of town is the residential school . Check out Point Grey smack dab in the middle of Dunbar St Georges Residential school ( populated by the British upper crust )The poor boys from out of town were subject to possible problems , rich or poor the problems have always been the same . Some people prey on children and they know where and how to do it .

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

No good ever came out of getting an education.

Your right as it applies to the Indians.

We educated them and now they are taking us to our courts and sueing our asses off.
Should have left them stupid but still looked after them. See we lose again eh!!

petros
I heard a gal on the radio said something to the effect of " the Elders better smarten the hell up and get over their bitterness and racism over residential schools and invest in on Rez education. In Canada my kids don't stand out as different in the classroom. It's no longer us and them".

Cliffy

I have a thing with East Indians, I think if anybody owes Canadians an apology, it's the East Indians for the Air India affair.
We let these people into our country but they chose to bring their cultural and political garbage with them and then they chose not to cooperate with our Police forces to address their garbage issue. They chose to keep it to themselves.

And then after the bombing, they blamed and sued the Candians for not looking after them.

This is like me coming to your house with a sore throat and then later suing you for me getting phenomenon because you did not look after me.
Now how stupid is this??

If you are referring to your stupid analogy... it was very stupid.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I heard a gal on the radio said something to the effect of " the Elders better smarten the hell up and get over their bitterness and racism over residential schools and invest in on Rez education. In Canada my kids don't stand out as different in the classroom. It's no longer us and them".

Of course it is now us and them , and the natives pretty much like us better then them .

Durry
+1
Why is it now with Canada being a multicultural country that we still need a White person (Libs have white women) to deal or work with the natives???
Just where are these other whining visible minorities, why aren't they negotiating with the natives???

Once again, it's the Whiteman doing the heavy lifting, while the vis mins try to look busy.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I have no need to apologize to Aboriginals for residential schools, Japan for being nuked, the Irish for being starved, the Africans for being colonized or for the Jews being enslaved in Egypt. I also have no desire to be apologized to for any historical wrongs against my family or culture

Nor should you.

I don't feel any need to apologize for my presence here. I do very much want to know the true history. Not false history.

And I think that they have a right to have their truth brought to light, its their history. I grew up between farms and reservations on Vancouver island. I heard tons about my peoples history. Good and the bad.

petros
What choice do they have when the incoming look at them and say "you hauve access to funding for you to get a PhD on top of a guaranteed 1-13 in a heated building with indoor plumbing and you spit at it?"

Twila

Why is it now with Canada being a multicultural country that we still need a White person (Libs have white women) to deal or work with the natives???
Just where are these other whining visible minorities, why aren't they negotiating with the natives???

Once again, it's the Whiteman doing the heavy lifting, while the vis mins try to look busy.

Do you enjoy any interactions with other cultures? Ever?

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Nor should you.

I don't feel any need to apologize for my presence here. I do very much want to know the true history. Not false history.

And I think that they have a right to have their truth brought to light, its their history. I grew up between farms and reservations on Vancouver island. I heard tons about my peoples history. Good and the bad.

The real history about the natives has now been forever altered. All the negative history about the natives has been sterilized and removed from libraries and other sources.
I know because during one weekend I spent all weekend searching for books addressing many unpopular natives topics that I knew existed when I was in university reading these fine accurate historical books. They are all gone now.

Yes, I relate very well to all types of people who carry their share of responsibility

davesmom
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I think this has gone on for too long.

It's fair to say that almost every nation or ethnic group has picked on, attacked, killed or fought with other groups. Perhaps the UN can form a committee to create a list of the countries who, since the beginning of recorded history, were the meanest, most destructive on the planet. The UN can then chase after them for some kind of contemporary compensation.

Or perhaps we can simply say, yep, history is what it is. Humans are a mean spirited bunch!

Tribes all over the world have enslaved and/or killed neighbouring tribes. N.A. Indians, African tribes, some countries are still doing it, Afghanistan, mid-Eastern countries.
Yet these are the same people who come to Canada now and whine about being insulted and otherwise 'mistreated'.

petros
Have you ever been mistreated by a Botswanan?

Have you ever been mistreated by a Native Canadian?

We need more Botswanans.

Murphy
+1
Perhaps the best way to handle any group who whines about being segregated, hurt, killed or otherwise hard done by, should be cut off from any and all help. The only entitlements would be what average Canadian might receive. No more financially draining special interest groups. Time to stop putting their hand into the taxpayer's pocket.

Almost everyone would agree with this except for politicians running for public office and any special interest group looking for free money.

Jinentonix
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Stealing kids from their parents , yikes . The chiefs wanted their children educated in white mans ways .

Not all of them. There were plenty of instances were kids were removed from their homes for no good reason other than to educate the Indian out of them. Now, I'm not saying absolutely no good came out of the residential schools. As I said, they weren't all hell-holes. I've run across a few Native people who went through the residential school system and benefited greatly from it, their words. I've also run across many others who were obviously damaged by the whole process.

At least one, St Mary's, performed nutritional experiments on the kids. There must have been something bad about those experiments because when the RCMP was finished with their investigation in the late '90s, the federal Liberals buried the report deep and gagged the RCMP.

Bar Sinister
+1
Well-intentioned? The residential school system was designed to destroy indigenous culture. Did a pretty good job didn't it?

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Well-intentioned? The residential school system was designed to destroy indigenous culture. Did a pretty good job didn't it?

Unfortunately, there are many here who think turning them into apples was a good thing. Yup, some of them embraced to mindless consumer, rape and pillage mind set of the dominant culture. Wow! I guess we'll see who came out on top when we are all choking in our own effluent.