The Spanish have no greater claim to Gib than they do on Portugal after Brexit


Blackleaf
#1
WITH a Brexit deal close to being agreed, what has happened? Someone has shoved a Spaniard in the works, that’s what.

That Third World basket case Spain is threatening to veto any deal we strike with the European Union.

They are getting angry about what will happen to Gibraltar.

They get themselves very worked up about Gibraltar, the Spaniards...

ROD LIDDLE Gibraltar is ours as long as citizens vote to be British and the Spanish ‘have no greater claim than they do on Portugal’ after Brexit

Britain should support Morocco's right to reclaim Ceuta, Melilla and Perejil - territories the Spaniards 'own'


Comment
By Rod Liddle, Sun Columnist
22nd November 2018
The Sun

WITH a Brexit deal close to being agreed, what has happened? Someone has shoved a Spaniard in the works, that’s what.

That Third World basket case Spain is threatening to veto any deal we strike with the European Union.

The residents of Gibraltar have become fiercely protective of their British citizenship

They are getting angry about what will happen to Gibraltar.

They get themselves very worked up about Gibraltar, the Spaniards.

Forgetting entirely that they “own” three territories bordering Morocco — Ceuta, Melilla and Perejil.

Much to the fury of the Moroccans, who claim, with some justification, that the territories are theirs.

The Spanish have no greater claim on Gibraltar than they do on Portugal

Gibraltar, meanwhile, is inhabited by British people who vote, every time, that they very much want to remain British.

The Spanish have no greater claim on Gibraltar than they do on Portugal.

But that’s not all. The behaviour of the Spanish is yet another reason why we should be glad to be rid of the EU.

Yet another gobby, bankrupt, mismanaged country trying to tell us what to do.

Tensions between the British and Spanish governments have been raised on issues surrounding the sovereignty of Gibraltar

A country which keeps afloat only because of the money we pour into it.

Its debt is staggering — so huge, that if it was piled up in single dollar bills it would reach 97,018 miles high.

That’s more than a third of the way to the moon.

Unemployment? Si, senor. They certainly have that.


The Sun's campaign to stop Spain gaining ownership of The Rock

Youth unemployment currently stands at above 34 per cent — the kind of thing you might expect in sub-Saharan Africa (of which Spain is almost a part).

Approximately one in five Spaniards is out of work.

Not surprising, then, that almost nobody in Spain wants to be Spanish.

They all want to get the hell out. Most notably the Catalans, whose free and fair vote for independence was brutally crushed by the Spanish government and the EU.

Being a democracy for only 43 years - fascism is never far from the surface in Spain

Fascism is never far from the surface in Spain.

Don’t forget, it’s been a democracy for only 43 years, having been a fascist dictatorship before then.

The Galicians, up in the north west, want independence. The Basques want independence.

Down in the arid south the Andalusians quite fancy breaking free, too.

Everywhere you look in Spain there’s people telling you they’d rather be somewhere else altogether

Everywhere you look in Spain there’s people telling you they’d rather be somewhere else altogether. Anywhere but Spain.

A country whose only redeemable quality is a warm climate for Germans and Brits to get p***ed in.

But this is the thing about the EU, and why we must remove ourselves pronto.

The UK being dictated to by Spain is a bit like El Salvador telling the US what it can and can’t do.

The UK being dictated to by Spain is a bit like El Salvador telling the US what it can and can’t do

And yet for all the while we are in the EU, this is what will happen.

No wonder more and more sensible countries are beginning to consider their options.

Sir Francis Drake took the right approach to Spain.

Finish a leisurely game of bowls then go and defeat their entire armada in about half an hour. (They’re still cross about that, too.)

Spain's President Pedro Sanchez can veto as much as he likes, but Gibraltar's future will never be negotiable

We should tell the Spanish that the status of Gibraltar will never be negotiable so long as a majority of its citizens wish to remain British.

Tell their smug boss Pedro Sanchez that he can veto as much as he likes, but that will never change.

And at the same time, support Morocco’s right to reclaim Ceuta, Melilla and Perejil from these tapas-munching, bone idle hypocrites.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/779812...in-rod-liddle/
 
Tecumsehsbones
#2
The British have no greater claim on Gibraltar than they do on Roanoke, Virginia; Mumbai, India; or Galway, Ireland.
 
Blackleaf
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

The British have no greater claim on Gibraltar than they do on Roanoke, Virginia; Mumbai, India; or Galway, Ireland.

Course they do.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Course they do.

Hard to argue with a well-researched, carefully-reasoned argument like that.

Mostly because of the uncontrollable chuckling.
 
MHz
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Hard to argue with a well-researched, carefully-reasoned argument like that.
.

There you go, bragging up the 'tards again, stop it.
 
Blackleaf
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Hard to argue with a well-researched, carefully-reasoned argument like that.
Mostly because of the uncontrollable chuckling.

Was your argument well-researched and carefully-reasoned?
 
Tecumsehsbones
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Was your argument well-researched and carefully-reasoned?

Yep. And history bears me out. If historical reality can penetrate your Victorian-era fantasy, which it obviously can't.
 
Blackleaf
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yep. And history bears me out.

Go on then. Enlighten me.
 
MHz
#9
It is the history that is still part of out future that needs attention rather than trying to make the past seem prettier than the facts point to. They made the UK a world Empire, they will also crash it when it suite them. The Royals think they will be returned to power. That is true as long as they are ruling from the root side of grass.



http://www.investmentwatchblog.com/c...ash-the-world/
 
Tecumsehsbones
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Go on then. Enlighten me.

Well. . . if you have the "right" to India, Ireland, and America, why haven't you sued to enforce your rights?

Not that you're capable of enlightenment, mind.
Last edited by Tecumsehsbones; 3 weeks ago at 01:24 PM..
 
MHz
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Go on then. Enlighten me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqFtGSb9Tk
Does the UK control the US? (with Alltime Conspiracies)
What if the Revolutionary War didn't happen the way it's described in textbooks? Tune in and learn why some people believe the UK still controls the US in this special collaboration with our friends at AllTime Conspiracies.

The US being dragged into both World Wars was not a win for them, it was the nails in their coffin.
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/...ebt_histo3.htm
07/01/1900 2,136,961,091.67
07/01/1910 2,652,665,838.04
07/01/1919 27,390,970,113.12
06/30/1930 16,185,309,831.43
06/29/1940 42,967,531,037.68
06/30/1949 252,770,359,860.33

11728.496125856696% 1900-1948

239.3469387755102% per year and no crimes have been committed??
Last edited by MHz; 3 weeks ago at 01:24 PM..
 
Hoid
#12
Imagine Spain sticking their noses in European business.
 
Blackleaf
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Well. . . if you have the "right" to India, Ireland, and America, why haven't you sued to enforce your rights?

Not that you're capable of enlightenment, mind.

Well we certainly have the right to America, considering we founded the place and it wouldn't exist were it not for the British Empire.

But this is about Gibraltar, a piece of land which is a much British as Norfolk or Shetland.
 
Blackleaf
#14
'Spain has achieved NOTHING' Gibraltar hits out at Pedro Sanchez bid to SNATCH the Rock

GIBRALTAR has accused Spain of overplaying its self-proclaimed victory after reaching an eleventh-hour deal to ensure Sunday’s special Brexit summit will go ahead.

By Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent
Sat, Nov 24, 2018
Daily Express

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Ynl0WiP74

The Rock’s chief minister Fabian Picardo said Madrid had “failed” in its efforts to reclaim the long disputed British overseas territory despite radical claims of “joint sovereignty” negotiations. Madrid, London and Brussels reached a last-minute compromise after a week’s worth of posturing from Pedro Sanchez, the Spanish prime minister, and his ministerial team. Mr Picardo praised Theresa May for ensuring Gibraltar is including in the Brexit withdrawal agreement, despite Spanish attempts to carve out the Rock from the deal.

He said: “Pedro Sanchez and Spain will be left with political declarations that mean nothing in the face of the legal texts.”

“The UK has made clear that it is negotiating for the whole UK family, and whether Mr Sanchez likes it or not, that includes us,” he added.

“We will not be cleaved out of the British family in these negotiations, we will not be peeled away from our precious British sovereignty for access to a common market.

“Our main market is the United Kingdom and access to it is already guaranteed. Let’s be clear, Pedro Sanchez has no guarantees whatsoever in respect to the future of Gibraltar.”


Brexit news: Gibraltar issues warning to Spain over sovereignty claims (Image: SG)

After negotiations with Jean-Claude Juncker in Brussels, Mrs May told reporters in Brussels: “Let me just say a word about the position regarding Gibraltar, we have worked through the withdrawal issues for Gibraltar with Spain in a sensible and constructive way and I would like to pay tribute to the statesmanship with which Fabian Picardo has led the negotiations on behalf of Gibraltar.

“We have assured Gibraltar is covered by the whole withdrawal agreement the implementation period and we will always negotiate on behalf of the whole UK family, including Gibraltar, and in the future relationship we will stand up for their interests.

“The UK’s position on the sovereignty of Gibraltar has never changed and will not change.”

Mr Sanchez had threatened to boycott the summit unless he received British assurances that he would have a veto over any UK-EU future trade and security deal involving Gibraltar.

But he climbed down after Britain published a declaration confirming Gibraltar would not necessarily be covered by the future deal with the EU.

Despite Mrs May’s tough statement, Spain has marketed the arrangement as a diplomatic victory.

Mr Sanchez told reporters: ““Once the UK has left the EU, Gibraltar’s political, legal and even geographic relationship with the EU will go through Spain.

“Spain will be a fundamental pillar of the relationship between Gibraltar and the EU as a whole.

“When it comes to the future political declaration, the European council and the European commission have backed Spain’s position, and backed it as never before.

“In these fundamental future negotiations, we’re going to have to talk about joint sovereignty and many other things with the UK.”
Mr Sanchez's foreign minister Josep Borrell described the agreement as the "most important one since the Utrecht Treaty of 1713", which saw Britain handed sovereignty of Gibraltar.

He said: "The agreement on Gibraltar reached today within the framework of Brexit negotiations is highly positive for Spain and the most important one since the Utrecht Treaty of 1713."


Theresa May signed off an eleventh-hour deal to ensure tomorrow's summit goes ahead (Image: REUTERS)


In order to accept the Brexit deal at tomorrow's special summit, Spain demanded written declarations from the EU27 and UK to back up promises that no future trade deal between Brussels and Britain can include Gibraltar without Madrid's permission.

A leaked summit document obtained by Express.co.uk shows the EU27's commitment to the promise by showing solidarity with Spain.

The document reads: "After the United Kingdom leaves the union, Gibraltar will not be included in the territorial scope of the agreements to be concluded between the union and the United Kingdom."

The EU27 go on to warn that any separate deal involving Gibraltar will "require a prior agreement of the Kingdom of Spain”.

Madrid stopped with its threats after Mr Sanchez spoke with Mr Tusk, the European Council president, on the phone earlier today.

After their discussion, Mr Tusk published his official invitation to European leaders, who will endorse the withdrawal agreement and political declaration on the future UK-EU relationship tomorrow.

Mr Tusk wrote: "During these negotiations, no one wanted to defeat anyone. We were all looking for a good and fair agreement. And I believe that we have finally found the best possible compromise.

“Given all of the above, I will recommend that on Sunday we approve the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. And although no one will have reasons to be happy on that day, there is one thing I would like to stress: at this critical time, the EU27 has passed the test of unity and solidarity.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...Fabian-Picardo
 
Serryah
Free Thinker
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Well we certainly have the right to America, considering we founded the place and it wouldn't exist were it not for the British Empire.

But this is about Gibraltar, a piece of land which is a much British as Norfolk or Shetland.


LMFAO!!!

"America" (you talking just the USA or all of North America?) was NOT founded by the Brits.

It existed long before any Euro nation came to its shore.

I know you love to revel in your British Superiority Complex (ignorance is bliss as they say and you always seem a blissful type) but really?

BTW, Hell is unfrozen thanks to this idiotic comment.
 
Blackleaf
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

LMFAO!!!
"America" (you talking just the USA or all of North America?) was NOT founded by the Brits.
It existed long before any Euro nation came to its shore.
I know you love to revel in your British Superiority Complex (ignorance is bliss as they say and you always seem a blissful type) but really?
BTW, Hell is unfrozen thanks to this idiotic comment.

The USA existed before the British arrived, did it?

Are you sure?

I was taught at school that the USA and Canada exist only because they were created by the British Empire. That those two nations exist thanks to the British Empire.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#17  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Well we certainly have the right to America, considering we founded the place and it wouldn't exist were it not for the British Empire.
But this is about Gibraltar, a piece of land which is a much British as Norfolk or Shetland.

You're insane, clearly.

Even if you leave out the Natives, as I'm sure you do, both the French and the Spanish had cities going in what are now the United States and Canada long before you idiots ever showed up.
 
Blackleaf
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You're insane, clearly.
Even if you leave out the Natives, as I'm sure you do, both the French and the Spanish had cities going in what are now the United States and Canada long before you idiots ever showed up.

I suppose it's beneficial for you to deny real history and create your own personal one in order to protect your personal prejudices from injury.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I suppose it's beneficial for you to deny real history and create your own personal one in order to protect your personal prejudices from injury.

Looking in a mirror there, Blackshirt.
 
Blackleaf
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Looking in a mirror there, Blackshirt.

I'm right and you know it. It'S just simple school history.
 
Serryah
Free Thinker
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

The USA existed before the British arrived, did it?

Are you sure?

I was taught at school that the USA and Canada exist only because they were created by the British Empire. That those two nations exist thanks to the British Empire.


Well what you were 'taught' was only partial truth.

The USA and Canada existed long before the Brits arrived.

As Tecumsehsbones said, if you discount the Natives, the Spanish, the French, hell, even the Vikings had settlements before the Brits ever showed up. And then there's the possible links to Asia...

Sorry, Britain doesn't have the right to claim sole 'ownership' to NA.



Quote:

I'm right and you know it. It'S just simple school history.



Except you're not and your school history is incomplete.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Well what you were 'taught' was only partial truth.
The USA and Canada existed long before the Brits arrived.
As Tecumsehsbones said, if you discount the Natives, the Spanish, the French, hell, even the Vikings had settlements before the Brits ever showed up. And then there's the possible links to Asia...
Sorry, Britain doesn't have the right to claim sole 'ownership' to NA.




Except you're not and your school history is incomplete.

Meh, he's an idiot.

St. Augustine, in what is now Florida, was established in 1565.

Royal New France was established in what is now Nova Scotia in 1604.

Jamestown, the first British settlement (in what is now Virginia), was in 1607.

So, both the Spanish and the French had permanent settlements in North America before the British arrived.

Blackshirt is a moron.
 
Serryah
Free Thinker
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Meh, he's an idiot.

St. Augustine, in what is now Florida, was established in 1565.

Royal New France was established in what is now Nova Scotia in 1604.

Jamestown, the first British settlement (in what is now Virginia), was in 1607.

So, both the Spanish and the French had permanent settlements in North America before the British arrived.

Blackshirt is a moron.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._of_foundation


Yeah, NA was a total wasteland devoid of anyone until the Brits showed.



Portugal
 
Blackleaf
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Well what you were 'taught' was only partial truth.

The USA and Canada existed long before the Brits arrived.

No, they didn't. The USA only came into being in 1776 and would never have existed were it not for the wonderful British Empire.

Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries also owe their existences to it.
 
Serryah
Free Thinker
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

No, they didn't. The USA only came into being in 1776 and would never have existed were it not for the wonderful British Empire.

Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries also owe their existences to it.


Ah, I see.

It's not the discovery of the land but the actual 'building of a nation' BS you're going by. Specifically, how the Brits 'won' it all cause they're the only ones that matter.

In a way you are right; if the Brits hadn't shown up things would be different overall. Likely in Canada we'd be speaking more French, and same with parts of the US. That and Spanish. So Canada and the US wouldn't exist like we do now.

But the Brits were far from wonderful. Of the three superpowers of the time, the French actually were somewhat better. The English and Spanish were too into being gloryhunters to give a crap about anything. The French at least dealt with the Native Tribes a little better than the spoiled Brits and Spanish.
 
Blackleaf
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Ah, I see.
It's not the discovery of the land but the actual 'building of a nation' BS you're going by. Specifically, how the Brits 'won' it all cause they're the only ones that matter.
In a way you are right; if the Brits hadn't shown up things would be different overall. Likely in Canada we'd be speaking more French, and same with parts of the US. That and Spanish. So Canada and the US wouldn't exist like we do now.
But the Brits were far from wonderful. Of the three superpowers of the time, the French actually were somewhat better. The English and Spanish were too into being gloryhunters to give a crap about anything. The French at least dealt with the Native Tribes a little better than the spoiled Brits and Spanish.

Just because you don't like the idea that Canada wouldn't exist were it not for the British Empire and you are therefore in a state of denial about it does not make it untrue. It's still as true as it was when it first happened.

As for the French, had Canada been a mainly French colony rather than a mainly British one your economic status and per capita wealth would now be on a par with Niger and most other former French colonies.
 
Serryah
Free Thinker
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Just because you don't like the idea that Canada wouldn't exist were it not for the British Empire and you are therefore in a state of denial about it does not make it untrue. It's still as true as it was when it first happened.

As for the French, had Canada been a mainly French colony rather than a mainly British one your economic status and per capita wealth would now be on a par with Niger and most other former French colonies.


Which again shows you don't know jack about Canadian history.

Not surprising, considering.

Canada, as it is now, would not exist without the British, no. I admit that fully.

That being said, the Brits did not "discover" Canada. Others did, they were just another body in a line of bodies that found us, settled and in their case, stayed and conquered.
 
Blackleaf
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Which again shows you don't know jack about Canadian history.

It's actually you who doesn't know about it.

Quote:

Canada, as it is now, would not exist without the British, no. I admit that fully.

Canada - the nation of Canada - owes its existence to the British Empire. That's why all Canadians should be grateful to that great empire.
 
DaSleeper
#29
Can't teach a stupid bloke anything...............
 
Blackleaf
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Can't teach a stupid bloke anything...............

 

Similar Threads

18
portugal @ france
by spaminator | Jul 12th, 2016
24