Ordering the Posties back to work

Hoid
Trudeau about to drop the hammer on the striking Posties. Just like Harper did in 2011 and just like whoever will do in another 5 years or so.

Everyone hates the Post Office and the Posties and everyone is happy to see them denied the basic rights that everyone is supposed to have.

Also, nobody wants to pay the UPS and Fedex rates. We all much prefer the cheap Post Office prices, based on screwing their employees over.

Merry ****ing Christmas

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Isnít it great , all those unionized government employees cheering the election of Trudeau and his Liberals . Funny when it comes time to negotiate his government is even stingier than Harperís Conservatives were . Eat those apples .

Hoof Hearted
+1
Gotta Laff...

100 people get the call to become Canada Post letter carriers, and only 5 stick around after trying the job for only a few days. That's correct...a 5 percent stay rate.

Next time you think posties got it easy, try walking a mile (or several more each day) in their shoes.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
I don't think posties got it easy. I just think it's a dick move to punish the public because you don't like what's in your contract.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
And now we face work to rule.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Isnít it great , all those unionized government employees cheering the election of Trudeau and his Liberals . Funny when it comes time to negotiate his government is even stingier than Harperís Conservatives were . Eat those apples .

The Post Office is a crown corporation. Politicians generally do not get involved in the negotiations.

JamesBondo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Trudeau about to drop the hammer on the striking Posties. Just like Harper did in 2011 and just like whoever will do in another 5 years or so.
Everyone hates the Post Office and the Posties and everyone is happy to see them denied the basic rights that everyone is supposed to have.
Also, nobody wants to pay the UPS and Fedex rates. We all much prefer the cheap Post Office prices, based on screwing their employees over.
Merry ****ing Christmas

Claims without proof, can be dismissed without proof.

Merry Christmas, idiot

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

I don't think posties got it easy. I just think it's a dick move to punish the public because you don't like what's in your contract.

What would you propose as an alternative? Keeping in mind that unionization and strikes began as a desperation response to management intransigence and intractibility?

JamesBondo
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

The Post Office is a crown corporation. Politicians generally do not get involved in the negotiations.

I have a family member that works in their admin offices, her job is nothing like the many workers that work in multiple provinces throughout the week. Anyway, she is under federal labour laws so she never gets paid for the provincial holidays like family day. There is no clause that recognizes that she is a 'stay in 1 province' worker.

JamesBondo
+2
#10  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

What would you propose as an alternative? Keeping in mind that unionization and strikes began as a desperation response to management intransigence and intractibility?

If back to work legislations are designed to prevent disturbances in services and bring the dispute back into the negotiating room, then I would think any solution should address negotiations and how they are conducted.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

If back to work legislations are designed to prevent disturbances in services and bring the dispute back into the negotiating room, then I would think any solution should address negotiations and how they are conducted.

I would agree. I think we both recognize, though, that such laws rarely work as intended.

I know nothing about this strike, and damn little about the Canadian postal service. I'm just commenting from general principles. I'm a little surprised they're able to strike. Government workers aren't permitted to down hereabouts.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker

Merry ****ing Christmas

My Girlfriend has been with Canada Post for 19 years now. She got her first new hip in Feb. 2018 & is currently 8th on the waiting list for replacing the other hip (so in the next month or two, maybe for Christmas), and after that rehab she'll get a back surgery and rehab and then back to work. Much of this Rotating Strike is about workloads and OH&S issues where the Posties are just wearing themselves out try'n to make it through to the point where they can be pensioned off and get away from the place to live in a broken retirement. Good times.....

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

Gotta Laff...

100 people get the call to become Canada Post letter carriers, and only 5 stick around after trying the job for only a few days. That's correct...a 5 percent stay rate.

Next time you think posties got it easy, try walking a mile (or several more each day) in their shoes.

This is my Girlfriend's story too. When she was applying for this job 19 years ago, she was one of almost 500 applicants and one of four that was actually hired after the screening process. That's the way is was two decades ago anyway.

JamesBondo
+1
I dont know who you have to know to get the job these days. I have nieces and nefews that have applied and couldn't even get a screening interview. They are in the oil patch now. I guess their work ethic was too strong.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

I dont know who you have to know to get the job these days. I have nieces and nefews that have applied and couldn't even get a screening interview. They are in the oil patch now. I guess their work ethic was too strong.

There's no politically correct answer to your question.

Dixie Cup
Conservative
+2

Merry ****ing Christmas

It seems that the Postal Union is a dictatorship as the posties themselves aren't allowed to vote on whether to accept the Post Office's offer. Many have been interviewed and stated that they would have like to have been able to vote! That surprised me as I thought the Union actually represented the workers; obviously not. They are a kingdom unto themselves and the workers are the slaves!!

Dixie Cup
Conservative
+1
BTW, if they voted, they may have agreed with the Union but at least they would have gotten their say. Also, just to put it out there, I don't believe that the Posties have it easy either. I'm just stating what I have heard.

JamesBondo
I like quality management systems because they strive to replace arbitrary decisions with policies and procedure. Hence, I'm ok with collective agreements, as well.

With that said, I still admire strong work ethic and I don't have much tolerance for whiners and SETs.

JamesBondo
+1
additionaly, I don't know the posty situation because it doesn't directly affect me. If I had an opinion about them, it would likely be someone else's opinion. And, I dont like that.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

It seems that the Postal Union is a dictatorship as the posties themselves aren't allowed to vote on whether to accept the Post Office's offer. Many have been interviewed and stated that they would have like to have been able to vote! That surprised me as I thought the Union actually represented the workers; obviously not. They are a kingdom unto themselves and the workers are the slaves!!

Not the slaves , just the funders .

Hoid
if the posties could all vote we would be in the middle of a general strike right now.

Hoof Hearted
+2
Posties were offered 2% per year for four years, plus that retro 2% to last February...plus a $1000 signing bonus for full timers, $500 for part-timers, and $250 for temp employees.

The riverboat gamblers that run the Union turned it down. Now with back-to-work legislation, there is no incentive for Canada Post to negotiate anything reasonable. And the employees will get the short end of the stick again through forced mediation...just like in 2011.

The retarded Union Reps still think we're living in the 1950's.

And there are many incredibly intelligent postal workers...beware that blue collar stereotype...they just aren't the type to sit in a cubicle for 8 hours a day. They'd rather be moving.

JamesBondo
+1

if the posties could all vote we would be in the middle of a general strike right now.

unexplained opinion can be dismissed without an explaination, you idiot.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Haha, a Ho I.D. 10-T error.

Chinese chips are often deficient and/or contain malware.

Retired_Can_Soldier

There comes a point where back to work legislation is necessary.

Hoid
in the case of the posties back to work legislation is normal and basically gives management a free ride in bargaining.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

There comes a point where back to work legislation is necessary.

OK, thanks. I agree. Down hereabouts government workers aren't allowed to strike at all, a policy with which I agree. They have other avenues to push their positions.

Remember when the air traffic controllers went on strike and Reagan fired 'em all?

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

in the case of the posties back to work legislation is normal and basically gives management a free ride in bargaining.

Well you donít expect the Trudeau government to open the check book for the unionized pasties do you ? Come now we have terrorists to sponsor , conferences to attend , and starving migrants pouring through our borders , you canít expect posties to make a living wage .

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

unionized pasties

Wait. . . strippers have a union in Canada?

pgs
Free Thinker

Wait. . . strippers have a union in Canada?

They used to belong to AFTA or somesuch back in the day .