Lack of sunspots to bring record cold, warns NASA scientist

petros
+1
The sky is falling.

“The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age,” wrote Dr Tony Phillips just six weeks ago, on 27 Sep 2018.

Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018 and Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding, says Phillips, editor of spaceweather.com.

Data from NASA’s TIMED satellite show that the thermosphere (the uppermost layer of air around our planet) is cooling and shrinking, literally decreasing the radius of the atmosphere.
To help track the latest developments, Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center and his colleagues recently introduced the “Thermosphere Climate Index.”

The Thermosphere Climate Index (TCI) tells how much heat nitric oxide (NO) molecules are dumping into space. During Solar Maximum, TCI is high (meaning “Hot”); during Solar Minimum, it is low (meaning “Cold”).

“Right now, it is very low indeed … 10 times smaller than we see during more active phases of the solar cycle,” says Mlynczak

Record cold in a matter of months

“If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold,” says Mlynczak. “We’re not there quite yet, but it could happen in a matter of months.”

MHz
A smaller dia atmosphere would translate to an increase in air pressure on a global scale. You forgot the right chart. Would that not increase the efficiency of the transfer of heat from the surface of the earth rather than hinder it?? Those are pretty short for covering a large swath of the past.

pgs
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
Does this mean we don’t need a carbon tax ?

Hoid
https://climate.nasa.gov/

The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 5

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 5

Figures lie and liars figure . But hey turn over your wealth and freedom to the benevolent government of prima Donna the prancing PM . He will save you. .

petros
+3
The Maunder Minimum never happened and neither is this minimum happening, it's all because if CO2.

petros

It never warmed after the Dalton and Maunder Minimums? Was it supposed to stay cold?

The Dalton Minimum was a period of low sunspot count, representing low solar activity, named after the English meteorologist John Dalton, lasting from about 1790 to 1830[1] or 1796 to 1820,[2] corresponding to the period solar cycle 4 to solar cycle 7.

TemperatureEdit
Like the Maunder Minimum and Spörer Minimum, the Dalton Minimum coincided with a period of lower-than-average global temperatures. During that period, there was a variation of temperature of about 1 °C in Germany.[3]

B00Mer
+1

Danbones
+1
Hell yeah!

Dixie Cup
+3

Key words: "On record". Doesn't mean it hasn't been warmer prior to and, of course, as we all know it has.

Danbones
When they say record breaking they are talking about the pieces of the record that the data was on.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Lack of sunspots to bring record cold, warns NASA scientist

we need more greenhouse gases.

MHz
There is enough bullshit being spread around to take care of that. It would bother me less if they weren't charging an arm and a leg for each version of what always tuns out to be bogus science. Maybe time to retire our current owners.

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Key words: "On record". Doesn't mean it hasn't been warmer prior to and, of course, as we all know it has.

You said a mouthful. Record breaking depends on the length of the record & based on what starting point....

Ron in Regina

From what I've read there is a correlation between global temperature averages & CO2 levels, but the CO2 levels raise after the temperature raises and not the other way around. CO2 levels raise as a consequence of increased temperatures, not temperatures increased as a consequence of increased CO2 levels.
You cite this:

But not this:

petros
+1
The "record" starts in 1951 and uses 1951-1980 as the mean temperature. Officially "AGW" kicked off in 1978.

Global mean surface temperature change from 1880 to 2017, relative to the 1951–1980 mean. The 1951-1980 mean is 14.2 °C (57.6 °F).[1] The black line is the global annual mean and the red line is the five-year lowess smooth. The blue uncertainty bars show a 95% confidence limit. Source: NASA GISS.

Even though AGW kicked off in 78 the 1880s constantly come up as the start of AGW as found at this link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inst...armest_periods

Ron in Regina
Probably why it was so easy to find the above graph that started in the......1880's.....

Ron in Regina
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

I'm with you here. Check this out. It seems like in times of warming its prosperous for humanity:

Ron in Regina
+3
Bad stuff seems to happen when the temperatures slide down from a peak.

Danbones
If you look at the death tolls ( man kills man en mass ) over the last two hundred years, It becomes clearly obvious that there are some people who enjoy and benefit from that happening to everyone else.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Bad stuff seems to happen when the temperatures slide down from a peak.

Really?? Where were you during the last ice-age?
Where the elephant was found would be similar to the herds of cows that died in a blizzard only it was in a fall that never ended, Baffin Island then south to NFLD and then west to the Rockies and north into Alaska as the last piece might tale 10,000 years all by itself and herds would die in that same way time after time after time.

Bad things happen when all your effort goes into getting ready for something and the opposite happens. Lacking accurate knowledge of the future is a lot different than being fed what is known to be bad information so you work towards your own extermination.
Green houses under a glacier is extinction, moving south with the rains is a 'vacation', no math to do on that one.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

If you look at the death tolls ( man kills man en mass ) over the last two hundred years, It becomes clearly obvious that there are some people who enjoy and benefit from that happening to everyone else.

At some point even they will have to admit they get more mileage when the boat is full of food rather than the latest infections.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Only thing missing is people, you notice that part or is that a country without a people kind of thing??

The green house with edible plants from all parts of the globe.

Helium filled plastic tubes would need how much weight on them to keep them from floating away.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Really?? Where were you during the last ice-age?

Apparently he's sitting at home posting on here during the current ice age.

MHz
You are not supposed to get a minus score in a comprehension test.

This is not an 'ice-age forecast'. It kills scooter season for sure.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...ary?from7day=1

petros
Are you willing to wager?

If I'm wrong about us still being in an ice age, I'll leave the forum forever.

If you are wrong are you willing to do the same?

MHz
That would sort of fuk up my plans to destroy the collective. Stick around, I'm not finished turning you into a grease spot yet.
If I have never supported the global warming program what other options are there if weather and climate are never static. Morocco will make great wine country once they get snow in the mountain regularly.
I'm going to assume you also support the desert regions being the same in both conditions and it is only the green areas closes to the polar regions that get covered with white and the lower portion never migrates south so that green distance remain the same.
Coming ice-age with two possibilities, we are in opposition on that, still want to bet where you say the green disappears and I'll take the one that the global desert belt is the one that disappears? That would mean not adopting another account so you can't be trusted to follow that demand. I already left for a few years without one visit, I never even thought about the place in that time.

Another option is you just shut the fuk up unless I'm speaking to you directly, . . . for starters, . . .

Danbones
+1
I just can't get past the proven lies proving " global warming ".

MHz

Post something similar or this is as far as it goes.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

That would sort of fuk up my plans to destroy the collective. Stick around, I'm not finished turning you into a grease spot yet.
If I have never supported the global warming program what other options are there if weather and climate are never static. Morocco will make great wine country once they get snow in the mountain regularly.
I'm going to assume you also support the desert regions being the same in both conditions and it is only the green areas closes to the polar regions that get covered with white and the lower portion never migrates south so that green distance remain the same.
Coming ice-age with two possibilities, we are in opposition on that, still want to bet where you say the green disappears and I'll take the one that the global desert belt is the one that disappears? That would mean not adopting another account so you can't be trusted to follow that demand. I already left for a few years without one visit, I never even thought about the place in that time.
Another option is you just shut the fuk up unless I'm speaking to you directly, . . . for starters, . . .

Are we or are we not in an ice age? Are you willing to leave for good if wrong?