Trudeau “proud to be a feminist”; against misogyny in gaming/Gamergate

mentalfloss
+2
Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau says he is "proud to be a feminist"

“There seems to be a lot of anger,” Pelletier asked, “not just at women, but at feminism and feminists. Would you describe yourself as a feminist?”

“Yes. Yes, I am a feminist,” said Trudeau. “I’m proud to be a feminist.” He went on to tell Pelletier that his mother raised him to be that way, and that his father, the popular two-time former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, “was a different generation, but he raised me to respect and defend everyone’s rights, and I deeply grounded my own identity in that.”

Trudeau added that the public should pay more attention to developments in popular culture like Gamergate—a long-running controversy about sexism and violence toward women in video game culture.

“The things we see online,” he said, “whether it is issues like gamergate or video games misogyny in popular culture, it is something that we need to stand clearly against.”

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau says he is "proud to be a feminist" - Quartz
Last edited by mentalfloss; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 12:35 AM..

HarperCons
Well I have to agree. The people behind "gamergate" are disgusting, disgraceful, abominations of humanity.

mentalfloss
+2
I'd agree with him as well but I also believe he needs to make it clear that he doesn't endorse censorship.

billshaver
+1
Gamergate!!! Where did this come from usa!! Eh!

HarperCons
+1
what is censorship though? for instance, these gamegate dweebs think they should be allowed to spew misogynistic hate speech , this contributes nothing but exactly that, hate speech. why should this be allowed under the guise of "free speech"?
there is a difference i believe in free speech, and hate speech.

mentalfloss
The problem is that what is considered offensive is a matter of opinion and there can be varying degrees acceptance.

Therefore, you can speak out against any hateful message in media but you also need to give the artist the freedom to cross that line and the people to choose for themselves if they accept the artist's decision or not.

Gamergate itself is just a conduit for bigotry though.

HarperCons
denigrating an entire gender really is disgraceful , objectively. i don't think it's a matter of opinion in this case, but an atrocious reality.

mentalfloss
+1
You are not saying anything that disagrees with my post.

Edit: Ah, 'objective'.

I agree it's disgraceful, but I believe it would be more appropriate to acknowledge that it is a matter of judgment which is becoming less universally accepted.

But to put a different spin on this, Trudeau comes off as hypocritical as he tends to objectify himself.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 01:21 AM..

HarperCons
except that what is offensive is not always a matter of opinion. for instance, gamer gate dweebs disgraceful opinions on the opposite sex is objectively vile.

mentalfloss
Look, I know a this is a bit of semantics but we could live in world that could claim the exact opposite of your assertion as 'objective'.

Values are not objective, that's what makes them values.

HarperCons
anti-female isn't a value

mentalfloss
Equality is a value.

There are entire species that will exist indefinitely without it.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 01:08 AM..

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
Oh fukk here we go. He's going to get a sex change like Bruce.

mentalfloss

I wanted a progressive PM but even I'm kind of shocked.

As long as he doesn't go all authoritarian on us, we'll be okay.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
It is difficult to apply what is acceptable when it comes to social Mora's.
However I think there is a definite point where free speech crosses the
line into something more sinister. The trouble is who defines when the
line has been crossed? There is a difference between free speech and
hate speech and that line is personal responsibility for what is said

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
+2
Hopefully your guy will be more than just lip service like ours is down here. Interested more in his "legacy" than the interest of the people.

I get so tired of hearing politicians talk I could puke.

mentalfloss
It’s been a terrible decade under Stephen Harper: Porter

Feminists across the country are emerging from their bomb shelters, and blinking in the stark light of day to assess the damage of the past decade under the Stephen Harper government

The Harper government stopped funding research into women’s equality. It shuttered up a dozen of its Status of Women offices, and stripped the word “equality” from its mandate. It cut off feminist groups who were lobbying for change.

“We’ve lost the voices of women working in communities, on the front lines,” says Kate McInturff, a senior researcher at the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. She had been the executive director of the Feminist Alliance For International Action (FAFIA), tracking our government’s progress on UN commitments to women’s rights, before the Conservatives cut its funding. She fired her staff and fired herself.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/...er-porter.html

IdRatherBeSkiing
+7
#18  Top Rated Post
We need research into woman's equality? What's to research? They are equal.

When somebody asks what government waste is, now I have an answer.

EagleSmack
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

We need research into woman's equality? What's to research? They are equal.

When somebody asks what government waste is, now I have an answer.

It is not about reality... it is about perception. The Canadian Liberals are now puppets of the US Democrats. All of this talk I am hearing now in Canada is what I've been hearing for over a decade. The Libs won and now it is time to drive massive wedges between Canadians to make sure the fear stays fresh.

mentalfloss
What you think is a waste is not what Canadians have decided unfortunately.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I wanted a progressive PM but even I'm kind of shocked.

As long as he doesn't go all authoritarian on us, we'll be okay.

Well the only time marshall law was enforced was during his father's tenure .
But I really don't think Justin will go all authoritarian at all .

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2

What you think is a waste is not what Canadians have decided unfortunately.

I don't recall this on his platform about how he was going to start funding all the 2 bit liberal arts losers who are too lazy to do real work. I thought he was going to spend on infrastructure. But like Kathy Wynn, what he promised means nothing after elected.

mentalfloss
Poor Ontario

IdRatherBeSkiing

Poor Ontario

Precisely.

mentalfloss
Yes, indeed.

darkbeaver
Republican

I'd agree with him as well but I also believe he needs to make it clear that he doesn't endorse censorship.

When does he actually get to the office? Certainly he can't do that. Censorship is not necessarily anti social is it?

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I don't recall this on his platform about how he was going to start funding all the 2 bit liberal arts losers who are too lazy to do real work. I thought he was going to spend on infrastructure. But like Kathy Wynn, what he promised means nothing after elected.

We will need an army of talented poster makers in the coming information age.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Oh yeah, Trudeau is already taking on the big issues that concern us all... life changing..

Not much into Video Games, first I've heard of "Gamergate" and don't they already have laws in place that talk work place discrimination?

I suggest these ladies get together and file a class action lawsuit. You would be surprise how attitudes change when your face with a million dollar settlement.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Oh yeah, Trudeau is already taking on the big issues that concern us all... life changing..

Geezus Boomer he's got to work up with stretches and some jogging before he starts in to the heavy stuff. You can pull muscles if you don't warm up.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Geezus Boomer he's got to work up with stretches and some jogging before he starts in to the heavy stuff. You can pull muscles if you don't warm up.

Start with TPP!!! Abolish the dam thing!!!

darkbeaver
Republican
If my prime minister can be a feminist so can I. Is there a Wellness Canada booklet?

Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Start with TPP!!! Abolish the dam thing!!!

Look it's too close to Christmas to get into that right now.