New York travel - Suggestions?


Chiliagon
#1
hey everyone!

I am working on a trip next summer to NEW YORK CITY!
At this point I am going for 2 weeks..

I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do the trip but I want all the suggestions and advice you can think of.

more along the lines of where to stay, cheapest way to get around, save money..

I know a lot about the city but I would love suggestions for where you'd go and even past vacations! advice on what to do, where to go, what to avoid.. etc
 
Chiliagon
#2
well? hehe
 
EagleSmack
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

hey everyone!

I am working on a trip next summer to NEW YORK CITY!
At this point I am going for 2 weeks..

I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do the trip but I want all the suggestions and advice you can think of.

more along the lines of where to stay, cheapest way to get around, save money..

I know a lot about the city but I would love suggestions for where you'd go and even past vacations! advice on what to do, where to go, what to avoid.. etc

Well I just got back from NYC and I have to say...prepare to have a great time!

You're going to NYC so you are going to spend money. There is no way around it. You could try the Doubletree in Times Square because you will be right in the middle of the action and it won't kill your bank account. However you are staying for two weeks and two weeks in any hotel is going to cost money.

If you are staying for 2 weeks I'd suggest getting a NYC travel book from a bookstore. The money upfront will save you BIG money when you get there. You can spend lots of money in restaurants so these vacation books shows you the places to get good food for moderate prices. NYC is expensive and can get REAL expensive after two weeks.

If you are looking to shop and get cheap "knock-off" jewelry or bags...go to Chinatown...and use the black market. I'm not kidding! Just walk through Chinatown and you will see folks on the sidewalks. It is common. Cash only of course.

Little Italy is great for food and the restaurants cut deals right there on the sidewalk in front of their menus.

"Freea drinksa for a the kidza...We gotta the pizza and the parmigiana."

Don't walk in the first place you see, look at all the menus in Little Italy.

Statue of Liberty is great but go early in the morning as the lines get long. The Empire State building...do that at night as the lines will be MUCH shorter.

Also, speak to the Grayline Tour Bus guys. They are on just about every corner and you can get great deals for all NYC attractions and shows. They are the tour buses and they do an uptown loop (from Central Park, WTC Ground Zero (which is now a construction site) the waterfront, etc.) They also do a downtown loop that goes through the other side of Manhattan. They also do a non-stop night loop through Brooklyn which is great. During the day these tour busses stop frequently so you can get off and get back on. They are constantly running and wait time for us was minimal. Some buses are right behind each other. These tour busses have the open top and that was great. Each bus has a guide and points out areas of interest.

Avoid the Brooklyn Diner near Times Square. It is a great place but I had a tough time spending $16 for two eggs. The word "diner" was deceiving to me. If you sit down at a place and your eyes pop out of your head when you see the prices do not be afraid of getting up and walking out. It's your money and they will forget about you as soon as you walk out the door. I wish I did that at the Brooklyn Diner!

Any other questions?
 
Chiliagon
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Well I just got back from NYC and I have to say...prepare to have a great time!

You're going to NYC so you are going to spend money. There is no way around it. You could try the Doubletree in Times Square because you will be right in the middle of the action and it won't kill your bank account. However you are staying for two weeks and two weeks in any hotel is going to cost money.

If you are staying for 2 weeks I'd suggest getting a NYC travel book from a bookstore. The money upfront will save you BIG money when you get there. You can spend lots of money in restaurants so these vacation books shows you the places to get good food for moderate prices. NYC is expensive and can get REAL expensive after two weeks.

If you are looking to shop and get cheap "knock-off" jewelry or bags...go to Chinatown...and use the black market. I'm not kidding! Just walk through Chinatown and you will see folks on the sidewalks. It is common. Cash only of course.

Little Italy is great for food and the restaurants cut deals right there on the sidewalk in front of their menus.

"Freea drinksa for a the kidza...We gotta the pizza and the parmigiana."

Don't walk in the first place you see, look at all the menus in Little Italy.

Statue of Liberty is great but go early in the morning as the lines get long. The Empire State building...do that at night as the lines will be MUCH shorter.

Also, speak to the Grayline Tour Bus guys. They are on just about every corner and you can get great deals for all NYC attractions and shows. They are the tour buses and they do an uptown loop (from Central Park, WTC Ground Zero (which is now a construction site) the waterfront, etc.) They also do a downtown loop that goes through the other side of Manhattan. They also do a non-stop night loop through Brooklyn which is great. During the day these tour busses stop frequently so you can get off and get back on. They are constantly running and wait time for us was minimal. Some buses are right behind each other. These tour busses have the open top and that was great. Each bus has a guide and points out areas of interest.

Avoid the Brooklyn Diner near Times Square. It is a great place but I had a tough time spending $16 for two eggs. The word "diner" was deceiving to me. If you sit down at a place and your eyes pop out of your head when you see the prices do not be afraid of getting up and walking out. It's your money and they will forget about you as soon as you walk out the door. I wish I did that at the Brooklyn Diner!

Any other questions?


well i'm sure that I'll have some, just can't think of any right now.

Ya I am sure that I'll be spending money which is why I'll be saving up a lot.
 
Andem
#5
How does NYC travel have to do with Science & Environment?

Moved to Hot Topics.
 
Chiliagon
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post

How does NYC travel have to do with Science & Environment?

Moved to Hot Topics.

because I didn't know where to put it.

maybe have a Travel and exploration section??
 
EagleSmack
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

well i'm sure that I'll have some, just can't think of any right now.

Ya I am sure that I'll be spending money which is why I'll be saving up a lot.

You're welcome btw
 
Walter
#8
My flight out of JFK got cancelled and I’ve been rerouted to La Guardia for a red eye to TO through Philly, what a pain. I don’t like airport beer and the only TV is CNN. Good thing the Wifi is working cuz is wasn’t at JFK.
 
Curious Cdn
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

My flight out of JFK got cancelled and Iíve been rerouted to La Guardia for a red eye to TO through Philly, what a pain. I donít like airport beer and the only TV is CNN. Good thing the Wifi is working cuz is wasnít at JFK.

Jet Blue, eh, ya cheapskate?
 
Walter
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Jet Blue, eh, ya cheapskate?

American Airlines.

Never had a problem with them before. C’est la vie.
 
White_Unifier
+1
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

My flight out of JFK got cancelled and Iíve been rerouted to La Guardia for a red eye to TO through Philly, what a pain. I donít like airport beer and the only TV is CNN. Good thing the Wifi is working cuz is wasnít at JFK.

They were rerouted because you were too drunk? I hope they didn't sue you for it.
 
Curious Cdn
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

American Airlines.

Never had a problem with them before. Cíest la vie.

"The Proud Bird With the Cast Iron Tail"
 
MHz
+1
#13
For a second I thought you meant people went there willingly, lol.
 
Walter
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

For a second I thought you meant people went there willingly, lol.

Where?
 
MHz
#15
You know, . . .'there' where the people that live 'there' are. I hear it smells like 'cotton candy' and once there you can never really totally leave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384
 
Walter
+1
#16
I have no idea what you’re talking about.
 
Curious Cdn
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I have no idea what youíre talking about.

Nor I, Walter.

Nor I ...
 
MHz
+1 / -1
#18
Perhaps that is because my comment was meant for somebody else. The 2nd option isn't as kind.

Might I suggest you 2 get a room till you do figure it out.
 
petros
#19
Noix!
 
MHz
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

My flight out of JFK got cancelled and Iíve been rerouted to La Guardia for a red eye to TO through Philly, what a pain. I donít like airport beer and the only TV is CNN. Good thing the Wifi is working cuz is wasnít at JFK.

I didn't realize you were a jet setter there Walter. I mistook you more for the Mr. Magoo type of 'older chap' who is lucky to get home without having to ask for direction more than 2 days in a row. Might also explain why you have an abnormal passion of things to do with US Presidents than any other Canadian from any age group.
As a Canadian I usually promote seeing Canada before you are off to 'a better place' that is void of anything Canadian.
 
Curious Cdn
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

I didn't realize you were a jet setter there Walter. I mistook you more for the Mr. Magoo type of 'older chap' who is lucky to get home without having to ask for direction more than 2 days in a row. Might also explain why you have an abnormal passion of things to do with US Presidents than any other Canadian from any age group.
As a Canadian I usually promote seeing Canada before you are off to 'a better place' that is void of anything Canadian.

Inspired of the plate in his head causes problems at the metal detector?
 
MHz
#22
Nothing compared to the same plate and the trouble it causes for others.

Let me guess, he went economy and got aluminum rather than stainless steel. Now the short circuiting has started.
 
darkbeaver
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

I didn't realize you were a jet setter there Walter. I mistook you more for the Mr. Magoo type of 'older chap' who is lucky to get home without having to ask for direction more than 2 days in a row. Might also explain why you have an abnormal passion of things to do with US Presidents than any other Canadian from any age group.
As a Canadian I usually promote seeing Canada before you are off to 'a better place' that is void of anything Canadian.


New Yuck. Asshole of Earth.



Get an ounce of weed and a flat of beer and save some real money, fuk don,t you have TV? Isn,t there a municiple cess pool you could tour in your community?

It,s about time.

A vacation in the anus of the planet, how wonderful to explore the shjt stained bank buildings. Jeesus man/person adopt a drug habit and save yourself fer fuk sake.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Nothing compared to the same plate and the trouble it causes for others.

Let me guess, he went economy and got aluminum rather than stainless steel. Now the short circuiting has started.


I,m happy to see that your operation was a success.
 
Blackleaf
#24
There's the New York area of Rotherham. There are lots of great places to visit there, like Rotherham United FC's New York Stadium and the site of the former Guest and Chrimes Foundry which made New York City's fire hydrants.

For an added treat, you could bring your daughter along and have her brutally gang-raped by a bunch of the lovely local Muslim men.
 
Curious Cdn
#25
Go to Central Park on a sunny, Sunday afternoon during a warm season.
 

Similar Threads

61
Suggestions for new GG
by Walter | Apr 6th, 2010
28
I need suggestions for charity work
by unclepercy | Sep 5th, 2008
7
suggestions for new ranking system
by hermanntrude | Jan 25th, 2007