American Culture of Violence & It's Related Politics


Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#91
Florida school shooting suspect is ‘troubled’ former student obsessed with guns

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/florid...8887-719638119



SEVENTEEN kids dead. .......but guns are there to stay. with no real intention of even modifying the gun laws......and who can have them. They are too scared to demand a psych evaluation before selling anyone a gun.

The only thing that might happen........is that TEACHERS will be encouraged to have guns on their person.........

They have already mentioned that bit of insanity.

Not to worry Gun fanatics....... YOUR guns *ownership) are safe. It is the kids and other people that are not.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
#92
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Florida school shooting suspect is ‘troubled’ former student obsessed with guns

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/florid...8887-719638119



SEVENTEEN kids dead. .......but guns are there to stay. with no real intention of even modifying the gun laws......and who can have them. They are too scared to demand a psych evaluation before selling anyone a gun.

The only thing that might happen........is that TEACHERS will be encouraged to have guns on their person.........

They have already mentioned that bit of insanity.

Not to worry Gun fanatics....... YOUR guns *ownership) are safe. It is the kids and other people that are not.

That may well be but the shooter also has rights, you know.


Maybe, one of the kids in the school has been stealing. That's grounds for summary execution, now. The other kids are... you know ... collateral damage. You can't make a souffle without breaking some eggs but justice will be done!
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#93
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

That may well be but the shooter also has rights, you know.


Maybe, one of the kids in the school has been stealing. That's grounds for summary execution, now. The other kids are... you know ... collateral damage. You can't make a souffle without breaking some eggs but justice will be done!

Yes...the shooter certainly has (had ) rights to ...gun ownership.

Perhaps in his mind : justice has already been done.......

It seems like some perverse competition to see who can shoot the most ( in numbers )at one mass shooting.
 
Murphy
Conservative
#94
Perhaps. Competitions are popular.

Trying to twist things again, OB? At least you tried to argue a point. I'm not quite sure what it was, but it's progress.

How about you work on posting something that you would like to discuss, and then put down, in your own words, what you think? Use the article to support your thoughts.

That means no childish things like "spot on" or "the Trumpster". I know you can do it.

Put some thought into your posts, if you can.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#95
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Yes...the shooter certainly has (had ) rights to ...gun ownership.

Perhaps in his mind : justice has already been done.......

It seems like some perverse competition to see who can shoot the most ( in numbers )at one mass shooting.

Well, in that case, this guy didn't get anywhere near the podium. To the best of my knowledge, silver medal goes to Omar Mateen with 49, and the reigning champion is Kintpuash with 50 in one day (extra credit because they were shooting back).

(OK, Stephen Paddock got 58 in Las Vegas, but as I said, Kintpuash's "victims" were armed, trained, and shooting back).
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
#96
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post


Put some thought into your posts, if you can.

Put some thought into your existence, if you can.
 
Walter
+1
#97
This will get Trump out of the WH for sure.
 
Hoid
+2
#98
At least race will not be a factor here - it never is when the shooter is white.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
-1
#99
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

This will get Trump out of the WH for sure.

On what basis??

Quote:

t the shooter also has rights, you know.

..particularity when he is white. (Caucasian)
 
Murphy
Conservative
#100
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

This will get Trump out of the WH for sure.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

On what basis??

I wonder, could that have been sarcasm?



Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

...particularity when he is white. (Caucasian)

Is that sarcasm?
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
#101
Smurphy, are you a pompous ass in real life too?
 
Murphy
Conservative
+1
#102
Only with people like you.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
#103
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Smurphy, are you a pompous ass in real life too?

I believe that you can tick off the "YES" box ..
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#104
Florida Shooting: Nikolas Cruz Is Charged With 17 Counts of Murder

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/u...pgtype=article



*********

BBC reporting last evening.......
US has more than one gun per person ( ie number of guns in personal possession is larger than the population of the country.

Just a wee factoid to think about when you travel there.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#105
We are absolutely safe in Canada....
Dec 25, 2017 - In the last 12 months, police statistics show there have been 375 shooting occurrences, resulting in 565 victims — essentially double what the city experienced just three years ago.

HOMICIDES 2017: Most of Toronto’s victims killed by guns | Toronto Sun
 
petros
+2
#106
Is a Mini 14 more or less deadly than an AR-15?

How do they differ?
 
Walter
+1
#107
How Stupid Is The FBI? Couldn't Find HS Shooter — Even Though He Used REAL NAME In YouTube Threat!
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#108
Trump says arming teachers could prevent school massacres

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/tru...ool-massacres/

Is their job to TEACH or play security guard?? "

Ridiculous idea........ promoted by NRA

There were some good ideas during the "listening" session with Trump.


Perhaps Trump should not have reverse the law about people with mental illness and gun purchases.

***
CNN reporting: NRA released a statement indicating that changing the age of persons buying guns would not be a good idea.

Gee what a surprise. It is a message to Trump about who contributed millions to his coffers.



Shame on America........Your guns are more important than kids, pre adults, and people in general. Guns for "self defense".......... shootings of all kinds..........Guns for self defense from the shootings.......... more shootings as access to guns is so easy..........and the cycle of violence is established ......with the NRA's support and encouragement.


DEMANDING ACTION............is not enough...........without saying WHAT KIND OF ACTION. The gov't ,the NRA and other dinosaurs need diagrams.

IF anything changes.......it will be a mere bone tossed to the peons.


Credit to Trump for at least having a listening session..........Now lets see what he does.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#109
WOW, after seeing the trump hating people OB likes take over countries like China, and take their guns away, and then kill millions of people, I am not sure that trump is in that class.
mao 38,000,000.
PrC 76,702,000
https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM
That's a lot of dead people there OB, are you sure that's what you want for america?

Though the nazis and communists and the cia that HATES him was instrumental in installing some of the leaders that did some of these slaughters.

Funny what the actual facts are eh?
Last edited by Danbones; Feb 21st, 2018 at 07:22 PM..
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#110

Credit to Trump for at least having a listening session..........Now lets see what he does.


How about wait until it all blows over in a week or two?
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#111
The FBI will just coach another school or church shooting to blame on him.

F.B.I. Was Warned of Florida Suspect’s Desire to Kill but Did Not Act
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/u...-shooting.html

Say remember the underwear bomber? Same deal. The dad called them and said his son was about to do something and then THEY ( well, likely a CIA guy, being it was from a foreign country headed to the US ) put him on the PLANE without a passport, and were filming him do the act!!!

The Colossal Deceit Known As The Underwear Bomber Case

by Kurt Haskell

With jury selection set to begin in the Underwear Bomber Trial set to begin tomorrow, I've spent the evening reminiscing about Christmas Day 2009 and the 21 months since.

The Underwear Bomber attack has fundamentally changed my life.

Not in the way most would think, but it has destroyed any faith I've had in the U.S. Government, the media and this country as a whole. To say that I believe the government is corrupt and the media is complicit doesn't fully explain my beliefs.

Not only have I come to those conclusions, but I've witnessed that an ordinary person who sees something important can be silenced despite his efforts to spread the truth.

Such is the Underwear Bomber case.

I can do nothing but laugh at the TSA's new policy of "If you see something say something." That is exactly what I did, and not only did the U.S. Government not want to hear what I had to say, but it actively lied about it, attempted to get me to change my story, and hid, by withholding (secret government) evidence or putting a protective order on the evidence and nearly everything that would support my eyewitness account.
http://haskellfamily.blogspot.ca/201...underwear.html

Kurt Haskel was a lawyer who witnessed the whole thing from start to finish.
Last edited by Danbones; Feb 21st, 2018 at 07:32 PM..
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#112
The second amendment is NOT a license to kill.


The message from the young adults is better GUN controls ........along with more exhaustive background checks..... (back ground checks to include history of mental illness.


The big question is :

WHY IN HECK DOES ANYONE NEED those high powered riffles.??


They just justify their desire for them. with rationalizations.


How many of these weapons are a WANT as opposed to NEED?? (a REAL need not an imagined one)
 
Murphy
Conservative
#113
Actually, the 2nd Amendment is a license to kill. It authorizes the use of armed militias to protect the security of a free state - the US specifically. That might involve killing, so yes, the 2nd Amendment is a license to kill.

Just thought you should know.
Last edited by Murphy; Feb 21st, 2018 at 08:37 PM..
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#114
NOW is the time to talk about gun CONTROL and common sense gun laws .

The NRA should not dictate what laws can be passes and what can't. The NRA has held real change hostage for too long.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#115
You must be armed or you will fail to make your point these days.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#116
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

The second amendment is NOT a license to kill.


The message from the young adults is better GUN controls ........along with more exhaustive background checks..... (back ground checks to include history of mental illness.


The big question is :

WHY IN HECK DOES ANYONE NEED those high powered riffles.??


They just justify their desire for them. with rationalizations.


How many of these weapons are a WANT as opposed to NEED?? (a REAL need not an imagined one)

Well, I was certainly glad I had my .308 and five 20-round magazines the other day at the range when I was attacked by a horde of the paper people. I HATE those flat bastards!

Perforated 'em, too!
 
Murphy
Conservative
#117
The NRA doesn't dictate anything. They are but one of a large number of lobby groups in Washington. Wikipedia estimates that there are 15,000 federal lobbyists in Washington, DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbyi..._United_States

The definition of a lobbyist is any individual who is employed or retained by a client for financial or other compensation for services that include more than one lobbying contact, other than an individual whose lobbying activities constitute less than 20 percent of the time engaged in the services provided by such individual to that client over a three-month period".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbyi...re_Act_of_1995

So, if you, or more specifically, any US citizen wants to chase the NRA out of Washington, he or she will have to chase a bunch of others out as well.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#118
It,s going to get cold and brutal. You may have to steal firewood and victuals, with weapons, global harvest down this year,now would be a good time to publish, how to cook pets, a book I,ve been wojkin on for years
 
Tecumsehsbones
#119
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

The NRA doesn't dictate anything. They are but one of a large number of lobby groups in Washington. Wikipedia estimates that there are 15,000 federal lobbyists in Washington, DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbyi..._United_States

The definition of a lobbyist is any individual who is employed or retained by a client for financial or other compensation for services that include more than one lobbying contact, other than an individual whose lobbying activities constitute less than 20 percent of the time engaged in the services provided by such individual to that client over a three-month period".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbyi...re_Act_of_1995

So, if you, or more specifically, any US citizen wants to chase the NRA out of Washington, he or she will have to chase a bunch of others out as well.

HCI are lobbyists too (look it up).
 
Murphy
Conservative
+1
#120
I already did. For OBs's sake, and others -

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...&showYear=2017

According to the above link, the NRA spent a little over $5 million dollars. Chump change in comparison to others on the list. Here are the top 20 registered lobby groups, rated by the amount spent lobbying.

All of these groups - including the NRA - are operating legally. So OB, are you proposing that the NRA should be denied their right to lobby?

Lobbying Client Total

US Chamber of Commerce $82,190,000
National Assn of Realtors $54,530,861
Business Roundtable $27,380,000
Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America $25,847,500
Blue Cross/Blue Shield $24,330,306
American Hospital Assn $22,064,214
American Medical Assn $21,535,000
Alphabet Inc $18,140,000
AT&T Inc $16,780,000
Boeing Co $16,740,000
Open Society Policy Center $16,110,000
DowDuPont $15,877,520
National Assn of Broadcasters $15,460,000
Comcast Corp $15,310,000
Lockheed Martin $14,464,290
Amazon.com $13,000,000
Southern Co $12,970,000
National Retail Federation $12,890,000
NCTA The Internet & Television Assn $12,790,000
Oracle Corp $12,385,000