New Zealand: ground breaking legislation.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

It seems a little hypocritical you railing against Brexit yet at the same time advocating Canada's secession from the Commonwealth, especially when Canada is a sovereign state despite its membership of the Commonwealth but Britain isn't because of her membership of the EU.

How do you justify your hypocritical stance?

i think sovereign is another of those words that you don't really understand

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

i think sovereign is another of those words that you don't really understand

I understand what it means.

Canada is a sovereign nation state. Britain isn't.

It's as simple as that.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

"Succession" from the Commonwealth? What the hell fonyou think the Commonwealth is, anyway?
It ain't worth diddly-squat and if we decided that it was a waste of time, the cost to us would be $0.00

So you're a hypocrite then.

Do you realise how much you look like a Brexiteer in that post? The ONLY difference being that you want out of the Commonwealth and we want out of the EU. Now you know how Leavers feel.

Except it's worse for us, because we're not a sovereign state and you are.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

So you're a hypocrite then.

All the Commonwealth is, is a salve to the feelings of the poor Brits who watched their Empire sink into the Western Seas. It is not a trading Bloc, an economic agreement, a common political body, a common cultural body and the term "Commonwealth," itself is a distant echo of the days when the British looted a quarter of the planet with impunity.

The Commonwealth s nothing at all like the EU. It's a nice old tradition but it's basically worthless to us.

Blackleaf

The Commonwealth s nothing at all like the EU.

Thank God.

Blackleaf
Shall I tell you what the Commonwealth would be like if it was like the EU? It may shock you, so I'm warning you beforehand.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Shall I tell you what the Commonwealth would be like if it was like the EU? It may shock you, so I'm warn you beforehand.

you mean, London would FORCE us to play Cricket And love it, too?

Blackleaf

you mean, London would FORCE us to play Cricket And love it, too?

If the Commonwealth was like the EU Canada would, right now, be ruled by mainly foreign politicians in the Commonwealth Parliament in London. Your own elected Parliament would be largely redundant - all the power over the governance of your country would reside in unelected Commonwealth officials in the Commonwealth Parliament in London. You may have to abolish the dollar and adopt the pound as your currency. That would mean seeing your interest rates controlled by the Commonwealth Central Bank in London - which would always set them to suit the British economy and not Canada's. You wouldn't see the Canadian flag flying on your public buildings: the Commonwealth flag would be fluttering proudly instead. 90% of Canada's laws wouldn't come from elected Canadians in Canada's Parliament. They'd be made by unelected foreigners in London. You'd have the fleets of Commonwealth fishing vessels stealing your fish in your waters. You'd have to accept the free movement of people: no controls on the numbers and quality of fellow Commonwealth citizens you let into your country. You'd have no independent global trading policy: that would be controlled by unelected foreigners in London.

For all these wonderful privileges, Canada would have to contribute £13 billion a year to the Commonwealth budget whether you like it or not.

But I know you're ignorant to all this because you're completely ignorant as to the true nature of the EU and what it's like to live in it.

Hopefully, bow you have a better idea.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

If the Commonwealth was like the EU Canada would, right now, be ruled by mainly foreign politicians in the Commonwealth Parliament in London. Your own elected Parliament would be largely redundant - all the power over the governance of your country would reside in unelected Commonwealth officials in the Commonwealth Parliament in London. You may have to abolish the dollar and adopt the pound as your currency. That would mean seeing your interest rates controlled by the Commonwealth Central Bank in London - which would always set them to suit the British economy and not Canada's. You wouldn't see the Canadian flag flying on your public buildings: the Commonwealth flag would be fluttering proudly instead. 90% of Canada's laws wouldn't come from elected Canadians in Canada's Parliament. They'd be made by unelected foreigners in London. You'd have the fleets of Commonwealth fishing vessels stealing your fish in your waters. You'd have to accept the free movement of people: no controls on the numbers and quality of fellow Commonwealth citizens you let into your country. You'd have no independent global trading policy: that would be controlled by unelected foreigners in London.
For all these wonderful privileges, Canada would have to contribute £13 billion a year to the Commonwealth budget whether you like it or not.
But I know you're ignorant to all this because you're completely ignorant as to the true nature of the EU and what it's like to live in it.
Hopefully, bow you have a better idea.

... just like we were before the Statute of Westminster back in1931 ...

Blackleaf

... just like we were before the Statute of Westminster back in1931 ...

Whilst that's obviously bollocks, what's that got to do with 2019?

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Whilst that's obviously bollocks, what's that got to do with 2019?

That's when we finally won our freedom from you.

Blackleaf

That's when we finally won our freedom from you.

So it's okay Canada gaining its independence but not Britain?

Curious Cdn
Conservative

So it's okay Canada gaining its independence but not Britain?

We didn't need you for anything, whatsoever.

You need Europe to eat.

By the way, do you REALLY live in the UK (it's 0215 there, right now) or are you just some sort of weird undead Brexiter looking for some brains?

Blackleaf
Not that your inane ramblings and opinions make any difference.

We Brexiteers will keep fighting the Remainers until Britain regains her independence and sovereignty from the EU, even if it means a fourth (at least) civil war. We'll win eventually. And nonsensical ramblings by foreigners like you will play no part in the proceedings.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Not that your inane ramblings and opinions make any difference.
We Brexiteers will keep fighting the Remainers until Britain regains her independence and sovereignty from the EU, even if it means a fourth (at least) civil war. We'll win eventually. And nonsensical ramblings by foreigners like you will play no part in the proceedings.

Insomnia is rotting your brain, Kipper.

Blackleaf

You need Europe to eat.

So you're saying that the EU sells us more food than we sell them.

So, financially, on that matter, the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.

As for "needing the EU" for food, Britain ranks in the top three countries in the world, above Canada and very EU state bar one, for food security: being able to feed its own citizens.

Blackleaf

Insomnia is rotting your brain, Kipper.

I don't suffer insomnia. I finish work late at night and then wind down by having a few hours of leisure time on here. I just do what you do.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

So you're saying that the EU sells us more food than we sell them.
So, financially, on that matter, the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.
As for "needing the EU" for food, Britain ranks in the top three countries in the world, above Canada and very EU state bar one, for food security: being able to feed its own citizens.

If you stop shipping food to the EU, they buy it somewhere else.

If you stop receiving food from the EU, it's a fecking humanitarian crisis and we and the Americans are shipping relief supplies to you for the third time in just over a century.

Blackleaf

If you stop shipping food to the EU, they buy it somewhere else.
If you stop receiving food from the EU, it's a fecking humanitarian crisis and we and the Americans are shipping relief supplies to you for the third time in just over a century.

The EU only provides 30% of UK food. By far the most (50%) of British food comes from Britain.

Britain ranks third for food security - higher than Canada and joint with the US.

You saying it'd be a humanitarian crisis is a slight exaggeration. It's bollocks, basically.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

The EU only provides 30% of UK food. By far the most (50%) of British food comes from Britain.
Britain ranks third for food security - higher than Canada and joint with the US.

Why do I find that last statement to be total, unadulterated, Grade "A" bullshit?

Blackleaf
+1

Why do I find that last statement to be total, unadulterated, Grade "A" bullshit?

Because you're stupid?

Blackleaf
Food security index 2018:

1) Singapore: 85.9
2) Rep of Ireland: 85.5
3) UK/USA: 85

Serryah
Free Thinker
I think it depends on what kind of 'food' you're talking about. A lot of fresh produce does come into the UK via the EU and other countries. Processed stuff does seem to take much of the 50% of food for the UK is made in the UK deal.