Omar Khadr- Release him now

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I think it's time to spring him loose. If an A$$hole like Conrad Black can get out in 61/2 years, Omar should have been released years ago. If he did in fact murder someone (which is highly dubious) he should have been charged and tried at the time. After 8 years of torture, further incarceration is Bullsh*t.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I think it's time to spring him loose. If an A$$hole like Conrad Black can get out in 61/2 years, Omar should have been released years ago.

Conrad didn't kill anyone.

CDNBear

I think it's time to spring him loose.

I agree, he should be put on a plane bound for Canada and sprung loose somewhere over the eastern seaboard, from 30,000 feet up.

Good call JLM...
Last edited by CDNBear; Apr 29th, 2010 at 06:49 AM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Conrad didn't kill anyone.

Not directly.

Walter

Not directly.

Or indirectly.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Conrad Black was a nice person who turned his back on Canada for a title Lord Black of Cross harbour

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Or indirectly.

Oh, so you don't think that someone who is used to a certain standard of living that finds himself out on the street at 70 years old won't suffer a diminished life expectancy. Get with the real world.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Conrad Black was a nice person who turned his back on Canada for a title Lord Black of Cross harbour

Phonier than a $3 bill.

Praxius
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Ummm.... a bit more has happened since then.

But to the topic, yes, bring him back. This would have all been done and over with years ago if they just dragged him through the already existing legal processes, found him guilty or not, and sent him to jail.

Instead, we have to continually hear about this in the news every time something happens or doesn't.... and then it starts all over again with one side saying to bring him home, others saying to let him rot because he deserves it, and others pulling the sarcasm of saying "Yeah bring him home to his hero's welcome and parade" as if that's going to guilt anybody into changing their minds.

Whatever the position someone has, I think most would agree to just get this damn thing over with and be done with it so we don't have to hear about it for much longer.

If he's guilty or not, chances are he'll released because of time served, he'll come back to Canada, write a book, make millions.... a movie is then made, and he becomes even richer.
Last edited by Praxius; Apr 29th, 2010 at 07:06 AM..

Walter

Oh, so you don't think that someone who is used to a certain standard of living that finds himself out on the street at 70 years old won't suffer a diminished life expectancy. Get with the real world.

Got a link?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Got a link?

Yep, the news over the past several years. He was charged with stealing life savings from thousands of people.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I agree, he should be put on a plane bound for Canada and sprung loose somewhere over the eastern seaboard, from 30,000 feet up.

Good call JLM...

Happy to see your usual level of humour this morning. Would that be hooked up or not hooked up to a parachute????????

CDNBear

Happy to see your usual level of humour this morning. Would that be hooked up or not hooked up to a parachute????????

No humour at all. And no parachute.

I have littel use for the Khadar family, at all.

There is a fine line between free speech and sedition, they've crossed it.

I submit we bring back hanging and make them the test case.

Slim Chance

I think it's time to spring him loose. If an A$$hole like Conrad Black can get out in 61/2 years, Omar should have been released years ago. If he did in fact murder someone (which is highly dubious) he should have been charged and tried at the time. After 8 years of torture, further incarceration is Bullsh*t.

Torture?... Well, that's what Omar and his lawyer say and as we all know, terrorists and defence lawyers are at the top of the ole ethics heap.

Rather than get into a grudge-match on our own versions of the events, how would you feel about Omar standing trial for the alleged misdeeds? To be more specific, seeing how the alleged offence occurred in Afghanistan, perhaps we can transfer him there to stand trial by Afghans.

Would that suit you?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post

Torture?... Well, that's what Omar and his lawyer say and as we all know, terrorists and defence lawyers are at the top of the ole ethics heap.

Rather than get into a grudge-match on our own versions of the events, how would you feel about Omar standing trial for the alleged misdeeds? To be more specific, seeing how the alleged offence occurred in Afghanistan, perhaps we can transfer him there to stand trial by Afghans.

Would that suit you?

Suits me just fine. And I won't even suggest throwing him out of the plane on the way there. But sometimes sh!t happens...

Slim Chance
I like your idea re: "sh*t happens", but I'm afraid that there are some people that might call that torture... (the prudes)

How about this: The windows on the plane's exterior get pretty dirty during flight and they don't just clean themselves... Maybe Omar can earn his way there by "volunteering" to be the in-flight window cleaner.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
We should bring him back, albeit with harsh restrictions placed upon him:

- No contact with his immediate family
- Forbidden to profit from his "story"
- Passport confiscated
- Mandatory counseling
- Probation for 10+ years

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post

I like your idea re: "sh*t happens", but I'm afraid that there are some people that might call that torture... (the prudes)

How about this: The windows on the plane's exterior get pretty dirty during flight and they don't just clean themselves... Maybe Omar can earn his way there by "volunteering" to be the in-flight window cleaner.

I like that idea, I'm a stickler for cleanliness and a stalwart believer in paying ones way through life. Or death, which ever the case may be...

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

We should bring him back, albeit with strict restrictions placed upon him:

- Passport confiscated
- Mandatory counseling
- A new teddy bear
- A Gov't cheque every week
- Free healthcare
- A live in nanny
- And someone to tuck him at night...

fify.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

fify.

haha, I personally would prefer that he never steps foot in Canada again, but that is unlikely so the best we can do is restrict & limit what he does here.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Here is a direct quote from Wikipedia

"In February 2008, the Pentagon accidentally released documents that revealed that although Khadr was present in the house, there was no other evidence that he had thrown the grenade. In fact, military officials had originally reported that another of the surviving militants had thrown the grenade just before being killed, and later rewrote their report to implicate Khadr instead. [3] "

What has happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? What has happened to the concept of a timely trial? Don't we as Canadians support the right to be held without being tortured? Don't we support our fellow Canadians until such time as they are proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt?

CDNBear

"In February 2008, the Pentagon accidentally released documents that revealed that although Khadr was present in the house, there was no other evidence that he had thrown the grenade. In fact, military officials had originally reported that another of the surviving militants had thrown the grenade just before being killed, and later rewrote their report to implicate Khadr instead. [3] "

What has happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? What has happened to the concept of a timely trial? Don't we as Canadians support the right to be held without being tortured? Don't we support our fellow Canadians until such time as they are proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt?

JLM, he wasn't there selling roses.

He has a history. That has already been discussed on this board. His intentions and presence in Afghanistan, was as an illegal foreign national, combatant. Un-uniformed and in violation of the Laws of Armed Conflict, as well as several international conventions.

He should have been shot on sight. His very life is a testament to the new ways of war.

Now, there is no provisions that dictate how an un-uniformed combatant shall be treated under the law. In past wars, they were summarily tried and executed. He wasn't. He's lucky.

This has nothing to do with Canadian Law, or US Law. This is uncharted territory. Given all that, his predicament is entirely his fault. Nothing more, nothing less.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

JLM, he wasn't there selling roses.

He has a history. That has already been discussed on this board. His intentions and presence in Afghanistan, was as an illegal foreign national, combatant. Un-uniformed and in violation of the Laws of Armed Conflict, as well as several international conventions.

He should have been shot on sight. His very life is a testament to the new ways of war.

Now, there is no provisions that dictate how an un-uniformed combatant shall be treated under the law. In past wars, they were summarily tried and executed. He wasn't. He's lucky.

This has nothing to do with Canadian Law, or US Law. This is uncharted territory. Given all that, his predicament is entirely his fault. Nothing more, nothing less.

OK, since you put it in those terms I'm reluctantly going to let you win this one. HOwever I think on account of his youth at the time, some leniency wouldn't hurt. Guess I'm just too nice of a guy.......

CDNBear

OK, since you put it in those terms I'm reluctantly going to let you win this one.

I wasn't actually in it to win it JLM. Just shed a little light on the situation.

Colpy is aware of the same legal standings and doesn't agree in letting him rot in Gitmo either.

Quote:

HOwever I think on account of his youth at the time, some leniency wouldn't hurt. Guess I'm just too nice of a guy.......

I agree, you are a nice guy, and I don't think people can be too nice.

Without your balance to the equation, people like Khadar would still be getting shot in the head in the middle of a war zone. It's good that not everyone is as cold as I am dude! Because at the end of the day, I might very well need to lean back on some of that tempered justice at some time.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Instead, we have to continually hear about this in the news every time something happens or doesn't.... and then it starts all over again with one side saying to bring him home, others saying to let him rot because he deserves it, and others pulling the sarcasm of saying "Yeah bring him home to his hero's welcome and parade" as if that's going to guilt anybody into changing their minds.

Oh I would not think Khadar's Fan Group would EVER change their minds on this one. So I do believe he should be sent home and have his ticker tape parade as good Canadian girls lay rose pedals before him.

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Hypothetical: 6 terrorists in a house, 5 start shooting and throwing grenades, 5 are killed and one is captured. That one is not innocent he was caught in the act. there is no presumption of innocence in this case. Would it have been better if we had just killed him also? Of course not, he was young, but non the less he was there and part of the terrorist group. He is still alive, and someday he will be allowed home, once we can be fairly sure he will not do it again.

Wonder what Canadian law says about a Canadian fighting for another country/organization against itself and or allies?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Oh I would not think Khadar's Fan Group would EVER change their minds on this one. So I do believe he should be sent home and have his ticker tape parade as good Canadian girls lay rose pedals before him.

Do you really think he's that popular amongst Canadians?

Praxius
Free Thinker

We should bring him back, albeit with harsh restrictions placed upon him:

- Passport confiscated
- Mandatory counseling

That's all make sense for a convicted criminal, and I'm not saying he's innocent, but he hasn't even been found guilty of anything yet, therefore forcing the above on him without even proving his guilt first is just a tad screwed up and is clearly based around an emotional response to the situation.

You can't tell someone they can't visit their own family, his mother even.... if he murdered someone and was found guilty of that murder, I'd agree on prohibiting him from making a book or movie and gaining profit from it..... however if he is found innocent/not guilty, there are no grounds to stop him.

Hypothetically speaking, if I was in his shoes, and hypothetically I truly didn't do anything in relation to what they're charging me for and I was then released after so many years.... writing a story and getting some money out of it would be one of my first steps..... I'd have to get back on my feet somehow, and if I went through all that crap for nothing and wasted 7-8 years of my life, I think I'd be slightly justified in getting something out of it.

Passport confiscated.... since he was a minor at the time his father took him over to Afghanistan and since I doubt he'd have much room to have a say in the matter (if his father was as many say he was) it was technically not his fault for being over there in the first place.

Mandatory counseling I would certainly agree with.

Probation for 10+ years?

For what?

Praxius
Free Thinker

Agreed.... way too many people seem to have difficulty sticking to the known facts and would just rather jump on the witch hunt band wagon due to emotional jargon.... as if the Law only applies as they see fit.

Good thing they're not in law enforcement.

EagleSmack

Do you really think he's that popular amongst Canadians?

Well I just go by CanCon. The Khadar issue has always been a split. Long ago one woman here said the pictures of him were so cute. Meanwhile he has an AK-47 behind him as he is holding the Quran up and another picture of him working with anti-tank mines. She said she just wants to give him a hug. So he does have a fan base up there.