The British Election

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker

An unpopular Trump casts a shadow over Britain��s general election

In Britain, more than any other country aside from the United States, he has sought to bolster his political allies and trash his detractors. British officials have been taken aback by such overt election interference by a close ally.

source: WAPO

the bloke just can't help himself...........Has to meddle where he is not wanted. He has no understanding of the boundaries of what is appropriate.

Serryah
Free Thinker
+1
So I expect Blackie at any moment to post how horrible it is for Trump to be commenting and trying to influence the British public in their election?

Blackleaf
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
He's not the first Yank in recent years to stick their oar into British democracy.

Serryah
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

He's not the first Yank in recent years to stick their oar into British democracy.

So you're thoroughly hate that Trump has done so?

Blackleaf
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

So you're thoroughly hate that Trump has done so?

I don't like foreigners meddling in British democracy.

I hope Trump doesn't start a war of words with Corbyn and Khan when he arrives for the NATO summit. It might help Labour's election prospects.

Serryah
Free Thinker

I don't like foreigners meddling in British democracy.

I hope Trump doesn't start a war of words with Corbyn and Khan when he arrives for the NATO summit. It might help Labour's election prospects.

So you admit that you don't like Trump throwing his opinion out into your politics?

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
But you were fine with ex President Obama singing the praises of Justine Trudeau during our recent election .
The bloke just can’t help himself ....has to meddle where he is not wanted . He has no understanding of the boundaries of what is appropriate.

Blackleaf

So you admit that you don't like Trump throwing his opinion out into your politics?

Why Boris could leave Trump out in the cold

IF Donald Trump really doesn’t want Jeremy Corbyn to become Prime Minister, he should just ignore him next week.

The Labour leader would like nothing more than to get into a war of words with the US President.

If he can turn this election into a question of whose side are you on – his or Donald Trump’s? – it will be that rare thing, a popularity contest that Corbyn can win.

Those close to Boris Johnson are just hoping that Trump keeps schtum next week and doesn’t get involved in any dramatics. But as one tells me wearily: “He is totally beyond control.”

I understand that Trump has already agreed to do one major British broadcast interview while he is here.

Boris might, though, have a secret weapon in his attempt to avoid looking like he is too close to Trump – a cold.

When I interviewed the Prime Minister this week, it was clear that he has a campaign cold coming on.

The germophobic US President may well choose to keep his distance from the PM in these circumstances.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/104544...till-a-threat/

Serryah
Free Thinker
After how you were about Obama and Clinton, you're still pretty soft on Trump.

Where's the anger, the vehemence? The hatred of a foreign nation, especially their current leader, having opinions about your election?

What is YOUR view, Blackie, other than "I don't like it"?

Blackleaf

After how you were about Obama and Clinton, you're still pretty soft on Trump.

How?

Serryah
Free Thinker

How?

You were pretty much frothing over Obama and Clinton having opinions about Brexit and 'interfearing'...

Yet haven't seen you do much other than "I don't like it" when Trump says anything.

Is that because he's "okay" since he thinks Brexit is a good idea?

Blackleaf

Serryah
Free Thinker

I know, it's shocking to us too to see you go ape shyte over Obama and Clinton commenting about the British Elections and their opinion on Brexit, but if Trump does it... crickets. The insect, not the game, btw.

Blackleaf

I know, it's shocking to us too to see you go ape shyte over Obama and Clinton commenting about the British Elections and their opinion on Brexit, but if Trump does it... crickets. The insect, not the game, btw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrOG_bsNuw

Serryah
Free Thinker

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrOG_bsNuw

You must have been fuming that Trump left London early.

Blackleaf

You must have been fuming that Trump left London early.

Devastated. I like Trump.

Although, I think they were in Watford.

Serryah
Free Thinker
+1

Devastated. I like Trump.

Although, I think they were in Watford.

Well that's no surprise... one misogynist liking another after all.

Serryah
Free Thinker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUWX6S8iYU

I like Pie, but this was a reaction that got me off guard.

Blackleaf

Well that's no surprise... one misogynist liking another after all.

I hate it when a woman bangs on about misogyny.

A woman complaining about such a thing really is so arrogant as to believe ALL men must like women, as though women are something particularly special, so special that it must be compulsory to like them .

Blackleaf
+2
That's it. It's over now for Corbyn...

Boris Johnson wins final debate: Viewers back PM by 52% to 48% after he roasts Jeremy Corbyn for STILL refusing to reveal his solution to Brexit, supporting the IRA and 'backing the overthrow of capitalism' at final clash before election

Boris Johnson was tonight declared the winner of the final election TV showdown after roasting Jeremy Corbyn over Brexit, supporting the IRA, stealth taxes and 'overthrowing capitalism'. A snap YouGov poll found the PM performed better in the primetime BBC One clash by 52 per cent to 48 per cent - mirroring the result of the 2016 Brexit referendum in a result that will delight Tory strategists. During a bruising hour-long session, chaired by Nick Robinson, Mr Johnson urged the public to back him on Brexit so the country can move on. He ridiculed Labour's muddled position of renegotiating with Brussels and holding another referendum, but with Mr Corbyn staying neutral. 'You cannot negotiate a deal if you are neutral on it... it's a failure of leadership on the biggest issue facing this country at the moment,' he said. The veteran left-winger was also pressed over Labour's plans to introduce a four-day week in the NHS, and failed to deny that he wants to 'overthrow capitalism'. But he insisted he was putting forward an 'ambitious' programme that could end child poverty, as he desperately to turn the tide as polls continue to show the Tories ahead. The clash quickly turned nasty, with Mr Johnson getting a round of applause as he accused Mr Corbyn of 'supporting the IRA for four decades'. He also repeatedly swiped that his opponent was 'ignorant' on the benefits of free trade.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-showdown.html

Serryah
Free Thinker

I hate it when a woman bangs on about misogyny.

A woman complaining about such a thing really is so arrogant as to believe ALL men must like women, as though women are something particularly special, so special that it must be compulsory to like them .

LOL - thing is Blackie, I don't think ALL men have to like women.

Hell, I DON'T like women sometimes. Women are a lot of things.

But I also will call a spade a spade and you are definitely one of them; your own history shows that much.

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker

That's it. It's over now for Corbyn...

Boris Johnson wins final debate: Viewers back PM by 52% to 48% after he roasts Jeremy Corbyn for STILL refusing to reveal his solution to Brexit, supporting the IRA and 'backing the overthrow of capitalism' at final clash before election

Boris Johnson was tonight declared the winner of the final election TV showdown after roasting Jeremy Corbyn over Brexit, supporting the IRA, stealth taxes and 'overthrowing capitalism'. A snap YouGov poll found the PM performed better in the primetime BBC One clash by 52 per cent to 48 per cent - mirroring the result of the 2016 Brexit referendum in a result that will delight Tory strategists. During a bruising hour-long session, chaired by Nick Robinson, Mr Johnson urged the public to back him on Brexit so the country can move on. He ridiculed Labour's muddled position of renegotiating with Brussels and holding another referendum, but with Mr Corbyn staying neutral. 'You cannot negotiate a deal if you are neutral on it... it's a failure of leadership on the biggest issue facing this country at the moment,' he said. The veteran left-winger was also pressed over Labour's plans to introduce a four-day week in the NHS, and failed to deny that he wants to 'overthrow capitalism'. But he insisted he was putting forward an 'ambitious' programme that could end child poverty, as he desperately to turn the tide as polls continue to show the Tories ahead. The clash quickly turned nasty, with Mr Johnson getting a round of applause as he accused Mr Corbyn of 'supporting the IRA for four decades'. He also repeatedly swiped that his opponent was 'ignorant' on the benefits of free trade.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-showdown.html

I missed this. How did BoJo handle himself ?? Was he able to articulate his positions effectively??

Interesting results.

Blackleaf
+2
Russia WAS behind leaked documents Corbyn used to 'prove' Tories plan to sell off NHS: Reddit bans 61 accounts linked to Labour dossier amid fears Moscow tried to manipulate Election - as PM mocks rival's 'Bermuda Triangle' claims

Reddit said it has banned 61 accounts following an investigation into disinformation which could have been spread to manipulate the election. The bombshell revelations are an embarrassment for the Labour leader who continues to use the dossier as ammunition to blast his Conservative rival. Russia's hand in the release of the dossier was already suspected after analyst Graphika drew parallels with this leak and the Moscow disinformation campaign dubbed 'Secondary Infektion' on Facebook earlier this week. But Mr Corbyn has chosen to ignore these warnings and again last night accused the Prime Minister of putting the NHS on the table in a post-Brexit trade deal. Mr Johnson rubbished his rival's claim as a 'Bermuda Triangle'. The Labour leader's flat refusal to stop parading the documents despite them being tarred by Moscow's fingerprints has further called into question his morals, which are already under scrutiny for the party's raging anti-Semitism crisis and sympathies with the IRA. He last night flourished a second leaked government document during his showdown with the PM, this one relating to the post-Brexit border arrangements on the island of Ireland. Mr Corbyn first flaunted the leaked Department for International Trade papers between UK and US officials at a press conference last month to underscore his claim the NHS would be on the table in a post-Brexit deal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-reveals.html

Danbones
Free Thinker
Drawing parallels is proof in geometry not p00litics.

Though we do know MAY has already lied about the russians several times in a major way ( the skripals and re gassing syria ), so this is nothing new. We all know Bits are supposed to hate the russians because the queen and her epspawn and oil.

Unlike in britain where they often knight them, pedostiens are VERY ILLEGAL in Russia these days. Also unlike Britain, you won't find them influencing their own elections on state media children's TV shows.

Having said that, good luck with the brexit thing.
Last edited by Danbones; Dec 7th, 2019 at 05:56 AM..

Blackleaf
+1
The Conservatives are harnessing the Leave vote far better than Labour are doing with Remainers

Written by Professor Matthew Goodwin
BrexitCentral
6 December 2019

Matthew Goodwin is Professor of Politics at the University of Kent, Senior Visiting Fellow at Chatham House and co-author of National Populism: The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy . He tweets at @goodwinmj.

Over the past week, the Conservatives averaged a 10-point lead in the opinion polls. The latest polling by Ipsos MORI puts Boris Johnson and his party on 44%, Labour on 32%, the Lib Dems on 13% and Brexit Party on just 2%. Considering that the Conservatives need to have at least a 6-point lead on election day if they are to gain a majority, this is a fairly solid position as the party moves into the final stretch. There are also some pretty good numbers for them in Scotland.

Along with last week’s YouGov MRP poll estimating a 68-seat majority, the current betting odds are 64% for a Conservative majority, 34% for a hung parliament and only a 4% chance of a Labour majority. This means that the chance of a hung parliament is broadly similar to what we had for Brexit and Trump ahead of those shocks in 2016. My line remains: a Conservative majority is still the most likely outcome but a hung parliament is plausible.

One reason why the Conservatives are heading towards a majority is because Boris Johnson, Dominic Cummings and their campaign have successfully retained 83% of the Conservative Party’s 2017 voters and 72% of the Leave vote. Both of these numbers have improved considerably since the start of the campaign. Labour, in contrast, is in a weaker position: while the party has gained ground in recent days, it is holding 71% of its 2017 vote, 48% of the Remain vote and 14% of the Leave vote. This reflects how Remain is still fragmented and Corbyn has struggled to win back the full loyalty of the people who turned out for him and/or his party two years ago.

Will Labour pick up some more points in this final week? Quite possibly. Remember: there are still a lot of Liberal Democrats, Greens and Undecided voters up for grabs. And some Lib Dems are already on the move. Go back to the start of the election campaign and 16% of Labour’s 2017 voters had jumped ship to the Lib Dems. But that is now down to 11%. Meanwhile, at the start of the campaign only 7% of 2017 Lib Dems had flipped to Labour. But that’s now up to 22%. Over the past month the share of Remainers going to Labour has jumped by about seven points to reach 48%. There is also still about 13% of voters who are Undecided. Labour has picked up a little bit of momentum but – so far – not enough.

The voting intentions of both Leavers and Remainers are largely unchanged; 72% of Leavers plan on voting Conservative while Remainers break 48% Labour, 21% Lib Dem and 16% Conservative. If Labour are to gain more votes then they could start by searching for votes among those Remainers who are currently sitting with the Lib Dems or the Conservatives, although Corbyn’s ‘neutral’ position on Brexit really will not help with that. I do find the 16-18% of Remainers who are sticking with the Conservatives interesting. As I have pointed out, Conservative Remainers may yet be one of the most important aspects of this election. Despite much talk about our new Brexit identities, political party loyalties and the left-right divide still pack a powerful punch.

Another fascinating aspect is social class; while 40% of upper and middle-class ‘ABC1’ voters plan on voting Conservative and 33% Labour, Johnson and his party now hold a 10-point lead for the Conservatives among the working-class ‘C2DE’ voters; 44% plan on voting Conservative and 34% Labour. That Labour is trailing the Conservatives to this extent amongst the one group that the Labour Party was founded to represent should be a serious cause for concern. If Corbyn loses again next week there will be some tough questions for his party. Much of this marks a continuation of trends in British politics that I pointed to in the book Revolt on the Right .

Finally, this week we saw four Brexit Party MEPs announce their backing for the Conservatives, with Annunziata Rees-Mogg saying “We need a strong Leave-supporting government to deliver the Brexit 17.4 million voted for… The Conservatives are the only option for Brexit supporters and democrats alike”. However, with the proportion of Conservative voters planning on voting for the Brexit Party at only 3%, this may confirm what Conservative voters already believe.

https://brexitcentral.com/the-conser...ith-remainers/

Blackleaf
+1
Jeremy Corbyn is the biggest global threat to Jews, warns Simon Wiesenthal Centre - the world's leading Nazi-hunting organisation - as Boris Johnson urges voters to save Britain from a 'nightmare'

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre warns that Jeremy Corbyn would turn Britain into a 'pariah state' if he wins Thursday's Election. In an astonishing escalation of the row which has ripped Labour apart, the human rights body said: 'No one has done more to mainstream antisemitism into the political and social life of a democracy than the Jeremy Corbyn-led Labour Party. Members and staff who have dared to speak out against the hate were purged, but not those who declared "Heil Hitler" and "F*** the Jews."' Rabbi Marvin Hier, the head of the centre, told this newspaper: 'If it wasn't for Winston Churchill and Britain leading the fight against Nazism in the Second World War who knows if the Allies would have won? Britain was at the forefront of defeating Hitler and now, on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the person who wants to sit in Winston Churchill's chair at No 10 is fostering antisemitism. If Mr Corbyn wins he will make Britain a pariah on the world stage. It will be a disaster for democracy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...anisation.html
Last edited by Blackleaf; Dec 7th, 2019 at 09:48 PM..

Danbones
Free Thinker
So, wanting to stay in the EU is anti jewish now...go figure.

Churchill – a `founding father’ of the European Union – would vote to Remain
https://europeanmovement.eu/churchil...ote-to-remain/

Quote:

'If it wasn't for Winston Churchill and Britain leading the fight against Nazism in the Second World War who knows if the Allies would have won? Britain was at the forefront of defeating Hitler and now, on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the person who wants to sit in Winston Churchill's chair at No 10 is fostering antisemitism. If Mr Corbyn wins he will make Britain a pariah on the world stage. It will be a disaster for democracy.

Leaders of the European Union should revive Winston Churchill’s post-war vision for a kind of ‘United States of Europe’, urged EU Commission President José Manuel Barroso this weekend.
https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/201...uropean-union/

Founding fathers of the European Union

Winston Churchill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundi...European_Union

LOL its all so confusing...

So many people interfering with everyone else's elections these days.
Last edited by Danbones; Dec 8th, 2019 at 06:51 AM..

Blackleaf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

So, wanting to stay in the EU is anti jewish now...go figure.

No. The Labour Party is a racist, anti-Semitic Party.

Quote:

Churchill – a `founding father’ of the European Union – would vote to Remain
https://europeanmovement.eu/churchil...ote-to-remain/

Considering Churchill was against Britain being part of a European union, I think he'd be a Brexiteer.

Blackleaf
+1
Don't let the nation wake up to a Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon nightmare on Friday the 13th, warns Boris Johnson

By Boris Johnson For The Mail On Sunday
7 December 2019

Very occasionally, a historic Election takes place that changes not just the following few years, but shapes future decades.

In 1906, the Liberal government won a majority and the balance of power crucially tipped towards democracy. In 1945, the Conservative Party had lost its way and the Attlee government created the NHS – one of the great achievements in British politics in the 20th Century.

And in 1979 the Thatcher government dragged Britain out of the nightmare of the 1970s.

Now, in 2019, we face another of these historic Elections. Like 1906, 1945 and 1979, the impact of this Election will be felt for decades to come. But unlike those Elections, in 2019 it is not a single party that has lost its way, but the entire Parliament.

If we don't win, then on Friday 13th the Corbyn-Sturgeon nightmare alliance will become a reality

Three years ago, this country voted to leave the EU with the biggest democratic verdict ever passed down in British politics.

Yet ever since that vote, those MPs who campaigned to Remain in the EU have paid lip service to leaving while doing everything in their power to delay, obstruct, and block Britain's exit.

This election is happening because Parliament refused to honour the will of the British people and respect the democratic result of the referendum.

Let's wake up on Friday 13th and go forwards with a Conservative majority government

We need to break the gridlock in Parliament, end the uncertainty that has held this country back, and get Brexit done to restore trust in democracy in this country.

As in those other historic elections, today we face a simple choice – to move forwards or go back to the past.

The choice is between a working Conservative majority government that will get Brexit done, end the uncertainty and allow Britain to move on.

Or another broken hung Parliament that will mean more of the same arguing, uncertainty, and delay that has left this country in limbo.

If there is a Conservative majority on Friday 13th, we will go forward and get Brexit done on January 31. Next year will be a year of investment and growth.

It will be the year that we put a broken Parliament and its arguments over Brexit behind us. We will get Parliament working on the people's priorities – urgent investment in the NHS, urgent action on the cost of living and urgent action on violent crime.

These are the issues that I want to focus on as Prime Minister. Like you, I want all the talk about Brexit to end.

Instead, I want to spend my time recruiting 50,000 more nurses and 20,000 more police. I want to spend my time tackling GP appointment waiting times.

I want to be in Parliament pushing through tougher sentences for violent and sex offenders and cracking down on early release.

I want to get wages rising by investing in our services, in apprenticeships and in infrastructure – and we'll double investment in basic science research to seek breakthroughs in areas like clean energy. I want to pass a law urgently that guarantees more money for the NHS every year above the rate of inflation.

I want to spend my time working with our brilliant security services to strengthen our defences against terrorism. Crucially, I want to put in place our Australian-style points-based immigration system.

If the SNP and Liberal Democrats win just six more seats each, Jeremy Corbyn (pictured in Wales today) will become Prime Minister

This will allow us to make it easier for the brightest talent from around the world to come here. But it will put in place tough new checks to ensure that lower-skilled migrants only enter the UK if there is a specific shortage of workers and that their stay will only be temporary.

Everyone who comes to the UK will contribute to our NHS from day one – that is only fair. And we can do all this – but only if we get a working majority Conservative government on December 12.

We only need to win nine more seats to get a Government that ends the uncertainty and gridlock and focuses on the issues that matter to you. But if we don't win, then on Friday 13th the Corbyn-Sturgeon nightmare alliance will become a reality.

Jeremy Corbyn would be Prime Minister, propped up by Nicola Sturgeon's SNP, the Liberal Democrats and other minor parties.

It is closer than many people think – if the SNP and Liberal Democrats win just six more seats each, Jeremy Corbyn will become Prime Minister.

Let's not go back into a Parliamentary Groundhog Day nightmare with Jeremy Corbyn propped up by Nicola Sturgeon. Pictured: Boris Johnson in Cheshire today

And this would mean another broken hung Parliament, with every day next year a Groundhog Day in Parliament. We would be straight back to MPs screaming at each other every day about the referendum, arguing over political process and arcane constitutional traditions while the NHS, crime and our schools would all be ignored.

Next year would be the year of politicians arguing over two more chaotic referendums – one on Brexit and one on Scotland. And Mr Corbyn has said that in this second EU referendum, he will change the rules and give millions of foreign nationals the right to vote on the UK's membership of the EU.

Imagine the appalling division this will cause – millions will rightly say it was a rigged vote, and there will be a bitterness that lasts decades. Faith in our democratic system will collapse.

And nothing else will get done as the whole of politics will do nothing apart from organising referendums for years, even decades, to come. This would be a total nightmare. Even if he muddled his way through Brexit, Jeremy Corbyn's policies would take us back to square one.

Massive spending, massive borrowing, massive taxes and a four-day week. Imagine what Corbyn's four-day week will do to public services. What will happen to NHS and A&E waiting times when the four-day week kicks in? What will happen to GP appointments?

And on top of that, Corbyn's immigration policy will put even more pressure on the NHS and our other public services.

He does not just want to keep free movement with the EU – where even murderers have free movement rights – he also wants to extend it to the whole world so anyone from anywhere can come here any time they like. And there would be nothing you could do about it.

In this historic Election, it is my hope that the British people will do what they did in the three most important Elections of the 20th Century.

I would urge you to vote, as the British always do when faced with a historic choice, to go forward. In doing so, you, the public, will ensure that in 2020 politicians focus all the energies of our country on improving our services and making our country fairer.

I, of course, respect the views of the millions who voted Remain in 2016 but I also strongly believe that politicians promised to respect that referendum result and they must, therefore, respect it.

Nothing could do more damage to our democracy than for Parliament to break the promises made because politicians don't agree with the voters.

If you agree with me, then please talk about this choice to your friends and family over the next few days. Make sure they understand what is at stake.

Let's wake up on Friday 13th and go forwards with a Conservative majority government. Let's not go back into a Parliamentary Groundhog Day nightmare with Jeremy Corbyn propped up by Nicola Sturgeon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nightmare.html

Serryah
Free Thinker
I think in the end the UK has the same issue Canada did.

No party leader is worth voting for and no matter what, the UK is fuked with who they elect.