Paris Climate Change Conference: The Official Thread

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

The western part of North America will get hotter while the east side gets much colder. The time it takes determines how far west the ice will advance.
To get global warming you need something like the Siberian Traps erupting for 1 million years non stop. It would be hard to miss.

petros
Quote:

What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

It tells us we are at the !0,000 yr mean.

Now answer my question flossy.

MHz
While you're waiting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE2ft...quUjcZR_uFnkdY

Walter
+1
All climate change is caused by the sun; always has and always will. Humans input to the equation is infinitesimally small.

Walter
+1
All climate change is caused by the sun; always has and always will. Humans input to the equation is infinitesimally small.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Sun & climate: moving in opposite directions

petros
For the illiterate

Last edited by petros; Nov 8th, 2015 at 12:42 PM..

mentalfloss
By Jove you've figured it all out!

petros
Indeed. Jetstreams and oceans currents and such all dragged northward by the magnetosphere driven by CO2

Are the balloons photoshopped?

MHz

Mother nature is the biggest factor on earth. ie Siberian Traps

petros
It's salmon run but 10 million of them can't find home because magnetic home isn't where it used to be but some people blame blue dot warming.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Indeed. Jetstreams and oceans currents and such all dragged northward by the magnetosphere driven by CO2

Are the balloons photoshopped?

just the O2 maybe

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Mother nature is the biggest factor on earth. ie Siberian Traps

Solar output is the biggest factor on earth. Period no question.

mentalfloss
How Obama’s Keystone XL rejection adds momentum to the Paris climate talks

"This is the last but also the biggest card that the president could play to compel other world leaders to take strong action in Paris next month,” says Michael Brune, the executive director of the Sierra Club, which has long opposed the pipeline.

And not just that, says Brune: It makes a particular point about the long-term need for decarbonization, which includes leaving certain fuels in the ground. “This announcement is powerful in that it will show that the world is beginning to turn away from extreme energy sources, and it will provide significant momentum to a long term decarbonization goal,” Brune says.

Indeed, the President himself made this very point directly in his remarks Friday on the rejection of the pipeline. “Ultimately if we’re going to prevent large parts of this Earth from becoming not only inhospitable but uninhabitable in our lifetimes, we’re going to have to keep some fossil fuels in the ground, rather than burn them and release more dangerous pollution into the sky,” Obama said.

The oil in the project alone would account for 168 million metric tons of carbon dioxide (MMTCO2e) per year, with the incremental increase of 27 MMTCO2e. Over the life of the project this would lead to an unacceptable amount of carbon pollution at a time when all estimates are saying that we are quickly burning through our remaining carbon budget. All studies that look at what can be burned in a 2 degrees C world show that tar sand reserves shouldn’t be developed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...01446829914447

Dixie Cup
Conservative
+4
WOW - did he actually say "decarbonize" Wonder what all the trees and plants would have to say about that LOL!! Would it be something like GENOCIDE!!! LOL. I would prefer we plant more trees and do away with the clear cutting of boreal and/or rain forests. That would help immensely!

JMHO

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Solar output is the biggest factor on earth. Period no question.

How much does the climate change when Mercury or Venus pass between the earth and sun?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

WOW - did he actually say "decarbonize" Wonder what all the trees and plants would have to say about that LOL!! Would it be something like GENOCIDE!!! LOL. I would prefer we plant more trees and do away with the clear cutting of boreal and/or rain forests. That would help immensely!

JMHO

Semantics.

petros
says Michael Brune, the executive director of the Sierra Club,

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1

Semantics.

Ethnic clensing is a nicer way of saying mass murder too

Walter
+1

How much does the climate change when Mercury or Venus pass between the earth and sun?

Here's Mercury transiting the Sun as seen from Earth. No wonder the sun gets blacked out so often.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Mercury

Here are transits of Venus.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=transit+of...4060803170.jpg

DaSleeper
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

says Michael Brune, the executive director of the Sierra Club,

And what does Aaron Mair say?

darkbeaver
Republican

Calculate the solar exposed surface area and the intercept duration of the planets and then subtract the value of the deflecting double layer magnetic sheath of each planetary intercept times which should leave you a small remainder actually absorbed by the offending Mercury and Venus. 42 thousand watts per square kilometer.

EagleSmack
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Actually the science is not sound and there is still no proof that we are the primary agent of warming! I get that you want to go with the "crowd" but there are still those of us who actually believe that the science is politicized and not actual "science". The Al Gore's of the world simply see this as money in their pockets (he's a billionaire now when he wasn't even a millionaire before). How did that happen? Someone is ensuring that this propaganda is moving forward whether we like it or not.

I am NOT convinced that we are (overly) causing climate change or global warming and I do not want to pay a penny more for someone else to pocket and not have ANYTHING change as in the last 20+ years. I'm tired of OTHER people getting rich off of my hard work.

I might change my perspective if there had been any improvement over the last few years but all I see is rich people getting richer and us poor suckers doling it out! As far as I see it, its a scam and you've fallen for it BIG TIME!

JMHO

Pathetic. And the alarmists are making excuses for China about this as well. They are burning more coal than ever. Their coal use will increase even more. But the alarmists are afraid of China.

MHz

Here's Mercury transiting the Sun as seen from Earth. No wonder the sun gets blacked out so often.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Mercury

Here are transits of Venus.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=transit+of...4060803170.jpg

That's very good Walter, now how much would this event change the climate??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNs9U4qVOII

Walter

That's very good Walter,

You're welcome, hope your fears are allayed.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Pathetic. And the alarmists are making excuses for China about this as well. They are burning more coal than ever. Their coal use will increase even more. But the alarmists are afraid of China.

The only people making excuses for China are free traders.

CDNBear
+1
I wonder why Flossy can't explain how the Swedish model will work on a Canadian scale.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I wonder why Flossy can't explain how the Swedish model will work on a Canadian scale.

It only a computer model and those have been 100% reliable so far, that's why they can't explain the almost 20 years of no warming even though all computer models said we'd be dead by now from heat stroke.

mentalfloss
No one says we are adopting any one specific model.

petros
+1
Pick any one. They are all garbage.

mentalfloss
How?

Walter

How?

You'll see how here but it won't matter.
Climate Models vs. Observations: Picture Worth a Thousand Words (thank you Bjorn Lomborg)