Who got rid of the word 'rape' back in the 80's anyway?


Locutus
#1
Turdeau, Mullooney, a combo of both? Curious curmudgeons want to know.

ya know, instead of the loaded word rape with all its moral and social baggage, it was softened to sexual assault. did that word trigger sensitive people or something? I cannae remember. Anyway, it should return.

related:

How Canada's sex-assault laws violate rape victims - The Globe and Mail
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Turdeau, Mullooney, a combo of both? Curious curmudgeons want to know.

ya know, instead of the loaded word rape with all its moral and social baggage, it was softened to sexual assault. did that word trigger sensitive people or something? I cannae remember. Anyway, it should return.

related:

How Canada's sex-assault laws violate rape victims - The Globe and Mail

Rape is just one form of sexual assault.
 
Locutus
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Rape is just one form of sexual assault.

yeah, we're aware pal.
 
petros
+2
#4
Canola assault.
 
Locutus
#5
 
Walter
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Gotta love Ben Stein.
 
petros
#7
Bueller. Bueller.

Sexual assault is a broader, more vague definition allowing the Crown to manipulate the charge?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Bueller. Bueller.

Sexual assault is a broader, more vague definition allowing the Crown to manipulate the charge?

Maybe that works both ways. To upgrade a charge of sexual assault to rape maybe quite difficult but by the same token it may be hard to move the other way too. But not being a lawyer what the f**k would I know?
 
petros
#9
How do you upgrade to what no longer exists?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

How do you upgrade to what no longer exists?

Is "Rape" completely off the law books?
 
petros
#11
Yeah. It's in the thread title and OP and the theme of the thread.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Yeah. It's in the thread title and OP and the theme of the thread.

Did you notice who is the author of the O.P.? Is he a lawyer or judge?
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#13
The general reason rape was subsumed into sexual assault is that, at common law, rape required penetration of the ****** by the *****. Those jurisdictions that replaced rape with varying degrees of sexual assault did so primarily to acknowledge the fact that criminal sexual violation need not and should not be limited only to that penetration.
 
petros
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Did you notice who is the author of the O.P.? Is he a lawyer or judge?

Did you notice who the author interviewed and who the statistics were sourced from?
 
Locutus
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post


ya know, instead of the loaded word rape with all its moral and social baggage, it was softened to sexual assault. did that word trigger sensitive people or something?

did it make someone mad, twitchy? did it sound too 'bad'? tarnish to the rapist? was it too edgy for the the MSM?

damn...where's a Canadian law or parliamentary know-it-all when ya need one.

rape: sounds like what it is.

sexual assault: sounds like touching a boob.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

How do you upgrade to what no longer exists?

The crime still exists, they've just altered the terminology - You can actually be charged with having sexual intercourse without consent, the charge may not be any less serious.
 
Locutus
#17
meh...altering terminology is soft and squeamish.

even "altering terminology" is soft and squeamish. what it is is taking the sting out of a word, changing a word so it doesn't 'hurt someone's feelings'. making it all polite and proggy stuff.
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
+4
#18  Top Rated Post
The idea was to drive the notion into Neanderthal skulls that it is a criminal assault and not sexual in nature. Did they do a piss poor job of driving that point home with the terminology change? Yep, that they did. I don't think it's that much easier for women to report these crimes today.

Douchebags still want to know what she was wearing. Next time someone gets battered and bruised for their fukking wallet we should all stop to ponder what the victim was dressed in.
 
petros
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

did it make someone mad, twitchy? did it sound too 'bad'? tarnish to the rapist? was it too edgy for the the MSM?

damn...where's a Canadian law or parliamentary know-it-all when ya need one.

rape: sounds like what it is.

sexual assault: sounds like touching a boob.

What was touching boob called prior to sexual assault?

Date rape is date rape to the MSN. They coined the term so I doubt it was a matter of somebody being offended or too harsh for MSM.

What is disturbing is grabbing a boob makes somebody sound like a rapist when charged with sexual assault.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What was touching boob called prior to sexual assault?

Date rape is date rape to the MSN. They coined the term so I doubt it was a matter of somebody being offended or too harsh for MSM.

What is disturbing is grabbing a boob makes somebody sound like a rapist when charged with sexual assault.

Here's a hint: don't grab people's boobs unless they want you to. Then you won't have to worry about what your crime sounds like.
 
petros
#21
Says the jimmy rustler.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Here's a hint: don't grab people's boobs unless they want you to. Then you won't have to worry about what your crime sounds like.

You got that right- some people just don't like to be touched period and until you know what's tolerable to them you just DON'T.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

You got that right- some people just don't like to be touched period and until you know what's tolerable to them you just DON'T.

Grandmother always said "Keep your hands to home." Usually punctuated with a whack from her favorite wooden cooking spoon.

Maybe petros didn't have a grandmother.
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Grandmother always said "Keep your hands to home." Usually punctuated with a whack from her favorite wooden cooking spoon.

Maybe petros didn't have a grandmother.

reminds me of that episode on The Andy Griffith Show where Brisco Darlin was a courtin Aunt Bea until she kept whackin him with that spoon and Brisco bolted with the famous words, I'll sit at the table for super, I'll drink tea out of the proper cup and use the right fork for the right purpose,,,But I will NOT!,,,be beat to death with a danged Spoon!
Last edited by Ludlow; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 05:46 PM..Reason: sp
 
petros
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Grandmother always said "Keep your hands to home." Usually punctuated with a whack from her favorite wooden cooking spoon.

Maybe petros didn't have a grandmother.



Why were you touching your grandmother's boob? Mine would have punched me out, you got lucky getting a wooden spoon for touching her boob.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post



Why were you touching your grandmother's boob? Mine would have punched me out, you got lucky getting a wooden spoon for touching her boob.

If that's a picture of your grandmother, I think I understand you a lot better now.
 
petros
#27
A small town pizza lawyer.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

A small town pizza lawyer.

You should be proud your grandmother made it through law school. Quite an accomplishment in her day.
 
Locutus
+1
#29
then again, 'touching' might be then considered uninvited bodily contact or a non-mutually agreed upon date...it's all so confusing in these progressive times.

anyway.

United States: rape?

Canada: no, he's touching me

'merica fuk yeah.
 
petros
#30
Stop standing by me!