Conservative Party Convention

Reverend Blair
Well, the first news out of the Conservative policy convention is that they yanked David Orchard's membership. I guess they were afraid of him or something.

no1important
I think a big division is starting to brew with the Conservatives. Especially after listening to some comments made by delegates especially some of the old hardliners from Reform/Alliance.

Ten Packs
They are still allowing the Fundies to shoot their mouths off - that's gonna kill 'em. My Wife and I watched Elsie Wayne prattle on about "killing babies" on the news tonight - I said "and that's why I haven't renewed my membership since the late '80's - this ain't the States."

My Wife said "Yup."

mrmom2
I guess they will never learn .Shut your mouth and fly right!

tibear
The difference between the conservative party and the NDP and Liberals is that the conservative party believes in allowing individual member speak their minds. Even though some of them may counter the party policy, we know that the party isn't made up of drones that simply follow the party executive and "stand when told too".

The Liberals and NDP do not let their members speak on any matter. Only the PM or minister is allowed to speak on a particular matter and they are all directed to vote in a particular way or know that they will not be supported in the next election. Is that really the best way to allow a party to grow?? Suppressing all its members into submission before they even have a chance to speak???

missile
Conservative
Elsie and husband,Carl haven't had any children of their own[or else,she's had a few backroom abortions herself!]She's always been an embarrassment to most of us here.I fully expect her to disrupt the convention with her outdated viewpoints.

tibear
Missile,

Are you connecting the fact that because she hasn't had any children to the fact that she is an embarrassment or that her views are outdated???

Reverend Blair
Quote:

The difference between the conservative party and the NDP and Liberals is that the conservative party believes in allowing individual member speak their minds.

Apparently you've never been to an NDP convention, Tibear. Watch on CPAC or NewsWorld the next time there is one...not a lot of people being told to sit down and shut up.

tibear
RB,

Really!

So I can expect a free vote in the house from the NDP when the SSM rule is presented???

Reverend Blair
They decide their policies before they run, Tibear. That way people know what they are voting for. That is the way the party system works.

Compare that to the Conservatives...no policy, actually discussing officially not having a policy on social issues (since that clashes with the majority opinion in Canada), a leader who shows up to campaign in Saskatoon and refuses to discuss agriculture, refusing to force beef processing companiesto open their books, banning a member who ran for the leadership...I can actually type on this all day.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

They decide their policies before they run, Tibear. That way people know what they are voting for. That is the way the party system works.

Compare that to the Conservatives...no policy, actually discussing officially not having a policy on social issues (since that clashes with the majority opinion in Canada), a leader who shows up to campaign in Saskatoon and refuses to discuss agriculture, refusing to force beef processing companiesto open their books, banning a member who ran for the leadership...I can actually type on this all day.

....and it still wouldn't get the NDP voted in.

tibear
If it was only the NDP, the Rhinos and the Marijuana party running the NDP would still lose!!!

80% of the NDP would run to the Marijuana party and the rest of us hate the NDP so much we would vote Rhino.

Jay
Hate is a strong word....

tibear
Jay,

Your right, I shouldn't use hate.

Perhaps, distrust would be better. Tired would be another. Tired of the NDP reaching into my pockets and stealing my money.

Perhaps, "to parental", in that the NDP want to dictate to us how to live our lives and what to believe. They are just as intolerant and they claim the Conservatives are.

Jay
Not to mention they don't understand what individualism is or freedom or private property etc, and they would sell us out the great commune in a second.

IMHO you would have to have almost given up on life to be a card carrying member of the NDP.

But at least they are clear on where they stand....they stand in the radical left field.

Reverend Blair
Back towards the topic, boys. I answered your question tibear, because it was in relation to the Conservative convention. If you don't want us to notice the spectacle of your party ripping itself apart, tough.

Jay
Our party goes through changes, and it may even make mistakes along the way.

Reverend Blair
All parties do, Jay. Your party has some deep splits and some of its actions, like banning Mr. Orchard, show it not to be the "big tent" party your leaders like to portray it as. It has, since the inception of the Reform Party, shown itself to be divisive and intolerant.

mrmom2
All these parties end up towing the official line when they get elected Its just the way it is in our system .The lobbyists set the agenda .

Reverend Blair
So lobby hard Mr. Mom. I know you have a computer, and you seem to be able to type pretty well. If you have an issue there is a site for it. If there isn't, start one. Join a party. Check the proportional representation and direct democracy issues. Call your MLA a pig-f***er to his face, in public...I did and now he answers my letters.

Show up, get involved, talk back, yell and scream. things are all screwed up because we let them be.

That's why it's so disgusting that the Conservatives booted David Orchard out of their party. It would be one thing if he was promoting non-Conservative ideals, but all Orchard pushes for are things deeply rooted in the history of the party.

So get involved and try to influence things. If everybody did we wouldn't need electoral reform...it would be an ongoing reality.

mrmom2
I'am involved in my home town politics Our MLA is just terrible and next election Iwill be working hard to get rid of her !

Jay
"That's why it's so disgusting that the Conservatives booted David Orchard out of their party."

I'm going to have to look into this further.

I'll let you know what I find, If your interested.

mrmom2
I sure am !!!!!

no1important
I see Peter McKay had a hissy fit this morning. I see this new "Conservative Party" imploding in on itself pretty quickly. The other funny thing is, since the last election the Conservatives have not moved up in the polls either.

The Conservative Party always seems to be it's own worst enemy. Especially with Cheryl Gallant shooting her mouth off. Saying lies like Legalizing Marijuana, Lowering age of sexual consent , comparing abortion to terrorists etc. No wonder they never get elected. They are full of "crackpots".

Reverend Blair
I noticed during Harper's speech that reaction went down noticably when he switched to French. I also noticed that Preston Manning was slow to clap a couple of times.

Reverend Blair
A link or two...

MacKay Warns Against Alliance Takeover

“Harper you suck, but do you swallow?”

"We are witnessing the unqualified conquest of the Reform-Alliance over the Progressive Conservatives."

Here's a question for the Harperites on the board....The convention is being held in Quebec in an attempt to gain support there. So why is Harper yammering about defining marriage as "one man, one woman" and saying that we should have "stayed at the table" on BMD? Those two issues alone are enough to get him run out of the province. Is he really that totally inept?

Reverend Blair
It looks like, and I'm not sure because they had some sort of issue with their machines, but it looks like they've voted down a proposal to appoint a citizens' committee to look at proportional representation.

What happened to being democratic and listening to the people.

no1important
After the shennanigans of this weekend they have not done themselves any favours, especially towards people who may be looking for an alternative to the Libs or Bloc to vote for. They are trying to be too much like the Republicans in America, and that type of politics is not as popular in Canada.

They seem to have a lot of extremists and I believe there are not that many type of people in Canada to vote for them, let alone to give them a majority. The "neocons" are nowhere near as strong or have a following like they do in America.

The only way the Conservatives will ever form a government is if Paul Martin does something absolutley stupid or ridiculous. Even with the "sponsorship scandal" the Liberals have yet to be really hurt by anything. (yeah they got a miniority, but Canadians have short memories)

Even if Quebec still elects the same amount of Bloc next time, I honestly believe the Federal Liberals will pick up enough seats to form a majority next time.

Reverend Blair
So what's the deal with the chair kicking? At the very US-style press conference at the end of the convention one reporter asked Harper why he kicked a chair backstage yesterday, not once but twice, after his rehearsal speech. He moved on to the next question without even fully acknowledging the chair-kicking incident.

It makes you wonder though...Is that any way for a grown man to act? What did the chair do to Harper? Is a politican who would act like that in a venue crawling with press competent enough to lead? Is he a possible danger to himself and to others?

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

"That's why it's so disgusting that the Conservatives booted David Orchard out of their party."

I'm going to have to look into this further.

I'll let you know what I find, If your interested.

It's just silly. He was an observer.