Woman falls to death trying to save friend


spaminator
#1
Woman falls to death trying to save friend
Kelly Roche, QMI Agency
First posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 07:22 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, August 03, 2014 07:29 PM EDT
OTTAWA -- A 24-year-old woman died early Sunday trying to rescue a friend while camping near Renfrew, Ont.
"There was a group of seven friends from Quebec," OPP Const. Janice Sawbridge said, adding they are from Gatineau and Aylmer.
Emergency crews responded at 2 a.m. in Horton Township to a report of two campers who had fallen down an embankment.
A 20-year-old man had tumbled 35 feet but suffered minor injuries.
"He went for a walk or something ... and wandered off," Sawbridge said.
The man phoned his friends asking for help.
"He couldn't get up the side of the embankment," she said.
The woman went to assist and also fell.
Her name is being withheld as family is notified.
The fatal fall is one of two camping-related deaths over the long weekend.
A 65-year-old Ottawa man choked to death while eating.
"He was with family," Sawbridge said.
OPP and paramedics were called to an address on Matawanooka Line in the township of Greater Madawaska on Saturday evening.
The man was eating at a campfire and began choking.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Ontario Coroners Office is leading both investigations, assisted by the OPP.
kelly.roche@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @kellyroche6
Woman falls to death trying to save friend | Home | Toronto Sun
 
Nuggler
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Camping is very overrated.


Heimlich maneuver might have saved that guy. Good thing to learn.
Very sad.
 
taxslave
#3
Camping is willingly subjecting yourself to conditions that if supplied by an employer would make one go on strike, or quit.
 
SLM
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Camping is willingly subjecting yourself to conditions that if supplied by an employer would make one go on strike, or quit.

True but it's not as lame as glamping.

Glamping sites and luxury camping destinations - Glamping.com
 
EagleSmack
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post


Heimlich maneuver might have saved that guy. Good thing to learn.
Very sad.

And so easy to do. I used it twice in my life to save people from choking.
 
gopher
+1
#6
Sad that a Good Samaritan suffers when she was only trying to save her pal. Best to call camp rangers and other professionals and let them handle these situations.
 
WLDB
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

True but it's not as lame as glamping.

Glamping sites and luxury camping destinations - Glamping.com

Wow. That looks horrible.
 
SLM
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Wow. That looks horrible.


Lol, it's lame. Why wouldn't you just stay home? Go on a day hike if you really want to 'experience nature', then sleep in a hotel for the night.
 
Nuggler
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

True but it's not as lame as glamping.

Glamping sites and luxury camping destinations - Glamping.com

Jeez I'd be fraid of horseflies and so on.
The outdoors without the -er- outdoors.
My kinda camping
(gettin older eh)



In Algonquin Park, they rent Yurts.
Last time we went, t'was tempting,
But the tent was there
Paid for and all
Maybe some other time.
 
Praxius
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Woman falls to death trying to save friend
Kelly Roche, QMI Agency
First posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 07:22 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, August 03, 2014 07:29 PM EDT
OTTAWA -- A 24-year-old woman died early Sunday trying to rescue a friend while camping near Renfrew, Ont.
"There was a group of seven friends from Quebec," OPP Const. Janice Sawbridge said, adding they are from Gatineau and Aylmer.
Emergency crews responded at 2 a.m. in Horton Township to a report of two campers who had fallen down an embankment.
A 20-year-old man had tumbled 35 feet but suffered minor injuries.
"He went for a walk or something ... and wandered off," Sawbridge said.
The man phoned his friends asking for help.
"He couldn't get up the side of the embankment," she said.
The woman went to assist and also fell.
Her name is being withheld as family is notified.
The fatal fall is one of two camping-related deaths over the long weekend.
A 65-year-old Ottawa man choked to death while eating.
"He was with family," Sawbridge said.
OPP and paramedics were called to an address on Matawanooka Line in the township of Greater Madawaska on Saturday evening.
The man was eating at a campfire and began choking.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Ontario Coroners Office is leading both investigations, assisted by the OPP.
kelly.roche@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @kellyroche6
Woman falls to death trying to save friend | Home | Toronto Sun

So after all of that, she fell for him?

How romantic.
 
eh1eh
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

So after all of that, she fell for him?

How romantic.

Rimshot - YouTube