Microsoft to ban every browser but Internet Explorer from the new version of Windows

Locutus
The biggest lawsuit in Microsoft’s history dominated the 90s, when the company battled accusations that it was stifling browser competition. Rival Netscape couldn't survive, but the Windows giant was ultimately forced to strip Internet Explorer from its operating system in a landmark ruling.

That conflict may be brewing up again.

Mozilla, the developer group behind the popular Firefox browser, argued Wednesday night that Firefox is being banned from certain versions of Windows 8, the forthcoming tablet-centric OS from Microsoft -- returning Windows users to the dark ages before competition.
“The upcoming release of Windows … and Microsoft’s browser practices regarding Windows 8 Metro signal an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages where users and developers didn’t have browser choices,” wrote Harvey Anderson, Mozilla general counsel, in a Wednesday night blog post.

Read more: Microsoft returning Windows to 'the digital dark ages'? | Fox News

SLM
+2
I guess they just figure it's easier to litigate the competition out of existence.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I guess they just figure it's easier to litigate the competition out of existence.

i'm surprised that they haven't bought the competition out of existence.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

i'm surprised that they haven't bought the competition out of existence.

I'll bet you this is may actually cheaper, plus this way they don't conflict with any anti-monopoly laws.

spaminator
i'm also surprised that they haven't created their own internet security suite and cd/dvd suite.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
All the more reason to stay on Windows XP or Windows 7. (Of course lets all just pretend Vista never existed.)

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

All the more reason to stay on Windows XP or Windows 7. (Of course lets all just pretend Vista never existed.)

You can only hang on to that for so long though can't you? Eventually won't it become obselete and newer software will be incompatible with it?

spaminator
+1

You can only hang on to that for so long though can't you? Eventually won't it become obselete and newer software will be incompatible with it?

I think that will eventually happen.

SLM

I think that will eventually happen.

That's how they get ya. Believe me, I hated giving up XP for Vista (especially Vista, lol) but unless you have a copy of the OS, you're stuck with what comes loaded when you buy new.

spaminator

That's how they get ya. Believe me, I hated giving up XP for Vista (especially Vista, lol) but unless you have a copy of the OS, you're stuck with what comes loaded when you buy new.

I understand how you feel. i'm hoping that windows 8 will be an improvement over windows 7. what has me worried about windows 8 is the new metro/tablet like user interface for pc desktops, etc..

Andem
+1
I didn't read the article, but the actual headline should read: "Microsoft wants to limit browser support on its Windows Phone OS".

Since Windows Phone has such a small market share, it's hardly an anti-trust issue. I'd be a little bit pissed if I had a Windows Phone, but I never really liked the functionality they offered, so I passed and stuck with Android (which has its own legal issues).

TenPenny
+1

Actually, you can use Linux, and I believe you may get a rebate for no os. Linux is free.

skookumchuck

i'm also surprised that they haven't created their own internet security suite and cd/dvd suite.

You never heard of MSE? Microsoft Security Essentials. It happens to arguably be the best free security program out there. There are a whole lot of security professionals using it. Add Malwarebytes Anti Malware along with MSE and your a cut above most users.

Andem
+3
#14  Top Rated Post
*you're

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post

*you're

uh oh..... Andem is a grammar nazi.

SLM
Very GC!

I'll have to be sure to mind my speeling.

damngrumpy
Why should Microsoft have to accommodate its competition? In addition why
should the telephone companies have to share their lines and equipment. If
a company wants to enter the phone business they should have to provide all
their own equipment.
Its like saying Ford parking lots should be required to make available 25% of
their parking lot for competitors to sell products from their lot.
If FireFox wants to get into the market they should be required to provide their
own infrastructure and provide the services Microsoft has, I don't see why they
should have to share or make their products compatible.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

Why should Microsoft have to accommodate its competition? In addition why
should the telephone companies have to share their lines and equipment. If
a company wants to enter the phone business they should have to provide all
their own equipment.
Its like saying Ford parking lots should be required to make available 25% of
their parking lot for competitors to sell products from their lot.
If FireFox wants to get into the market they should be required to provide their
own infrastructure and provide the services Microsoft has, I don't see why they
should have to share or make their products compatible.

That has got to be the dumbest reasoning I have seen here in a while. That's like saying that blaupunkt or sony et.al. should have to build their own cars if they want to have a market in car stereos.

taxslave
We use Safari on the one non apple laptop we have. Works much better than anything Microsoft produces.

B00Mer
+2
Now if someone would only be smart enough to build a windows based platform on Linux software vs windows software.. which I might add Linux is much more stable... sorta, build a better mouse trap..

I think many computer manufacturers would be beating down the door to jump ship from Mircosoft.

Kreskin
+2
If Apple can block out the competition why can't Microsoft?

skookumchuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Bingo!

Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post

*you're

I nearly always forget that, but i'll remember that you're fussy

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Liberalman
+1
Windows is still a popular OS and most users really don't care about the browser they use as long as they can have a good Internet experience

Windows appeals to the average person who really does not care to take it to the next level.

For those that eventually want to take it to the next level will get other computers of just expand it 2 hard drives.

We have to remember that less than 30% of the world population has computers so Windows will be popular for many years to come.
Last edited by Liberalman; May 12th, 2012 at 03:23 AM..Reason: spelling

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

.... and not download any more Windows 7 or Windows XP updates. MS could still get rid of any unfavorable browsers and other nasty things just by putting a few commands into the updates.

Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

You never heard of MSE? Microsoft Security Essentials. It happens to arguably be the best free security program out there. There are a whole lot of security professionals using it. Add Malwarebytes Anti Malware along with MSE and your a cut above most users.

Malwarebytes? It isn't even mentioned in the reviews anymore. http://anti-malware-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

We got rid of it and replaced it with Kaspersky.

spaminator

does Microsoft have a cd/dvd suite?

skookumchuck
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

.... and not download any more Windows 7 or Windows XP updates. MS could still get rid of any unfavorable browsers and other nasty things just by putting a few commands into the updates.

Malwarebytes? It isn't even mentioned in the reviews anymore. http://anti-malware-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

We got rid of it and replaced it with Kaspersky.

Malwarebytes is NOT a security suite. It works in conjunction with your security suite. There is a free on demand version and a real time protection version MBAM Pro.The Pro version is 24.95 for a lifetime license.
It is NOT to be used as a stand alone anti virus, that is not it's purpose and i will not go into the technical details as apparently your level of knowledge is not sufficient.
The link you provided only rates full security suites, so if you replaced MBAM with Kapersky you did not know what you were doing.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61 - TechSpot Downloads

The pro version of MBAM is very well known in the security field worldwide and generally rated number one in it's class. SAS (Super anti spyware)is a similar and good program, it is also not a security suite but an additional level of protection.
I suggest you do some reading on security.

does Microsoft have a cd/dvd suite?

Not sure what you are asking? What context? To create cd/dvd's?
Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player

spaminator

Malwarebytes is NOT a security suite. It works in conjunction with your security suite. There is a free on demand version and a real time protection version MBAM Pro.The Pro version is 24.95 for a lifetime license.
It is NOT to be used as a stand alone anti virus, that is not it's purpose and i will not go into the technical details as apparently your level of knowledge is not sufficient.
The link you provided only rates full security suites, so if you replaced MBAM with Kapersky you did not know what you were doing.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61 - TechSpot Downloads

The pro version of MBAM is very well known in the security field worldwide and generally rated number one in it's class. SAS (Super anti spyware)is a similar and good program, it is also not a security suite but an additional level of protection.
I suggest you do some reading on security.

Not sure what you are asking? What context? To create cd/dvd's?
Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player

I ment an all in one cd/dvd program. eg play, rip, burn, etc.