Breaking-misc.

Ocean Breeze

At least 5 people dead in Hurricane Dorian��s catastrophic assault on the Bahamas, prime minister says

Dorian, tied for the most intense storm on record to make landfall anywhere in the North Atlantic Ocean Basin when it struck as a 185 mph Category 5, is leaving a trail of destruction across the northern Bahamas as it levels homes, blows out roofs and windows, and floods airports and roads. Currently rated a Category 4 storm, Dorian continues to batter the islands.
Source: wAPO

Ocean Breeze
Dorian weakens slightly but expands in size, putting Fla., Ga. and Carolinas at risk
The storm, now a Category 2 hurricane with 110-mph winds, was moving northwest at 2 mph and is expected to maintain its intensity. Images emerging from the Bahamas show absolute devastation on Abaco and Grand Bahama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...evening&wpmm=1

Curious Cdn
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
I'm terribly afraid that your "5 people dead" may end up being a couple of thousand.

Ocean Breeze
+2
Dorian's death toll in the Bahamas reaches 20 but is expected to rise, health minister says

Authorities have found 17 dead in Abaco and three in Grand Bahama, but more fatalities may be discovered as searches of decimated areas continue.

source: WAPO

Ocean Breeze
+1
Bianca Andreescu wins U.S. Open semifinal

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canada...inal-1.4580553

Ocean Breeze
+2

Robert Mugabe, who led Zimbabwe for 30 years from independence to economic ruin, dies at 95

The Zimbabwean president rose to power as a champion of anti-colonial struggle, but during 37 years of authoritarian rule presided over the impoverishment and degradation of one of the sub-Saharan African country. His death was announced on Twitter by Zimbabwe's current president, Emmerson Mnangagwa.

Curious Cdn
+1
I have to say it but the World is a better place for his passing. Zimbabwe may never recover from the damage he has done.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I have to say it but the World is a better place for his passing. Zimbabwe may never recover from the damage he has done.

You could say that about a lot of dead people. Are you referencing what he did to the country before he became corrupt or are you including what he did to end the corruption before he came onto the scene?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

You could say that about a lot of dead people. Are you referencing what he did to the country before he became corrupt or are you including what he did to end the corruption before he came onto the scene?

Everywhere is shyte.

Take the cyanide.

taxslave
+1
I thought the bastard dies a long time ago. Must have been wishful thinking.

Curious Cdn
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I thought the bastard dies a long time ago. Must have been wishful thinking.

That was Vander Zalm you were thinking of.
Oh, cripes! He's not quite dead yet, either!
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Sep 6th, 2019 at 08:30 PM..

Ocean Breeze

That was Vander Zalm you were thinking of.
Oh, cripes! He's not quite dead yet, either!

Not quite doesn't count.

darkbeaver
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Robert Mugabe, who led Zimbabwe for 30 years from independence to economic ruin, dies at 95

The Zimbabwean president rose to power as a champion of anti-colonial struggle, but during 37 years of authoritarian rule presided over the impoverishment and degradation of one of the sub-Saharan African country. His death was announced on Twitter by Zimbabwe's current president, Emmerson Mnangagwa.

We will miss him,who was he again?

Curious Cdn
+1
Halifax is getting clobbered by Dorian, still a Category 2 hurricane as it finally made landfall again for the first time since Bermuda.

I was looking at my "Boat Watch" app that tracks the position any ship around the world that has its transponder turned on. I watched our Navy and some visiting NATO warships skidaddle out to sea, yesterday (a MUCH safer place to be in a hurricane than near a hard rock shoreline,). I see them tonight, all hunkered down around the corner in the Bay of Fundy, half way across off of St. John.

(A British Type 23 is riding it out in Halifax. Couldn't get it started, probably. Lucas electrics ...)

Colby's going to be having a wet night.

Enough of these big storm surges and Nova Scotia is going to become an island. It's not that ridiculously far off.

pgs

Halifax is getting clobbered by Dorian, still a Category 2 hurricane as it finally made landfall again for the first time since Bermuda.

I was looking at my "Boat Watch" app that tracks the position any ship around the world that has its transponder turned on. I watched our Navy and some visiting NATO warships skidaddle out to sea, yesterday (a MUCH safer place to be in a hurricane than near a hard rock shoreline,). I see them tonight, all hunkered down around the corner in the Bay of Fundy, half way across off of St. John.

(A British Type 23 is riding it out in Halifax. Couldn't get it started, probably. Lucas electrics ...)

Enough of these big storm surges and Nova Scotia is going to become an island. It's not that ridiculously far off.

Did you start that collection yet ?

Serryah
+1

Our area was hit hard but not as hard as Halifax was.

I'm not sure how the Tantramar Marsh handled the storm surge; I may take a drive out there just to see, but if we get more storms like that you're right, it won't be long until NS becomes an island, and my area becomes beach front instead of just lowland/sea level

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Our area was hit hard but not as hard as Halifax was.
I'm not sure how the Tantramar Marsh handled the storm surge; I may take a drive out there just to see, but if we get more storms like that you're right, it won't be long until NS becomes an island, and my area becomes beach front instead of just lowland/sea level

Someday, after one of these events, you'll be looking at the Strait of Tantramar and the Army in Gagetown will be scrambling to put up Bailey bridges of some sort to re-connect Nova Scotia with the mainland.

Alas, that pretty corner of New Brunswick is doomed to sucome to rising sea levels, sooner or later. There just isn't the money to even try to protect it.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Did you start that collection yet ?

There are already GoFundMe sites set up.

I'm sure that you will make a generous donation, due to the socially responsible, inclusive empathy of your Libertarian ideology.

pgs

There are already GoFundMe sites set up.

I'm sure that you will make a generous donation, due to the socially responsible, inclusive empathy of your Libertarian ideology.

So you havenít .

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

So you havenít .

What? Started another GoFundMe site?

No.

Danbones
How about a go fund THEM site then?

LOL Haha ...Noe. What was I tinkin'?

Serryah
+3

Someday, after one of these events, you'll be looking at the Strait of Tantramar and the Army in Gagetown will be scrambling to put up Bailey bridges of some sort to re-connect Nova Scotia with the mainland.

Alas, that pretty corner of New Brunswick is doomed to sucome to rising sea levels, sooner or later. There just isn't the money to even try to protect it.

People in town are shocked today the new retention ponds and abouiteau installed seem to have worked and the flooding that was almost a guarantee on Lorne St didn't happen.

At least it was a little good news for our small town.

But as you said, someday it will happen and the marsh will become the Straight of Tantramar (or Chignicto) and the cash to repair that will be insane.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by curious cdn View Post

i'm terribly afraid that your "5 people dead" may end up being a couple of thousand.

petros

How many thousands have died?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

How many thousands have died?

How many do you wish should have died?

Are you now disappointed because no one has died?

Curious Cdn

You're not going to think that's very funny in a week or two.

Then again, maybe you do.

Sad.

Ocean Breeze
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

People in town are shocked today the new retention ponds and abouiteau installed seem to have worked and the flooding that was almost a guarantee on Lorne St didn't happen.

At least it was a little good news for our small town.

But as you said, someday it will happen and the marsh will become the Straight of Tantramar (or Chignicto) and the cash to repair that will be insane.

special and caring thoughts to all of you on the east coast.

petros
+1

You're not going to think that's very funny in a week or two.
Then again, maybe you do.
Sad.

47 = thousands and thousands.

Curious Cdn

47 = thousands and thousands.

Your also an expert Coronor!

I should have known!

pgs

Your also an expert Coronor!

I should have known!