More than 500 GTA-area collisions due to Ice Storm

mentalfloss
Global warming.

More than 500 GTA-area collisions due to ice storn

The ice storm sweeping across southern Ontario wrecked havoc in the city on Saturday, causing collisions, closures and delays — and it’s not over yet.

It wasn’t a good day for anyone, but drivers especially were feeling the brunt of the vicious weather, with Ontario Provincial Police reporting Saturday evening that they’d responded to more than 550 crashes in the GTA and surrounding area throughout the day.

“We’ve had some serious collisions,” said OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt. “And the collisions we’re being called to, they’re all preventable. Remember, poor weather conditions and poor road conditions do not cause crashes; it is poor driving and driving beyond the conditions.”

In Toronto, police spokesperson Katrina Arrogante said they were also experiencing a significant increase in the number of collisions reported. Traffic services tweeted that there had been “numerous crashes,” with the majority taking place in Scarborough in the early afternoon.

Environment Canada said the ice storm hitting parts of southern Ontario could be “historic,” potentially downing trees and power lines and leading to widespread outages.

The forecast left much of the region scrambling to prepare for the weekend. Hydro One had extra crews on standby, some universities cancelled weekend exams and airports warned travellers to check their flights online before heading out. Drivers were urged to take extra care, as gusty winds and broken tree limbs could add to the danger on icy roads.

Environment Canada said freezing rain, ice pellets and snow could affect areas stretching from Windsor up to the Muskoka region and east to Ottawa.

https://www.thestar.com/news/starwea...onditions.html

Walter
People need to slow down.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote:

with the majority taking place in Scarborough in the early afternoon

leftii ville

mentalfloss
Rob Ford crack town.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Salma Zahid ...liebarrel

Salma Zahid is a Canadian politician, who was elected as a Member of Parliament in the House of Commons of Canada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salma_Zahid

Point being: Some people just are not used to dealing with the reality of winter.
they'd like to tax it away...

LOL, they believe in global warming and paid their taxes, so this can't happen. It must be rob ford's fault.

Meanwhile the tax dollars wasted, and business lost while dealing with all these reality denying idjits will be HUGE!!! They were warned on top of that!!! But because it was a real warning dealing with reality, they ignored it!!!

All the global warming BS that has never come true has conditioned them into not believing the little boys who cried wolf all the time.
Last edited by Danbones; Apr 15th, 2018 at 07:02 AM..

DaSleeper
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Which is the silliest....
One who walks into a train?
or
One who walks into a truck?

One likes trudeau and global warming!
The other's bible is Facebook!

mentalfloss
Get some meds.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Relax!...Its OK...

...looks like you are doing fine on the ones you are already on.

mentalfloss
I'm not taking any.

What are yours?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Has this storm been properly taxed?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
You know what? It's really crappy out there. I was driving around in it for a hour and it is a shyte day. For example Churches WHO NEVER close their doors have cancelled services, today. An Anglican Church Canon whom I know says it's the first time in his career that he has done that. Ontarians are not used to this stuff. Quebecers are and so are Maritimers. I don't recall ice storms in the West. You get all sorts of other crazy shyte, instead.

petros
Don't kid yourself, there are ice storms in your home province of SK.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
I guess not driving when you don't know how and conditions are shitty isn't an option for the chosen ones.

Hoid
I remember trying to drive from London to Kingston just after New Years 1980 and a massive ice storm. Cars in the ditch everywhere.

spaminator
[youtube]rog8ou-ZepE[/youtube]

Curious Cdn
Conservative
I remember living around the living room fireplace for three days when I was four years old due to the Great Ice Storm in Quebec before the last Great Ice Storm that lasted weeks.

spaminator
+1
I blame ice-sis

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I'm not taking any.

It's a "wall of denial" they say.

Haha, darn addiction deniers.

Besides...

truth is no defence, apparently these days accusations are all we need.
Last edited by Danbones; Apr 15th, 2018 at 01:52 PM..

Walter
Al Gore must be close.

Murphy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

I remember trying to drive from London to Kingston just after New Years 1980 and a massive ice storm. Cars in the ditch everywhere.

I don't think you were born then.

It's a shame that this storm hit. It made it difficult to move supplies overseas. It also made a mess of my summer place.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Three wood stoves in the cottage.

mentalfloss
The spring that hasn't sprung: Prairie cold snap could last through April

Environment Canadaís senior climatologist says heís surprised how long winter is lasting on the Prairies and warns cold temperatures could persist through the end of April.

David Phillips blames a polar vortex for the spring cold snap.

ďAt this time of the year, itís often back and forth, up and coming, very yo-yoish kind of weather, where youíre getting winter trying to hold on and summer wants to get a foothold,Ē Phillips said Monday.

ďAnd yet the war is being won by winter. Old Man Winter is clearly the bully in this particular situation and has got a grip on the entire West and is not letting go.Ē

Temperatures on the Prairies were still in the negative double digits Monday with lows reaching -27 C with the wind chill in parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. In southern Alberta, a snowfall warning was calling for up to 20 centimetres of the white stuff.

A typical temperature in Lethbridge, Alta., at this time of year is 11 C, Phillips said. It was -7 C Monday afternoon. Other parts of the Prairies were as much as 16 degrees below normal.

Phillips said the duration and intensity of cold the region is currently experiencing hasnít been felt since 1970.

The spring that hasn't sprung: Prairie cold snap could last through April - CityNews Toronto

DaSleeper
+2
Hot weather= Global warming
Cold weather= Global warming

How can you loose?

Heads or tails....both winner?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Phillips said the duration and intensity of cold the region is currently experiencing hasnít been felt since 1970.

So this is not a unique occurrence and has happened in the past. For a minute I was thinking some weak mind might attribute it to global warming or something.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

So this is not a unique occurrence and has happened in the past. For a minute I was thinking some weak mind might attribute it to global warming or something.

You shouldn't denigrate Flossy and Waldo that way!!!

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Three wood stoves in the cottage.

Git plumbing yet? Nothing worse that sitting on a frosty big.

Hoid
Wood is actually a worse polluter than coal.

Ought to be illegal.

Dixie Cup
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Hot weather= Global warming
Cold weather= Global warming

How can you loose?

Heads or tails....both winner?

LOL - it's called "climate change" happens all the time. Guess some people are just discovering that - huh! Who'd a thought?

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Git plumbing yet? Nothing worse that sitting on a frosty big.

Humus toilet.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Wood is actually a worse polluter than coal.

Ought to be illegal.

No wood?

what's in your underpants?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
"Humus toilet."

(mossy log)