The next Governor General

VanIsle
at 01:00 on July 08, 2010, EDT.
OTTAWA - The president of the University of Waterloo David Johnston is set to become the next governor general, news reports said late Wednesday.
The Ontario academic will be officially appointed as governor general in September when Michaelle Jean's term officially ends.
The highly educated legal scholar was born in Sudbury, Ont.. He served for 15 years as the principal and vice-chancellor of McGill University.
Johnston, 69, has studied at Harvard, Cambridge, and Queen's University in Ontario.
He wrote the terms of reference for the Oliphant inquiry which examined former prime minister Brian Mulroney's business dealings with German-Canadian arms dealer Karlheinz Schreiber.
He also hosted televised federal leadership debates, including the famous stand-off between Mulroney and then-prime minister John Turner in 1984.
Johnston became an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1988, and was made a Companion in 1997.
The Governor General is largely a ceremonial post, but Jean has had weighty decisions to make …

Read full story >

VanIsle
I was surprized at this as I actually thought Rick Hansen would be the next GG.

Colpy
An excellent choice.....non-partisan substance.......as opposed to celebrity.........

Kudos to Mr. Harper.

coldstream
Sounds like a much better choice than we've seen in recent decades.. atleast one not based on political orientation, or worse, political correctness. If Johnsonton uses Georges Vanier as the archetype of a Governor General.. he'll do okay.

cdarro
A pleasant surprise, someone with seemingly a little more substance than style, as opposed to the two most recent holders of that office. I know next to nothing about the man; he is supposed to be a legal expert. Is he much of a public speaker?

Downhome_Woman
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by cdarro View Post

A pleasant surprise, someone with seemingly a little more substance than style, as opposed to the two most recent holders of that office. I know next to nothing about the man; he is supposed to be a legal expert. Is he much of a public speaker?

OK - what 'lack of style' was Adrienne Clarkson subject to? Last
I checked, when she went abroad, she championed Canadian businesses and Canadian culture, I went to a 'do' at Rideau Hall. It was only for the 'locals' (Canadians). Everything on that buffet showcased every part of Canada - to the people that mattered and quite frankly, might never had the opportunity to experience another part of their country - and you think this is a bad thing? Here's another thing. One year, she went to the Gulf. She went to EVERY ship and on each ship she shook EVERY hand. She still keeps in touch with military families. OK - I realize that to those of you who have no love for the military it means nothing. But think about it. Everyone says that the position is merely 'ceremonial', that the person occupying the position doesn't care. And then here you have a former Governor General who keeps in touch with people that politicians have - let's face it - disregarded.
Look, I don't always agree with the decision regarding the person filling this position, but if we did away with it -or made it an elected position? I dunno ...there's a lot to be said for pomp and cercumstance - when it's not elected.

Johnnny
And guess what folks????? He is from SUDBURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See were not all crazy over here

Next im going to a become brigadier General

Nuggler
..........He kept Lyin Bryin out of the slammer. Gotta be a genius.

cdarro
Quote: Originally Posted by Downhome_Woman View Post

OK - what 'lack of style' was Adrienne Clarkson subject to? Last
I checked, when she went abroad, she championed Canadian businesses and Canadian culture, I went to a 'do' at Rideau Hall. It was only for the 'locals' (Canadians). Everything on that buffet showcased every part of Canada - to the people that mattered and quite frankly, might never had the opportunity to experience another part of their country - and you think this is a bad thing? Here's another thing. One year, she went to the Gulf. She went to EVERY ship and on each ship she shook EVERY hand. She still keeps in touch with military families. OK - I realize that to those of you who have no love for the military it means nothing. But think about it. Everyone says that the position is merely 'ceremonial', that the person occupying the position doesn't care. And then here you have a former Governor General who keeps in touch with people that politicians have - let's face it - disregarded.
Look, I don't always agree with the decision regarding the person filling this position, but if we did away with it -or made it an elected position? I dunno ...there's a lot to be said for pomp and cercumstance - when it's not elected.

I didn't say that Clarkson (and Jean particularly) lacked in style, but that they were somewhat lacking in substance; i.e., the only qualifications either of them seemed to have for the office were their gender and ethnicity (since there had never been a nonwhite GG) and in Clarkson's case, her former public profile. One should need more than to be attractive, elegant and be a moderately successful journalist to qualify for the Viceregal position. You have reacted to a statement that wasn't made. (Rereading my post I can see where it might seem that I did so.)

Regarding your second paragraph, I didn't say nor do I think that the office should be elective. But it wouldn't be a bad thing if appointments thereto were subject to an affirming vote or resolution of the House.
Last edited by cdarro; Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:32 AM..