SPLIT thread: Why to do anything about global warming

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Anna:

He failed at his attempt to prove AGW isn't happening now he has taken it to the next level.

.. And you can conclusively prove that AGW is happening?

VanIsle
This thread is about global warming. I want to know where the warmth is. It's only 13 degrees here - less than half what it should be and I'm damn near frozen. It' almost 20 in my house but I'm in need of a nice hot shower to rid myself of the chill in the air! Brrrr to global warming.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

This thread is about global warming. I want to know where the warmth is. It's only 13 degrees here - less than half what it should be and I'm damn near frozen. It' almost 20 in my house but I'm in need of a nice hot shower to rid myself of the chill in the air! Brrrr to global warming.

We're on our 3rd day of snow in Southern Alberta... This global warming thingy is a real b*tch

L Gilbert

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

We're on our 3rd day of snow in Southern Alberta... This global warming thingy is a real b*tch

lol

I didn't realize that the West Coast and AB were globes.

Avro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDTUu...layer_embedded#!

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

The topic of this thread is what to do about global warming.

Further deviations will lead to moved posts. There's plenty of threads on this forum discussing the physical basis of global warming and climate change.

Pretty strong reaction dontcha think?

Regarding what to do about global warming?... Nothing, it's like worrying about how to stop the tides from rising and falling.

Tonington
Spectroscopic evidence says otherwise. And regarding the ocean tides, global warming is also concomitant with ocean acidification, another huge problem.

VanIsle
I was also taken back at the decision to move this. My post was light hearted and was not leading into a major discussion about the weather. I think there was a pretty big exaggerated move here. The discussion was still on the outer fringes of the name of the post. I doubt it would have moved into anything bad or any big discussion about the daily weather. It was like someone was laying in wait for the chance to show everyone that it really will happen. I agree with the concept but I think there is a fine line in this case.

JLM

You're talking "weather", VanIsle, Global warming is about climate (weather over several years) anyway, with this catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico which is likely to bring about the end of the world as we know it, global warming will be a moot issue. Maybe just as well, the human animal has become greedy pretty well beyond the point of no return. Hopefully the human animal destroys itself before it destroys the planet. They can be such A$$holes.............

selin

i guessed that ; the only people who could like Global Warming should be the people at the North

hermite
I'm liking it so far. Here in No Ontario I've already got tomatoes in my garden that are knee-high.

And I'm being facetious. I've long avoided getting into this discussion here but I finally feel I must say something. First, it's not global warming, it's climate CHANGE. That's why there's snow where there should be heat and vise versa. And what it portends is that all weather will become much more extreme. Like we just had 30+ for three days, in May! Record-setting (that means it's never happened before).

What I've done is give up my car. Two years ago. I understand, people gotta have their vehicles for this and that. But I got so tired of seeing thousands upon thousands of huge automobiles going about with just one person in them. So now I car pool, ride share, bicycle, walk. And if everyone were to do that, just think of all the emissions that would be cut down as well as how much less oil we'd need to survive.

I've also given up watching TV. But that's a rant for another day.

Over and out.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by hermite View Post

I'm liking it so far. Here in No Ontario I've already got tomatoes in my garden that are knee-high.

And I'm being facetious. I've long avoided getting into this discussion here but I finally feel I must say something. First, it's not global warming, it's climate CHANGE. That's why there's snow where there should be heat and vise versa. And what it portends is that all weather will become much more extreme. Like we just had 30+ for three days, in May! Record-setting (that means it's never happened before).

What I've done is give up my car. Two years ago. I understand, people gotta have their vehicles for this and that. But I got so tired of seeing thousands upon thousands of huge automobiles going about with just one person in them. So now I car pool, ride share, bicycle, walk. And if everyone were to do that, just think of all the emissions that would be cut down as well as how much less oil we'd need to survive.

Over and out.

Intelligent you are Hermite. I would suggest what is happening is POLAR WARMING. The use of the automobile has definitely reached the extreme. I say if you can walk, walk. It's better for health and saves a lot of money and everyone these days is short of money it seems. What it is, is a bad habit that is hard to break, but I would suggest to start, walk any distance less than 1/2 mile and go up from there.

DaSleeper
I walk as much as I can, not because I believe in man made global warming, but to reduce air pollution.....So I don't really care what everyone else believes in, as long as I breathe cleaner air

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I walk as much as I can, not because I believe in man made global warming, but to reduce air pollution.....So I don't really care what everyone else believes in, as long as I breathe cleaner air

Good thinking- It seems these days most people have to attribute (blame) someone/thing for everything that happens. We should just accept it that things are what they are and set about improving it. We know fumes are detrimental, so the solution is obvious- reduce them....................

wulfie68
I'm still not sure what side I am on in the Climate Change Debate: there appears to be misinformation, incomplete information, scare tactics and induced hysteria on both sides to the point that I wish most people on both sides would shut the f*** up.

That being said, I think some of the measures that can be taken to "combat" climate change aren't such bad ideas. Relating back to the discussion on falling Canadian productivity, we need to encourage more R & D in many segments of our economy, and areas like reducing waste materials and energy consmuption are key. Re-using materials, getting more use out of the energy we consume, these are things we need to encourage. Whether climate change is a man-made problem or something cyclical and integral to the planet, conservation measures make us more efficient and save money/resources in the long run. Conversely there are things advocated by "environmentalists" that I think are absolute crap, such as the whole cap & trade systems for green house gas emissions (spare me the rationalizations, its a false measure that relies on some arbitrary negotiated benchmarks that reflect economic strength, not the actual pollution levels of the participants).

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by hermite View Post

Over and out.

The northern hemisphere is losing ice hand over fist, the southern hemisphere is experiencing the hottest summers they had for long periods of time, the oceans' average mean temperatures are rising and yet the globe isn't warming. Interesting.

darkbeaver
Arctic Ice Volume Has Increased 25% Since May, 2008

In 2008, less than half of the ice (47%) was greater than two metres thick. Now, more than 75% of the ice is greater than two metres thick. In 2008, 18% of the ice was more than three metres thick. This year that number has increased to 28%.

Avro
Really?

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Time magazine! You don't have two clues Avro.

Sure he does. Now show us how many clues you have, and explain why you think a change over two years is noteworthy? Is it even outside the standard deviation of the long-term trend?

darkbeaver
There is no standard deviation long or short.There is no standard deviation at all. Climate variability is a permanent feature of all celestial orbs in this system.

Avro

There is no standard deviation long or short.There is no standard deviation at all. Climate variability is a permanent feature of all celestial orbs in this system.

Is that short for cherry picking?

Tonington

Do you know the difference between signal and noise?

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

You're talking "weather", VanIsle, Global warming is about climate (weather over several years) anyway, with this catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico which is likely to bring about the end of the world as we know it, global warming will be a moot issue. Maybe just as well, the human animal has become greedy pretty well beyond the point of no return. Hopefully the human animal destroys itself before it destroys the planet. They can be such A$$holes.............

I knew exactly what I was referring to JLM. It was simply a tiny lighthearted comment stating that I see no evidence of "global warming" where I live. Like Hermite - this is one of those areas I have avoided. I also agree with her that we are into climate change and nothing else. "Weather" records from 50 - 60 years ago show the same thing happened then as is happening now.

Tonington
Van, if I was going to check the weather near you, which weather station would that be?

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Is that short for cherry picking?

No it's short for the historical and physical reality.

Avro

No it's short for the historical and physical reality.

Let's see where you get your proof from.

Show me facts.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Van, if I was going to check the weather near you, which weather station would that be?

While I no longer use Telus as my provider, I still use their homepage. I set the weather page to Nanaimo so if you want to look at it just go to that page and edit the page to Nanaimo - all you will see is that we are getting rain and more rain. Hmm - now I am thinking you want to see where I am looking at records from maybe 50 - 60 years ago. I don't remember right now if that is where I always read them or not. I'll have to look. It used to be at least (and I think that's the one unless it was when I used Canada.com as my homepage) that it showed the coldest and hottest day on record at the same time as it showed the current reading. I used to study it a little because it seemed very interesting that such extremes occurred.
It's the www.canada.com page.
Last edited by VanIsle; May 30th, 2010 at 08:10 PM..

darkbeaver
May 29 As I said previously, there is no such thing as a greenhouse gas, let along a greenhouse gas effect
NASA covered up for forty years proof that the greenhouse gas theory was bogus. But even worse, did the U.S. space agency fudge its numbers on Earth’s energy budget to cover up the facts?
As per my article this week, forty years ago the space agency, NASA, proved there was no such thing as a greenhouse gas effect because the ‘blackbody’ numbers supporting the theory didn’t add up in a 3-dimensional universe:
"During lunar day, the lunar regolith absorbs the radiation from the sun and transports it inward and is stored in a layer approximately 50cm thick....in contrast with a precipitous drop in temperature if it was a simple black body, the regolith then proceeds to transport the stored heat back onto the surface, thus warming it up significantly over the black body approximation... "

Thus, the ‘blackbody approximations' were proven to be as useful as a chocolate space helmet; the guesswork of using the Stefan-Boltzmann equations underpinning the man-made global warming theory was long ago debunked. If NASA had made known that Stefan-Boltzmann's numbers were an irrelevant red-herring then the taxpayers of the world would have been spared the $50 billion wasted on global warming research; because it would have removed the only credible scientific basis to support the theory that human emissions of carbon dioxide changed Earth’s climate. Source

Louis Hissink's Crazy World - Windows Live

AnnaG

Arctic Ice Volume Has Increased 25% Since May, 2008

In 2008, less than half of the ice (47%) was greater than two metres thick. Now, more than 75% of the ice is greater than two metres thick. In 2008, 18% of the ice was more than three metres thick. This year that number has increased to 28%.

Tell that to Greenlanders. They won't believe you.

Greenland ice - Google Search

Then there's this stuff:

http://climateprogress.org/2010/05/1...cience-center/

Massive Arctic ice cap is shrinking, study shows; Rate accelerating since 1985

Canada's Shrinking Ice Caps: Arctic Science Journeys Radio

As Arctic sea ice shrinks faster than 2007, NSIDC director Serreze says, “I think it’s quite possible? we could “break another record this year.” Climate Progress

Notice a couple of those links are from this month, this year.

I see a overall drop in the amount of global ice here:

Polar Sea Ice Cap and Snow - Cryosphere Today
Last edited by AnnaG; May 31st, 2010 at 02:04 PM..

Tonington

Hmm - now I am thinking you want to see where I am looking at records from maybe 50 - 60 years ago.

Yes, that's what I was looking at. Specifically I wanted to see how the climate has changed since the 60's. It's not which year was the hottest or coldest on this day that matters for climate, but the long term average weather.