Anyone have ideas about driving after a drink or two?

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

The tech already exists. It's basically a breathalyzer/ignition interlock. You have to blow into it and if your BAC is below the set limit the ignition switch will unlock so you can start it. Or something like that. The problem is, if you have a sober friend that's a goof, they can start your car for you.

Except that at intervals the car will demand a new sample and not move until the right mixture hits the computer.

AnnaG
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

I thought they lowered the BAC in Canada??

If not they need too.

Federal law says 80 mg alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.08 ). BC law says 50 mg per 100 ml. I don't know about other provinces.
As far as I am concerned,anything that distracts or hinders the person's driving abilities is a nono and I don't care if it is 1 drink, one toke, sleep deprivation, cellphone, or whatever.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

His post was about short buses being reserved for retards. Do what you must.

Oh, I see. A cryptic inslt. Then what I must do is ignore it and him.

lone wolf
+1 / -1
Muzzo is a trust fund brat - one of those entitled *people* to whom laws don't apply. Make an example of him.

Accused in Vaughan crash Marco Muzzo has history of provincial offences | Toronto Star

ETA: Figures our resident drive-by reddie guy would support the sport

AnnaG
+1
This Marco Muzzo dude seems to need removal from all roads in Canada until he grows the frack up (which may be never). That his family is beneficial to society is irrelevant.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

This Marco Muzzo dude seems to need removal from all roads in Canada until he grows the frack up (which may be never). That his family is beneficial to society is irrelevant.

Twenty years behind bars wouldn't be unreasonable if found guilty of all he's charged with. Make at least 10 of it hard labour!

Locutus
We the Mooses ‏@SaskDreaming

We the Mooses Retweeted Michael Peake
@pmharper has a lot of class. Bravo Sir

Michael Peake ‏@Michael_Peake

People leave flowers and pray at site of crash that killed 4 on Sunday. PM Harper made a private visit here today.

Cannuck

I explained that when I first came back into CC. Everyone here trolls to some extent, and you did it yourself by ignoring the topic and jabbing at me.

Don't be so silly. My first to posts were spot on topic. It's not my problem that (a) you consider somebody asking you a question, "jabbing" at you and (b) you refused to answer said questions.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

The tech already exists. It's basically a breathalyzer/ignition interlock. You have to blow into it and if your BAC is below the set limit the ignition switch will unlock so you can start it. Or something like that. The problem is, if you have a sober friend that's a goof, they can start your car for you.

That's only useful for instances involing impairment by high BAC. Contrary to popular opinion, it isn't really the biggest problem involving impaired driving. How many times have you heard of anybody being charged with impaired driving because they were too tired or too old? Like most issues, we focus on a symptom of a problem.

Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

PM Harper made a private visit here today.

Good for the Conservatives. It's important that Harper be percieved as having compassion.

AnnaG
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Don't be so silly. My first to posts were spot on topic. It's not my problem that (a) you consider somebody asking you a question, "jabbing" at you and (b) you refused to answer said questions.

Liar.

Your first "to" posts were;

What about lack of sleep? Aging? As for the thread topic, drinking a couple of drinks and driving is fine for most people.

I just read somewhere yesterday that scientists now say that 3-4 glasses of wine per day significantly reduces your chances of giving a ****

....but that's only because you're overly emotional

And as for jabbing, questions can be pointed and they can also contain insults. But most people know that. I'm surprised you'd even pretend to be ignorant of that.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's already in Criminal Code of Canada. It's upto Provinces to enforce and mandate stricter interpretations like getting a 24 roadside suspensions for as little as 1 drink or a doobie.

He is hooked on minimum sentences.

Cannuck

Liar.

Your first "to" posts were;

And as for jabbing, questions can be pointed and they can also contain insults. But most people know that. I'm surprised you'd even pretend to be ignorant of that.

You're going to take the title of Queen of silliness if you seriously see a "Jab" in the first post. The second post had nothing to do with you. Go take your medication.

AnnaG

You're going to take the title of Queen of silliness ....... Go take your medication.

Quote:

Don't be so silly

You win, genius. I am going back to the topic. You can insult your red herrings, strawmen, etc. all you want.

Cannuck

You win, genius. I am going back to the topic.

Good, hopefully you can stick to it and not bore me with your shenanigans. Are you remotely interested in answering the questions I first posed to you?

spaminator

billshaver
whats missing on here is whats been sealed for the coroners inquest, who was wearing seatbelts, who was on their mobile phone, how fast were people going, & who had right of way....also who was underr influence of drugs & alchol...all come up in inquest...all reat is bunk generated by people with nothing but tripe to spew from their cake holes.....anyhow all what i've sttsed is about the case....SO STICIK TO THE CASE....

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by billshaver View Post

anyhow all what i've sttsed is about the case....SO STICIK TO THE CASE....

So, you high, or drunk?

billshaver
futhermore...the older you get, the less you can drink & still maintain control of your car, that being said at 20 i could put down 6 22 oz bootels of 5% canadain beer and still drive home 25 miles through stop & go traffic...at 55..for get it...not even one today so many on phone ...doing what ever behind the wheel, and not know how to drive, when i was 20 still drovea car from 1930's , floor shift...a 39 merc..yep had to be some what on the ball today...no talent needed behind the wheel...so today no drinking & drive home at all, not even neighbours farm...i'll ride my horse or horse & buggy....also these deaths..sad but the real story will come out in inquest....

JLM

I'm surprised you'd even pretend to be ignorant of that.

Does he have to PRETEND to be ignorant?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

So, you high, or drunk?

What was your first clue?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

What was your first clue?

He was sounding a lot like you

bazinga.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

He was sounding a lot like you

That's good, there's hope for him yet!

tay
An experienced criminal lawyer at the Newmarket courthouse says his increasing expectation is that Marco Muzzo will plead guilty in the new year to avoid a trial.

The 29-year-old King resident has been in prison in Lindsay since the late September crash that killed three young children — Harry, Daniel and Millie Neville-Lake and their grandfather, King resident Gary Neville.

It also left two other family members badly injured.

One detail that gives credence to the theory that a deal is in the works is Greenspan's request for Muzzo to appear in person at the Newmarket court Jan. 6, according to criminal lawyer Domenic Manzo.

A further indication, Manzo said, is that Muzzo's legal team has yet to request bail.

"That's a big sign," he told yorkregion.com. "Once a bail hearing is delayed more than once, you start thinking, ‘What's going on?’

Defence will have been waiting to see what kind of case they have against them. If it's a strong case, lots of witnesses and he's on scene when police arrive, then defence might say, ‘Best to plead out'."

He said if this is, indeed, the defence's strategy, then Muzzo will have been, up until now, showing remorse by remaining behind bars.

It will also play to his benefit if he chooses to plead prior to bail ever being sought, because he will get the maximum amount of credit for admitting guilt at the earliest point.

At that point, if the Crown and defence can work out a deal and then present it to a judge at judicial pretrial, he added that Muzzo could be out of prison by 2018.

"I would have expected between eight and 10 years, but I've heard rumours that it's as low as seven," he said.

Manzo added that if the Muzzo family – one of the richest in Canada – puts up a large donation toward a foundation and gives some money to the Neville-Lake family, the sentence could be lowered significantly.

Muzzo could serve as little as two years in a minimum security prison, considering he’s garnering 1-1/2 days worth of credit for each 24 hours he's in prison pre-trial. Furthermore, a prisoner typically serves one third of his sentence in Canada.

Manzo added that there is some precedence in Canadian sentencing where an injection of cash can draw a lighter sentence.

He referenced the North York California Sandwich shooting, in which the accused agreed to pay the unintended shooting victim, Louise Russo, $2 million in cash as part of the plea agreement.

Manzo said that while many will not be happy with the predicted sentence, he added that when the incident occurred, many suggested Muzzo wouldn't spend any time behind bars, considering he's the heir to a billion-dollar construction empire.

"Great lawyers can't make miracles," he said. "You can't buy yourself out of something like this."

Muzzo faces 18 charges, including impaired driving causing death.

Greenspan said he was not able to discuss Muzzo's case with the media.

The creator of the Facebook page, Prison 4 Marco Muzzo, responded to a request for comment, explaining the group is calling for life in prison for Muzzo.

"Not $1 billion can take away the pain for the Neville-Lake family," the comment stated. "Nothing will, unless we get justice, which is life in prison."

more....

Looks like plea deal coming in Muzzo case, outside lawyer says

Danbones
pay the family?
like obama does with drone killings in afghanistan

like guns
cars don't kill people
people kill people
but soon they'll be taking our cars away
(literally google driverless etc)

drinkers shouldn't even play golf let alone drive or shoot for effes sakes
straightjacket required for dinner

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

An experienced criminal lawyer at the Newmarket courthouse says his increasing expectation is that Marco Muzzo will plead guilty in the new year to avoid a trial.

The 29-year-old King resident has been in prison in Lindsay since the late September crash that killed three young children — Harry, Daniel and Millie Neville-Lake and their grandfather, King resident Gary Neville.

It also left two other family members badly injured.

Looks like plea deal coming in Muzzo case, outside lawyer says

I'm of the mind that drunk driving is drunk driving and the crime was committed as soon as the driver turned the ignition switch- after that the results are a matter of good or bad luck. I say set the penalty for drunk driving at seven years imprisonment regardless of the outcome. I bet there would be a decrease in D.D. fatalities!

Blackleaf
I have no problem with driving after drinking alcohol as long as you don't go over the legal drink drive limit.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I have no problem with driving after drinking alcohol as long as you don't go over the legal drink drive limit.

What's legal and what's lethal can be two different things!

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Having been on the cleanup end of more than one drunk driving fatality I am all in favor of the death penalty for drunk driving causing death and much more than a year of no license just for impaired driving.

Do they serve their year of no driving before their death or after?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Do they serve their year of no driving before their death or after?

I don't suppose it would have much effect either way!

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I have no problem with anything if you aren't creating an unreasonable hazard to other people. Some folks just don't understand the concept of what is "reasonable". Perhaps that should be the starting point

Blackleaf

I have no problem with anything if you aren't creating an unreasonable hazard to other people. Some folks just don't understand the concept of what is "reasonable". Perhaps that should be the starting point

I think in England & Wales and in Northern Ireland, it's something like the equivalent of two pints of lager you are able to drink at most if you are a man in order to still be legally allowed to drive. For women, it's either the equivalent of a pint or a pint and a half, something like that. In Scotland, it's even lower.

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

if society took as much interest in impaired (by any means) and distracted (tech-spastics) driving as they do about cancer lotteries, bike lanes and loud chewing, maybe we'd get somewhere.

guess we really need a slew of high profile deaths for us to take notice and actually care.

loud chewing ( smacking), is a plague on society and is akin to finger nails across a blackboard. There oughta be a law.