Vatican hosts conference on possible alien life

Francis2004
Vatican hosts conference on possible alien life

Quote:

VATICAN CITY — E.T. phone Rome.

Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the centre of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church.

"The questions of life's origins and of whether life exists elsewhere in the universe are very suitable and deserve serious consideration," said the Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and director of the Vatican Observatory.

Funes, a Jesuit priest, presented the results Tuesday of a five-day conference that gathered astronomers, physicists, biologists and other experts to discuss the budding field of astrobiology -- the study of the origin of life and its existence elsewhere in the cosmos.

Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue.

Chris Impey, an astronomy professor at the University of Arizona, said it was appropriate that the Vatican would host such a meeting.

"Both science and religion posit life as a special outcome of a vast and mostly inhospitable universe," he told a news conference Tuesday. "There is a rich middle ground for dialogue between the practitioners of astrobiology and those who seek to understand the meaning of our existence in a biological universe."

Thirty scientists, including non-Catholics, from the U.S., France, Britain, Switzerland, Italy and Chile attended the conference, called to explore among other issues "whether sentient life forms exist on other worlds."

CTV News | Vatican hosts conference on possible alien life

Can the Vatican seriously consider Alien Life Forms ?

Would findings from this be considered credible if they contradict most "scientific" community findings at present ?

Why is the Church all of a sudden interested in such facts ?

AnnaG
Maybe they finally discovered the "X-Files" series?

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Francis2004 View Post

Can the Vatican seriously consider Alien Life Forms ?

More places to send missionaries? I don't even want to imagine the debate that'd follow the discovery of an alien intelligence, over whether they have souls and can or should be saved from themselves. The Church's record in such matters is not encouraging.

TenPenny
They're looking to boost their falling numbers, I suppose.

Or else hoping that lots of aliens are pre-teen boys. But that would be a tasteless comment.

Cliffy
I find it difficult to put Joey the Rat and his inquisitor mentality and the serious study of astrobiology in the same room.

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

I find it difficult to put Joey the Rat and his inquisitor mentality and the serious study of astrobiology in the same room.

Joey the Rat? I hope you don’t mean me, Cliffy.

Seriously though, I think the Church will have a grave theological problem if alien intelligent life is discovered. Did Jesus die only for human beings or also for the aliens? If he didn’t die for aliens, does that make aliens inferior to humans?

I think Church should concentrate on theological implications of intelligent life in the universe.

Spade
You can only be Joey the Rat if you're a Singer as well!

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Joey the Rat? I hope you don’t mean me, Cliffy.

Now you're confusing yourself with the Pope? You really do have an ego problem.

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Now you're confusing yourself with the Pope? You really do have an ego problem.

I was only kidding, TenPenny. That should have been obvious by my next sentence (“Seriously, though….”). I think Spade got that (at least that is the impression I got from his post).

But maybe my humour is too subtle for some.

AnnaG

I was only kidding, TenPenny. That should have been obvious by my next sentence (“Seriously, though….”). I think Spade got that (at least that is the impression I got from his post).

.... or non-existent. lol

Seriously, perhaps the RCC is looking for an ally to use in order to brainwash more effectively the human population. How's that for a conspiracy theory? lol

TenPenny

The word isn't 'subtle', it's 'nonexistent'.

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

The word isn't 'subtle', it's 'nonexistent'.

That is a matter of opinion, TenPenny. And you are entitled to yours.

TenPenny

That is a matter of opinion, TenPenny. And you are entitled to yours.

You mean I don't need to post a poll or anything to have an opinion?

Thanks, Lord High Mayor of Flexible Ethics, I'm humbly in your debt.

Spade
Alien life? We are the aliens. If we wanted to live in the States, we'd need a Resident Alien Card.

But seriously, the Great German Shepherd (Rottweiler perhaps?) is always searching for lost sheep and other starry-eyed Vegarants from Alpha Centauri and beyond.

Spade
Why Benny 16 is a believer..
UFO Video: Out Of the Blue - Part 1 of 2

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Why Benny 16 is a believer..
UFO Video: Out Of the Blue - Part 1 of 2

UFO nuts have been alleging cover up for a long time now. I don’t know if you remember Project Blue Book. That was when US Air Force appointed a commission to investigate the UFO phenomena. I think it was the Gordon Commission, he came to the conclusion that there is nothing to UFO business. As I recall, this was in the 60s.

At that time, UFO nuts alleged cover up and they have been doing that ever since.

Spade

UFO nuts have been alleging cover up for a long time now. I don’t know if you remember Project Blue Book. That was when US Air Force appointed a commission to investigate the UFO phenomena. I think it was the Gordon Commission, he came to the conclusion that there is nothing to UFO business. As I recall, this was in the 60s.

At that time, UFO nuts alleged cover up and they have been doing that ever since.

The lead scientific investigator of Project Blue Book was Dr. Allen Hynek. I think you'd call him a "UFO nut."
YouTube - Dr.Allen Hynek comes clean on his involvment in UFO coverup

Cliffy
In PEI in July of 1969, four of us saw a light in the sky that was moving at incredible speed then suddenly veered off at 90degrees and again at 90 degrees, and repeatedly change directions, at one time zooming in very close and then zooming straight out into space and disappearing. We watched this object for 10 - 15 minutes zooming around east of the beach we were standing on out over the Atlantic. I know what I saw and it was corroborated by the other three. Afte about 5 minutes we realized that this object could not possibly have been of terrestrial origin and started jumping up and down shouting, "We are over here! Come pick us up!"

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

The lead scientific investigator of Project Blue Book was Dr. Allen Hynek. I think you'd call him a "UFO nut."

I looked up Project Blue book, Spade. I was almost right. It was not Gordon Commission, but Cordon Committee (I was quoting from memory, going back more than 40 years). The Committee was charged with the task of investigating UFOs. It came to the conclusion that there was nothing extraordinary about UFOs. But UFO enthusiasts never accepted the results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blue_Book

Spade

I looked up Project Blue book, Spade. I was almost right. It was not Gordon Commission, but Cordon Committee (I was quoting from memory, going back more than 40 years). The Committee was charged with the task of investigating UFOs. It came to the conclusion that there was nothing extraordinary about UFOs. But UFO enthusiasts never accepted the results.

Project Blue Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neither did their leading scientific investigator.

Cliffy

That is because only someone who was half asleep din't see they were lying through their teeth.