Another Cash Grab by Cable TV

Bar Sinister
I've been watching the ads for Roger's Sportsnet 1, for the last few weeks without realizing its implications. It turns out that the new network is one designed to pull programs that already exist on other channels into a new subscription channel. Thus the Blue Jays have pretty much disappeared from the channels I was already subscribing to and are now available only on the new channel. Apparently the same thing is to happen to Oilers' and Flames' games.

I don't really care about the baseball, except that my wife likes to watch it. But requiring that I now pay extra to watch my hockey team is going a bit far. I have already phoned the CRTC over this and plan to phone my MP. I would like to suggest that anyone interested do the same. I am getting a bit tired of the endless ways TV providers in Canada find ways to suck cash out of their customers.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I've been watching the ads for Roger's Sportsnet 1, for the last few weeks without realizing its implications. It turns out that the new network is one designed to pull programs that already exist on other channels into a new subscription channel. Thus the Blue Jays have pretty much disappeared from the channels I was already subscribing to and are now available only on the new channel. Apparently the same thing is to happen to Oilers' and Flames' games.

I don't really care about the baseball, except that my wife likes to watch it. But requiring that I now pay extra to watch my hockey team is going a bit far. I have already phoned the CRTC over this and plan to phone my MP. I would like to suggest that anyone interested do the same. I am getting a bit tired of the endless ways TV providers in Canada find ways to suck cash out of their customers.

I couldn't agree with you more Bar.

I was unaware that they were corralling sports, into select channels.

This just follows along with the ignorant practice of "Infomercials" on pay channels.

weaselwords
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
What do you expect from "Rogers" if they can find a way to squeeze another buck out of the cash cow they'll use it.
Throw the blame back at the CRTC & the powers that be to allow the cable providers to ride roughshod over industry.
Your example of subcription cable is one but how about the big one the changeover to all Digital siginal over the tried & true Analog.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by weaselwords View Post

What do you expect from "Rogers" if they can find a way to squeeze another buck out of the cash cow they'll use it.
Throw the blame back at the CRTC & the powers that be to allow the cable providers to ride roughshod over industry.
Your example of subcription cable is one but how about the big one the changeover to all Digital siginal over the tried & true Analog.

Maybe the analog to digital conversion is a question of bandwith availability????

Liberalman

If you don't like it cancel your cable.
Cable is a business not a public service

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

How Liberal of you.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

How Liberal of you.

????

CDNBear

????

Sarcasm.

Conservatism = Corporate protection.

Liberalism = Consumer protection.

Way to side with the consumer Liberalman.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Aug 15th, 2010 at 11:00 AM..

weaselwords
+1
Your right, can't tilt against windmills to the "new world" standard. Still it doesn't change the fact after the changeover, for anyone to get whatever signals are still left over the air will require additional ancillary equipment on older product. Thus the simplest way to get digit is thru the cable co & whatever converter boxes they deem are necessary. Getting back to the original post, it makes it easy for the cable cos. to fragment the digital service, to the point of creating a subscription service for any & all feeds. Here's hoping the the CRTC is extremely vigilant as August 31 2011 approaches.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by weaselwords View Post

Your right, can't tilt against windmills to the "new world" standard. Still it doesn't change the fact after the changeover, for anyone to get whatever signals are still left over the air will require additional ancillary equipment on older product. Thus the simplest way to get digit is thru the cable co & whatever converter boxes they deem are necessary. Getting back to the original post, it makes it easy for the cable cos. to fragment the digital service, to the point of creating a subscription service for any & all feeds. Here's hoping the the CRTC is extremely vigilant as August 31 2011 approaches.

Agreed. I see cable costs closing in on the Hundreds of dollars in our future, as they categorize programing of all kinds. Forcing you to subscribe to multiple packages, containing one or two channels that you like, (only to ignore the bulk of) but still pay full fair.

Liberalman

Sarcasm.

Conservatism = Corporate protection.

Liberalism = Consumer protection.

Way to side with the consumer Liberalman.

It's Liberal corporate protection so the consumer can have more choice but if they don't want to pay the consumer should go to the competition but don't try to tie the hands of business.

If a group of consumers don't like the policies of a business complaining is a useless exercise that works some of the time.

If you look at the Rogers negative billing fiasco years back complaining tied up the phone lines but when the customers started to cancel their accounts that's when the company backed off because it's all about the bottom line.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Aug 15th, 2010 at 11:01 AM..

CDNBear

It's Liberal corporate protection so the consumer can have more choice but if they don't want to pay the consumer should go to the competition but don't try to tie the hands of business.

Ummm, ya. Segregating similar content broadcasts, into one package, and charging extra, isn't choice.

Quote:

If a group of consumers don't like the policies of a business complaining is a useless exercise that works some of the time .

I guess that means it isn't useless. Now you're starting to sound Liberal again. (Read double speak.)

Quote:

If you look at the Rogers negative billing fiasco years back complaining tied up the phone lines but when the customers started to cancel their accounts that's when the company backed off because it's all about the bottom line.

Yes, yes it is.

Liberalman
Quote:

Ummm, ya. Segregating similar content broadcasts, into one package, and charging extra, isn't choice.

The only way to change this is a boycott but this will never happen because too many people like their TV shows.

The only way to try to fight this is for the government to open up more licences for more cable companies that offer paying for individual channels

CDNBear

The only way to change this is a boycott but this will never happen because too many people like their TV shows.

The only way to try to fight this is for the government to open up more licences for more cable companies that offer paying for individual channels

Good luck with that. Teddies legacy would not be amused, and lets not forget all Teddies friends...like good ol Don Jean.

lone wolf
+1
Sooner or later, when they're all done gobbling up smaller companies with better service, there will be just a few cable "providers". Here, they're offline at least a few hours each week (but bill us for full time anyhow) and take the phone off the hook so we can't gripe. They're let all the service techs go and moved the office to the mall - and head office to wherever Eastlink hides out.

Liberalman

Good luck with that. Teddies legacy would not be amused, and lets not forget all Teddies friends...like good ol Don Jean.

Don Jean?

CDNBear

Don Jean?

You would likely know him as Jean Chretien.

selin

How Liberal of you.

lol,

Liberalman

You would likely know him as Jean Chretien.

wooohhooo

petros
We had a perfectly good state of the art fiber optic/satellite linked public system we just finished paying for it and owned outright, then sold it for magic beans, penny whistles and moon pies, allowed deregulating the quality standards, deregulated content, subsidized, gave preferential treatment to broadcast sports programming receiving amateur production in exchange and now question and complain they don't cut the mustard and are managed by idiots and need your money?

TV (especially cable) really does rot the mind.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

TV (especially cable) really does rot the mind.

Especially The Learning Channel.

VanIsle
Changing servers doesn't help. Shaw (I think just in BC and AB but maybe in more provinces), promised us $15.95 per month plus 4 cents per min. for LD phone. Our internet was to be $32.00 p/m. TV charges are, to a point, what you subscribe to. Shaw apparently gives you discounts for the number of services you subscribe to. My May bill came and along with other wrong charges, they charged me the HST which was not in effect until July. They do bill one month in advance but I`ve always watched June follow May so the HST should not have applied. I left the amount off when I paid the bill. The bill included charges of $50.00 for my internet (highest speed which we did not order), $30.95 for telephone plus the LD charges. Then to confuse things more, they throw in things they give you so called discounts for. The rest was for our TV and the total bill was around $170.00. I had switched back to Telus in June so I let the bill go to see what I ``really`` owed. I got another bill for over $400.00. I thought that they hadn`t gotten around to making the change on the billing so I threw a $100 on the bill thinking I probably had a credit by then. They cut off my services all together! I Went to their office where the girl who served me was so angry she could hardly speak to me. We got things straightened out but - she tells me our monthly bill will now be (just for Digital HD TV) $95.00 per month. Now we have to see what we are being charged for. I hate Shaw but we own two of their PVR`s so for now, we are stuck with them. We seem to have about a zillion sports channels showing up. They keep announcing that the channels we regularly watch some sports on are changing. I`m wondering if they are adding in more sports then we ordered and charging us. Hubby says he has no idea why we have so many sports channels. He set up our channels with them but we didn`t get charged like that 10 months ago.

Does anyone else own a Toshiba laptop. I have no idea what key I hit that changes my keyboard to French but it happens all too frequently and the only way I know how to fix it is to shut my computer down. There must be a key I can hit to change it back. This is my question mark right now ` doesn`t look much like one does it lol
Last edited by VanIsle; Aug 15th, 2010 at 10:56 AM..

Bar Sinister

You are talking to the wrong person. I don't have cable. I have satellite and it is the only option I have as I live in a rural area. There is no other provider for me to change to.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Does anyone else own a Toshiba laptop. I have no idea what key I hit that changes my keyboard to French but it happens all too frequently and the only way I know how to fix it is to shut my computer down. There must be a key I can hit to change it back. This is my question mark right now ` doesn`t look much like one does it lol

ctrl + shift will put it back. Hold the control key down while pressing the shift key. That toggles between the high ascii and standard.

VanIsle
Thanks gerry. I knew I was doing something around those keys. I tried doing that on Word just to see if the same thing happened (French keys) but it didn't. It happens on Face Book too. Maybe it's because French is used both there and on here. Anyway, thanks again. Now I will know what to do when it happens mid post again.

Bcool

One of my #1 rants - cable & satelite service in Canada, although "service" is an oxymoron in this topic. I'll try to keep it brief:

• It's a worse corporate-government boondoggle than you think. Up until last winter I was watching more tv on the Net than on Shaw's miserable cable line-up, Telus is no better. Shows, sports, documentaries, everything pretty much was available either at a show's site but usually at a broadcaster's site, usually as streaming video. Then some entertainment media watchdog twits published the stats for people who were switching to watching tv on the Net vs cable and satelite - almost 40% & growing daily! Panic in the boardrooms, various politco's offices & the CRTC board members were woken up & flown back from their ten month off duty breaks in Hawaii & Vegas!
  • Ok, re-write Bill C32 so as to really irritate the US media giants, so they made the 'digital lock' approach the focus of the Bill - the US got really ticked 'cos that won't stop what they want stopped (won't go into all that now, but very interesting.). So they blocked access to all media sites from Canadian ISP's: tv channel sites, individual shows sites, Hulla TV (Internet tv & movies), tons of YouTube music & movie videos, on-line books... You name it, they've blocked it. "Oh GOODY!," trilled Rogers, Shaw, Telus, Harper, CRTC and all.
  • IOW, six months or so ago I'd have suggested watching your sports over the Net. Now you can't because now they've got the US blocked & can publicly blame them, they've removed live Canadian tv off the Net as well. (CTV does have a lot of shows on their site still, but the list is dwindling and its all video not live.)
  • Recently this interference by tv service providers into what could be accessed on the Internet as well as the manipulation of channels by using 'bundling', was reviewed by the European Union because of complaints by a very large number of consumer groups in Europe. They ruled in favour of the consumers. No more bundling - A la carte choice from now on & also, not sure about this, I believe they told the tv service providers to get their money-grubbing mitts off the Net.
  • You may find "NetFlix" somewhat of a solution, they're opening for business in Canada in the Fall - Internet streaming video (can be networked to a tv if you purchase a gizmo to do so) as well as DVD rentals by mail. They've become very popular in the US since offering streaming video of tv shows - dunno about sports though. Popular enough to cause Rodger's knickers to get in a twist, the battle is on to try & keep what NetFlix can offer Canadians since they lost the battle to stop them opening shop here.
  • A VPN is very handy.
  • The CRTC would be a joke if it wasn't so outrageously offensive and autocratic in its behaviour towards the public its supposed to serve. You do know that they will only accept complaints in writing, only between certain dates and times and according to the agenda of complaints they decide they will consider I assume? Going through your MP as you did will probably get you more response, as may going to your MLA as well.
Some sites you may or may not find of interest:
Netflix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SaveOurNet.ca | Protecting your Internet's level playing field

I think you'll find a lot of folks here who are not going to take it any more either:

Digital Forum

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Bcool View Post

One of my #1 rants - cable & satelite service in Canada, although "service" is an oxymoron in this topic. I'll try to keep it brief:

• It's a worse corporate-government boondoggle than you think. Up until last winter I was watching more tv on the Net than on Shaw's miserable cable line-up, Telus is no better. Shows, sports, documentaries, everything pretty much was available either at a show's site but usually at a broadcaster's site, usually as streaming video. Then some entertainment media watchdog twits published the stats for people who were switching to watching tv on the Net vs cable and satelite - almost 40% & growing daily! Panic in the boardrooms, various politco's offices & the CRTC board members were woken up & flown back from their ten month off duty breaks in Hawaii & Vegas!
  • Ok, re-write Bill C32 so as to really irritate the US media giants, so they made the 'digital lock' approach the focus of the Bill - the US got really ticked 'cos that won't stop what they want stopped (won't go into all that now, but very interesting.). So they blocked access to all media sites from Canadian ISP's: tv channel sites, individual shows sites, Hulla TV (Internet tv & movies), tons of YouTube music & movie videos, on-line books... You name it, they've blocked it. "Oh GOODY!," trilled Rogers, Shaw, Telus, Harper, CRTC and all.
  • IOW, six months or so ago I'd have suggested watching your sports over the Net. Now you can't because now they've got the US blocked & can publicly blame them, they've removed live Canadian tv off the Net as well. (CTV does have a lot of shows on their site still, but the list is dwindling and its all video not live.)
  • Recently this interference by tv service providers into what could be accessed on the Internet as well as the manipulation of channels by using 'bundling', was reviewed by the European Union because of complaints by a very large number of consumer groups in Europe. They ruled in favour of the consumers. No more bundling - A la carte choice from now on & also, not sure about this, I believe they told the tv service providers to get their money-grubbing mitts off the Net.
  • You may find "NetFlix" somewhat of a solution, they're opening for business in Canada in the Fall - Internet streaming video (can be networked to a tv if you purchase a gizmo to do so) as well as DVD rentals by mail. They've become very popular in the US since offering streaming video of tv shows - dunno about sports though. Popular enough to cause Rodger's knickers to get in a twist, the battle is on to try & keep what NetFlix can offer Canadians since they lost the battle to stop them opening shop here.
  • A VPN is very handy.
  • The CRTC would be a joke if it wasn't so outrageously offensive and autocratic in its behaviour towards the public its supposed to serve. You do know that they will only accept complaints in writing, only between certain dates and times and according to the agenda of complaints they decide they will consider I assume? Going through your MP as you did will probably get you more response, as may going to your MLA as well.
Some sites you may or may not find of interest:
Netflix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SaveOurNet.ca | Protecting your Internet's level playing field

I think you'll find a lot of folks here who are not going to take it any more either:

Digital Forum

Quite so. I had an interesting discussion with two CRTC reps who went out of their way to defend Rogers' actions and claimed that they had no input over it. I finally told them that I was not interested in listening to a defence of the communications oligarchy that exists in Canada and told them simply to register my complaint. Next stop - my MP.

VanIsle
Do you really think you can change any of it? The TV runs in our house daily - hourly. I constantly hear about how there are many channels that are changing and to look to our guide to see what the changes are. I guess we have to wait and see what the changes are so we can really know what to complain about. It was just so much easier (and so much cheaper) when we only had channels 2 - 13. We even got to watch TV that we liked! Shaw sends out two pages of two sided billing and I don't have a clue what they are talking about. Nothing more than fancy footwork. Telus has a complicated bill. Shaw's is a Jigsaw Puzzle with missing pieces.

Bcool

Do you really think you can change any of it?

A person has to try & change what's unjust or, in this case, profiteering with the collusion of an unnaccountable bureaucracy. Gets very wearying though.

Quote:

The TV runs in our house daily - hourly. I constantly hear about how there are many channels that are changing and to look to our guide to see what the changes are. I guess we have to wait and see what the changes are so we can really know what to complain about. It was just so much easier (and so much cheaper) when we only had channels 2 - 13. We even got to watch TV that we liked!

That was so much better wasn't it? And they only repeated shows once!!

{QUOTE]Shaw sends out two pages of two sided billing and I don't have a clue what they are talking about. Nothing more than fancy footwork. Telus has a complicated bill. Shaw's is a Jigsaw Puzzle with missing pieces.[/QUOTE]

What I object to & cannot fathom is how its legal for them to charge us for the Knowledge Network, they don't pay a dime to the network for carrying it, let alone the PBS channels they don't pay for. And the endless hours of paid for tv advertising shows! They charge the advertiser a fee for broadcasting their advertising pitches and then turn around and charge us for that time too! Let alone that it also lets them off the hook for finding programming for many, many hours every week. BTW many Canadian basic channels are still required by law to be available with an antenna.

As for leaving the tv on, unless there's something worth watching, I watch good stuff on my notebook curled up in my recliner. "Ted Talks", documentaries and shows on "Miro", there's a lot of good stuff on the Net.

JLM

Do you really think you can change any of it? The TV runs in our house daily - hourly. I constantly hear about how there are many channels that are changing and to look to our guide to see what the changes are. I guess we have to wait and see what the changes are so we can really know what to complain about. It was just so much easier (and so much cheaper) when we only had channels 2 - 13. We even got to watch TV that we liked! Shaw sends out two pages of two sided billing and I don't have a clue what they are talking about. Nothing more than fancy footwork. Telus has a complicated bill. Shaw's is a Jigsaw Puzzle with missing pieces.

Sounds like you are having the same experience with Shaw we are- generally the bottom line being $160. You're better off just to wing the T.V. and listen to the radio.