The Proposed 10 dollar Cable Tax

missile
Any serious opinions on this new money grab? Personally,as we have no local programming here, I plan on cancelling my cable if this goes through..the 4 hours per week [only 4 shows I like] isn't worth the 40 something i shell out each month.

DurkaDurka
This "tax" is a load of bunk.

CRTC rules dictate that cable & satellite providers have to provide these local channels, forcing them to pay for them now is ridiculous seeing as they are free over the air. If anything, CRTC rules forcing the cable/satellite networks to carry these channels makes the networks even more money as they have a larger audience to sells ad space to.

This site explains it pretty good: GET THE FACTS Stop The TV Tax

petros
How fascist. A tax on something YOU built.

ironsides
Why not change to satellite dish, avoid paying the goverment anything.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Another system YOU built....

DurkaDurka

The money isn't going to the government it's going to the "over the air" broadcasters. Kinda like NBC, ABC, CBS in the US.

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Another system YOU built....

System I built? Don't think so.

petros
YOUR tax money never built the telecomm infrastructure? Everyone else's did, why not your's?

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

The money isn't going to the government it's going to the "over the air" broadcasters. Kinda like NBC, ABC, CBS in the US.

That sounds even worse, paying the broadcasters. Proves that their not making it with advertisers, back to the dish idea, at least you will be or not paying for what you want.

petros

That sounds even worse, paying the broadcasters. Proves that their not making it with advertisers, back to the dish idea, at least you will be or not paying for what you want.

Get what you want ? Knowledge Network and CBCnorth? Whoop dee doo!!!

DurkaDurka

YOUR tax money never built the telecomm infrastructure? Everyone else's did, why not your's?

What does telcom infrastructure have to do with wireless signals sent over the air? The only government link there is that the government owns said frequencies.

DurkaDurka

Regardless if you have Cable or Dish, you are going to get hit with the fee as both mediums redistribute the signals.

ironsides

Nope, private industry maybe with gov. help at the beginning built it. Dish network (just used them as a example) and other providers are using their own communication satellites.
Dish Network History - Dish Network Information - Echostar History

petros

Nope, private industry maybe with gov. help at the beginning built it. Dish network (just used them as a example) and other providers are using their own communication satellites.
Dish Network History - Dish Network Information - Echostar History

Your own word confirm my point; " maybe with gov. help at the beginning built it"

Thanks.

VanIsle

I don't know how it will work for you but I just got notice on my Bell bill that I will be paying extra and my Bell is Satellite. It states we will be paying somewhere between 1 - 1.5 % more per month for that tax.
I am moving in a week and switching companies. We are switching to Telus.They did not tell us there would be an extra tax so I guess we'll see on our first billing.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

I don't know how it will work for you but I just got notice on my Bell bill that I will be paying extra and my Bell is Satellite. It states we will be paying somewhere between 1 - 1.5 % more per month for that tax.
I am moving in a week and switching companies. We are switching to Telus.They did not tell us there would be an extra tax so I guess we'll see on our first billing.

The "tax" you speak about on your bill is entirely different then the one discussed.

With the proposed "tax" all tv providers would be obligated to add it on to your bill.

Are you switching to Telus satellite or IPTV?

VanIsle
Yes - the Bell bill states that. I am assuming that Telus will charge it but maybe they are including it with the cost. We are switching to Telus satellite. We are moving into a patio home and they have rules. Such weird ones that they have not even given us permission yet to install our dish. They say we have to write a letter requesting permission to install a dish yet there are many units there that already have them. Ahhh - the power of people once you give them a "position".

DurkaDurka
You know though that Telus satellite (rebranded expressvu) is the exact same thing as Bell's? I just assume you are getting a better dealing with bundling etc.

Lots of condos/housing associations will not allow dishes due to it wrecking the visual appeal of the neighbourhood etc etc.

VanIsle

You know though that Telus satellite (rebranded expressvu) is the exact same thing as Bell's? I just assume you are getting a better dealing with bundling etc.

Lots of condos/housing associations will not allow dishes due to it wrecking the visual appeal of the neighbourhood etc etc.

Exactly - I know that Telus uses Bell and yes - when you use Telus, it's less per month. For one thing, by going with the 3 year contract, we don't pay the $15.00 monthly PVR rental. Buying a PVR is useless unless you intend to stay with the same company forever. They all have their own PVR's.
Another thing many people are paying for is Time Shifting. It's only about $3.00 per month but if you have a PVR it's un-necessary. It was added to our bill without us even knowing it was there. The words are not exactly self explanatory. I asked what it was I was paying for to find out that I am paying them an extra $36.00 + tax per year so that I can watch a program earlier in the day! I never asked for it to be included with my bill. It isn't anymore.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Exactly - I know that Telus uses Bell and yes - when you use Telus, it's less per month. For one thing, by going with the 3 year contract, we don't pay the $15.00 monthly PVR rental. Buying a PVR is useless unless you intend to stay with the same company forever. They all have their own PVR's.
Another thing many people are paying for is Time Shifting. It's only about $3.00 per month but if you have a PVR it's un-necessary. It was added to our bill without us even knowing it was there. The words are not exactly self explanatory. I asked what it was I was paying for to find out that I am paying them an extra $36.00 + tax per year so that I can watch a program earlier in the day! I never asked for it to be included with my bill. It isn't anymore.

I was just curious if you were aware of that fact or not, I test the software that goes into the set top boxes.

Are you going with a standard def pvr or high def?

Yeah, I agree that PVR's render time shifting somewhat useless.

yeah, those little charges really add up.

kryptic
Figures... they think they have the sat/cable pirates at bay now with their new technology, perfect time to raise the costs of everything and force people to pay... and some how these pecker heads can't figure out why people steal it.

Dear Bell

I hope you die.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by kryptic View Post

Figures... they think they have the sat/cable pirates at bay now with their new technology, perfect time to raise the costs of everything and force people to pay... and some how these pecker heads can't figure out why people steal it.

Dear Bell

I hope you die.

It's not bell, or rogers or telus pushing for this "tax". it's the OTA (over the air) networks pushing for it because the cable/satellite companies rebroadcast their signals.

Do some bloody research.

Spade
Let CanWest Global stew!

kryptic

It's not bell, or rogers or telus pushing for this "tax". it's the OTA (over the air) networks pushing for it because the cable/satellite companies rebroadcast their signals.

Do some bloody research.

yeah... instead of bell paying for it like they should, they will just pass the buck on to us...

did my bloody research

VanIsle

I was just curious if you were aware of that fact or not, I test the software that goes into the set top boxes.

Are you going with a standard def pvr or high def?

Yeah, I agree that PVR's render time shifting somewhat useless.

yeah, those little charges really add up.

We have high def and we have standard. Hubby has his sports in high def and I really don't care as long as I get to view the couple of shows that I like. If things stay much the same as they are now since Telus uses Bell, most of what we have will show in both standard and in High Def. We've had a PVR from Bell for about 3 years now. Our monthly charges will range in the area of $77.00 plus tax but that $10.00 tax could be on top of that I suppose. We were paying $92.00 so it's a little less. I think Shaw might have cost less and they don't make you go for a contract which would have made us happy but - I need Discovery Kids and they don't carry it. I wasn't exactly happy with the fact that when I spoke to someone from Bell and asked them where they personally were located and found out I was speaking to someone in Costa Rica. At least the Telus person was in Canada and even in BC at that.
Little charges are okay if they are useful. With a PVR, they are not.

justfred
What did I miss from above. There will not be a "TAX!" There may be a $10. surcharge that will be redistributed to the local channels, that is not a TAX. Can you as a person imagine that the cable companies, satellite companies paying the local TV stations from the money that they get now. I don’t think so! How do you think that they can pay the 5, 10, 100, 250 million dollar bonuses to the executives of the these companies, if they did that.
I knew a pimp like them once.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by kryptic View Post

yeah... instead of bell paying for it like they should, they will just pass the buck on to us...

did my bloody research

I have serious doubts whether you know what day of the week it is.

This "tax" has nothing to do with bell. get a grip

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by justfred View Post

What did I miss from above. There will not be a "TAX!" There may be a $10. surcharge that will be redistributed to the local channels, that is not a TAX. Can you as a person imagine that the cable companies, satellite companies paying the local TV stations from the money that they get now. I don’t think so! How do you think that they can pay the 5, 10, 100, 250 million dollar bonuses to the executives of the these companies, if they did that.
I knew a pimp like them once.

tax, levy, surcharge. Call it what you will.

What do you think would happen to the OTA providers if the CRTC no longer forced cabled & satellite to carry there stations? Their advertising revenue would drop exponentially for one, seeing as they would be relegated to regional status. If you really think this 'tax" is about about supporting "local programming" you are delusional. It's about the consumer getting fleeced in order to prop up greedy networks.

petros
This fee is no different than UPS wanting money to drive on your roads to conduct business and pay for their tire wear and vehicle costs.

DurkaDurka

This fee is no different than UPS wanting money to drive on your roads to conduct business and pay for their tire wear and vehicle costs.

Oh really.