The 2010 Charade (Winter Olympics)

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

"It takes courage, tenacity, endurance, passion, and inner strengh to become a world class athelete and I for one, applaud them."

And what bloody use is it to the world and the people who live on it? Do they build? Do they invent? Do they create? Do they discover? Do they give to the poor? Do they save kittens? What what what bloody good are you because you can fly down a hill on barrel staves faster than the next idiot on barrel staves. They contribute to nothing but the circus specticle that passes too easily in todays fuzzy wuzzy world for accomplishment which itself passes for worth when it is quite plainly more valueless entertainment. Don't expect me to applaud people who throw away courage tenacity endurance passion and inner strengh to become a statistical success. You and I both know that on this planet right now on every continent there are millions of people who display the same virtuous characteristics every day just trying to feed themselves or save there familys. So when will we ever find the time to gaze in awe at those real life accomplishments when these spoiled deluded pups plug the media with the same old tunes and the same tricks. I don't care where they come from it's what they waste that makes the difference. And that is just my opinion, I'm pretty sure it's mine, yes it is. All I can say to them is "break a leg". They all do drugs anyway steroid junkies everyone of them I bet.

Sheesh, DB, what in heavenís name do you think our athletes do once they are past competition age in their sport Ė drop off the face of the earth. Most of them go on to contribute in all kinds of way to the betterment of Canadian society. Do you know for a fact that they donít save kittens or contribute to the poor? NO, as a matter of fact you donít.

I donít expect you to change your mind and start applauding our Canadian athletes, DB. I am simply standing up and being counted as one who supports and looks forward to the Olympics.

I take nothing away from people around the world struggling to simply put food on the table or a roof over their heads by supporting our Canadian athletes.

And speaking of people in poor countries, there are several organizations who along with helping the poor also promote sports for the simple reason that it gives those poor kids maybe the only real enjoyment they have in their lives. It also teaches them the value of sportsmanship and teamwork. Before you condemn athletes maybe you should go and talk to some of the runners and sprinters (as an example) from third world countries who through sports were able to rise above their circumstances and compete at world level. I am sure they would have a very different take on the Olympics then do you.

Actually, judging by your vehement attitude towards Olympics, one might think that you had once been a competitor but simply failed to make the final cut.

JLM

"It takes courage, tenacity, endurance, passion, and inner strengh to become a world class athelete and I for one, applaud them."

And what bloody use is it to the world and the people who live on it? Do they build? Do they invent? Do they create? Do they discover? Do they give to the poor? Do they save kittens? What what what bloody good are you because you can fly down a hill on barrel staves faster than the next idiot on barrel staves. They contribute to nothing but the circus specticle that passes too easily in todays fuzzy wuzzy world for accomplishment which itself passes for worth when it is quite plainly more valueless entertainment. Don't expect me to applaud people who throw away courage tenacity endurance passion and inner strengh to become a statistical success. You and I both know that on this planet right now on every continent there are millions of people who display the same virtuous characteristics every day just trying to feed themselves or save there familys. So when will we ever find the time to gaze in awe at those real life accomplishments when these spoiled deluded pups plug the media with the same old tunes and the same tricks. I don't care where they come from it's what they waste that makes the difference. And that is just my opinion, I'm pretty sure it's mine, yes it is. All I can say to them is "break a leg". They all do drugs anyway steroid junkies everyone of them I bet.

Ooooooooh oooooooooh ooooooooh, not quite so fast. For one thing (being in excellent physical shape) possibly cost the public purse about $50,000 less in a life time on medications and operations. They are also consumers buying equipment and eating lots of food, which all creates employment. Some of them also contribute to worthy causes like helping handicapped children. Don't be in too big a rush to sell them short.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

While it was a good subject for ridicule at one time, it's a little late now to be begroaning the Olympics.............what I'm praying for now is a large miracle that they will be a success, & if I have to be wrong once or twice in my life, let this be one of the times. AS far as having an international event in a Canadian city never being a waste of time, we all know that's a crock. Just check out Montreal 1967 and Monteal 1976 for starters.

Yep, Montreal really went into debt over the '76 games....

Walter
The torch is coming through here this week. Yawn. I like watching the objective sports but I dislike all the commnetary.

jjaycee98
Relocation and recovery would mean far less jobs and big salaries for the people employed as Social workers and councillors. Jobs go begging in all sorts of small communities where these folks may actually get their lives back on track and become members of the society of productive citizens.

The Calgary Olympics are still giving value to the City. The Olympic Oval is a great place to take the family skating as well as also having Ice for Hockey and Figure Skating Lessons. The Gymnasium is used constantly both summer & Winter. Cross country skiing, the Ski Jump and the Luge track are all used by ordinary people who enjoy the excersize as well as a place to train for athletes from Canada and abroad.

This is the same old saw...if it does not benefit me personally then no one else should have it either. Yes we have to take care of those who really need our help. We do not need to enable those addicted to laziness and the scam artists that are lining their pockets while giving the appearance of being virtuous.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Sheesh, DB, what in heaven’s name do you think our athletes do once they are past competition age in their sport – drop off the face of the earth. Most of them go on to contribute in all kinds of way to the betterment of Canadian society. Do you know for a fact that they don’t save kittens or contribute to the poor? NO, as a matter of fact you don’t.

I don’t expect you to change your mind and start applauding our Canadian athletes, DB. I am simply standing up and being counted as one who supports and looks forward to the Olympics.

I take nothing away from people around the world struggling to simply put food on the table or a roof over their heads by supporting our Canadian athletes.

And speaking of people in poor countries, there are several organizations who along with helping the poor also promote sports for the simple reason that it gives those poor kids maybe the only real enjoyment they have in their lives. It also teaches them the value of sportsmanship and teamwork. Before you condemn athletes maybe you should go and talk to some of the runners and sprinters (as an example) from third world countries who through sports were able to rise above their circumstances and compete at world level. I am sure they would have a very different take on the Olympics then do you.

Actually, judging by your vehement attitude towards Olympics, one might think that you had once been a competitor but simply failed to make the final cut.

You have missed my point I think, sports is a past time, a hobby, a diversion it is entertainment and it teaches very little about life in a positive useful manner. Sports is best done when the work is over, no sane community engages in a ball game when the crops are in the fields no one but an idiot would play hockey when his roof was leaking. The poeple in poor countries are poor and kept that way because our beloved bankers want to see them kept down for all time while we rape their neighbourhoods. If you want an exercise in team work and ethics build a house dig a well engage in farming build power systems use your god given strength and abilities to make the lives of your fellows physically better but by all means do not teach them to waste time in pursuit of the adulation of the circus. It's a fine thing to sweat while you pile up the hay it's stupid beyond belief to sweat chasing a puck back and forth between plywood walls or shoot a ball into a peach basket.
Our lord Hesus recommends that yea shall earn thy daily bread by the sweat of thy brow, all the wise recommend useful work, play is for children trying to emulate their elders in the performance of useful work. Nobody but a fool would applaud the waste of priceless BTUs. To promote sports and worship of the idle is the surest road to ruin. How many in the world are saved by a career in sports? In the competition that counts I have made the cuts one after the other as all men must do if they are to live sound and productive lives. Chasing balls is for dogs and retards. Give the a child the gift of hammer and nails this christmas watch their little eyes light up with glee, a shovel with a pink handle for the wife or girlfriend. no batteries included

ps; In the combined sport of beer drinking and softball I was judged by my peers as a great competitor.

countryboy

You have missed my point I think, sports is a past time, a hobby, a diversion it is entertainment and it teaches very little about life in a positive useful manner. Sports is best done when the work is over, no sane community engages in a ball game when the crops are in the fields no one but an idiot would play hockey when his roof was leaking. The poeple in poor countries are poor and kept that way because our beloved bankers want to see them kept down for all time while we rape their neighbourhoods. If you want an exercise in team work and ethics build a house dig a well engage in farming build power systems use your god given strength and abilities to make the lives of your fellows physically better but by all means do not teach them to waste time in pursuit of the adulation of the circus. It's a fine thing to sweat while you pile up the hay it's stupid beyond belief to sweat chasing a puck back and forth between plywood walls or shoot a ball into a peach basket.
Our lord Hesus recommends that yea shall earn thy daily bread by the sweat of thy brow, all the wise recommend useful work, play is for children trying to emulate their elders in the performance of useful work. Nobody but a fool would applaud the waste of priceless BTUs. To promote sports and worship of the idle is the surest road to ruin. How many in the world are saved by a career in sports? In the competition that counts I have made the cuts one after the other as all men must do if they are to live sound and productive lives. Chasing balls is for dogs and retards. Give the a child the gift of hammer and nails this christmas watch their little eyes light up with glee, a shovel with a pink handle for the wife or girlfriend. no batteries included

ps; In the combined sport of beer drinking and softball I was judged by my peers as a great competitor.

"Man does not live by bread alone."

Your quote: "...sports is a past time, a hobby, a diversion it is entertainment and it teaches very little about life in a positive useful manner."

Actually, I think sports is a great way to teach (young) people a number of things such as:

- Teamwork - how to get along with others (Important? Look around this Forum)
- Pursuit of goals - How to work hard to achieve something
- Physical fitness - helps maintain better health
- Discipline - attending practises on time
- Humility - how to be gracious in victory and defeat
- Racsim killer - Ability to produce is at the top of the personal scorecard
- Helps to pull the country together - Well, in Canada's case, that is questionable...we seem to be more inclined to focus on our own pet beefs instead of uniting together to support national "efforts" such as the Olympics - many countries do a better job of it)

...and those are just a few of the ways I think sports can teach about life and contribute to the country and its people...

I'm not a diehard sports fan (other than football and curling) but I can see the value of the Olympics and sports in general. I wasn't in favor of it coming to BC, but now that it's here, let's make the best of it.

Go, Canada, Go!

damngrumpy
For the ordinary person paying the bills and interest the Olympics is a very bad deal.
Yes there will be winners, developers, real estate sales people, some very large retailers
and a handful of others. For the rest here is what you can look forward to.
The final bill and all the interest. Then there is increased taxes to pay, cuts in health care and education. After all sick people and children's education is not as
important as Gordon's image, or the making of money for the already rick.
In addition, when the real estate people create new developments in the manner
they are accustomed to, you will pay for the infrastructure improvements and the
upkeep of the new infrastructure, such as schools, arena and roads, sewer systems
and the like. Yes those are municipal taxes but remember there is only one taxpayer.
As if that isn't enough, the bill for the games is much higher than they admit to
so the HST was introduced to suck more money out of your pocketbook.
This whole thing is the biggest hoax ever played on the residents of BC. There was
a time when people thought the fast ferries were bad, well, the games and infrastructure costs surround the event makes the ferries pale in comparison
I suppose you can tell I am opposed to having a romp in the snow for rich people at
my expense.

AnnaG
And in the meantime, while shiploads of money are being spent on the Olys, Campbull and crew continue to make cutbacks in education and healthcare. Politicians are so freakin stupid, it's mind-boggling.

Kakato
My former brother in law boxed in the Munich olympics,he knocked the guy out 3 times and still lost the fight as the judges were crookeder then a dogs back leg.

damngrumpy
AnnaG its not the politicians who are stupid, its us, we keep allowing them to get away with all kinds of things we do nothing about.
Remember the politicians get paid regardless. We go to the polls and say well
I have always voted Liberal, Conservative or NDP or whatever and the others may
be bad for us. Well what we have in many cases is bad for us, so just once maybe
we should listen to them all before we put our trust in old behaviors.

TenPenny

sports...it teaches very little about life in a positive useful manner

I would have to suggest that you've never had anything to do with kids who have been part of a team sport.

damngrumpy
tenpenny you are wrong, I have 7 children and now 23 grandchildren many of them
actively involved in sport and when I am in their town, I attend their games. Years ago I played basketball, hockey, football, volleyball and track and field even participating on a couple of championship teams. This isn't about children or sport,
this is about lies, con games, over expenditures, and bending the laws to accommodate the Olympic Committee and the agenda of a government that has
little integrity and no respect for it own people. the Olympics, its no longer about
sport and maybe never has been. Its about money, greed and politics at the
expense of the citizens that host it. The Mayor of Montreal said the games could no
more lose money than a man could have a baby and it too Canadians more than
forty years to pay for it. If it were about sport, and the principals of integrity I would
support it, but its about how dishonest you can be and get away with it, therefore
I do not. I have a lot of interaction with children, and I am trying to teach them to
be way above what our society is offering for a role model for these games,
unfortunately some people do not see the muck at the bottom of the pond.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I would have to suggest that you've never had anything to do with kids who have been part of a team sport.

You would be wrong. There is nothing wrong with sport. When it becomes business the sportsmanship and the leadership become something else in many cases not healthy at all. We can all watch an entire team of millionaires compete with another team of millionaires. Isn't there something wrong in that message?

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

tenpenny you are wrong, I have 7 children and now 23 grandchildren many of them
actively involved in sport and when I am in their town, I attend their games. Years ago I played basketball, hockey, football, volleyball and track and field even participating on a couple of championship teams. This isn't about children or sport,
this is about lies, con games, over expenditures, and bending the laws to accommodate the Olympic Committee and the agenda of a government that has
little integrity and no respect for it own people. the Olympics, its no longer about
sport and maybe never has been. Its about money, greed and politics at the
expense of the citizens that host it. The Mayor of Montreal said the games could no
more lose money than a man could have a baby and it too Canadians more than
forty years to pay for it. If it were about sport, and the principals of integrity I would
support it, but its about how dishonest you can be and get away with it, therefore
I do not. I have a lot of interaction with children, and I am trying to teach them to
be way above what our society is offering for a role model for these games,
unfortunately some people do not see the muck at the bottom of the pond.

I agree. It just isn't about sport or team effort at that level. It's about stokein the star makin machinery and stuffing the bank accounts of people who never shot a puck and wouldn't touch a soft ball.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The torch is coming through here this week. Yawn. I like watching the objective sports but I dislike all the commnetary.

Someone should run up to it and light a big joint.

GreenFish66
Comedy Central Official Site - Your Source for Comedians, Funny Video, TV Shows, Games, Jokes, & Ringtones | Comedy Central

To (Ombudsman!) Stephen Colbert ( although he turned down the Ombusman offer ..Too Canadian, I guess) or Who ever else wants to read this ..

I think Colbert Nation sponsoring The American Olympic team is a great Idea.I say ,down with the Colbert neigh sayers and Critics..You have a great show Mr. Colbert ..I watch all the time from here in Canada Eh. .....Yes ..I am Canadian .Rumour around here has it your enterin' some speed bladers in the World comp eh.... Bin talkin up your American skating team so much, all the hot airs bin meltin the ice caps, and floodin the papers,all the way up by the North Pole Eh....

Anyway ...

As 1 Canadian, speaking for Canadians, on behalf of Canada .Let me Welcome you ,Ombudsmen Colbert and America's "Colbert Nation" to Vancouver and Canada's, 2010 World Olympics

...Unfortunately ,I hate to be the one to inform you that there is only 2nd and third place medals left.. Canada has Already claimed the 1st place ,Gold medals ...

All the best to you and Yours in the future..

Your friendly neighbours and trusted Allies

1 Canadian ,speaking for Canadians ,on behalf of Canada..

B.GreenFish 66

P.S...(We are home to the 2010 Oylmpics this year ....We own the Oympics this year .....As the host we wish you all the best ..Hope you enjoy your stay in Canada..
Peace...( here's your half Ombusman Colbert!....Number #1 ..All the way to the gold and beyond ! .. lol
Last edited by GreenFish66; Dec 17th, 2009 at 02:31 PM..

damngrumpy
The bloody thing is a giant waste of money and we are going to pay for decades while the Realtors, and assorted scam artists fill their pockets. This could be a games
of memory because every fool protesting anything will be on the streets, people are
slowly catching on and more and more are changing their mind about the games.
We are going to be another 2 billion plus after its all over,

JRZJRZ
And why Vancouver? One of the warmest places for the winter olympics. I mean they have been battleing the weather since day one. Doesn't the IOC look at these things before they decide the venue? Or is it just more polotics?

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by JRZJRZ View Post

And why Vancouver? One of the warmest places for the winter olympics. I mean they have been battleing the weather since day one. Doesn't the IOC look at these things before they decide the venue? Or is it just more polotics?

Well the outdoor events are inland and in the mountains where it is normally colder...

JLM

I pointed that little fact out to our illustrious Premier 7 years ago but he knows a lot more than I do.

talloola

If you would have done some research, you would have found
that this winter has been extremely warm, which is not
normal for us, a record I believe.

Nothing is wrong with the olympics, it is going just fine,
just ask the athletes, they are very happy with the
conditions, and no one can control the weather. The
people who have been visiting and walking around the
city have been having excellent conditions, we were
there Monday, it was beautiful and sunny in the city.b

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

The bloody thing is a giant waste of money and we are going to pay for decades while the Realtors, and assorted scam artists fill their pockets. This could be a games
of memory because every fool protesting anything will be on the streets, people are
slowly catching on and more and more are changing their mind about the games.
We are going to be another 2 billion plus after its all over,

yes we will, but if everyone had of done some protesting
in a big way before the beginning, instead of waiting till
all the planning was done, and they would not turn back,
perhaps we could have stopped it. When the public wanted
to vote on it, it was way too late, but that is the way
the public operate, and it is just what the government
knows, so they go about doing their planning and confirm
things, then the public start grumbling, but still not
enough, till the games are almost here, then the screaming
starts.
I'll bet if one was to research many other cities, 'not'
beijing, they would find very similar situations, but
governments move forward early, knowing they will get
their foot in the door, sign on the bottom line, and
the public can't stop it then.
Maybe we should be studying what they are planning next,
right now.

Curiosity
From what I viewed this past week and a half so far....

B.C. has set the bar so high for a memorable Olympic site and it will be a long time in replication by another city in another host nation.

Even the weather was outstanding.... I have never witnessed such a beautiful and well run Games....

It also creates great tourism for Canada as the rest of the world watched what was created over the past year or more....

talloola
And we had a great day in vancouver on Monday, it was sunny, mild and so beautiful, I've always loved that city,
have known it well since I was a child.
Many sundays in stanley park, or english bay, or one of
the other beaches in the city.
Many shopping trips with my mom for years and years, such
great memories for me.
And now to see how they have decorated that city from tip
to toe, and robson square alive with entertainment, it
was a great day for us on Monday, will never forget it.

Curiosity
Talloola - you reminded me of my kid years....

When I was younger my older sisters would take the bus, dragging me along, and get out at Granville and Georgia and walk all the way to Stanley Park and English Bay....I loved those days....even being "stuck" with my dopey sisters didn't seem
too bad on those outings.

Vancouver put on her best outfits and weather for the past couple of weeks, and
opened up all kinds of memories for me.

You are so lucky you could make the trip.... I always loved going to the island too... curio

#juan

You would be wrong. There is nothing wrong with sport. When it becomes business the sportsmanship and the leadership become something else in many cases not healthy at all. We can all watch an entire team of millionaires compete with another team of millionaires. Isn't there something wrong in that message?

What message? "Be a really excellent hockey player and you can be a millionaire."
You could as easily insert, soccer player, football player, baseball player, tennis player etc. Take your choice. What is your point?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

Talloola - you reminded me of my kid years....

When I was younger my older sisters would take the bus, dragging me along, and get out at Granville and Georgia and walk all the way to Stanley Park and English Bay....I loved those days....even being "stuck" with my dopey sisters didn't seem
too bad on those outings.

Vancouver put on her best outfits and weather for the past couple of weeks, and
opened up all kinds of memories for me.

You are so lucky you could make the trip.... I always loved going to the island too... curio

When I was a kid living up north, my family used to travel down to Vancouver where we eventually lived, for a long weekend. There were two places I thought were magical. One was the House Of Pancakes and the other was the "Foot Long Hot Dog" place. The hot dog place was on Georgia, not far from Stanley Park, I think the IHOP was out on Kingsway somewhere.

Curiosity
Hahah Juan

Just like a guy to remember the food places!

I hate to admit it but my favs were all the greasy gag stuff they sold at the little restaurants at the beaches.... it's amazing we all lived through it....
At least your places were "quality" ones!!

I remember my "classy" nites were if any of us could snag a car for a few hours we'd all go to the White Spot - best hamburgers ever ever.....

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

Hahah Juan

Just like a guy to remember the food places!

I hate to admit it but my favs were all the greasy gag stuff they sold at the little restaurants at the beaches.... it's amazing we all lived through it....
At least your places were "quality" ones!!

I remember my "classy" nites were if any of us could snag a car for a few hours we'd all go to the White Spot - best hamburgers ever ever.....

I wonder if Nat Bailey would approve of what his White Spot restaurants have become. The White Spots are now a bit of an up market restaurant chain. Dinner on Friday night will likely need a reservation.