Anyone here interested in astronomy?

#juan
Anyone here into astronomy? My son and I have been amateur astronomers for about thirty years. Next weekend I'm helping him set up his new telescope and observatory. He has just bought a Meade 12" schmidt cass reflector and he is building an observatory in his back yard, complete with the motorized dome.....just like Mount Palomar.... I will post pictures of the observatory when it is finished.
I have a Meade 7" reflector that I use for viewing whenever we get some clear damn sky.

hermanntrude
I would die for a decent telescope. When i was younger I asked for an 8" dobsonian for a birthday present. at the last moment i changed my mind and decided for a computer instead. I still can't afford a telescope now. One day, though, one day

#juan
Here are a few shots of the planets taken in Vancouver from my son's back yard with a CCD camera and a pretty good 4" refractor.

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

hermanntrude
you're making me jealous.

#juan
Here's a picture of our moon, same camera and telescope

hermanntrude
arrrgh :'(

Kreskin
Those are amazing photos #juan.

#juan
Hey Herm,

Around twenty five years ago I bought my son a 2" refractor for about a $150.00, that we made do with for almost ten years. The optics were not bad....we could see the four main moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn. Once my house was paid off, we could afford better toys. I can't wait to see how the new telescope performs.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Those are amazing photos #juan.

They are actually pretty good. I'm amazed that Messier, the guy who catalogued all the Messier objects actually used a smaller telescope in the seventeen hundreds. He must have had eyes like an owl.

http://cometman.com/messier.html

hermanntrude
yeah I had a 90mm refractor and used it till it fell apart. I saw a lot of good stuff but I want to see M51 and some of the fainter objects. When I next get the chanc to make a large purchase, an 8 or 10" reflector would be my dream

Libra Girl
They are indeed amazing photos yuan.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

yeah I had a 90mm refractor and used it till it fell apart. I saw a lot of good stuff but I want to see M51 and some of the fainter objects. When I next get the chanc to make a large purchase, an 8 or 10" reflector would be my dream

M-51 you say:

hermanntrude
waaaaaaaah :''0(

able
Juan: I have a 40-200x 2" telescope, has its own tripod, but seems like a toy. Was looking at the bright side of the moon and noticed my eye was burning. Obviously I know nothing about astronomy, but the idea of the motorised observatory piqued my curiosity. That made me think of a freind who has a 10" and a short commitment span. What would be a good price for his?

Zan
Juan, those pics are amazing! Look forward to seeing more as you get them..

Pangloss
juan - those pictures are trippy as hell. How do you deal with the light pollution in Vancouver - also the air is pretty humid, therefore kinda smudgy - do you go up Seymour or Cypress or something?

Pangloss

MHz
Do sidewalk telescopes come any bigger than 17"?

Don't suppose you could point one of those things at the area of the moon when the 'stuff they left behind' would be casting a long shadow?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by able View Post

Juan: I have a 40-200x 2" telescope, has its own tripod, but seems like a toy. Was looking at the bright side of the moon and noticed my eye was burning. Obviously I know nothing about astronomy, but the idea of the motorised observatory piqued my curiosity. That made me think of a freind who has a 10" and a short commitment span. What would be a good price for his?

Hi able

I don't know what the "40x200" means. Is there an f number or a focal length anywhere on that telescope?
You will feel a bit of warmth from the moon....remember you are concentrating the light from many square miles of hot surface into a tiny circle. This is not dangerous looking at the moon, just don't look at the sun.
Do you have a make and model number for your friend's 10" telescope?

#juan
Hi Zan, Hi Pangloss

I can't wait for those pictures either.

The light polution will always be there and it won't likely get better any time soon. What has really helped astrophotography is the digital camera. Long exposures are pretty much a thing of the past, and thank God. All of these pictures were taken from my son's backyard in Vancouver, overlooking the freeway
It helps to put the telescope out for an hour or two so it will stabilize after the change in temperature from inside to out.

able
40-200 is the magnification (as near as I know), as to his model, I was hoping you could give me a ball park figure (his is red) if that means anything. I'm from south western Ontario, so definitely have Vancouver beat for clear skies, also no nearby cities. I'm a night owl, and it would be time better spent in a motorised observatory. It doesn't take long for the internet to get on my nerves, but this forum beats the hell out of the one I left.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Do sidewalk telescopes come any bigger than 17"?

Don't suppose you could point one of those things at the area of the moon when the 'stuff they left behind' would be casting a long shadow?

I know what you are saying, unfortunately, you could have the biggest telescope on Earth and you still wouldn't be able to see any of that stuff. We are just too far away.

s_lone
I HIGHLY recommend this space simulation software to anyone who is interested in astronomy. It's kind of like Google Earth but in space. Very cool! It's free and expandable. CHECK IT OUT! Trust me, this is NOT spamming.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

#juan

40-200 is the magnification (as near as I know), as to his model, I was hoping you could give me a ball park figure (his is red) if that means anything. I'm from south western Ontario, so definitely have Vancouver beat for clear skies, also no nearby cities. I'm a night owl, and it would be time better spent in a motorised observatory. It doesn't take long for the internet to get on my nerves, but this forum beats the hell out of the one I left.

I will assume your friend's telescope is a Celestron. Celestron used to make a 10" schmitt cass on a fork mount with a computerized motor drive for about twenty eight hundred dollars. Have a look at the link and see if you can see anything that looks like your friend's telescope.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/telescopes.html

able
Haven't seen the thing in some time, but it does look like the pricey models. Will have to see his in order to form a better opinion. Presently trying to finish my plane, but know I won't be doing much night flying. Guess the scopes aren't that expensive if I compare them to my plane.

#juan

Haven't seen the thing in some time, but it does look like the pricey models. Will have to see his in order to form a better opinion. Presently trying to finish my plane, but know I won't be doing much night flying. Guess the scopes aren't that expensive if I compare them to my plane.

You are building a plane? Is it a well-known plane? Is it a kit or your own design?

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

I HIGHLY recommend this space simulation software to anyone who is interested in astronomy. It's kind of like Google Earth but in space. Very cool! It's free and expandable. CHECK IT OUT! Trust me, this is NOT spamming.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Okay, I trusted you, and you were right. Dood, that is so cool! I may have to add astronomy to my hobbies and get a good 10" reflecting scope... It's a 14Mb download, so folks on dialup may have some issues, but the man's right. Get it now.

able
Juan: the plane I'm building is called an Affordaplane, no kits as far as I know, but the plans come from Bradenton Florida. The original plans are too much like spit and baling wire for me, so I made a number of mods:- reinforced wings, fuselage, enclosed cockpit, tricycle gear, 3 bladed prop, and I doubt if I'm done making changes yet. People who have theirs in the air say they handle like a Cessna 150. Used to think the 150 was like flying a bathtub, now that I'm older that's more my style. Has a low stall speed as well. That's important, remember one time when having some hangar talk, and one of the guys thoughtfully said he figured he could get a DC9 down, and I said we can all get a DC9 down, only how many pieces will it be in when everything stops rolling.

#juan

Juan: the plane I'm building is called an Affordaplane, no kits as far as I know, but the plans come from Bradenton Florida. The original plans are too much like spit and baling wire for me, so I made a number of mods:- reinforced wings, fuselage, enclosed cockpit, tricycle gear, 3 bladed prop, and I doubt if I'm done making changes yet. People who have theirs in the air say they handle like a Cessna 150. Used to think the 150 was like flying a bathtub, now that I'm older that's more my style. Has a low stall speed as well. That's important, remember one time when having some hangar talk, and one of the guys thoughtfully said he figured he could get a DC9 down, and I said we can all get a DC9 down, only how many pieces will it be in when everything stops rolling.

I have a friend who built a VariEze, a Burt Rutan design made completely of fibreglass. My friend second guessed the designer so many times that he added almost a hundred pounds to the design weight. When it was finished.......when he stopped adding stuff to it......it never performed up to specifications. Up to that time I thought the VariEze was the best thing since sliced bread but I don't think I will be building one. If I had a dream airplane, it would probably be the latest Mooney, but that would require me to win the lottery.

able
Heard of the varieze, don't know anyone who built. Wouldn't try to change Rutan's designs, they usually look unflyable to me to begin with. Pulsar would have been my choice years ago, but now, have the idea that if I want to watch an animal climb a tree, I can fly in leisurly circles to watch, without concerning myself with fighter plane characteristics. Never change things too much, just enough to feel a little more confident.

El Barto
thought this might be interesting
http://www.unmuseum.org/siriusb.htm