Death Penalty

View Poll Results: Choose:
In certain, rare circumstance, I believe the death penalty SHOULD be an option 14 56.00%
I think in absolutely NO circumstances, whatsoever the death penalty should be an option 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

westmanguy
This to me was sparked by the Pickton trial. It makes me ponder the issue.

This Pickton man who slaughtered 50 people, does he deserve to live?
I don't know, see this is a tough line to cross. Does gov. have the right to take life?

Quite frankly, my anger speaking about this man, I think he should be put to death. He is dispicable.

To me its the degree and frequency of the murder that makes me wonder if they deserve death or not.

Its not allowed in Canada now, but our neighbours south do it.

I don't know, to me:

Eye for an eye is wrong. It sounds ok to say: You murder, we murder you.

So does that logic apply to: You rape, we rape you. You steal, we steal from you. We are supposed to take the high road.

Religious people are sort of split on this too. The pope and other religious figures say death penalty is wrong. Other religious figures say its acceptable.

Now, to me I believe if someone can be locked up away from the public, in high security, for life, thats fine. But if they are high risk, and are part of a huge crime org. or have been responsible for thousands of death, my thoughts on it change.

I was happy Saddam was killed. But someone who murders once who is killed, I think its wrong...

What do you think. I'll try to make the poll correct. For now, I choose: In Certain rare circumstances, death penalty can be used.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
People that know it's wrong to murder and commit multiple murders anyway are hardly likely to rehabilitate. Turn their power and plumbing off. The rest should get prison work, but not lounging around playing billiards, watching tv, etc.

westmanguy
Wow, we are alike, I completely agree.

If they can be rehabilated, fine. But if they are locked up for most of their lives, or have a high repeat rate. Do not treat them like hotel guests.

Take all forms of media away. And have them do work during the day. Not being inhumane, but media is privilege, you lost that privilege when you did that crime. And since they are costing the gov. $$ so much per year to lock them up, they should reform prisons in to types of factories, where they can make furniture, or whatever, and pay back some of what the gov. pays to lock them up.

Tonington
The details of the crime definitely speak volumes about the convicted. Crime of passion, hey that can happen to any of us. The senseless violence of a person obviously lacking in rational thought on the other hand...well I think they gave up their rights to humane treatment and sympathy.

Ariadne
Unfortunately, the death penalty is an all or nothing deal. If Canada had the death penalty for rare cases, someone would have to decide when those rare cases occur. Over time, Canada would become like the US, deciding whether mentally ill people or bad children should be killed because they committed murder. It's a slippery slope. Civilized countries don't punish people with death. Iraq punishes with death. Europe doesn't.

I think Bernardo would be happier if he could die rather than spend the rest of his useless life in solitary confinement. In my opinion, he will suffer a lot longer; a worse suffering, by living very long. Do Canadians want to be like the Iraqis or Europeans when it comes to human rights?

Sparrow
I think the US have the right idea, I heard that in the south they have brought back the chain gang. I would reserve it for the worst criminals and murders. It would be a good way to improve our roads.

hermanntrude
I think a very good reason for not having the death penalty is the possibility of wrongful conviction. I'm pretty sure it's happened at least once.

tamarin
Conservative
Civilized nations don't warehouse committed killers. I do not want my tax dollars supporting serial killers and, for that matter, incorrigible career criminals. I don't know how we got so touchy feely about the rights of those who refuse to respect them in others. I'm all for capital punishment and extending it. With safeguards, common sense and resolve.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarin View Post

Civilized nations don't warehouse committed killers. I do not want my tax dollars supporting serial killers and, for that matter, incorrigible career criminals. I don't know how we got so touchy feely about the rights of those who refuse to respect them in others. I'm all for capital punishment and extending it. With safeguards, common sense and resolve.

and yet under your system, no matter how careful the system is, innocent people will die.

hermanntrude
i'd rather my taxes went to keeping killers alive but off the streets, than into killing people

tamarin
Conservative
And warehousing won't lead to the murder of innocents? Allan Legere is but one of many outrageous examples.

hermanntrude
good point. But i sure as hell dont want the blood on MY hands

tamarin
Conservative
Herman, you can step back. No problem. There are all sorts of individuals who will step in. Hey, don't leave me out!
I'm not a sadist. I'm a realist. I want the punishment to fit the crime and I want safe communities.

hermanntrude
but do you think teaching "an eye for an eye" is a good lesson? instead of love thine enemy? And if i pay taxes and my taxes are used for killing people dont i hold some of the responsibility for the deaths?

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

I think a very good reason for not having the death penalty is the possibility of wrongful conviction. I'm pretty sure it's happened at least once.

You're quite right. There are several cases in Canada of wrongful conviction. Guy Paul Morin is one that comes to mind. He was eventually cleared but others spent 23 years in jail for murder while being completely innocent - just wrong place, wrong time, a bit of hippy drug use and no reputation to speak of.

Ariadne

Herman, you can step back. No problem. There are all sorts of individuals who will step in. Hey, don't leave me out!
I'm not a sadist. I'm a realist. I want the punishment to fit the crime and I want safe communities.

How does it fit the crime to murder someone that murdered someone else?

Ariadne
Scott Peterson is on death row. He had an affair, lied and thought that he could get rid of his wife and get away with murder. It didn't work ... but to murder him too? That isn't how it works in Canada and it isn't how it should work. Guys like that are bad guys ... like the recent case in Edmonton ... but who wants that blood on their hands. I say let him rot in jail and think about the life he threw away ... forever and ever.

tamarin
Conservative
You're playing fast and loose with the term 'murder' there. It is a state's obligation to ensure it meets its first and most important purpose: the safety and security of its citizens. And what's a citizen? Foremost, one who commits to a nation's laws.

hermanntrude
is a prisoner a citizen? i'm not sure but i'd guess at yes. And the citizens are just as safe if a criminal is locked up as if they're dead. the difference is no-one's been killed.

Fingertrouble

I'm all for capital punishment and extending it. With safeguards, common sense and resolve.

While I too would like to see certain sadistic individuals suffer the same fate as their victims, I too also am concerned about the possibility of putting an "innocent" to death. One innocent would be one too many.

I respect those individuals who believe in an eye for an eye, even if I may have reservations myself. But for those who say the death penalty acts as a deterrent to certain crimes, I would say it is time to use a different arguement as most states in the US have capital punishment and it certainly doesn't appear to deter violent crimes in their country..........

RomSpaceKnight
If always liked the idea of penal colonies. Gotta be some frozen sh!t hole in the far north we can strand them in.

hermanntrude
i've always liked the idea of a decent educational system (parents, environment, media and schools), which teaches kindness empathy and value for human life so that crime rates become virtually nil.

Bit of a long shot i suppose... sigh

Fingertrouble
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnight View Post

If always liked the idea of penal colonies. Gotta be some frozen sh!t hole in the far north we can strand them in.

What a great idea....we can have a few guards, just enough to take care of the sovereigty issue. We wont even have to erect fences, because if the prisoners decide to up and leave their nice warm billet were the get fed, then they will be come dinner for the polar bears looking to replace their foodsource due to climate change and the melting icecaps!

Sounds like a win win to me!

look3467
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post

Unfortunately, the death penalty is an all or nothing deal. If Canada had the death penalty for rare cases, someone would have to decide when those rare cases occur. Over time, Canada would become like the US, deciding whether mentally ill people or bad children should be killed because they committed murder. It's a slippery slope. Civilized countries don't punish people with death. Iraq punishes with death. Europe doesn't.

I think Bernardo would be happier if he could die rather than spend the rest of his useless life in solitary confinement. In my opinion, he will suffer a lot longer; a worse suffering, by living very long. Do Canadians want to be like the Iraqis or Europeans when it comes to human rights?

The death penalty is left up to society to decide. God says, don't kill. But that saying has to do with malice in one's heart.
To kill out of justice has no malice.
Justice is in the law of the land, the people.

I used to have a boss, who like to say as a matter of greeting: "What do you allow?".

So, it is a matter of what does society want to allow?

If justice is not met, than evil will run a muck!

Peace>>>AJ

Alexander
I think people should be punished depending on what they did. A human life is a delicate, rare, and one of a kind thing. If a murderer killed someone and they just get a slap on the wrist, it makes it seem like another blow to the family that their lost ones life wasnt worth anything. The only way to repay murder is by death. It will stop a lot of crime if people know they will get killed for killing someone else.

As for rape, if someone is driven enough to rape an innocent person, I think he should be neutered. Yes, I know it sounds cruel, and there is no way I would ever want that to happen to me but I don't want to get raped either. I don't know how to punish a woman for rape. How many women rape people anyways?

If someone is to steal, then take the cost of whatever was stolen, double it, and have that stripped from their possessions by the company they stole from (or person).

I think jail is one of the stupidest punishments. In the past it wasn't so bad but now we give them a bed, free meals, tv, and other things... I think they should be fed crappy food in an empty jail cell (well, give them a toilet...) instead of being in what some homeless people would call 'luxery'.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
It's all well and fine to mumble about wrongful convictions and mentally incapable people, but the special cases I had in mind were people that knew better, did it several times and unless caught would continue. Get it? People like Pickton, Olson, etc. There's no, nada, zip, zilch doubt about innocence or guilt, and they are definitely not mentally incapable of rational thought.
Um, no logical reason not to put them outta everyone's misery. To keep them at a cost of $85,000+ per year is an asinine insult to the public.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 8th, 2007 at 01:50 AM..

Colpy
Conservative
Execution should be extremely rare......for serial killers only.

My big problem with the death penalty is the chance of error.......

So, here's the proposition.

If a serial killer is charged, and has done multiple killings at different times and places, try him for one killing at a time, maximum three trials..........each trial should be held in front of a different judge and jury, each should be for a completely separate episode..........on his third consecutive conviction, take him outside and shoot him. Period.

Dalreg
I figure if you are convicted of mass murder, say more than two people the death penalty should be imposed.

MikeyDB
Canadian society frowns at the notion of self-determined euthanasia, and yet if a dog bites someone more often than not that animal is executed. This society endorses putting an animal down if its lame or believed to be ill beyond recovery. This same society is prepared to allow government to squander the future of our children in the name of preserving "prosperity" by playing silly games around global warming. Governments collect millions from the sale of tobbacco products and then demonize tobacco users. Innocent people have served lengthy prison terms some only being cleared as the result of DNA testing. James Rosko a known sociopath having provided police multiple opportunities to put him away takes the lives of four police officers and Anne McLellan and Guliano Zachardelli lied through their teeth about what happend...just like Stockwell Day and Zachardelli lied about Maher Arar....

In this "just" system why anyone bothers giving any thought to keeping a piece of human waste like Pickton alive under the aegis of protecting the innocent from wrongful conviction and execution is perfectly typical....

temperance
I cant understand why Mr pig is still alive ,hes a arrogant murder er and seems not to realize the extent of his damage ,why must we waste money time and thought on such a person ,Death penalty and or banishment from clan has been around for along time and has its place ,but I would really need to see the system straightening up on who would be eligible for death ,Id hate for a wrongly accused person to die