Alternatives continue to bury Texas coal-powered plants

mentalfloss
Texas is silicon valley, right?

Alternatives continue to bury Texas coal-powered plants

AUSTIN, Texas — Although EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt said this week that with the planned roll back of the 2015 Clean Power Plan, “the war on coal is over,” casualties continue.

And word that yet another coal-burning Texas power plant will soon retire from service is a reminder that losses will keep mounting.

“It doesn’t mean that the Texas coal plants are going to be saved,” said Chrissy Mann, senior campaign representative for the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign, responding to Pruitt’s remarks. “Coal is not going to be around forever. It’s not even going to be around long.”

Monticello will be the nation’s 259th coal plant to retire or announce retirement since 2010, “meaning the U.S. is just three plants away from retiring or announcing to retire, half of the coal plants that were operating just seven years ago,” according to a Sierra Club statement.

The U.S. Department of Energy’s staff reported in August that, “Coal energy production peaked in 2007 and has been declining since.

“No new coal plants have been built for domestic utility electricity production since 2014 because new coal plants are more expensive to build and operate than natural gas-fired plants.”

In a Utility Dive blog post, energy consultant Alison Silverstein said that “most of the plants that have retired were old, smaller, inefficient, and high-cost,” lacking “the flexibility and cost profiles to compete in a fast-moving grid.

“Renewable generation was an exacerbating factor, but in most cases not a causal factor behind power plant retirements ... In many cases, the plants that retired were already less economically competitive and were being dispatched ... before ... they would have to make new regulatory compliance investments.”

Alternatives continue to bury Texas coal-powered plants | News | register-herald.com

Walter
+2
TX uses a lot of LNG and won't run out of power soon. They drive lots of big pick-ups and SUV's in TX to make up any carbon deficit.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Don't matter, China is still building coal plants so the market is still good. The coal mine near Campbell River has just reopened after a two year closure. Maybe more coal fired plants should close so more coal mines can open up.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
I wonder if this has anything to do with the massive amounts of natural gas that Texas has in it's back yard.

.... Hmmmmm, I wonder

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
Ummm, when did natgas become a clean alternative? Once again, f*cktards with no science education at all making idiotic statements.
If the concept is to reduce CO2, then how does replacing CO2 with an even more potent GHG emitter help the cause?
Idiots like you have been somehow convinced that less particulate means fewer GHG's.
Of course, then there's the trillions of liters of fresh water that are lost every year due to fracking. Yep, that's quite the alternative energy source there, bud. More GHG's and the desolation of our fresh water supplies, f*cking brilliant. But then neo-libtard proggies seem to have a fascination for enacting destructive policies that help no-one except themselves and their cronies.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
... And exactly when did CO2 become verbotten in any kind of realistic sense?... Oh, that's right, Gore and Suzuki told ya so.

You wanna buy into the fantasy, by all means, have another generous helping of kool-aid, but considering that we are all carbon based life forms, I think that I'll pass on the fantasy

Talk about fukktards

mentalfloss
Poor Trumptards in denial.

Wind energy continues to squeeze coal
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060063283

Walter
+1
Lone Star State Set An All-Time High For Oil Production In 2018
https://www.dailywire.com/news/43449...gh-josh-hammer

MAGA

petros
+1
Hoid told me that would never happen nor would it hoist GDP beyond the statistical 2.2% growth.

And just because...

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Poor Trumptards in denial.
Wind energy continues to squeeze coal
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060063283

Enjoy the crazy carbon tax on coal based graphene electric car batteries!

Hoid
Have literally never spoken a word to you about coal.

Hoid
https://www.latimes.com/world/europe...126-story.html

following its plan to shut all nuke plants Germany decides to shut all coal powered generating plants by 2038

they will use alternative energy.

because its possible.

pgs
Free Thinker
+3
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

https://www.latimes.com/world/europe...126-story.html

following its plan to shut all nuke plants Germany decides to shut all coal powered generating plants by 2038

they will use alternative energy.

because its possible.

So they revised their date further into the future when different politicians can take the heat .

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

So they revised their date further into the future when different politicians can take the heat .

2038! This is where I roll on the floor laughing.

I didn't know the earth had that much time.

*snicker*

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

2038! This is where I roll on the floor laughing.

I didn't know the earth had that much time.

*snicker*

Yes only 12 short years left .

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Not if everybody starves and freezes to death first

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I wonder if this has anything to do with the massive amounts of natural gas that Texas has in it's back yard.

.... Hmmmmm, I wonder

Would make more sense if Texas didn't also have a shit locker full of coal. And oil.