The UK is PISSED About US Bombardier Tariff


mentalfloss
#1
Crotchety Theresa May wakes up for a brief moment.


UK government threatens retaliation against Boeing in Bombardier tariff row - as it happened

The day has been dominated by the ructions following the US decision to slap 219% tariffs on Bombardier, the result of a dispute with rival Boeing. Here’s our latest report:

The government has warned aircraft manufacturer Boeing it could lose UK defence contracts over its part in a US decision to slap punitive tariffs of 219% on rival Bombardier, in a dispute that threatens to sour trade relations between London and Washington.

Theresa May said she was “bitterly disappointed” by the move to impose a tariff on sales of Bombardier’s C-Series passenger jet, which threatens at least 1,000 manufacturing jobs in Northern Ireland.

Michael Fallon, the UK defence secretary, stepped up the government’s rhetoric, warning that Boeing’s assault on Bombardier “could jeopardise” its chances of securing government contracts.

The business secretary, Greg Clark, joined the chorus of disapproval, branding the ruling “unjustified” and vowing to work with Canada - where Bombardier is based - to get it overturned.

The backlash follows an interim decision by the US Department of Commerce, which agreed with Boeing’s case that Bombardier received unfair, anti-competitive state support from the Quebec regional government, including a £740m bailout. Bombardier, which has also received £113m in repayable funding from the UK government, called the decision “absurd and divorced from the reality about the financing of multibillion-dollar aircraft programmes”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live
 
MHz
#2
Puts some guns on it and look for exports in other places to increase. The UN must be ready to retire their fleet that was flying the same iron when Haiti shook itself to pieces.Their motto is, 'Have Contraband, Can Travel'
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#3
I wonder how many people would 'grate' if the whole world boycotted US goods and focused on home (or friendly) industry
 
MHz
#4
That could happen sooner rather than later. International naval blockade based on excessive busy body activities.
 
mentalfloss
#5
The US has gone full leftard.


US move against Bombardier risks reprisals
https://www.ft.com/content/bfdb3f24-...f-7f5e6a7c98a2
 
White_Unifier
#6
Canada was wrong to subsidize Bombardier. However, the best thing the US could have done under the circumstances was to just ignore it and let the market handle it. That said, however wrong the US was in reacting to Canada's subsidies, we can't deny that Canada did provoke it.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#7
What would Sweden do?

Does anyone have a clue how much Bombardier is subsidized ... or is Uncle Sam just trying to wipe out more competition with propaganda?
Last edited by lone wolf; Sep 27th, 2017 at 04:55 PM..
 
White_Unifier
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

What would Sweden do?

Does anyone have a clue how much Bombardier is subsidized ... or is Uncle Sam just trying to wipe out more competition with propaganda?

I'm not sure what Sweden would do. However, Sweden tends to subsidize businesses more indirectly by generously funding trades and professional training for the unemployed. Besides that though, Sweden very much supports free trade.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Canada was wrong to subsidize Bombardier. However, the best thing the US could have done under the circumstances was to just ignore it and let the market handle it. That said, however wrong the US was in reacting to Canada's subsidies, we can't deny that Canada did provoke it.

Boeing has been subsidized too........ but no one is saying that .


They made this into a crazy issue now...... It is a strong-arm tactic. and overkill .

Yes Canada can be critiqued , no question there.......but THIS KILLER amount has the toe print of Trump all over it. His version of shock and ??? There is nothing to AWE about this . This might be their way of "art of the dealing"........ and then allow themselves some rom to go down.... if potential repercussions arise. Or ???
 
White_Unifier
#10
What Canada should do just is send Washington the message that, inasmuch as Canada benefits from US trade, Canada can still survive without it if it must. Perhaps the best way to send that message would be for Canada to start major trade negotiations with CANZUC countries, other Commonwealth and former Commonwealth countries including Hong Kong, and Francophonie countries at the same time as it renegotiates NAFTA.

That said, Canada has to be reasonable too by agreeing to not unjustly subsidize our industries, opening trade to cultural and agricultural industries, etc. too. Again, Canada is at least partly at fault for all of this mess.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Canada was wrong to subsidize Bombardier. However, the best thing the US could have done under the circumstances was to just ignore it and let the market handle it. That said, however wrong the US was in reacting to Canada's subsidies, we can't deny that Canada did provoke it.

No we weren't. Total rubbish. We did nothing wrong nor nothing that other countries with aerospace industries do.

found this in a 2 year old copy of the Washington Post.

"In late 2013, Washington state made history.
On a mid-November Monday, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) signed into law the largest corporate tax break in any state’s history, with an estimated lifetime value of $8.7 billion. The package was the result of a special three-day session Inslee called in order to entice Boeing to build its 777X plane in the state. Boeing didn’t just score big that day. The aerospace giant has received more state and local subsidy dollars than any other corporation in America, according to newly released data compiled by Good Jobs First, a policy resource center on subsidy data.
The state subsidy data was released Tuesday in conjunction with similar federal data and a matching report—”Uncle Sam’s Favorite Corporations”—which reviews the grants, loans and other subsidies distributed by the federal government since 2000. Over the course of those 15 years, the federal government has distributed $68 billion in grants and special tax credits to businesses, with two thirds of that transferred to large corporations. Six companies have received $1 billion or more, while 21 have received $500 million or more."

Boeing also receives export "assistance" from the US Federal government to the tune of around a billion dollars per annum.

Your reaction is typically Canadian. Somebody hits you and you say "SORRY".
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Boeing has been subsidized too........ but no one is saying that .

Said where - in the propaganda machinery or in here?
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Said where - in the propaganda machinery or in here?

Ever heard of this US Government organisation?

Who We Serve | EXIM.gov

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expor..._United_States

They're pretty brazen and unashamed of their support for exporters. This organisation is also referred to as "The Bank of Boeing".

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...9oY2Usz8stY0NQ

It's only us lilly-livered Canadians who think that it's somehow sinful to give our industries a leg up. That is why US businesses dominate Canadian ones. We're a bunch of wimpy cowards.
 
White_Unifier
#14
Yes, the US government subsidized Boeing. But here's the thing. Many Boeing parts are made in Canada just as many Bombardier parts are made in the US.

So when the US subsidizes Boeing, it inadvertently subsidizes Canadian Boeing parts producers, airlines, and ultimately travelers. Why would any Canadian traveler complain about the US government subsidizing his vacations?

On the other hand, I do take issue with my taxes subsidizing others' vacations.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Yes, the US government subsidized Boeing. But here's the thing. Many Boeing parts are made in Canada just as many Bombardier parts are made in the US.

So when the US subsidizes Boeing, it inadvertently subsidizes Canadian Boeing parts producers, airlines, and ultimately travelers. Why would any Canadian traveler complain about the US government subsidizing his vacations?

On the other hand, I do take issue with my taxes subsidizing others' vacations.

This is all about Boeing eliminating one of their potential competitors from the World with US government assistance.. Airbus is too big and strong to take on, now. Embraer and Bombardier are both vulnerable and Canada is currently re-negotiating NAFTA so beating us up is a negotiating gambit.
 
White_Unifier
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

This is all about Boeing eliminating one of their potential competitors from the World with US government assistance.. Airbus is too big and strong to take on, now. Embraer and Bombardier are both vulnerable and Canada is currently re-negotiating NAFTA so beating us up is a negotiating gambit.

Firstly, the US was stupid to subsidize an airplane business. All it benefits are middle-to-upper-class airline passengers ultimately.

Secondly, the US is stupid to attack bombardier, especially given how many bombardier parts are made in the US. Canada would be equally stupid to attack Boeing for the same reason. Many of their parts are made in Canada. The US should be thankful that the Canadian government was equally stupid to subsidize Bombardier and so subsidize airline passengers worldwide while people are starving in the streets.

Ah priorities.

In short, the whole fiasco is a stupid mess on all sides and we can almost bet that Canada will only make things even worse by retaliating, even though I acknowledge that Trump is causing a whole lot of damage himself.
 
Highball
#17
So are a lot odf American pilots. Bombardier builds some fine aircraft. Some can do things no us made plane can. BUT...
 
White_Unifier
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Highball View Post

So are a lot odf American pilots. Bombardier builds some fine aircraft. Some can do things no us made plane can. BUT...

But what?
 
Twila
#19
from America first to full on protectionism. I don't think this is gonna pan out well trump.
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1
#20  Top Rated Post
Canada should have a very firm and direct response. Tear up NAFTA, walk away from further negotiations and impose a 220% tariff on all US goods entering the country.
 
White_Unifier
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

from America first to full on protectionism. I don't think this is gonna pan out well trump.

Protectionism will only hurt both sides.

Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

Canada should have a very firm and direct response. Tear up NAFTA, walk away from further negotiations and impose a 220% tariff on all US goods entering the country.

Any trade war will hurt both sides no doubt. First, we should try to avoid a trade war and de-escalate.

Second, if that's not possible, and recognizing that any trade war will inevitably hurt both sides, then let's at least try to ensure maximum pain to the US and minimum for Canada to the degree possible.

For that, I'd propose a per-weight and per-kw export tax. This would contribute to a reverse-Dutch-disease effect by reducing Canadian raw-materials exports to the US, lower the Canadian dollar, and so increase Canadian manufacturing exports to the US.
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Protectionism will only hurt both sides.



Any trade war will hurt both sides no doubt. First, we should try to avoid a trade war and de-escalate.

Second, if that's not possible, and recognizing that any trade war will inevitably hurt both sides, then let's at least try to ensure maximum pain to the US and minimum for Canada to the degree possible.

For that, I'd propose a per-weight and per-kw export tax. This would contribute to a reverse-Dutch-disease effect by reducing Canadian raw-materials exports to the US, lower the Canadian dollar, and so increase Canadian manufacturing exports to the US.

Wrong....cut them off completely and start exporting to Asia. Start by completely stopping the flow of oil, water and power south....that will get their attention
 
White_Unifier
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

Wrong....cut them off completely and start exporting to Asia. Start by completely stopping the flow of oil, water and power south....that will get their attention

Right... and completely decimate the Canadian and Northern-US economies.

I'm all for freer trade between Canada and Asia, but as a supplement to Canada-US trade, not as a replacement. If the aim is to replace it, then that also imposes additional transportation costs due to distance. The US enjoys an advantage to Canada due to geographical proximity. Just because Trump is prepared to destroy the North American economy doesn't mean Canada should throw fuel onto the fire unless we must. And if we must, then let's do so with caution.
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Right... and completely decimate the Canadian and Northern-US economies.

I'm all for freer trade between Canada and Asia, but as a supplement to Canada-US trade, not as a replacement. If the aim is to replace it, then that also imposes additional transportation costs due to distance. The US enjoys an advantage to Canada due to geographical proximity. Just because Trump is prepared to destroy the North American economy doesn't mean Canada should throw fuel onto the fire unless we must. And if we must, then let's do so with caution.

We have far to many abundant natural resources to bow down to the US. If we cut off all trade with them we would be fine. They would suffer immensely as soon as the oil and power were turned off and be on their knees within days.
 
Durry
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

We have far to many abundant natural resources to bow down to the US. If we cut off all trade with them we would be fine. They would suffer immensely as soon as the oil and power were turned off and be on their knees within days.

You gotta be a dreamer and a dumb one at that!!
 
TenPenny
#26
What's kinda funny is that Boeing used to own DHC, but gave up on the Dash7/Dash8 product, and sold the company to Bombardier, where it has thrived.
 
Durry
#27
But did it thrive because of taxpayer dollars here ??
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#28
No.... It survived because it made a better airplane. Ain'cha been readin, Cletus?
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

No.... It survived because it made a better airplane. Ain'cha been readin, Cletus?

But they made it with a few billion tax dollars we will never get back or thanked for.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#30
It's called investment by some