Electricity rates in Ontario to rise again May 1

Locutus
+1
just in time for the longer summer days.

wynneing!

Time-of-use electricity prices will jump half-a-cent to 18 cents a kilowatt hour for peak periods, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, starting May 1.

The rates are up slightly less for mid-peak periods -- between 7 and 11 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. -- at 13.2 cents a kwh.

Off peak rates -- in effect from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and all day weekends and holidays -- are up less than half a cent to 7.7 cents a kwh.

The Ontario Energy Board estimates the changes will add about $3.13 a month to the electricity line on the average monthly hydro bill for a household using 750 kwh a month.

The board sets rates every six months, and adjusts the hours for peak and off-peak periods, with changes every May 1 and Nov. 1.

Electricity rates in Ontario to rise again May 1 | CP24.com

mentalfloss
Eh.

We've seen it going up for a while now.

The amounts are nothing earth shattering to be honest.

I'd be more worried about rates if we had beaver grin in power.

But the fact the locjaw complains about $3 a month pretty much settles it.

petros
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
It's a sign of desperation poopsiefloss.

mentalfloss
Well yea, if $3 a month really gets your goat, you need to recheck your priorities for sure.

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
you'll pay it and like it

petros
+2
It's a kick in the crotch to small business but hey, it's only $3 to brain-dead shmucks.

mentalfloss
All business prefer certainty despite higher costs.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Must be the cheap wind power we are generating.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Must be the cheap wind power we are generating.

Yikes! Stumbled across this: Ontario Wind Turbines | Ontario has the most expensive electricity in North America

On November 1, 2015, rates increased by 8.7%.
On January 1, 2016, rates increased by another 10%.
Since 2010, Ontario’s electricity prices have increased by 88%.

"4% of our power is from wind energy, yet it costs us 20% of our electrical bill."

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Well yea, if $3 a month really gets your goat, you need to recheck your priorities for sure.

$3.00 a month in Liberal propaganda translates to $30.00 a month in reality - more if they can get away with it (and the thieving bastards can)

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Yikes! Stumbled across this: Ontario Wind Turbines | Ontario has the most expensive electricity in North America

"4% of our power is from wind energy, yet it costs us 20% of our electrical bill."

It's OK cuz the Libs put up the windmills.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2

... Well, at least we know that small business likes certainty and it's certain that they will be paying the highest electricity bills in NorAm.

Just think of all the new businesses that will moving to Ontario to take advantage of the certainty!!

mentalfloss

This only reinforces my point that Ontarians are fine with the additional costs and the current PC party policy on carbon pricing would not change the status quo.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2
You really don't have a clue do you. Must be all that pedigree shyte

mentalfloss
Well they're promising a revenue neutral carbon pricing scheme, which is something the BC Liberals have already implemented in their successful carbon tax model.

Ontario PC Party Head: A "Sensible" Carbon Price Is In The Offing

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+3

Hydro rates in Ontario have increased by over 400% in the last decade, for no good reason. I think his priorities are fine. If you think a 400% increase over ten years to have a LESS reliable power supply is a good deal, maybe you should lay off the Kool-Aid for a while.

This only reinforces my point that Ontarians are fine with the additional costs and the current PC party policy on carbon pricing would not change the status quo.

Are you f*cking high? What the hell does carbon pricing have to do with our current power supply?

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Are you f*cking high? What the hell does carbon pricing have to do with our current power supply?

you're dealing with a troll man.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2

Well they're promising a revenue neutral carbon pricing scheme, which is something the BC Liberals have already implemented in their successful carbon tax model.

Oh, the LPO is promising a revenue neutral carbon pricing scheme. Well thank god for that, because as we all know, the Ontario Libtards have a stellar record of not lying to and not ripping off the taxpayer.

Remember folks, this is the party that has pissed away billions of dollars of taxpayer money on absolutely nothing.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

I'm sorry for comparing him to you.

IdRatherBeSkiing

The man part is still in question.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
How much electricity use these days is REALLY necessary?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
It's when the furnace fan kicking in doubles your consumption you know you're scrimping all you can and you're still going to have to walk away from the place because income won't go up to meet cost of living.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Define necessary. Certainly if you are posting on here you obviously view your computer as necessary. Presumably you want to do that in light as well. Do you like to sweat in the summer or freeze in the winter?

Machjo
+1

just in time for the longer summer days.

wynneing!

Time-of-use electricity prices will jump half-a-cent to 18 cents a kilowatt hour for peak periods, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, starting May 1.

The rates are up slightly less for mid-peak periods -- between 7 and 11 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. -- at 13.2 cents a kwh.

Off peak rates -- in effect from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and all day weekends and holidays -- are up less than half a cent to 7.7 cents a kwh.

The Ontario Energy Board estimates the changes will add about $3.13 a month to the electricity line on the average monthly hydro bill for a household using 750 kwh a month.

The board sets rates every six months, and adjusts the hours for peak and off-peak periods, with changes every May 1 and Nov. 1.

Electricity rates in Ontario to rise again May 1 | CP24.com

It's either that or taxes subsidize them.

I prefer user-pay.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

I prefer user-pay.

In Ontario you do both.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2

That and taxes is a large part of the reason industry left the province.

Ontario PC Party Head: A "Sensible" Carbon Price Is In The Offing

THe BC one is a tax scam to buy leftard votes. And it worked.Ontario's government already has the retard vote so they don't have to bother with another scam tax.

Walter
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Try living without it.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

I prefer user-pay.

With an incompetent government you get to do both. And pay to have them stop work on cost effective power generation.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Try living without it.

Most people could probably live quite well without 60% it!

It always amuses me when there is a discussion of power use some imbecile has to bring up the use of the computer. If you really want to attack power usage consider the electric range, the toaster, the clothes dryer, the hot water heater, the hot tub, the block heater on your vehicle, the washing machine, the air conditioner. What also baffles me is the number of people I see sitting in the house in winter wearing a T-shirt while the heat is cranked up. Wearing a wool shirt or sweater is much more economical.
Last edited by JLM; Apr 15th, 2016 at 06:39 PM..

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
My wife has steam coming out of her ears!!

They are putting up Hydro rates because conservation efforts have been so successful that their revenues are down!! She makes a point if doing dishes, laundry at off peak hours to save a bit of money AND BECAUSE IT IS GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT TO CONSERVE!

Anyway, I'm shaking my head at the marketing genius that becomes up with "We're not selling enough. Let's put our prices up." He may even be the same microsephallic pea brain that decided to put a gas fired generating plant (that obviously wasn't needed) 200 yards from a neighbourhood with 700 plus houses in it that are worth multiple millions of dollars ... about the third, fourth most expensive neighbourhood in Canada.

Ontario Hydro and all of it's fractals ... publically funded incompetence on a massive scale.