Quebec students demand free tuition

#juan
+2
These turkeys have been complaining about high tuition for almost a year now and their tuition
fees have been the lowest in Canada. Now they want free tuition. I wonder who they think is
going to pay their fees. I wonder if, protesting, instead of studying, has wasted their tuition and
now they want somebody to bail them out. I'd be really upset if my kids wasted the tuition that
I paid for so they could protest

Montreal student protest calls for free tuition - Montreal - CBC News

Johnnny
give them free tuiton, and then raise taxes in general across the province

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

give them free tuiton, and then raise taxes in general across the province

Raising taxes across the province might be about as popular as a turd in the punch bowl. Can they
order the students back to school?

DaSleeper
Quebec already has the highest provincial rate in Canada....

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

These turkeys have been complaining about high tuition for almost a year now and their tuition
fees have been the lowest in Canada. Now they want free tuition. I wonder who they think is
going to pay their fees. I wonder if, protesting, instead of studying, has wasted their tuition and
now they want somebody to bail them out. I'd be really upset if my kids wasted the tuition that
I paid for so they could protest

Montreal student protest calls for free tuition - Montreal - CBC News

You forget, #Juan, they are a distinct society!

#juan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Maybe not...

CBCNews.ca - Post-secondary tuition across Canada

L Gilbert
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Dair society make destink.

L Gilbert
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Dair society make destink.

DaSleeper

Raising taxes across the province might be about as popular as a turd in the punch bowl. Can they
order the students back to school?

Maybe not...

CBCNews.ca - Post-secondary tuition across Canada

Posting right below you, I thought it was obvious that I meant the tax rate, not the tuition fee with the prvincial rate

taxslave
Expect them do demand a handout from Ottawa again.

petros
I can only imagine the cut rate, Commie education you'd get for "free". I'd fear for the future.

taxslave
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I can only imagine the cut rate, Commie education you'd get for "free". I'd fear for the future.

Their idea of free is that someone else pays for it. Typical of freeloaders.

Tonington
+4
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Their idea of free is that someone else pays for it. Typical of freeloaders.

We're all free loaders at some point. A logical question is why is post-secondary not covered like primary and secondary education? Post-secondary education of some sort is pretty much a requirement for most jobs these days.

The corollary is if it makes sense to pay for colleges/universities/trade schools, then why not for elementary and high school? I'd personally like to see some objective analysis of the status quo versus what the Quebec students are asking and alternatively if all education became unsubsidized, with costs and benefits included.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

We're all free loaders at some point. A logical question is why is post-secondary not covered like primary and secondary education? Post-secondary education of some sort is pretty much a requirement for most jobs these days.

The corollary is if it makes sense to pay for colleges/universities/trade schools, then why not for elementary and high school? I'd personally like to see some objective analysis of the status quo versus what the Quebec students are asking and alternatively if all education became unsubsidized, with costs and benefits included.

Studies have been done comparing the US pay for and in some EU paid for PS education-

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Studies have been done comparing the US pay for and in some EU paid for PS education-

The quality of US universities varies so much that they had to invent the GREs to separate the wheat from the chaff. To me, that says it all.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

The quality of US universities varies so much that they had to invent the GREs to separate the wheat from the chaff. To me, that says it all.

Big difference between a school like say, Harvard Business School, and the College of Business at Iowa State.

darkbeaver

This will get you on the watch list. That's how good the idea is. This and nothing else will keep ****heads out of offices and away from expensive machinery. Just because you can afford an education is no reason to give you a seat and waste the nations full quota of intelligent youth filling corporate needs above and beyond the needs of the community.

#juan

Posting right below you, I thought it was obvious that I meant the tax rate, not the tuition fee with the prvincial rate

Just too early on a Sunday morning,,,......

Goober
+1

Big difference between a school like say, Harvard Business School, and the College of Business at Iowa State.

As I mentioned studies have been done- I would search for them but at work and do not have the time. Perhaps a thread on this topic would be appropriate - with stats- studies etc.

PoliticalNick
+1
It all comes down to just what we as citizens demand as essential services from our govt and then holding them to account on it. I believe there are a few things that should be 100% funded by the govt. Necessary infrastructure, policing & security, healthcare, and education (including post-secondary) should never cost us a penny other than in taxes. We need a constitutional amendment making these things a requirement in the budgets. They waste billions on stupid sh*t like multiculturalism and bilingualism and a host of others that should be user pay programs. We have allowed our govts to erode funding for essential services in favor of special interest programs for far to long.

darkbeaver
If we did that we would, in less than one generation, rebuild our economy.

taxslave

Post secondary education is at least partly paid for except possibly at some private institutions. What the students pay is only a portion of the cost. While I can see the benefit of us paying for studying medicine and engineering and trades. I am against taxpayers paying for someone to study things like french literature. I am also against us paying for someone to go to school just because they don't want to get a job.

darkbeaver
Children are our most precious resource they said.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I am against taxpayers paying for someone to study things like french literature. I am also against us paying for someone to go to school just because they don't want to get a job.

Well, as you already said, you are paying for it.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

If you don't pay for your education, the stuff that counts, you don't appreciate it. Ever wonder why a high school degree is worth **** now? It's because they are rubber stamped to whoever doesn't quit. If post-secondary is free, the same lack of standards will apply and the degree will be just as useless.

Perhaps if you get 75%+ average you can get a rebate on your tuition. They higher the grade, the more the rebate. 100% will be 100% free. But no no-zero policies or no child left behind crap.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

If you don't pay for your education, the stuff that counts, you don't appreciate it. Ever wonder why a high school degree is worth **** now? It's because they are rubber stamped to whoever doesn't quit. If post-secondary is free, the same lack of standards will apply and the degree will be just as useless.

Perhaps if you get 75%+ average you can get a rebate on your tuition. They higher the grade, the more the rebate. 100% will be 100% free. But no no-zero policies or no child left behind crap.

There are a couple Scandinavian countries making good with it.

Tonington
+3

That's arguable. I know plenty of people whose education was paid for entirely by their parents. It's disingenuous to say they don't appreciate both what they received and the fact that they didn't pay for it. It's not clear at all that free education means standards will slide. Norway has free university, even for foreigners who go to study there. Norway is highly competitive with research in many fields, mine for example. Germany, also very cheap, little to no tuition. Germany is one of the best international performers in science and R&D.

This notion that education quality and outcomes are a function of personal costs is dubious.

What about someone like myself? My employer will pay for my education. I can get a Masters degree, paid for entirely by the corporation I work for. Do you think this means I will appreciate it less than if I paid for it myself? Hardly. Though it does mean I can stress out more over timelines than about my finances.

IdRatherBeSkiing

What about someone like myself? My employer will pay for my education. I can get a Masters degree, paid for entirely by the corporation I work for. Do you think this means I will appreciate it less than if I paid for it myself? Hardly. Though it does mean I can stress out more over timelines than about my finances.

I assume you would be accountable to your employer for your Master's degree performance?

Tonington
+1

I assume you would be accountable to your employer for your Master's degree performance?

They only require passing grades. I'm sure university/college/trade school students would be thrilled if they could get free education so long as they don't fail. I would have.

Goober

They only require passing grades. I'm sure university/college/trade school students would be thrilled if they could get free education so long as they don't fail. I would have.

Do you have any problems with increasing the pass mark when it is funded by the public.

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Do you have any problems with increasing the pass mark when it is funded by the public.

Yes, the pass mark should stay at whatever the school wants it at. A threshold for free education, above that of just passing grades would have been fine by me.