Public health recommends lowering Toronto speed limits

Locutus
TORONTO - A recommendation that the speed limit on the city’s streets be reduced will go before Toronto’s Board of Health next week.

The staff report, scheduled to go before the board Monday, states that in order to make the city safer for pedestrians and cyclists, speed limits on residential streets should be reduced to 30 km/h, and that limits on all other streets be dropped to 40 km/h “unless otherwise posted.”

Most of Toronto’s residential streets currently have a speed limit of 40 km/h, with all other streets having limits ranging from around 40 to 60 km/h, said Monica Campbell, director of healthy public policy for Toronto.

While the number of pedestrians and cyclists killed annually has levelled off, the totals need to be reduced, she said.

more

Public health recommends lowering Toronto speed limits | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
IdRatherBeSkiing
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
How about teaching pedestrians not to just dart out in traffic and cyclists to obey traffic laws?

Too many idiots with too much time on their hands.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Too many idiots with too much time on their hands.

Or buds in their ears.

Spade
+1
If the speed limit were 0 km/h, pedestrian deaths from vehicle collisions would be totally eliminated. Vote for Spade!
- I have approved this election advertisement - Spade

mentalfloss
I'll still drive the same speed.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I'll still drive the same speed.

So you're the guy who is driving 20 kph in the left lane...

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

So you're the guy who is driving 20 kph in the left lane...

I can't wait until I get the time to finish building my push bar for the Yota, to deal with people like that. SCB made it perfectly clear, mounting a 50cal to deal with them, was out of the question.

relic
+2
How about increase the limit,thin out the herd,walkers and cyclists think the rules are for everyone but them.I think if they go outside those protective lines or against the light,they are fair game.I rather enjoy the sound of a door connecting with a bike,not as much as an aluminium bat,but close.

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I can't wait until I get the time to finish building my push bar for the Yota, to deal with people like that. SCB made it perfectly clear, mounting a 50cal to deal with them, was out of the question.

The police also tend to frown on that. I've heard.

Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

How about increase the limit,thin out the herd,walkers and cyclists think the rules are for everyone but them.I think if they go outside those protective lines or against the light,they are fair game.I rather enjoy the sound of a door connecting with a bike,not as much as an aluminium bat,but close.

Don't discount the actual idiot drivers too. But lowering the speed limit won't solve any of it. It'll just mean low-er speed collisions.

lone wolf
+3
...or more revenues from speeding tickets

B00Mer
Fukking Libtards going over the top... again.

It amazes me how they contribute pedestrian deaths with car speed.. how about not enforcing the laws to begin with.. Jaywalking is illegal, when have to scene a police officer issue a ticket for Jaywalking.

[youtube]FPbVOMmmyag[/youtube]

Australia has it together..

Enforce the dam laws to begin with, and quit trying to find a cheap way out by penalizing everyone else because of a few dumb asses.

Ticket the dumb asses.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Fukking Libtards going over the top... again.

It amazes me how they contribute pedestrian deaths with car speed.. how about not enforcing the laws to begin with.. Jaywalking is illegal, when have to scene a police officer issue a ticket for Jaywalking.

[youtube]FPbVOMmmyag[/youtube]

Australia has it together..

Enforce the dam laws to begin with, and quit trying to find a cheap way out by penalizing everyone else because of a few dumb asses.

Ticket the dumb asses.

The faster a car travels, the greater the probability is that a pedestrian would be seriously injured if struck by that vehicle.

I am sure you meant that current laws "should" be enforced.

What is a Libtard? I understand "Fukking."

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

The faster a car travels, the greater the probability is that a pedestrian would be seriously injured if struck by that vehicle.

Zero chance of being struck if he wasn't Jaywalking to begin with.

What is a Libtard? I understand "Fukking."

Liberal Retard.. LibTard. sorta like FukTard Fukking Retard.

Spade
Why is law enforcement associated with liberalism?

B00Mer
+1

Why is law enforcement associated with liberalism?

Provincial law.. Liberal government in that province. NO?

Besides, Ontario is infested with liberalism..

Spade

Provincial law.. Liberal government in that province. NO?

No, this would be a City of Toronto bye law. Isn't the mayor a Conservative?

B00Mer

No, this would be a City of Toronto bye law. Isn't the mayor a Conservative?

I'm sure the people voting on this issue at the municipal level are Liberals... (Dam Easterners)

What's wrong with enforcing the Jaywalking laws first.. why is it the Liberal way to make everyone safe, is to penalize everyone for the bad deeds of a few??

Spade

I'm sure the people voting on this issue at the municipal level are Liberals... (Dam Easterners)

What's wrong with enforcing the Jaywalking laws first.. why is it the Liberal way to make everyone safe, is to penalize everyone for the bad deeds of a few??

Are you arguing that Conservatives do not care about public safety?

CDNBear
+1

Isn't the mayor a Conservative?

Not at the Dynasty Dim Sum.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

I am sure you meant that current laws "should" be enforced.

So why is this the driver's problem? Ticket the j-walkers and cyclists.

TenPenny
Lowering speed limits does nothing.

If you want to reduce the speeds that people drive at, you have to make the streets narrower and more difficult, then people automatically slow down. There's an interesting book called 'Traffic' that discusses many of these ideas.

One simple solution is to park vehicles on the street - that narrows it down, and makes people drive slower. Cities should seriously consider this as a short term solution - take city owned vehicles, and park them on the streets where they want to slow traffic.

B00Mer

Are you arguing that Conservatives do not care about public safety?

O.K. let's take Texas.. would you agree that Texas is a Conservative hot bed.. ??

In Texas we just increased the speed from 70 mph to 80 mph for safety reason...

Unfortunately, that only applies to cars and not tractor trailers as you can see from the sign in the distance, which is Big Truck Speed.

Less high speed chases along I20 & I10 now. Much safer..

Texas Lawmakers Vote To Raise Speed Limit : NPR

TenPenny
+1

O.K. let's take Texas.. would you agree that Texas is a Conservative hot bed.. ??

Unfortunately, that only applies to cars and not tractor trailers as you can see from the sign in the distance, which is Big Truck Speed.

Those are interesting city streets you have in Texas. I can see how that applies to downtown Toronto.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Those are interesting city streets you have in Texas. I can see how that applies to downtown Toronto.

EH! ?

Here is a Texas city street.. LOL Everything is bigger in Texas

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

Texas Lawmakers Vote To Raise Speed Limit : NPR

Same thing happened on the turnpike in WV. Its a mountain road and they initially made the limit 55 since it was so 'dangerous'. Had a lot of accidents and fatalities. Increased it to 70 and it became safer. Most accidents happen when a fast driver meets a slow one. If you make everybody go a bit faster, this is less likely to happen.

lone wolf
+3
Odd how a self-proclaimed truck driver doesn't know the difference between a limited access highway - where pedestrians aren't allowed - and a city street....

Spade
+1
O, I see now. The faster one travels, the shorter time one is on the road. Perhaps law makers should enforce time limits rather than speed limits - the Conservative solution.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Odd how a self-proclaimed truck driver doesn't know the difference between a limited access highway - where pedestrians aren't allowed - from a city street....

Odd you didn't see the LOL.. "Everything is bigger in Texas" joke.

You're Humor is as flat as Keira Knightley

IdRatherBeSkiing

O, I see now. The faster one travels, the shorter time one is on the road. Perhaps law makers should enforce time limits rather than speed limits - the Conservative solution.

I fail to see how speed limits are a liberal/conservative value.

lone wolf
+1
Go back to Texas, then. I'm sure you're really big there.