Invite button

karrie
Hey Andem!

I thought I would raise the idea here of an 'invite' option, so that we could invite people who we might think would be interested in the forum.

Personally, I don't like my real life people to know where I post, but, there are a few acquaintances that I think would LOVE this forum. Inviting them personally would kind of defeat the purpose of me posting under a pseudonym here though.

On an old forum I belonged to, a member could put an e-mail for a friend into the invite option, and it would generate a message along the lines of
"A member of our forum has indicated that you might be interested in participating in our discussions, especially those pertaining to ______." It then gave a link, and also an option to block any further e-mails from the site, as well as the option to put a more personalized message into a field.

Just a thought.

Vereya
That does sound like a great idea! I'm sorry if I'm interfering, but maybe the invite button could also work to invite forum members into a certain thread? Like people, whose opinion on the issue you'd like to hear.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Vereya View Post

That does sound like a great idea! I'm sorry if I'm interfering, but maybe the invite button could also work to invite forum members into a certain thread? Like people, whose opinion on the issue you'd like to hear.

Oh I like that idea.

Yeah, I'm sure Andem can just pull such functions out of his ear for us. lol.

shadowshiv

Holy hannah! Working late tonight, Vereya?

It has the makings of a good idea. I don't have a lot of offline friends that would go to forums, but I might be able to hornswaggle one or two of 'em to join up.

scratch

...which could be construed as ` Selective Discrimination ` - or - ` My Sandbox, My Rules `.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by scratch View Post

...which could be construed as ` Selective Discrimination ` - or - ` My Sandbox, My Rules `.

Where do you see discrimination here? For instance, there is an interesting discussion. I know that you have something to say on its topic. And you just happened to overlook that thread, or to be offline for a couple of days. So I send you an invitation, just because I think that you can make a great contribution. It diesn't mean that I am banning everyone else. It doesn't mean that you will be obliged to say anything, it's up to you.
Where's the discrimination, can you kindly explain it to me?

scratch

Where do you see discrimination here? For instance, there is an interesting discussion. I know that you have something to say on its topic. And you just happened to overlook that thread, or to be offline for a couple of days. So I send you an invitation, just because I think that you can make a great contribution. It diesn't mean that I am banning everyone else. It doesn't mean that you will be obliged to say anything, it's up to you.
Where's the discrimination, can you kindly explain it to me?

I understand where you are coming from. I honestly gave this a tremendous amount of thought before posting it. The choice of word I knew would be controversial but after going through seven online dictionaries and four printed ones, it still remained the logical choice.
I did not use it in terms of race etc., I used it as more of a collective term.
I went through the whole post and its threads and in my opinion it struck me in the way of who would be included and/or excluded through a discriminating fashion or manner based on members` knowledge of others i.e., their level of education, their backgrounds, what they choose to comment or not comment on or just simply ignore.
I am just as guilty in my now dead attempt with my `dilemmas` and my planned `Canadian History--How much do we know?`. I set up guidelines and rules and that was wrong, so abandonment was the only solution.
In good faith I made a comment without the INTENT to offend or take anyone to task.
I honestly cannot think of anything to add other than saying that my perception of the idea as I read it, struck me as being as I stated it.
If I have not answered your question to your satisfaction, please let me know.
Perhaps the complexity of the suggestion and who would set up guidelines and rules rattled me, I cannot say for sure.
My most sincere apologies to you and karrie.
If this idea works out then we all win especially Canadian Content.
Regards,
scratch