Wind farms: the monuments to lunacy

Kakato
I dont know about them being self sufficient but power flows both ways on the Alberta/ BC grid right now.Whoever needs it most at the time gets it.
You will see a new windmill in southern Alberta planted every day now for many years,and a new powerline to transmit the power to BC,and the usa in maybe a year,I work on these projects as a prefferred contractor right now so I see it happening.
Get used to the windfarms,they are a nice clean energy source.
Last edited by Kakato; Oct 20th, 2011 at 09:54 PM..

bill barilko
Visiting Northern Ontario after many years away I was struck by how windy it was-much more so than most of the BC coast.

Kakato
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

Visiting Northern Ontario after many years away I was struck by how windy it was-much more so than most of the BC coast.

Thats because B.C blows and Newfoundland sucks now! lol!

dumpthemonarchy
I found out from this facebook page that the one windmill on Grouse Mtn is considered a wind farm which produces 1.5 megawatts of electricity. One of 3 famrs in BC.

BC Wind Power | Facebook

"Clean" power won't last, it is too expensive. It'll clean us out. It can't scale up, but it looks and sounds good. Pleases kids.

Kakato
I have videos on you tube of these bad boys while standing under one,they are impressive.
The blades are the size of the wings on a 747.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakato View Post

I have videos on you tube of these bad boys while standing under one,they are impressive.
The blades are the size of the wings on a 747.

A 747, huge, and just one blade. I wonder how a geothermal energy plant compares in acreage to a wind farm. I would guess the geothermal plant is much smaller and quieter. Smaller footprint, less impact on locals and the view. Geothermal power may be more green than wind power.

jjaycee98

i'll ask the experts today as im assisting them in getting the triple 7 power line into B.C. rec'd out and re energized so we dont have to keep relying on very expensive B.C. hydro for our power here while the line is on the ground.

I would gladly pay BC Hydro for my electricity. We live in Grande Prairie and I see bills from my BC clients. They pay less than half what we pay for Hydro. My monthly bill is over $200 even in the summer. One of my clients has a compareable house and shop and pays about $140 for his bi-monthly bill. Yes! thats right! Last year my total for the year was $2737. My clients was $1326.

Deregulation has done Albertans alot of harm!

Cannuck
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

We already use other sources such as natural gas and coal. Business likes it when the greens go nuts over wind and solar because biz gets handouts, those independent private corporations like free money too.

This may come as a bit of a shock to you but with very few exceptions, infrastructure is built with public funds regardless of who owns or operates it. Whether it's roads, telephone polls, power lines, oil wells or the internet, government has historically had it's finger as one point or other.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

This may come as a bit of a shock to you but with very few exceptions, infrastructure is built with public funds regardless of who owns or operates it. Whether it's roads, telephone polls, power lines, oil wells or the internet, government has historically had it's finger as one point or other.

Govt didn't pay for oil wells. Private biz made a killing off oil. Roads are to get somewhere and everyone benefits. Govt is to pay for as little as possible, that's the idea. That makes cheaper power. Then like BC Hydro, they sell it, for a profit, so they can build more dams and generate more power.

Wind farms simply generate power more expensively than hydro, coal or oil. And wind power is subsidized everywhere. Geothermal makes run of river projects very small time.

Gilgamesh
+1

They do just fine here without subsidies.As far as technical they dont get much more tech then these.

No they don't do fine anywhere. And when the winds don't blow and the electrons don't flow you need a backup powerplant anyway.

In Ontario they had a surplus of power but went ahead and installed more than $2 billion worth anyway. Electrons can't be stored so Ontario sells it to NY.

LOL NY charges Ontario(!) for taking the power.

Amount of greening in Ontario? SFA ,

In addition, Ontario now has the biggest non-national debt of any political entity on the planet.

Similar experiences in the EU.

BTW Gerald Butts was the guy who helped bankrupt the Province of Ontario.