“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules


Risus
#121
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171 View Post

Risus- no its not a politic statement get you clue look up it in a dictanotry and stop being. Its never been one from the start.

you should know better it seem you guys hate supporting your own troops.. sad very sad... shows how much you care for you so called "country"

I have no intention of going over it all with you again. Read all the previous posts and you will learn something.
We do support our troops, not sad at all, we just don't go into war illegally like you people, and you seem to love it. We care about our country and that was very evident throughout the olympics. If you want to insult Canada, then you are not welcome here.

By the way, don't you yead your inbox messages??
 
JLM
#122
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

I have no intention of going over it all with you again. Read all the previous posts and you will learn something.
We do support our troops, not sad at all, we just don't go into war illegally like you people, and you seem to love it. We care about our country and that was very evident throughout the olympics. If you want to insult Canada, then you are not welcome here.

By the way, don't you yead your inbox messages??

What Nationality are you anyway, Critter?
 
critter171
#123
JLM i am from American i was born American the problem with these people is they got a problem with their/our on slogan out of all i would thought they would of supported it from the start.

You can learn something to Risus stand up for yourself. I never insulting Candida your insulting on believes and views of many people in the states here. You are insulting my country.

support our troops is no way and or from anything politics out of it. You have been to war illegal so don't even start it took days for you guys to give word you agree. you have accused of some many things yet. the same thing happens to you when you do to us.

there still plenty there.
 
gerryh
#124
Ya know......I've about had it with this little f*ckwad.
 
Risus
#125
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171 View Post

I never insulting Candida .

Reread your post #119. You referred to Canada as a 'so called "country"'. That is an insult.
And learn to spell it.
 
Kreskin
#126
Quote: Originally Posted by JBeee View Post

*In my opinion, disqualify him immediately*

Feb 16, 2010 00:09 EST

Trouble is brewing over United States ice hockey goalie Jonathan Quick and the “Support Our Troops” slogan on his helmet. Slogans of this sort are banned under Olympic rules and Quick will be told to remove it, the International Ice Hockey Federation has told Reuters.

Ryan Miller has also been told to remove the slogan “Miller Time” from his helmet while the third American netminder Tim Thomas had already placed a sticker over a slogan on his mask for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

IOC rules forbid political propoganda or advertisements being placed on equipment.

“If the players don’t agree with the interpretation they can ask the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) to petition the IOC.”

Miller said he had agreed to remove “Miller Time”, which is also a popular beer company slogan, but might fight to keep “Matt Man”, a tribute to a dead friend from being taken off his helmet.

What do you think? Should athletes be allowed to carry personal or political messages on their clothing or equipment at the Olympic Games? Or is the IOC right to keep such messages out of the Games?

I personally don't have a problem with it. As long as a slogan isn't insulting others it's fine with me. However, I do understand that allowing anything can result in a slippery slope where officials will need to be subjective and thus take heat when they do ban slogans. Probably best not to have any.
 
gopher
#127
"Should athletes be allowed to carry personal or political messages on their clothing or equipment at the Olympic Games?"

The IOC needs to remain consistent in the application of its rules. Consider what it did to Juan Carlos in 1968.
 
Liberalman
#128
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

"Should athletes be allowed to carry personal or political messages on their clothing or equipment at the Olympic Games?"

The IOC needs to remain consistent in the application of its rules. Consider what it did to Juan Carlos in 1968.

yes.
 
CDNBear
#129
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

First it was a political statement and had to go.

Not a single one of you has proven this.
 
gerryh
#130
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Not a single one of you has proven this.


How about the fact that the Olympics are supposed to support peace and brotherhood among nations and people.

"Support our troops" could be construed as support for war. Not that it necessarily is, but that it could be taken that way and thusly is counter productive to the spirit of the Olympics.
 
JLM
#131
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

How about the fact that the Olympics are supposed to support peace and brotherhood among nations and people.

"Support our troops" could be construed as support for war. Not that it necessarily is, but that it could be taken that way and thusly is counter productive to the spirit of the Olympics.

Nah, they are fighting for peace, Ger.
 
TenPenny
#132
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Not a single one of you has proven this.

Proven what?
 
JLM
#133
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Proven what?

"That it was a political statement and had to go"
 
gerryh
#134
looking at the helmet....only a brain dead moron, or a complete idiot could think that it was not political.
 
CDNBear
#135
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

How about the fact that the Olympics are supposed to support peace and brotherhood among nations and people.

Competition isn't peace.

Quote:

"Support our troops" could be construed as support for war.

Only by the comprehension-ally challenged, as it's been proven time and time again, that is a support system for the people in the uniform, not the Gov't, nor its wishes. Hence why it's non political either.

Quote:

Not that it necessarily is, but that it could be taken that way and thusly is counter productive to the spirit of the Olympics.

That's awesome, many people take you the wrong way Gh, does that make them right?

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Proven what?

Gh, this is a fine example of "comprehension-ally challenged".

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

looking at the helmet....only a brain dead moron, or a complete idiot could think that it was not political.

Funny, I was just thinking that only an uniformed, ideologically blinded ass with a grudge, would think it was.
 
TenPenny
#136
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Gh, this is a fine example of "comprehension-ally challenged".

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain?
 
CDNBear
#137
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain?

Thanx for proving my point...
 
TenPenny
#138
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Thanx for proving my point...

I'm not sure what you mean - are you suggesting that you have a point?
 
JLM
#139
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain?

I think he means your "head lights" are running on about 5 watts................
 
gerryh
#140
what he means is that he is unable to explain or backup his statement.
 
ironsides
#141
In ancient Greece, the Olympic Games became one of the worlds most enduring and hallowed institutions. They were celebrated continuously for almost 1,200 years. The athletes who won were lauded as heroes for life, and often elevated to the status of royalty in their hometowns. Statues were erected in their honor around the extraordinary Temple of Zeus, near the Sacred Grove of Altis and the stadium at Olympia.

An international truce among the Greeks was declared for the month before the Olympics to allow the athletes to reach Olympia safely.

Nothing about advertising or politics mentioned in original rules.

Original Olympics
 
Risus
#142
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I'm not sure what you mean - are you suggesting that you have a point?

Yes he does, on the top of his head...
 
CDNBear
#143
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

what he means is that he is unable to explain or backup his statement.

Already done so. I have seen nothing but ideological rhetoric, plus signs and equal signs, and 4 year old grudges, in a faint attempt to prove otherwise.

Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Yes he does, on the top of his head...

At least it's sharp, as apposed to the dull wit that some of you pass off as deep thought.
 
Liberalman
#144
At first I thought he should keep the helmet and what a patriotic statement “Support Our Troops” but then again when you look at the design of the American eagle and the flag there is a sword which means death to anyone that opposes us then I agree with the IOC.

The enemy countries of the Americans are represented at the Olympics and this event cannot have political statements right in front of those athletes while they are competing because they lose their concentration and lose the event.

The political statements belong outside with the protesters
 
CDNBear
#145
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

At first I thought he should keep the helmet and what a patriotic statement “Support Our Troops” but then again when you look at the design of the American eagle and the flag there is a sword which means death to anyone that opposes us then I agree with the IOC.

The enemy countries of the Americans are represented at the Olympics and this event cannot have political statements right in front of those athletes while they are competing because they lose their concentration and lose the event.

The political statements belong outside with the protesters

You know what Liberaldud, I actually agree with that. Given that the artwork contained military symbolism, I actually agree, it should have been removed.

But that still doesn't make the statement "Support our Troops" political.
 
TenPenny
#146
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Already done so.

Perhaps you have, somewhere else. Certainly you have never proven such a thing here on this forum.

You have stated that it is your opinion, but that counts for about as much as one micron in the distance to the sun.
 
TenPenny
#147
po·lit·i·cal :play('http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/P0413800')" target="_blank"> (p-lt -kl)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state.

'our troops' = troops hired by our state.

Therefore, 'support our troops' = 'support the people hired by our state to do its bidding', which is inherently a political statement, having to do with the affairs of state.
 
gerryh
#148
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

You know what Liberaldud, I actually agree with that. Given that the artwork contained military symbolism, I actually agree, it should have been removed.

But that still doesn't make the statement "Support our Troops" political.


ROFLMFAO..... getting damn good at splitting hairs, aren't ya.
 
CDNBear
#149
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Perhaps you have, somewhere else. Certainly you have never proven such a thing here on this forum.

Your confusion stems from either your childish 4 year old grudge, or a severe reading comprehension issue.

Quote:

You have stated that it is your opinion, but that counts for about as much as one micron in the distance to the sun.

As if yours means anything that stellar.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

po·lit·i·cal (p-lt -kl)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state.

'our troops' = troops hired by our state.

Therefore, 'support our troops' = 'support the people hired by our state to do its bidding', which is inherently a political statement, having to do with the affairs of state.

Again, "Support our troops" is not in reference to supporting the actions of the state. It is a support system for those people that do or have served.

Seeing as the state does not create people, nor are they in the employ of the state, once they have finished their service, nor is "Support out Troops" in anyway a support for state policy or action, it is solely about the person, not the state.

Furthermore, it is in direct response to the deficiency of the state that "Support our Troops" is mandated.

Hence it's non political, non partisan stature.

I can understand your confusion, myopic thinkers oft have difficulty making distinctions between such complicated things. Especially when compounded by ideologies and grudges.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

ROFLMFAO..... getting damn good at splitting hairs, aren't ya.

Not at all.
 
gerryh
#150
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Not at all.

Don't sell yourself short, you are getting very good at it.
 

Similar Threads

0
support these troops?
by Stretch | Oct 18th, 2008
8
27
Support your troops?
by Gonzo | Sep 27th, 2006
67
Do you support Canadian Troops?
by Jersay | Mar 22nd, 2006