B.C. 'Pot' tax could net billions if pot legalized

tay
+1
A new study calculates British Columbians' pot purchases total about half a billion dollars each year, and the pro-legalization researchers conducting the study say that means the province could be bringing in massive tax revenues.

B.C. marijuana tax could net billions if pot legalized - British Columbia - CBC News

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

A new study calculates British Columbians' pot purchases total about half a billion dollars each year, and the pro-legalization researchers conducting the study say that means the province could be bringing in massive tax revenues.

B.C. marijuana tax could net billions if pot legalized - British Columbia - CBC News

As usual, researchers are about 40 years behind the times. Pot smokers have been saying that for decades. Where have they been.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2
Yeah this isnt really news. People have known about this for a very long time. I imagine many more similar studies with similar results will be published before anyone does anything about it.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Wouldn't the tax revenues from pot just replace the revenues once raised by alcohol? I can't see it as any
super savior for the govt. Might save some money once spent on enforcement of drug laws.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+3
It's about time legislators stepped out of their Reefer Madness haze....

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

It's about time legislators stepped out of their Reefer Madness haze....

Trudeau wanted to legalize pot back in '68 when he was first elected but I think the US (Nixon) jumped all over him.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Wouldn't want to offend Uncle Sam and his fear of Mexicans....

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Wouldn't the tax revenues from pot just replace the revenues once raised by alcohol?

Is alcohol cheaper in BC? Here they still charge an arm and a leg for it. The taxes on it are quite high. Revenue is revenue, even if its only a little bit. No government is in a position to turn down some easy money,

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Trudeau wanted to legalize pot back in '68 when he was first elected but I think the US (Nixon) jumped all over him.

I doubt thats the reason he didnt go through with it. He seemed to enjoy pissing off the Americans, Nixon in particular.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
First of all in politics everything takes time and it has to become a popular idea.
In other words politicians are gutless until the current situation is no long a
tenable one. Now taxpayers are willing to do this so they don't get a tax increase
Its funny how the electorate sobers up at some point.

JamesBondo
+1
This is a classic case where researchers get together, they post some numbers then immediately roll into a politically driven statement like " The money could be used for...".

the fact is any new source of revenue could be used for any program. Just stick to your field of expertise and keep your opinion to yourself.

taxslave
Free Thinker

As usual, researchers are about 40 years behind the times. Pot smokers have been saying that for decades. Where have they been.

Probably not voting or pot would have been legal 40 years ago.

Wouldn't the tax revenues from pot just replace the revenues once raised by alcohol? I can't see it as any
super savior for the govt. Might save some money once spent on enforcement of drug laws.

Enforcement is small potatos. It is all the hangers on that dive the cost of prohibition up. There are thousands of government employees that have a vested interest in keeping pot illegal. Right from court clerks to social workers to persecuters and lawyers.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Enforcement is small potatos. It is all the hangers on that dive the cost of prohibition up. There are thousands of government employees that have a vested interest in keeping pot illegal. Right from court clerks to social workers to persecuters and lawyers.

Not MPs though, well aside from a few who have a socially conservative constituency.

Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

Just stick to your field of expertise and keep your opinion to yourself.

Perhaps in a perfect world, but not in a democracy.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Rubbish. Why would anyone buy government sanctioned pot when they could get it cheaper from their usual source?

Mowich
Conservative

Might let the police concentrate on real crime.

And that would be the Nixon who commissioned one of the most comprehensive reports ever done on marijuana, then promptly threw it in the garbage. Much to his surprise, the report supported decriminalization.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

From the LINK in the O.P.:

They looked at the price of marijuana and research that suggests more than 366,000 people in B.C. use pot to estimate the pot industry is worth between $443 million and $564 million a year.

The researchers also point to data from Washington, which recently held a successful referendum to legalize pot , that suggests the same number of pot smokers in that state could bring in $2.5 billion in taxes over five years in a regulated system.

Anyone else see an issue with the math above? If the pot industry is worth 1/2 a billion
dollars a year...then in five years (just multiple by five) it's worth $2.5 billion.

How do you get $2.5 billion in taxes in five years out'a an industry that's only worth $2.5
billion in five years? Am I reading this wrong or something? The projected tax revenue
would have to assume that there are zero costs, and those involved would expect zero
profit, and would continue to do so year after year solely for the sake of paying everything
into the tax money hole. That's one Hell of a regulated system. Where do I sign up(?).....not.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
I think there will still be bootleggers of pot though. The old booze story tells us that.
Home Brew is purchased because the content is higher just like BC Bud will be more
in demand than government sanctioned grow.
Deregulate except for collecting the tax and let it ride.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

I think there will still be bootleggers of pot though. The old booze story tells us that.
Home Brew is purchased because the content is higher just like BC Bud will be more

I think so too. Some of the current growers & distributors might want even some profit,
which the "regulated system" doesn't seem to account for somehow. Right now they
get all the profit, and with the projected tax yoink in the O.P., They get none, but still
have to go through all of the same work with added rules, paperwork, bureaucracy, etc...

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

I know a couple of people who use medical mj and wish they could go back to their old source, DG. So I would agree with you about BC bud. I support deregulation but not an attempt to legalize - keep the gov out of it.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+1
Oh....I get it now:

The researchers also point to data from Washington, which recently held a successful referendum to legalize pot , that suggests the same number of pot smokers in that state could bring in $2.5 billion in taxes over five years in a regulated system.

Yeah....the "researchers"....where very high when they came up with the projected
tax revenue's above. It's starting to make sense to me now. Yeah....Great Idea! Now
spark up another fatty so we can do some more research!

petros
+2
There are already medical pot shops across Canada paying taxes and so are their growers just like any other business. Tagging a sin tax on it will only keep the underground thriving.

Decriminalization is ONLY answer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Yeah....the "researchers"....where very high when they came up with the projected
tax revenue's above. It's starting to make sense to me now. Yeah....Great Idea! Now

The govt says a pot plant is worth $1000 when they do a bust. An indoor grow-op averages 2oz a plant (if lucky) which is in reality only worth $200-$220 an oz but they don't factor in the 3 months rent, electricty, equipment and fertilizers.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Oh....I get it now:

Honestly Ron, the gov can set the target, and they'll hit it. If they decide to legalize pot, and they want 2.5 billion in tax off 2.5 billion in sales (ie, double the cost), I bet people would still pay it. I bet they could absolutely pull that in. Look at the taxes applied to cigs... people still keep paying.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Honestly Ron, the gov can set the target, and they'll hit it. If they decide to legalize pot, and they want 2.5 billion in tax off 2.5 billion in sales (ie, double the cost), I bet people would still pay it. I bet they could absolutely pull that in. Look at the taxes applied to cigs... people still keep paying.

Thing is, do you have any idea of the REAL cost of cultivating - if it was legal? Most of what one pays on the street is dealer mark-up.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Tax free tobacco isn't hard to come by.

coldstream
+1
This is how the legalization of pot is being sold in the U.S... as a financial boon to cash strapped governments through taxation.

It is EXTREMELY shortsighted. Creating a workforce of cannabis addled zombies is not a way to resolve the economic crisis the West finds itself in. All economies are based on innovation and production.. which are being destroyed now by Free Trade and Monetarism.

Legalizing drugs.. and this is the thin edge of the wedge for total drug legalization.. is just a way of saying we are GIVING UP on an integrated industrial economy and equitably shared prosperity... maybe things will at least look better if we're stoned.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

This is how the legalization of pot is being sold in the U.S... as a financial boon to cash strapped governments through taxation.

It is EXTREMELY shortsighted. Creating a workforce of cannabis addled zombies is not a way to resolve the economic crisis the West finds itself in. All economies are based on innovation and production.. which are being destroyed now by Free Trade and Monetarism.

Legalizing drugs.. and this is the thin edge of the wedge for total drug legalization.. is just a way of saying we are GIVING UP on an integrated industrial economy and equitably shared prosperity... maybe things will at least look better if we're stoned.

What century were you born in? Most junkies and coke heads are professionals. Many people can even function in business being alcoholics. Some people get lazy on pot but more get very creative. Most pot smokers only smoke on the weekend for recreation and relaxation.
I bet you think Reefer Madness was a documentary.

Mowich
Conservative

petros

You don't work in industry do you? If you did you'd know piss tests are pretty much mandatory.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+1

Yeah, the pot smokers I know are ruining this economy. Oh, wait.....real estate agents, lawyers, business owners, scaffolders, truck drivers.....hmmmm....they all seem to manage just fine and actually are quite prosperous despite personal time use of marijuana. In fact, without pot, one of the business owners I know would never be able to function as he does. He's a rageacholic if he isn't smoking a bit. The only time it would be a huge issue is if people were using at work. But that goes for alcohol and other addictions though.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

What century were you born in? Most junkies and coke heads are professionals. Many people can even function in business being alcoholics. Some people get lazy on pot but more get very creative. Most pot smokers only smoke on the weekend for recreation and relaxation.

Reefer Madness Trailer Great marijuana movie - YouTube

coldstream

I was born in the 1950s and was a full participant in the cultural revolution of the 60s and 70s. Part of my prejudice against pot comes from my experience with it, which for a year or two was habitual. Its reputation for producing lethargy, disengagement and disinterest in an active life.. to paranoia.. unto psychosis.. is fully justified imho.

The 'high performing' junkie.. or alcoholic is a MYTH. Someone who is dependent.. define dependence as someone who is in the control of, rather than controlling.. substances, is performing at a fraction of his or her potential. And he is likely wrecking his homelife as well and other relationships and responsibilities. No one gets 'active' on pot.

And i think i saw Reefer Madness when i was high once... i do not believe it turns you into an axe murderer.. i just don't think it turned anyone into some kind of creative genius either.

Nothing good will come of legalizing pot. It'll lead to legalization of all drugs.. and in and of itself it is a drug that curtails human potential.. and unlike alcohol... cannabis users are ALWAYS stoned. It stays in your system that long.
Last edited by coldstream; Nov 24th, 2012 at 02:55 PM..