Idris Elba IS the next James Bond

B00Mer
Idris Elba IS the next James Bond

As Daniel Craig continues to remain silence about whether or not he’ll return for a fifth Bond outing, speculation for a replacement has been hotting up.

Now Idris Elba has caught fans’ attention once again with a blink and you’ll miss it hint in a special new video.

The 44-year-old star recently appeared in a comedy video where he gets dating advice from kids.

Almost three minutes in Elba asks: “If you could be on a Valentine’s Day date with anyone in the world who would it be?”

After a couple of cute answers, one of the children says “James Bond”.

Elba repeats the name in an exclaimed tone before awkwardly looking straight at the camera.

Is Elba trying to tell Bond fans something or is he just kidding around?

Recently a coy Aidan Turner pulled a similar trick by dodging question at the National Television Awards and walking away from a red carpet interview.

Similarly Damian Lewis was asked about rumours surrounding him.

The star said: “By the time they make a decision [on Bond] I’ll be dead. So no one need worry any more.”

Perhaps auditions are going on at MGM, but the actors can’t say anything?

As it stands Aidan Turner, James Norton and Tom Hardy are frontrunners at 3/1.

Meanwhile Elba draw at 8/1 with The Night Manager star Tom Hiddleston.

source

Curious Cdn
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Betcha his Aston Martin gets pulled over all of the time for no reason.

mentalfloss
Who?

Although this could apply to every bond actor.

Blackleaf
Elba isn't the next Bond. He's black for a start. I know it is fashionable nowadays for trendy, right-on theatre companies to have black men - including Elba - playing white men (like Hamlet) in Shakespeare plays, but I can't see a black man playing a white man in the world's greatest film franchise.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

He's black for a start.

...and, what's that got to do with anything?. You racist or something?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

...and, what's that got to do with anything?. You racist or something?

James Bond is white. I know it's all the rage at the moment to have blacks playing whites in Shakespeare plays - such as when Elba played a Scandinavian prince in Hamlet - but this madness has to stop.

Of course, if a white man played a black man in a film or a play there would be outrage and it'd be called "cultural appropriation."

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Betcha his Aston Martin gets pulled over all of the time for no reason.

He'd better not wear a baseball cap while driving and he can forget growing dreads.

James Bond is white. I know it's all the rage at the moment to have blacks playing whites in Shakespeare plays - such as when Elba played a Scandinavian prince in Hamlet - but this madness has to stop.

Of course, if a white man played a black man in a film or a play there would be outrage and it'd be called "cultural appropriation."

Possible exceptions aside, I see nothing wrong with a black man playing a white man in a film; and again possible exceptions aside, I see nothing wrong with a white man playing a black one in a film. The only exceptions that come to mind might be a re-enactment of a real event that aims to reproduce the details of that event.

B00Mer

Was James Bond explicitly described as caucasian in Ian Fleming's books?

In the books he was just described as "Scottish"

But don't get your tightie whities all bunched up.. he may no end up being Bond..

[youtube]kaqKTpEU0e8[/youtube]

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Was James Bond explicitly described as caucasian in Ian Fleming's books?

In the books he was just described as "Scottish"

Au contraire. In the Fleming Bond novels, Bond is explictly described as having pale white skin.

This description is pretty consistent and appears (in some cases several times) in each of the Bond novels.

He had dark, rather cruel good looks and very clear blue-grey eyes that were now observing her inspection sardonically. A scar down his right cheek showed pale against a tan so mild that he must have only recently come to the island.
The skin beneath the eyes that now slowly, mildly, surveyed his colleagues was unpouched. There was no sign of debauchery, illness, or old age on the large, white, bland face under the square, wiry black crew-cut.

He's half-Scottish, half-Swiss. How many black Scots and Swiss have you seen?

Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

He'd better not wear a baseball cap while driving and he can forget growing dreads.

Possible exceptions aside, I see nothing wrong with a black man playing a white man in a film; and again possible exceptions aside, I see nothing wrong with a white man playing a black one in a film. The only exceptions that come to mind might be a re-enactment of a real event that aims to reproduce the details of that event.

So you see nothing wrong in having a black man play a Scandinavian prince?

B00Mer
I'd prefer to see Daniel Craig return for 2 more movies.