Trudeau sounds alarm - Steel, Aluminum Tariffs by US

Murphy
Conservative
The feds should understand negotiations. Are Trudeau's Liberals losing the at the bargaining table too? Are they as incompetent here as they are with international relations?
---

Trudeau sounds alarm
The Canadian Press - Mar 2, 2018

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau describes it as baffling that the United States might be on the verge of using national security as an excuse to impose heavy tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum.

He reacted Friday after the U.S. indicated that it was leaning toward using a rarely invoked provision in American law that allows a president to unilaterally declare tariffs to counter threats to national security.

As the No. 1 supplier of both steel and aluminum to its southern neighbour, Canada is lobbying hard for an exemption. Canada has hinted at retaliatory action, as have the European Union and Mexico in what could morph into a global trade war.

''It just makes no sense to highlight that Canada and Canadian steel or aluminum might be a security threat to the United States,'' Trudeau said during an event in Barrie, Ont.

''That's why this is absolutely unacceptable and it's a point we've made many times, that I've made directly with the president. It's one that we're going continue to engage with all levels of the U.S. administration on.''

That lobbying effort is facing an uphill battle, if signs Friday are any indication.

U.S. President Donald Trump has a campaign-style rally scheduled March 10 in Pennsylvania, which is the historic heart of the American steel industry and which is now the site of an unexpectedly hard-fought special congressional election.

The rest here:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada...u-sounds-alarm

Danbones
Free Thinker
Yes "national security".

Some NATIONS might like to build say a battleship, and would like to not have to ask their enemies for the steel, or oil, or food, or backdoor free chips, or whatever...

Like the U$ HAVING to buy rocket engines from russia...

HaHaHaHaHa! How LIMP is that?

If trudie doesn't get that, we should get a NATIONALIST, not a maurice strong / george soros GLOBALIST (commie), fronting prime minister who does.

pgs
Free Thinker
You are on a roll this morning . Beating Mentalfloss at his own game . Maga .

Murphy
Conservative
+1
It needed to be done.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

You can agree with MF all you want too and (haha ) murph too

maga

Next time we go to war you can walk to it in your trudeau socks.
If the chinese let you have some.

Don't forget to check YOUR phone for those chips too while you are at it.

Murphy
Conservative
Maga

Danbones
Free Thinker
lol You are so smart murph!...and original!

learn that at school?

Betcha you had help.

yeah it would be MaCa where you live...but dream on about THAT ever happening.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
#8  Top Rated Post
I was thinking about this morning all the tariffs are actually going to do is bring U.S. company profits down, the Iron tariff is forcing there companies to buy from Canada @ par with their dollar. Aluminum will still see a 15% savings to U.S. companies. Anybody thinking this will slow the purchases down are just being negative, Canada will just not see an increase of purchase due to a big savings on our devalued dollar.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" - Charles Caleb Colton

Flossy is so in your heads

White_Unifier
+1
The US needs to be careful. If it imposes tariffs on every other country and every other country retaliates against the US, just remember that they'll still be trading with one another. The US will hurt a lot if it goes down that path.

That being said, I would oppose Canada retaliating against the US at all; but if it must retaliate to feel good or to pander to foolish voters, then impose an export tariff by weight and kilowatt. Even that would hurt Canada, but less than other retaliatory actions would in that we'd be making American consumers rather than Canadian ones pay that tax into Canadian revenue.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

I was thinking about this morning all the tariffs are actually going to do is bring U.S. company profits down, the Iron tariff is forcing there companies to buy from Canada @ par with their dollar. Aluminum will still see a 15% savings to U.S. companies. Anybody thinking this will slow the purchases down are just being negative, Canada will just not see an increase of purchase due to a big savings on our devalued dollar.

You're correct, reduced exports to the US will just push other countries' currencies down relative to the US'. Then what? Will the US just raise tariffs even more? It could do that only for so long before no one can afford to buy US products anymore as other currencies keep declining. Meanwhile, US consumers will be paying through the nose for everything. By all means. By all means. That's why Canada need not retaliate.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

The US needs to be careful. If it imposes tariffs on every other country and every other country retaliates against the US, just remember that they'll still be trading with one another. The US will hurt a lot if it goes down that path.

That being said, I would oppose Canada retaliating against the US at all; but if it must retaliate to feel good or to pander to foolish voters, then impose an export tariff by weight and kilowatt. Even that would hurt Canada, but less than other retaliatory actions would in that we'd be making American consumers rather than Canadian ones pay that tax into Canadian revenue.

You're correct, reduced exports to the US will just push other countries' currencies down relative to the US'. Then what? Will the US just raise tariffs even more? It could do that only for so long before no one can afford to buy US products anymore as other currencies keep declining. Meanwhile, US consumers will be paying through the nose for everything. By all means. By all means. That's why Canada need not retaliate.

I agree a retaliation would be silly since this government made a few decisions in 2016 to help de-value our dollar to help spur a surge in manufacturing exports to get us off that dirty petro economy and more of balanced economy. IMO the tariffs are only getting us back to par before the decision of devaluation which is why I say that the tariffs are only cutting into extra profit margins.

Murphy
Conservative
+1
As I've said before, Trump loves to negotiate.

First, he threatened tariffs and let that sink in. Now, he's saying we might escape tariffs. Don't you love negotiations? Those on blood pressure pills here must have been ready to explode. Relax. The talks continue.
---

Canada, Mexico may be exempted from new U.S. steel, aluminum tariffs
New taxes could be introduced this week, White House spokesperson says
-AP

A White House spokesperson and two members of U.S. President Donald Trump's cabinet suggested Wednesday that Canada and Mexico might escape new tariffs on steel and aluminum.

White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Canada and Mexico might get a "carve-out" for reasons of national security, and she said other allies might also ask for one, on a case-by-case basis.

Earlier Wednesday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told reporters that Trump has "indicated a degree of flexibility."

"If we can work something out with Canada and Mexico they will be exempted. It's not inconceivable that others could be exempted on a similar basis," Ross said.

The formal tariff announcement is expected Thursday afternoon. Hawkish White House trade adviser Peter Navarro suggested the exemption would come with a catch. He told Fox Business Channel that, at 3:30 p.m. ET, surrounded by steelworkers in the Oval Office, Trump will sign proclamations that impose tariffs that kick in within 15 to 30 days on most countries.

The rest here:

Canada, Mexico may be exempted from new U.S. steel, aluminum tariffs | CBC News

Murphy
Conservative
What a surprise! I wish Flossy, OB and some others would learn little about the people the continually insult and berate. As I have been saying all along, Trump is a businessman and love the art of the deal.

Presto! No tariff for Canada. Trump's negotiators must be moving toward their goal. Evans, the author of this article, doesn't understand that any negotiation is subject to review or rescission.
---

Canada and Mexico to be exempt from U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum
Both countries could lose their special status if White House changes its mind as NAFTA talks unfold
- Pete Evans, CBC News

Canada and Mexico will be exempt from tariffs on steel and aluminum imported into the United States, but there's no guarantee that will be the case forever.

A little after 3:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, U.S. President Donald Trump signed off on two proclamations taking aim at the imports of two metals where the U.S. economy uses far more than it produces.

"The actions we're taking today are not a matter of choice," Trump said. "They're a matter of necessity for our national security."

One order imposes a 25 per cent tariff on imported steel, while another slaps a 10 per cent levy on aluminum.

"They drove our plants out of business," Trump said, speaking of foreign metal companies that sell their products in the U.S.

Trump first floated the proposal last week, which set off howls of opposition that the moves would kick off a trade war full of reciprocal shots from America's trading partners. The most notable is Canada, which supplies more than a sixth of all the steel that the U.S. uses and more than 40 per cent of its aluminum.

The rest here:

Canada and Mexico to be exempt from U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum - Business - CBC News

petros
Canadian media blew it creating a false panic.

WTG!

Murphy
Conservative
I do not understand why professional negotiators, all of whom know Trump's background, could possibly think that his "threats" were anything other than a bargaining tactic. He has done this in his professional life, and as president. This just proves that the strategy works.

petros
He never made any threats. Cdn media went haywire.

Murphy
Conservative
When I say "threats" I am referring to Trump saying that he would look into tariffs. They would be put into place with Mexico and the US unless the US got a fair deal. They weren't threats in the traditional sense. It was a negotiating strategy.

The media was upset, but no statements from our government were released. That didn't help at all. The closest we got was, "We are still negotiating. We are hopeful that everything will work out for all concerned."

petros
We are already exempt under NAFTA. There never was a threat on Canadian steel or aluminum.

Murphy
Conservative
I think you fail to understand the art of the deal.

The first rule is to establish your dominance in the meeting room. Following that, you suggest that whatever it is that you are negotiating isn't working as it should. It has to be re-examined. If a satisfactory deal cannot be worked out, you will have to back out. Laws mean nothing. Perception of intent is everything.

petros
Not once was Canada brought up by Trump. Not until Canadian media faked enough news for Trump to mention NAFTA.

What's he trying to do? Get Canada to lower our 45.8% steel tarrifs to his 25%?

Murphy
Conservative
They have an agenda. I'm not there to have a peek. More will be revealed in the coming days.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Trump’s new economic adviser called Trudeau a ‘left-wing crazy guy’ — but he sides with Canada on NAFTA, tariffs

Quote:

WASHINGTON—There is good news and bad news for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in U.S. President Donald Trump’s choice for chief economic adviser.
The bad news first. Trump’s new director of the National Economic Council, conservative economic pundit Larry Kudlow, two weeks ago called Trudeau a “left-wing crazy guy.”
The good news, which is probably more important: Kudlow has been a staunch ally of Trudeau’s trade agenda and an enthusiastic advocate of harmonious economic relations with Canada.
In appearances on CNBC business television and on his radio show this month, Kudlow has forcefully defended the North American Free Trade Agreement — “NAFTA going down, which could come after (the steel and aluminum tariffs), would be a terrible thing for our economy,” he said on CNBC on March 2 — and free trade more broadly: “I still feel the more free trade we have, the better we are.”
As Trump was contemplating steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada, Kudlow said on CNBC: “NAFTA is the key. And unfortunately we’re going after a major NAFTA ally, and perhaps America’s greatest ally, namely Canada. Even with this left-wing crazy guy Trudeau, they’re still our pals. They’re still our pals. Why are we going after them? Kudlow is replacing Gary Cohn, another supporter of free trade, who resigned last week after Trump decided to implement the tariffs over his opposition. There had been some concern among Canada’s trade advocates that Trump would replace Cohn with someone more aligned with his own protectionist instincts.
Instead, he chose an ardent free-trader. Kudlow, a proponent of conservative “supply-side” economic theory that favours tax cuts, was an economic official in the Ronald Reagan administration that initiated Canada-U.S. free trade talks.
It is not certain, of course, how much influence Kudlow will have with Trump — nor how forcefully he will press his views on trade. He told the Associated Press on Wednesday that he was “in accord” with Trump on policy, though that was clearly not the case on all issues as recently as last week.“He’s so good on taxes. He’s so good on tax cuts. He’s so good on deregulation, infrastructure. I haven’t liked him on immigration. He’s never been good on trade,” Kudlow said on CNBC on March 2.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Trudeau a ‘left-wing crazy guy’

All one need do is review how he has acted on the international stage to agree with this statement

coldstream
+1
I saw Trump's comments to Justin about the U.S. being in a trade deficit with Canada, which is incorrect, at least in the broadest sense of the term and including all resources, goods and services. Canada is in a net deficit in trade with the U.S..

It sounds like Trudeau didn't press that case even though Trump is musing about putting punitive tarriffs on Canadian imports. Justin just fluttered, groveled and postured as is his habit.

These trade negotiations are likely to be a disaster. Justin is always on the defensive, clueless, visionless and will be continually outflanked by Trump. We should be aiming to use this as an opportunity to refocus trade on value added product, instead of unprocessed raw material (like crude oil) to reestablish an integrated national industrial economy.. rather than as a colonial outpost of the American economy.

But Trudeau is just an effeminate, pie eyed nitwit. I know he'll sell us out. Trump is a panther waiting to pounce on a fluffy little bunny rabbit like Justin.
Last edited by coldstream; Mar 15th, 2018 at 01:16 PM..

Hoid
Trudeau would literally kick his ass

Murphy
Conservative
+1
Of course he would, sweetie. Lunch time already?
---

The art of the deal. Trump is bargaining from a position of power. He knows what he wants, and the deal will favour the US.

coldstream
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Trudeau a ‘left-wing crazy guy’

All one need do is review how he has acted on the international stage to agree with this statement

Kudlow is a classic NeoCon. I don't know why Trump appoints these globalist economic liberals as Economic Advisors... like the little lamented Gary Cohn. I get the feeling its just about window dressing because we all know Trump doesn't take their advice. I suspect Kudlow will find himself sidelined like Cohn.. and unconventional nationalists like Navarro will have Trump's ear.

Hoid
Could it be that Trump is an idiot?

Murphy
Conservative
+1
Falling asleep in geography class, sweetie? PM me and I'll send some reading suggestions for the classes that bore you.

When I was younger, we had a wonderful book series abut boys your age who were detectives! The Hardy Boys.

It seems Trump has Trudeau on the ropes.
---

Trudeau dodged Trump's steel tariffs with frantic lobbying — now he's angling to save NAFTA

Canada's NAFTA push mirrors its tariff push -- call as many people as you can, and allies indicate all that pressure seems to be working

Donald Trump is already taking up a lot of Justin Trudeau’s bandwidth. Steel tariffs sent it to another level.

The Canadian prime minister is on an impromptu tour of steel and aluminum country this week, a denim-clad, open-collared victory lap with workers after Canada and Mexico were excluded from new U.S. tariffs. The exemption came after frenzied lobbying by the Trudeau government, throughout Washington and as far away as Seoul and Berlin.

On tariffs, as with renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canada’s strategy with Trump has been to play nice and cultivate allies far and wide. It hasn’t been painless, as Canada’s dollar and business sentiment slump. The question for Trudeau is whether he can keep pressure up to secure a permanent exemption from Trump’s levies and seal a NAFTA deal before Mexican and U.S. elections upend the political climate.

Trudeau dodged Trump’s steel tariffs with frantic lobbying

There is panic in Ottawa.

petros
+1
There never was a threat.