Ovechkin's quest to break Gretzky's Goal Record

Girth
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Ovechkin had 8 goals in the past three games, to pass Mario Lemieux, and tie Steve Yzerman for #9 overall in all time NHL goals. Ovechkin is 34, putting up great numbers, and has never missed time due to injuries. He needs 202 goals to tie Gretzky's record. If he plays until 40, my guess is he would have to average 36 goals/season from 2020-25.

Can OV do it?

Girth
+1
Ovechkin has passed Mark Messier on the all-time goals list, and is now has scored the 8th most goals in NHL history. As of today, he is 34, and needs exactly 200 goals to beat the record, held by Gretzky (894).

Girth
+1
Alexander the Great with a hat trick!!!

40 goals for the season, and 698 for his career. He is two away from the 700 club!

petros
It will take him another 7 years at 35ish some goals a season to tie Wayne.

Girth
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It will take him another 7 years at 35ish some goals a season to tie Wayne.

Actually less than 6 years.

7 x 35 = 245
6 x 35 = 210
5 x 35 = 175

I am assuming Ovechkin will be at 710 by the end of this season...

If OV has another couple of 50+ Goal seasons, and it is theoretically possible considering he is not slowing down with age, and has been injury free during his career, he could eclipse Gretzky's record by 2024.

Gretzky's record will be tough to catch, but if I were a betting man, I have no doubt Ovechkin will pass Gordie Howe (801), and become 2nd overall in goals in the not too distant future.

petros
If his knees hold out there is nothing stopping him.

Walter
Records are made to be broken.

Girth
Ovechkin with goal #699.

Look at Ovi to break the record this weekend against the Jets.

Girth
The great Ovechkin scored his 700th goal today, becoming the 8th player in NHL history to do so. Ovechkin heeds 9 more goals to pass Mike Gartner, and 18 to pass Phil Esposito. The fact that Ovechkin has not slowed down with age (he is 34), likely means he should reach the 800 goal mark by 2022-23.