'A KIND SOUL': Politicians mourn former Liberal MPP David Caplan
Canadian Press
Postmedia News
Published:
July 25, 2019
Updated:
July 25, 2019 6:56 PM EDT
Former Ontario health minister David Caplan. Postmedia files
The death of former Ontario health minister David Caplin is not being treated as a police matter, according to the Toronto Police Service.
Toronto Police told the Toronto Sun Thursday there is nothing suspicious about Caplan’s death, noting when someone dies, it is considered a “sudden death.”
Caplan was 54. An official cause of death has yet to be released.
Politicians of all stripes, meanwhile, expressed shock and sadness Thursday at the death of former provincial health minister David Caplan, a recent colleague they described as a dedicated and hard-working public servant.
Premier Doug Ford offered his condolences via Twitter to the Liberal politician’s family and friends, thanking Caplan for his service to the province. Several others in Ford’s cabinet also paid tribute.
I’m sad to learn that David Caplan passed away. Too young. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. I’m grateful to David for his years of service to our province and his community. #Onpoli
— Doug Ford (@fordnation) July 25, 2019
Health Minister Christine Elliott called the news “tremendously sad,” while Lisa MacLeod, the minister of tourism, reminisced about their many years serving together.
Tremendously sad news to learn of the passing of David Caplan, a former Minister of Health. David was a dedicated and honourable public servant. My condolences to the Caplan family and their many friends.
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) July 25, 2019
“When he left politics, we on occasion would grab a coffee,” MacLeod said in a tweet. “He was a good public servant, a kind soul and he is gone much too soon.”
My sincere condolences to the family of former MPP and Ontario Cabinet Minister David Caplan. David and I served together for many years – when he left politics we on occasion would grab a coffee. He was a good public servant, a kind soul and he is gone much too soon.
— Lisa MacLeod (@MacLeodLisa) July 25, 2019
Caplan was 54. His cause of death on Wednesday was not immediately known.
I am shocked and saddened to learn of David Caplan’s death. He was a friend and a colleague. Love and condolences to David’s family.
— Kathleen Wynne (@Kathleen_Wynne) July 25, 2019
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath also offered her sympathies on Twitter, saying Caplan had died “far too young.”
Caplan’s Liberal colleagues praised the politician they called a member of their family.
“David cared deeply about his community and was a strong voice for his constituents. His passion was public service,” interim Liberal leader John Fraser said in a statement. “David will be greatly missed by his Ontario Liberal family. Our heart goes out to his wife, Leigh and two sons, Benjamin and Jacob, during this difficult time.”
I'm gutted to hear the news of the passing of David Caplan, my friend and former liberal cabinet minister. He and I worked together when I became Minister of Infrastructure. He served there for years and gave me such great advice in the early days. Prayers for the Caplan family.
— Monte McNaughton (@MonteMcNaughton) July 25, 2019
Liberal politician Michael Coteau said he knew Caplan as a “hard-working, caring man” with deep ties to the community in Don Valley East, the riding Caplan represented and Coteau currently holds.
“He knew people by name, spent a long time at the door trying to solve people’s problems, and was always a hard worker for the community we served,” Coteau said in a statement.
Caplan was first elected in 1997 and served in Dalton McGuinty’s cabinet when the Liberals rose to power in 2003.
Shocked and deeply saddened to learn that my dear friend David Caplan has passed away. A good man who served the public with distinction and integrity. Gone way too soon but will always be remembered and missed. #onpoli
— Steven Del Duca (@StevenDelDuca) July 25, 2019
He was forced out as health minister in 2009 over the eHealth scandal in which millions of dollars went to consultants with government ties, and over expense account abuses. Many felt Caplan had been treated unfairly, particularly since most of the abuses at the agency took place under his predecessor.
Caplan, who also served as infrastructure minister, remained in office until 2011, when he and several other prominent Liberals chose not to run for re-election.
His mother, Elinor Caplan, was also a veteran politician, both federally and at the provincial level — where she, too, served as health minister.
I am very saddened to learn of the death of David Caplan. I served with him in the legislature & while he was an energetic partisan, he served with diligence & determination. On behalf of City Council & the people of Toronto, I extend my sincere condolences to the Caplan family.
— John Tory (@JohnTory) July 25, 2019
Sad and breathless on news of the loss of @davidcaplan my heart goes out to his family. He rebuilt so much of Ontario.
— George Smitherman (@G_Smitherman) July 25, 2019
I was shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my friend and former colleague David Caplan. I had the opportunity to work closely with him over many years. My condolences to his entire family.#onpoli
— DwightDuncan (@DwightDuncan) July 25, 2019
Shocked to hear of the passing of David Caplan. Such a sudden and sad loss for Ontario.
— Joe Cressy (@joe_cressy) July 25, 2019
Shocked and saddened to hear of the loss of David Caplan. RIP David, you are a one of a kind
— Sandra Pupatello (@SandraPupatello) July 25, 2019
Sad to hear about David Caplan's passing — far too young. My condolences to his family and all who knew and loved him.
— Andrea Horwath (@AndreaHorwath) July 25, 2019
http://torontosun.com/news/provincia...id-caplan-dies

spaminator
Cops probing sudden death of former MPP David Caplan
Canadian Press
Published:
July 26, 2019
Updated:
July 26, 2019 11:53 AM EDT
Former Ontario health minister David Caplan. Postmedia files
Toronto Police are investigating a sudden death at a north Toronto home that belongs to former provincial health minister David Caplan.
Caplan died this week at age 54. No cause of death has been released.
Police spokesman Const. Jenifferjit Sidhu says such investigations take place any time someone is found dead, and there is no information at this time to suggest the death is suspicious.
‘A KIND SOUL’: Politicians mourn former Liberal MPP David Caplan
She did not identify the deceased and says an autopsy is required to establish the cause of death.
Toronto Fire Services, which are investigating the sudden death alongside police, say they were called to Caplan’s home on Wednesday at 9:37 p.m. for a medical emergency.
A spokesman for Toronto paramedics says emergency crews transported a man with life-threatening injuries to hospital around that time.
Kim McKinnon could not confirm the exact address where they picked up the man but says the closest intersection matches that of Caplan’s home.
http://torontosun.com/news/provincia...p-david-caplan

spaminator
Family of late politician David Caplan says he died after a 'fire accident'
Canadian Press
Published:
July 27, 2019
Updated:
July 27, 2019 1:34 PM EDT
Health and Long Term Care Minister David Caplan attends a news conference in Toronto on Tuesday October 7, 2008. Ontario Premier Doug Ford says former provincial health minister David Caplan has died. The Liberal politician was first elected in 1997 and served until 2011, when he chose not to run for re-election.FRANK GUNN / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Former provincial health minister David Caplan died after a “tragic fire accident” in his north Toronto home, according to his family.
“We are deeply saddened and shocked by his sudden death. He was 54 and left us much too soon,” said a statement from the family.
Earlier this week, Toronto Police launched a sudden death investigation. On Saturday they said the death is not considered suspicious, but the investigation is ongoing.
Toronto Fire Services, which are investigating the incident alongside police, said they were called to Caplan’s home on Wednesday night.
Toronto paramedics have said emergency crews transported a man with life-threatening injuries to hospital.
Police spokeswoman Const. Allyson Douglas-Cook said an autopsy was conducted Friday but the results have not been released.
Caplan’s family said the late Liberal politician “fought tirelessly” for social justice across Ontario.
“David had a special ability to bring people together to focus on what we have in common rather than what keeps us apart,” said the family statement.
“While David was a public champion to so many people in this community and across the province, to us he was part of a large, but tightly knit and loving family.”
Caplan served in Dalton McGuinty’s cabinet when the Liberals rose to power in 2003.
He was forced out as health minister in 2009 over the eHealth scandal in which millions of dollars went to consultants with government ties, and over expense account abuses. Many felt Caplan had been treated unfairly, particularly since most of the abuses at the agency took place under his predecessor.
Caplan, who also served as infrastructure minister, remained in office until 2011, when he and several other prominent Liberals chose not to run for re-election.
Politicians of all stripes have described him as a dedicated and hard-working public servant.
Caplan’s funeral will be held Sunday morning.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...-fire-accident

MHz
The 'firing pin' worked as intended and the guy behind paid the price of being behind.