Mayor refuses to remove swastikas from park


tay
#1
Canadian village has refused to remove swastikas from a local park after an activist tried to paint over the controversial symbols.

The Nazi emblems are on an anchor that is on display in Pointe-des-Cascades, about 50 miles west of Montreal in Quebec.

Corey Fleischer, founder of a group called Erasing Hate, was trying to paint over the symbols last Thursday when he was stopped by the local mayor, Gilles Santerre, who called police to have him removed from the park.

Stressing it was part of the area's local history, he said the anchor, which belonged to a merchant vessel, predated the Second World War and was discovered by divers 25 years ago.

He cited a Radio Canada article that said the swastika was a symbol of peace before 1920.

The mayor sad the symbols would not be removed, but promised to place a more descriptive plaque next to the anchor to clarify its history.

Mr Fleischer, who believes the anchor should be in a museum, acknowledged the swastika was originally a religious icon that represented good luck.

But ever since the Nazis subverted its meaning he said there is no place for it in a public park.

"It is no longer a sign of peace. It is no longer a sign of joy," he told CBC.

"There is no ifs ands or buts about it," he told the BBC. "It is a place where people come to feel safe and this is being displayed for everybody to see."

David Ouellette, of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said Mr Fleischer should not have acted without consulting the village but said it was important the anchor's history was made clear to the public.

"If you're going to display publicly the swastika, it's important to give the full context," Mr Ouellette told the CBC.

picture of anchor

Canadian town refuses to remove swastikas from park as mayor defends local history
 
Serryah
+3
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Canadian village has refused to remove swastikas from a local park after an activist tried to paint over the controversial symbols.

The Nazi emblems are on an anchor that is on display in Pointe-des-Cascades, about 50 miles west of Montreal in Quebec.

Corey Fleischer, founder of a group called Erasing Hate, was trying to paint over the symbols last Thursday when he was stopped by the local mayor, Gilles Santerre, who called police to have him removed from the park.

Stressing it was part of the area's local history, he said the anchor, which belonged to a merchant vessel, predated the Second World War and was discovered by divers 25 years ago.

He cited a Radio Canada article that said the swastika was a symbol of peace before 1920.

The mayor sad the symbols would not be removed, but promised to place a more descriptive plaque next to the anchor to clarify its history.

Mr Fleischer, who believes the anchor should be in a museum, acknowledged the swastika was originally a religious icon that represented good luck.

But ever since the Nazis subverted its meaning he said there is no place for it in a public park.

"It is no longer a sign of peace. It is no longer a sign of joy," he told CBC.

"There is no ifs ands or buts about it," he told the BBC. "It is a place where people come to feel safe and this is being displayed for everybody to see."

David Ouellette, of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said Mr Fleischer should not have acted without consulting the village but said it was important the anchor's history was made clear to the public.

"If you're going to display publicly the swastika, it's important to give the full context," Mr Ouellette told the CBC.

picture of anchor

Canadian town refuses to remove swastikas from park as mayor defends local history

"It is no longer a sign of peace..."

For hundreds of years before Hitler, it was.

Then he stole it, and in six years it became a twisted sign of hate.

Since then those who follow his views have kept it to mean that.

But why SHOULDN'T we try to take it back? Why SHOULDN'T people try to say "No, this was meant to be this, you can't have it to mean hate anymore?"

I think the people of the town have the right idea. Put up a plaque explaining the symbol better but leave it where it is.
 
Blackleaf
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
The Left are currently going all-out to erase much of our cultural heritage.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

"It is no longer a sign of peace..."

For hundreds of years before Hitler, it was.

Then he stole it, and in six years it became a twisted sign of hate.

Since then those who follow his views have kept it to mean that.

But why SHOULDN'T we try to take it back? Why SHOULDN'T people try to say "No, this was meant to be this, you can't have it to mean hate anymore?"

I think the people of the town have the right idea. Put up a plaque explaining the symbol better but leave it where it is.

Twelve. 1933-1945.
 
Danbones
+2
#5
Right... the next step for the left will be to start erasing people
AGAIN
 
Curious Cdn
+1 / -1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

The Left are currently going all-out to erase much of our cultural heritage.

Wearing swastikas is a part of your cultural heritage? I night have guessed.
 
Tecumsehsbones
-1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Wearing swastikas is a part of your cultural heritage? I night have guessed.

Why guess? Blackshirt has made his white supremacist views well known.
 
Curious Cdn
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Why guess? Blackshirt has made his white supremacist views well known.

We're looking for PROOF, man PROOF! Views just don't cut it.
 
Jinentonix
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Wearing swastikas is a part of your cultural heritage? I night have guessed.

It is for many Indians who come here. Or don't you agree with multiculturalism?

Should we change the name of the town of Swastika, ON even though the town was founded in 1908?
 
Curious Cdn
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

It is for many Indians who come here. Or don't you agree with multiculturalism?

Should we change the name of the town of Swastika, ON even though the town was founded in 1908?

You just go right ahead and wear your swastikas proudly.


... and your red ball cap, too.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

It is for many Indians who come here. Or don't you agree with multiculturalism?

Should we change the name of the town of Swastika, ON even though the town was founded in 1908?

You think Blackshirt is Indian?

[youtube]oAKG-kbKeIo[/youtube]
 
Curious Cdn
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You think Blackshirt is Indian?

Hopefully, they'll get a laundromat on the Blackshirt Res , some day.
 
Jinentonix
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You think Blackshirt is Indian?

[youtube]oAKG-kbKeIo[/youtube]

Nope. And there's absolutely no Indians at all living in Canada, Britain, the US, etc etc, who have become part of the cultural background of those countries. It's going to be interesting the day some left-wing hate monger assaults an Indian over a swastika tattoo or something.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Nope. And there's absolutely no Indians at all living in Canada, Britain, the US, etc etc, who have become part of the cultural background of those countries. It's going to be interesting the day some left-wing hate monger assaults an Indian over a swastika tattoo or something.

OK, so as I understand it, your usual bellow about how immigrants should assimilate and adopt the language, customs, and culture of their new country has an exception for the Hackenkreuz?

Sounds good to me.
 
Jinentonix
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

You just go right ahead and wear your swastikas proudly.


... and your red ball cap, too.

See, you're part of the idiot problem. The swastika has been a symbol of peace, good luck and positivity for 11,000 years but you're going to let 12 years of some asshole co-opting the symbol for his own nefarious purposes dictate the meaning to you. "Duhh, I'm easily influenced by co-opted symbolism, duhhh". Nazi Germany also used the Eagle in their symbolism. This is Hitler's personal standard.



I guess the US needs to lose their eagle next since it's obviously a symbol of nazism.

Or you could have simply answered the legitimate question I asked instead of trying and failing miserably to be a smart ass.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

OK, so as I understand it, your usual bellow about how immigrants should assimilate and adopt the language, customs, and culture of their new country has an exception for the Hackenkreuz?

Sounds good to me.

Getting rid of the eagle as your national symbol anytime soon? No? Then thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you including a home version of the game.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post


I guess the US needs to lose their eagle next since it's obviously a symbol of nazism.

This is high-larious! Your ongoing and utterly doomed attempt to defend the Nazis just gets more and more desperate.
 
Serryah
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Twelve. 1933-1945.

I stand corrected.
 
Danbones
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Wearing swastikas is a part of your cultural heritage? I night have guessed.

Don't go to India dude
you'll have a melt down for sure

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

This is high-larious! Your ongoing and utterly doomed attempt to defend the Nazis just gets more and more desperate.

It's your eagle
Say, how many countries has the US invaded or trashed their democratic governments based on truth in the last 100 years?
lol: none

How many have they done based on BULLSH!T?
Every single one they have attacked.

lol...
In relative terms nazi Germany was small time.
 
White_Unifier
#19
Inasmuch as I often disagree with Blackleaf, I will agree with him on this one. The Swastika far predates Nazism, Europeans wore it as a symbol of god luck (and some British women even had it embroidered into their wedding gowns, Rudyard Kipling decorated at least one of his books with it, and American women wore it on hats. Some Hindus still use it as a good luck symbol and one Canadian village is still called Swastika to this day.

I don't care much for the Swastika myself so wouldn't care to put much effort in defending it. But depending on the details, I probably wouldn't be so quick to judge a person wearing a Swastika independently of other factors. Again, depending on the context.
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#20
Isn't there an angle difference between the 2 symbols as well?



 
White_Unifier
#21
Perhaps, but I think the Nazi one was ripped off from the pre-Nazi European Swastika, not the Hindu one.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Isn't there an angle difference between the 2 symbols as well?

The swastika can also have the arms going in the other direction.

But no, the Hackenkreuz need not be angled.

 
Johnnny
#23
All this talk about swastikas and not one mention of the town of Swastika, Ontario.

You city folk need to get out more...
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

All this talk about swastikas and not one mention of the town of Swastika, Ontario.

You city folk need to get out more...

You need to read more carefully. Swastika ON has been mentioned at least once before.
 
Johnnny
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You need to read more carefully. Swastika ON has been mentioned at least once before.

Damnit i just seen it too. 5 hours ago. Stupid gin and tonic, spiking my punch!!!
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Damnit i just seen it too. 5 hours ago. Stupid gin and tonic, spiking my punch!!!

Switch to tequila.
 
Jinentonix
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

This is high-larious! Your ongoing and utterly doomed attempt to defend the Nazis just gets more and more desperate.

Here, let me repeat what I said to Curious Cnd with some appropriate emphasis.
Quote:

See, you're part of the idiot problem. The swastika has been a symbol of peace, good luck and positivity for 11,000 years but you're going to let 12 years of some asshole co-opting the symbol for his own nefarious purposes dictate the meaning to you.

If calling them assholes and nefarious is your idea of defending them, I sure as f*ck hope you weren't a public defender.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

OK, so as I understand it, your usual bellow about how immigrants should assimilate and adopt the language, customs, and culture of their new country has an exception for the Su-Asti,?

Fixed that for you. Feel free to look up the meaning.
 
darkbeaver
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Twelve. 1933-1945.

The good old days.
 
Curious Cdn
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You need to read more carefully. Swastika ON has been mentioned at least once before.

Did anyone mention Einsatzgruppe, Ontario? It's way, way up north at the end of an abandoned railway siding.
 
Cliffy
#30