The End of the Grizzly Hunt is Nigh

bill barilko
Can't say I'm sad to see it go

Future of B.C.'s grizzly trophy hunt uncertain as fall hunt approaches
NDP promised to end the controversial hunt, but few details on how and when the ban would be implemented

A grizzly bear is seen fishing for salmon along the Atnarko river in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park near Bella Coola, B.C.

The NDP promised to end B.C.'s grizzly bear trophy hunt, but with the September hunt rapidly approaching there are few details to explain how or when that would happen.

B.C.'s grizzly bear trophy hunt allows both resident and non-resident hunters to purchase a licence to hunt a grizzly bear for sport according to a predetermined quota.

Licence cost varies according to whether the hunter is a B.C. resident ($80) or not ($1000). Non-residents are also required to employ a registered guide outfitter. The trophy hunt takes place in the spring and fall.

Last November, Premier John Horgan made a campaign promise he would end the controversial hunt, promising full protection for the "majestic animals."

But with the hunt scheduled in September, the deadline to pass a ban is imminent.

Political flashpoint

The former Liberal government maintained the hunt has a positive economic impact supporting local outfitters and tourist operations and that the grizzly population is healthy enough to absorb the hunt.

Mark Werner, the vice-president of the Guide Outfitters Association of B.C., said the hunt is an important part of the province's heritage.

"This country and this province [were] built on trapping, hunting and fishing," he said. "We have a lot of heritage here. We have a lot of culture here."

B.C. NDP leader John Horgan promised to end the practice of grizzly bear trophy hunting in November 2016

But the hunt has been less popular with other groups.

Last June, at the request of the David Suzuki Foundation and the University of Victoria Environmental Law Centre, the auditor general set out to investigate whether the government was setting appropriate bear quotas.

Last August, the Coastal First Nations an alliance of nine First Nations along the central and north B.C. coast and Haida Gwaii declared their own ban on the hunt in the Great Bear Rainforest calling the trophy hunt "disrespectful."

Both the NDP and the Greens made promises to end the trophy hunt during the election campaign.

Even the Liberals shifted their position slightly, promising to eliminate the trophy hunt within the Great Bear Rainforest.

Details unclear, but optimism abounds

Kitasoo Band Chief Councillor Doug Neasloss, a representative for the Coastal First Nations, says he's optimistic about the NDP's promise to end the hunt.

"We certainly don't want to see another hunt go forward this fall and so I think we'll do as much as we can," he said.

B.C. Green MLA Adam Olsen also expressed optimism the NDP government would move to end the hunt.

"The government was sworn in last week and the issue binders must be very thick," he said.

"I don't know what their timeline is ... [but] certainly from my perspective, I'd like to see it go as far as it can go."

A spokesperson for the Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development told CBC News the party is still committed to ending the trophy hunt and will be consulting with stakeholders, although they couldn't say when the ban would be implemented.

Curious Cdn
+2
Who the hell hunts Grizzlies? American trophy hunters with pockets for of dough? I get it when a troublesome bear is put down but hunting grizzlies ... that sounds like entertainment for the "wee willy" crowd.

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Who the hell hunts Grizzlies? American trophy hunters with pockets for of dough? I get it when a troublesome bear is put down but hunting grizzlies ... that sounds like entertainment for the "wee willy" crowd.

You should see them destroy the pickeral up north here, its sickening...

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

You should see them destroy the pickeral up north here, its sickening...

There are no Grizzlies east of the Cyprus Hills in Sasketatchewan.

Twila
oh come on! srsly, what's more manly then spraying yourself with bear piss, wearing camouflage clothing and sporting a large gun and traipsing through the woods to hunt an animal that can't smell, see or hear you and that you won't eat? / sarcasm

not very sporting really.

Curious Cdn
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

oh come on! srsly, what's more manly then spraying yourself with bear piss, wearing camouflage clothing and sporting a large gun and traipsing through the woods to hunt an animal that can't smell, see or hear you and that you won't eat? / sarcasm

not very sporting really.

It should only be allowed while armed with a five-inch knife ... make it a fair fight.

White_Unifier

It should only be allowed while armed with a five-inch knife ... make it a fair fight.

A grizzly? Allow Kung fu weapons at least.

Johnnny
+1

There are no Grizzlies east of the Cyprus Hills in Sasketatchewan.

By them i meant Americans. Next time I'll spell it out for you. Would you prefer crayon?

Curious Cdn

By them i meant Americans. Next time I'll spell it out for you. Would you prefer crayon?

Try English, for starters ...

Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

A grizzly? Allow Kung fu weapons at least.

Try staring one down, Grasshopper.

See ya.

White_Unifier

Try English, for starters ...

Try staring one down, Grasshopper.

See ya.

Would a grizzly outrun a bicycle? without initial momentum, you're done for. But supposing you already have momentum on a moderate downhill incline?

taxslave
More jobs lost to a greendp government. I am not in favor of trophy hunting but it does bring lots of money into areas where jobs are scarce.

White_Unifier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

More jobs lost to a greendp government. I am not in favor of trophy hunting but it does bring lots of money into areas where jobs are scarce.

The Netherland's liberal prostitution and other policies undoubtedly bring in much money too. How about BC completely deregulate prostitution, drugs, gambling, etc. and then it will experience an economic boom. Just close your eyes to the social cost though. Money comes first.

We don't allow the senseless slaughter of bears just for economic growth.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Jul 25th, 2017 at 08:04 PM..

taxslave
+1

The Netherland's liberal prostitution and other policies undoubtedly bring in much money too. How about BC completely deregulate prostitution, drugs, gambling, etc. and BS will experience an economic boom. Just close your eyes to the social cost though. Money comes first.

We don't allow the senseless slaughter of bears just for economic growth.

I bet the social cost of prostitution in the Netherlands is far less than places where it is illegal.

What other reason is there for trophy hunting than economic growth? Or catch and release fishing for that matter.

White_Unifier
+1

I bet the social cost of prostitution in the Netherlands is far less than places where it is illegal.

What other reason is there for trophy hunting than economic growth? Or catch and release fishing for that matter.

I think allowing only kung fu weapons would make it far more entertaining, don't you think? By putting man and beast on a more equal footing, we could now place bets.

Curious Cdn
+3
#15  Top Rated Post

Would a grizzly outrun a bicycle? without initial momentum, you're done for. But supposing you already have momentum on a moderate downhill incline?

They can outrun a car if they're really pissed off but I suppose that you would have enough momentum to get away from one if you jumped off of a cliff.

White_Unifier

They can outrun a car if they're really pissed off but I suppose that you would have enough momentum to get away from one if you jumped off of a cliff.

With that fur, even if they could outrun us, I imagine they'd overheat sooner too. So supposing a steep smooth incline for the bicycle to really pick up speed and a major head-start to boot. Maybe.

Curious Cdn
+1

With that fur, even if they could outrun us, I imagine they'd overheat sooner too. So supposing a steep smooth incline for the bicycle to really pick up speed and a major head-start to boot. Maybe.

They are VERY tough animals. Nobody makes Grizzly Teddys to stick in Junior's crib.

White_Unifier
+1
Even with the best kung fu weapons, anyone wanting to take on a grizzly would have to have nerves of steel to do so. No more cowardly hiding behind a rifle.

Cliffy
Open season on all trophy hunters. That might discourage them damn Yankies with tiny dicks.

Guiders and outfitters can change to hunting with a camera only.

Twila
From several close encounter accounts all you really have to do is give them a good punch on the nose. Unless it is a momma bear protecting cubs, cause then you have to curl up to protect your vitals and hope she will recognize your submission before she kills you. Luck. Best to avoid encounters by being noisy as f.

B00Mer
Anyone remember this..in Alberta, Canada - Josh Bowmar American trophy hunter.

Where he let the bear suffer and die slowly over night..

Come back to Canada and you may be the hunted..

[youtube]vVR4wFtRg74[/youtube]

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Guiders and outfitters can change to hunting with a camera only.

Who can get the better/closer picture AND survive. Thats a sport. That'd show who had the biggest cajones. Killing something from a distance that had no real chance and that your not going to eat is retarded and pitiful.

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Anyone remember this..in Alberta, Canada - Josh Bowmar American trophy hunter.

Where he let the bear suffer and die slowly over night..

Come back to Canada and you may be the hunted..

[youtube]vVR4wFtRg74[/youtube]

Tie him to a tree naked, rub honey all over him and leave him there overnight. If he survives, well.....

B00Mer
[youtube]VECdv0JYwqQ[/youtube]

...another reason to love Muslims..

https://tinyurl.com/y82xtw8g

I would pay money out of my pocket to have some of those Pakistani Muzzy pigs tied up and tore to bits by dogs..

Johnnny

Im not a fan of Trophy hunting or fishing neither and what pisses me off more about it are the Americans and Chinese from out of country that use trophy hunting and fishing as an excuse to be excessive, wasteful, and destructive. Also closing off entire lakes to the public just so some foreign national can fish it is just stupid.

petros

Im not a fan of Trophy hunting or fishing neither and what pisses me off more about it are the Americans and Chinese from out of country that use trophy hunting and fishing as an excuse to be excessive, wasteful, and destructive. Also closing off entire lakes to the public just so some foreign national can fish it is just stupid.

The hunting and fishing industry will continue to thrive without "trophy" species.

These days the trophy is the selfie before you release the fish.

Twin_Moose
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Who can get the better/closer picture AND survive. Thats a sport. That'd show who had the biggest cajones. Killing something from a distance that had no real chance and that your not going to eat is retarded and pitiful.

You do realise that a lot of people do eat Bear meat, not just to you but all that are raging against hunting poor helpless animals, do you eat any farmed meat? and do you know how they are killed? But if the Grizzly bear hunts are shut down I hope they are shut down to all hunters including FN people, just to be fair.

petros
Believe it or not you need a hunting license to photograph game.

Twin_Moose
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The hunting and fishing industry will continue to thrive without "trophy" species.

The local industry will survive the non resident industry will die, they are coming up for the chance to bag something bigger than they can get at home, it doesn't have to be the next world record but it is the dream that it could be.

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

That's the way to go man.

I hear too that the synthetic trophies they have for fishing look just as real as the"stuffed" fish done by taxidermists.