Karla Homolka volunteered at Montreal elementary school: Report


spaminator
#1
Karla Homolka volunteered at Montreal elementary school: Report
By Joe Warmington , Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 08:41 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 09:39 PM EDT
Even Doug French admits news that Karla Homolka is allowed to volunteer with kids at a Montreal school should have been like a punch in the gut for him.
But it wasn’t.
“That’s who she is,” the father of slain Kristen French said somberly from his St. Catharines home Tuesday night.
While he doesn’t like it one bit, French said he’s not shocked one of his daughter’s killers is getting another break. He has seen it before.
“We have known about it for a while,” said French. “Nothing surprises me at all.”
Although concerns were expressed about Homolka’s freedoms and activities, “we were told there’s nothing that could be done about it. They said she’s done her time, she served her 12 years for manslaughter and she has her own kids now and that she’s a free woman.”
Homolka served 12 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the deaths of two school girls. Her ex-husband, Paul Bernardo, is serving a life sentence for his role in multiple rapes and homicides.
Homolka volunteered at her children’s elementary school in Notre-Dame-de-Grace last March, according to a report by the Montreal edition of Breakfast Television .
Homolka reportedly supervised kindergarten children from Montreal’s Greaves Adventist Academy on a field trip in March and once brought her dog to the school for students to pet. The academy, a private Christian school, was aware of Homolka’s criminal past before she started volunteering there.
French said he does not begrudge Homolka’s children having their mother’s time and he understands her desire to want to be part of it.
As even-tempered and calm as French was about it, the lawyer who represents him and his wife, Donna, as well as slain Leslie Mahaffy’s family was outraged and livid by this report.
“My initial reaction it is appalls me,” said lawyer Tim Danson. “I have always said, she’s a psychopath who got away with murder.”
But she is one, he said, who keeps on getting around the rules.
A lot of his feeling on that comes from the family’s quarter century of suffering.
“It is very difficult to see her life being so unaffected while my clients have to go though life with pain and despair that is unimaginable,” said Danson. “It’s not easy for these families to struggle like they do when Karla Homolka goes on a lives a normal life.”
Of course, he is right.
jwarmington@postmedia.com
Karla Homolka volunteered at Montreal elementary school: Report | WARMINGTON | C
 
justlooking
#2
Damn, I used to live about 4 blocks away from that school.

Everyone knows Karla got off lightly, probably by selling Paul down the river.
But she has done the time given to her, and if she complies with the current rules, people are complaining for nothing.
 
EagleSmack
#3
So this is why some tards get to lecture about the US Justice System... you let all of your murderers free.
 
Twila
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

So this is why some tards get to lecture about the US Justice System... you let all of your murderers free.

ALL of them.
 
Curious Cdn
#5
I used to live in that very neighbourhood. I went to University a short walk down the road from that school.
 
Murphy
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
She did her time. What do you think, legally speaking, should have been done? She's untouchable.

I understand the distress people are feeling. I'm not happy with it myself, but there are no other legal avenues to pursue.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

She did her time. What do you think, legally speaking, should have been done? She's untouchable.

I understand the distress people are feeling. I'm not happy with it myself, but there are no other legal avenues to pursue.

She is a mother with three children in that school. She needs access to it.

How I personally feel about her is irrelevant.
 
Murphy
#8
I understand that, but there are people who want to punish her after the courts handed down their decision. How far does one go?
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I understand that, but there are people who want to punish her after the courts handed down their decision. How far does one go?

She is probably entitled to protection by the Crown while she goes about living her life. Aren't we all?

Make no mistake. I think that the woman is vile but pestering her as she mothers her children should be stopped.
 
Mokkajava
#10
I don't understand though... to volunteer each and every year at my childrens school's I have had to get a criminal record check... why is that not he case here. Sure she has served her time but that does not imply rehabilitation... and surely the type of crime she was convicted of should prevent her having a career or volunteering with youth or children
 
Curious Cdn
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Mokkajava View Post

I don't understand though... to volunteer each and every year at my childrens school's I have had to get a criminal record check... why is that not he case here. Sure she has served her time but that does not imply rehabilitation... and surely the type of crime she was convicted of should prevent her having a career or volunteering with youth or children

I still do and I still have them. I wondered about that, myself.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

She did her time. What do you think, legally speaking, should have been done? She's untouchable.

I understand the distress people are feeling. I'm not happy with it myself, but there are no other legal avenues to pursue.

I think a court order requiring her to keep away from children might could be in order.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I think a court order requiring her to keep away from children might could be in order.

That's a tricky thing to enforce when she is the mother of three of them.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

That's a tricky thing to enforce when she is the mother of three of them.

Not really. We do it all the time.
 
mentalfloss
#15
Is there a likelihood that she could cause harm again?

What is the supporting evidence?


It's amazing how conbots rush to judgement without even considering these questions.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Is there a likelihood that she could cause harm again?

What is the supporting evidence?

You want evidence of a future possibility?

What's your evidence for the "hockey stick" graph?
 
mentalfloss
#17
It's not a projection.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

It's not a projection.

Of course not. Keep telling yourself that.
 
mentalfloss
#19
The graph shows temperatures before present so the hockey stick already exists, it's not a projection.
 
mabudon
+2
#20
this morning on the local tlk radio, the host did his generally terrible little "thinkpiece for the day" and it was basically him saying that homolka being free is an insult to everyone in my region due to "what we all went through thanks to her"

I knew a bunch of people who were directly affected by it- Kristen was abducted in my neighborhood, one of my ex girlfriends was among the last people to see Leslie Mahaffy (sp?) alive, and the first assembly of my grade 13 high school year was a memorial for the relative she strangled to death.

That being said, the reason we have a (flawed but generally decent) legal system is to prevent lynch mobs. The guy on the radio was trying to play the "humanity" card while suggesting that homolka basically should have no right to continue existing. The crimes she committed were truly despicable, and i would want nothing to do with her, but really people should either get a petition to have her executed or shut up and let the authorities keep an eye on her like they are supposed to. Anyone who thinks she can do whatever she wants without anyone noticing is a fool, simply put
 
Tecumsehsbones
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The graph shows temperatures before present so the hockey stick already exists, it's not a projection.



Homolka's restraining order would be based on conduct that existed before the issuance of the order, therefore it would not be projection.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#22
Yes the stick already exists, thanks.

As for Homolka, she's done her time and I'm sure she's been tested in a myriad of ways to ensure she's not any harm to others.

This is about old, scared people who can't understand the fact that someone can change.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Yes the stick already exists, thanks.

As for Homolka, she's done her time and I'm sure she's been tested in a myriad of ways to ensure she's not any harm to others.

I'm not at all surprised that somebody who considers science a matter of majority opinion would have utter faith in "tests."

And it's "a myriad ways," not "a myriad of ways." Don't use words you don't understand.
 
spaminator
#24
Parents who criticized Karla Homolka say school asked them to leave | Canada | N
 
Tecumsehsbones
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Parents who criticized Karla Homolka say school asked them to leave | Canada | N

Of course! The were mean to poor, innocent Karly, who never done nothing wrong!
 
DaSleeper
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I'm not at all surprised that somebody who considers science a matter of majority opinion would have utter faith in "tests."

And it's "a myriad ways," not "a myriad of ways." Don't use words you don't understand.

even the majority opinion is wrong...when a consensus is false!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexeps.../#4dec7e6a3f9f
 
Twila
#27
Seems her restrictions were fully lifted in 2005

I'm surprised that she wasn't given some life time restrictions. She must have passed whatever psych test were given.

I guess the parents of the others kids, if so offended could have their kids go to a different school...

Her children should not be punished because of what their parent has done.
 
Mokkajava
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Seems her restrictions were fully lifted in 2005

I'm surprised that she wasn't given some life time restrictions. She must have passed whatever psych test were given.

I guess the parents of the others kids, if so offended could have their kids go to a different school...

Her children should not be punished because of what their parent has done.

I don't think her kids are being punished by restricting her access to be in charge of other children. She can have full time charge of her children, that's fine... but I am still confused as to how she doesn't have a criminal record that would prevent this
 
Murphy
#29
None of us was in the court, but I am sure that the school board would have had their legal dept check this out. They don't need a lawsuit.

Legally speaking, we are last to the party, I suspect.
 
Twila
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Mokkajava View Post

I don't think her kids are being punished by restricting her access to be in charge of other children. She can have full time charge of her children, that's fine... but I am still confused as to how she doesn't have a criminal record that would prevent this

No, but her kids are punished that she can't be a volunteer at their school (assuming they want her to be a volunteer at their school). She should have chosen NOT to, so as to not create any issues for her children. Unless her children wanted her there.

It is strange that she can volunteer given her record. But I think this from the article explains it:

a private Christian school, was aware of Homolka’s criminal past before she started volunteering there.
 

Similar Threads

27
Karla Homolka is a mother...
by #juan | Feb 14th, 2007
35
Karla Homolka
by missile | Sep 12th, 2005
23
Karla Homolka
by digigirl | Jul 7th, 2005
12
Karla Homolka
by peapod | Jun 29th, 2005