#1
Coroner to hold inquest into Sammy Yatim's shooting death
Canadian Press
Published:
July 31, 2019
Updated:
July 31, 2019 1:47 PM EDT
Sammy Yatim
Ontarioís coronerís office says it will hold an inquest into the death of a teenager shot by a police officer on an empty TTC streetcar six years ago.
Sammy Yatim died in July 2013 after being shot by Const. James Forcillo in Toronto.
Const. James Forcillo leaves court at 361 University Ave. after a sentencing hearing on May 18, 2016. (CRAIG ROBERTSON/Toronto Sun)
Forcillo was acquitted of second-degree murder but convicted of attempted murder in the 18-year-oldís death, and sentenced to six years in prison.
The conviction related to a second volley of bullets Forcillo fired after Yatim, who was holding a small knife, was down and dying.
Last year, the Supreme Court of Canada refused to hear Forcilloís appeal of his conviction and sentence.
The coronerís office says the inquest will examine the circumstances surroundings Yatimís death and make recommendations aimed at preventing further deaths.
Charge dropped against cop who tasered dying Sammy Yatim
MANDEL: Justice at last for Sammy Yatim
It did not say when the inquest will start or where it will be held.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...shooting-death