Vancouverís Chinese community receives apology for historical discrimination


spaminator
#1
Vancouverís Chinese community receives apology for historical discrimination
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
April 22, 2018
Updated:
April 22, 2018 8:56 PM EDT
A man uses a bullhorn to organize a group photo of lion dancers and performers during a Chinatown Culture Day event coinciding with Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson delivering an apology on behalf of the city for past discrimination against residents of Chinese descent, during a special city council meeting in Chinatown, in Vancouver on Sunday April 22, 2018. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck)
Vancouver city council has delivered a formal apology to the Chinese community for historical discrimination.
Mayor Gregor Robertson, who read the apology in the English, said it was an important day to come together, recognize wrongdoings and build a better future.
The apology publicly acknowledged past legislation, regulations and policies of previous city councils that discriminated against residents of Chinese descent.
Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson delivers an apology on behalf of the city for past discrimination against residents of Chinese descent, during a special city council meeting in Chinatown, in Vancouver on Sunday April 22, 2018. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck)
Former city councils barred residents of Chinese descent from voting until 1948, and from civic employment until 1952.
They also advocated for discriminatory policies like the federal head tax, and made various attempts at segregating public spaces like swimming pools and cemeteries.
More than 500 people gathered at the Chinese Cultural Centre for the event, which was part of a larger Chinatown Cultural Day celebration.
Former Vancouver City councillors Maggie Ip and Bill Yee read the apology in Cantonese and the Sze Yup dialect.
The City of New Westminster became the first B.C. municipality to formally apologize to Chinese-Canadians for past discrimination in 2010.
In 2015, Chinese-Canadians received an apology from then-premier Christy Clark on behalf of British Columbia for more than 100 racist laws, regulations and policies of past B.C. governments.
In 2006, the federal government offered an apology for the head tax imposed on Chinese immigrants and included $20,000 in compensation for families or surviving people who paid the tax.
Vancouver
 
taxslave
#2
Son these clueless twits will appologize to Japan for bombing the shit out of it during WW2.
 
captain morgan
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Of course Lil Potato will be front and center all misty-eyed and soulful.

.... Say! Maybe he'll even dress up as the Karate Kid!
 
Vbeacher
+2
#4
I wonder when the French will apologize to England for invading it and brutalizing its people in the 11th century.
 
White_Unifier
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Of course Lil Potato will be front and center all misty-eyed and soulful.

.... Say! Maybe he'll even dress up as the Karate Kid!

Or dress in a kimono?
 
Hoid
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vbeacher View Post

I wonder when the French will apologize to England for invading it and brutalizing its people in the 11th century.

Because the Chinese in BC were wronged 800 years ago.
 
White_Unifier
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Because the Chinese in BC were wronged 800 years ago.

Huh?
 
Hoid
#8
It is a sarcastic way of saying that comparing the Chinese discrimination in BC 50 years ago to the french invasion of Britain 800 years ago is stupid. And typical of these bone heads who will throw any type of red herring out there.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#9
Said one interviewee we're pretty sure was Chinese (or maybe Japanese or Korean) "Tankee. Dat makee me feew bettah. You wan' flied lice oh steem lice?"
 
pgs
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It is a sarcastic way of saying that comparing the Chinese discrimination in BC 50 years ago to the french invasion of Britain 800 years ago is stupid. And typical of these bone heads who will throw any type of red herring out there.

Didnít you ever wing the wong number ?
 
Danbones
#11
Chinese criminal triad money laundering is one of the few things supporting the canadian economy.
Things like real estate, the stock market and casinos.

Canada is a world money laundering power...you got ticket?

No ticket ..NO laundry!!!
 
White_Unifier
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Chinese criminal triad money laundering is one of the few things supporting the canadian economy.
Things like real estate, the stock market and casinos.

Canada is a world money laundering power...you got ticket?

No ticket ..NO laundry!!!

But those casino facial-recognition cameras might work to keep self-excluded gamblers out... maybe, perhaps... nah.

But those casino operators are not always Chinese. In fact, they're not always private sector.
 
taxslave
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It is a sarcastic way of saying that comparing the Chinese discrimination in BC 50 years ago to the french invasion of Britain 800 years ago is stupid. And typical of these bone heads who will throw any type of red herring out there.

THe real mistake was in not charging everyone that came here $500.
 
pgs
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Chinese criminal triad money laundering is one of the few things supporting the canadian economy.
Things like real estate, the stock market and casinos.

Canada is a world money laundering power...you got ticket?

No ticket ..NO laundry!!!

The head of the B.C. Lottery Corp. at one time was an ex casino manager from Macau , I donít know if he is still around .
 
Danbones
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

But those casino facial-recognition cameras might work to keep self-excluded gamblers out... maybe, perhaps... nah.

But those casino operators are not always Chinese. In fact, they're not always private sector.

You obviously missed the story of how things like people walking in with duffle bags of cash have been reported in BC casinos, and how the reports get filed...and forgotten, and the stink is starting to rise. It has nothing to do with who owns the casino. That is a separate type of issue. Which is just as crooked in its own way ( I guess you are OK with addictions as part of the tax base..

Rumor has it, for example, CRIMINAL MONEY LAUNDERING is the REAL reason why Brown got shafted in Ontario, so maybe people ought to actually pay attention to the actual story and its actual facts.

You have NO idea of how this works eh?
Last edited by Danbones; Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:27 AM..
 
White_Unifier
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

You obviously missed the story of how things like people walking in with duffle bags of cash have been reported in BC casinos, and how the reports get filed...and forgotten, and the stink is starting to rise. It has nothing to do with who owns the casino. That is a separate type of issue.

Rumor has it, for example, CRIMINAL MONEY LAUNDERING is the REAL reason why Brown got shafted in Ontario, so maybe people ought to actually pay attention to the actual story and its actual facts.

You have NO idea of how this works eh?

I don't gamble. You tell me how it works.
 
Danbones
+1
#17
This is not about gambling. It's about ILLEGALLY getting illegal money out of communist countries and using it to buy up democratic ones ILLEGALLY. ( like the 1200 rental and housing units this type of money just bought in my area by ONE chinese company. Their practices drove up rent by almost 25% here in a couple years. It's hell on the homeless around here. Guess who pays for that?)

To do this you also buy up the politicians and the institutions and take control of the "let's pretend we are democratic" fascist countries.

Now all your socks are belong to us and your funny dances too.

In actual gambling you have equal odds, not better than 51% to the house, that is No longer gambling. Like compound interest rates, that's just slow delayed theft from an addict.
Last edited by Danbones; Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:37 AM..