Vancouver Island river runs neon green!

Tonington
YouTube - Goldstream's Green River

Any of our BC posters heard of this? It's a suspected prank, as a fountain in Langford became neon green around the same time. Victoria Times Colonist quotes Dan Gilmore, a spokesman for BC Environment Ministry:
Fluorescein is a synthetic organic compound soluble in water and alcohol. It is widely used as a fluorescent tracer for many applications. The product itself and its products of degradation are not toxic.
Though Vancouver Island Health Authority medical health officer Murray Fyfe said that it can be allergenic.

eh1eh
Ummm? Like how many friggin' barrel of that stuff do you need and how much is it a gallon?
Is this a rich dudes prank or do we need Scully, Mulder and Dunham.

Tonington
I don't think you need much. They used to use this stuff to dye the Chicago River green for St Patty's Day, but now they use a vegetable based dye, which isn't as fluorescent. 40 gallons of the vegetable dye is enough to dye the Chicago River.

lone wolf
A cannister the size of a baby food jar shows up for a long way at sea

Unforgiven
Any reason that it's in the Goldstream river? We used to hang there when I lived in Victoria a bit. Nice place though when the Salmon run, ick.

taxslave
Been in the news for a couple of days now. No idea if they found out who or why. Probably neither. Nothing in todays Victoria paper that I saw anyway.