What are you personally doing to positively effect change in the environment.

RomSpaceKnight
1. I have exchanged 90% of incandescent bulbs in my house for compact flourescents
2. I ride a bicycle to work every day
3. I recycle 70% of my household waste
4. I use reusable grocery bag carriers
5. I set my thermostat to 20C in winter and 26C in summer, 2"+/- "normal" temps.

selfactivated
I recycle
I dont run errands unless its several in one trip
In good weather I walk
I do use plasic bags but I take them back for reuse.

Tonington
I ride a bike or walk. I pack my groceries into my backpack. The cereal I buy is conservation grade, though it comes from England. My appartment is heated at around 18 C. I recycle. I intend to do more when I have my own place, I should change my bulbs too, come to think of it I haven't changed them in the 1.5 years I've been here.

darkbeaver
I have a fart sequestering hose, I eat all my food raw, I sit in the dark all night, I have the nieghbours missing dog running in a tread mill to power the computer,and I fly everywhere on my broom.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I have a fart sequestering hose, I eat all my food raw, I sit in the dark all night, I have the nieghbours missing dog running in a tread mill to power the computer,and I fly everywhere on my broom.

Your a goof

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivated View Post

Your a goof

What do you mean by that?Those are all valid energy conserving activitys.

Dexter Sinister
I'm beginning to think darkbeaver's location--currently given as "ward 13 special care"--might be true.

1 We've replaced all the windows in the house with triple glazed, argon-filled, high emittivity units.
2 We replaced the furnace with one of those 97% efficient ones.
3 As incandescent bulbs burn out, I replace them with low wattage flourescents.
4 We recycle papers, cans, bottles, plastics, and organic kitchen waste.
5 We bicycle a lot. Not today though, it's -18C in blowing snow.
6 We walk a lot. We deliberately bought a home within easy walking distance of a major grocery store and a major mall. Conveniently, it also turned out to be within walking distance of a movie theater, lots of restaurants and coffee shops, a liquor store, a pharmacy, a post office, and a hardware store.
7 We drive as little as possible, about 6000 km in an average year.
8 We have low water use toilets.
9 I've installed flow-restricting shower heads in both bathrooms and we shower only once a month. We don't stink, because we're so pure of heart.

AmberEyes
I take the bus everywhere I go.
I recycle as much as my city will allow me to
I often put my groceries in my back pack.
I have a very cold house... (electric heat is expensive with only single pane windows, so we dont really bother)
I grow my own veggies in the summer...

selfactivated

My broom is faster than your broom wanna race?

selfactivated
I WIN!!!!!!

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivated View Post

My broom is faster than your broom wanna race?

OK GET READY SET GO WHOOSH , I'M OFF, I'M UP, I'M AWAY, WEE I'M FREE, MY FART POWERED BROOM IS SWEEPING THE COMPETITION ASIDE, I WON.

Kreskin
Yaris
Energy efficient home
Recycle
Don't grow marijuana.

darkbeaver
Don't forget to turn the lights off when you leave, nitety nite.

selfactivated
LOL Night Doll

#juan
1. We have fairly good double glazed windows but we don't have as great a delta T as Dexter has to deal with.
2. We don't have a condensing furnace, but before too much longer we will replace the furnace with a heat pump.
3. I've replaced as many incandescents as I can....those new flourescents don't fit in all light fixtures.
4. We recycle everything the recycle truck will take.
5. Both my wife and I use our bikes a lot. Usually weather is not a big problem.
6. We didn't deliberately buy a house near shopping malls. That we did, was purely serendipitous.
7. We probably drive more than 6000km per year...maybe 10,000km per year....but we drive very slowly... we don't usually leave the left signal light on...
8. The toilets in the house we bought in Nanaimo a couple years ago have just regular toilets. The previous owner put a few bricks in the tanks of the three toilets we have. This, no doubt saves a bit of water.
9. We have ordinary shower heads because I like a high pressure needle spray...besides, we are on a water meter.....

RomSpaceKnight
A high efficiency furnace is on my list. Will be selling home next year to attend university so will put one in then. Primarily to boost house asking price, though.

gopher
Recycle newspapers, magazines, junk mail, cans + bottles.

Use fewer lights.

Re-use paper shopping bags.

hermanntrude
i dont eat or drink i just and rock back and forth in a dark room and cry

selfactivated
Another goof!

RomSpaceKnight
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

Try curling up in the fetal position. It use less energy and conserves body heat.

gopher
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnight View Post

Try curling up in the fetal position. It use less energy and conserves body heat.

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

talloola

whatever you say "goofy"

talloola
we have a small oil filled heater that we use in our closed-door living room, and the rest of the house
is kept very cool.
lots of walking
cold water laundry detergent
recycle most things
have compost pile
grow veggies
small vehicles-4 cyclinder
I feel responsible for trying to do the right thing, but when the fighter planes check their fuel usage
at the end of a day of bombing raids, i'm sure they quickly use more than we could use in a decade.
And, when all of china who use the coal from their thousands of coal piles, finish burning for the day they would undo any good I have tried to do, i know that sounds cynical but until large governments
begin to make an impact, what we as individuals do doesn't matter much.

temperance
Yes ,The first thing I did was realize I could do something -lol

low flow toilets ,
hot water heater on a timer ,its off all night on at am to noon (get a shower then or rot) saved 35 %
no hot water for washing clothes
never use dryer in summer fall
every window has heavy curtains in winter (roll down at night )
space heating --
wear hat slippers in house (really nice second hand fur hat Russian style )
second hand before new if possible appliances exempt
hot water heater will go solar next year as first step in total solar plan 5 year plan
electric blanket heat down to 57 at night
retrot fit guy coming next week to help with where were losing heat and wasting electricity ,so we can focus on insulation and sealing before cosmetics
pile snow up around house to help insulate tried hay one year -lol mice
plastic in porch in winter to help with front door heat loss
haven't use large stove in 5 years ,use small bigger than toaster oven and microwave ,small hot plate
all light bulbs changed 2 years ago
every thing is on surge power bars and turned off after use --reduces ghost power
solar panel for recharge of battery for cell phone ,flashlights
actively search for better ,cheap conservation ways
Buy least packing foods ,
recycle(cans bottles ) even though I wonder how much the actually recycle -lol

garden fresh veggies --needs help in that dept . just learning

tires in auto checked every month ,and maintienece up kept
drive X a week
eat out 5 times a year
no more tim hortons drive thur

darkbeaver
We're all doing our bit for the war effort.

AndyF
I drive a small 2 X 4 new pickup truck with midsize engine. I'm a considerate person, I could have went up to the large engine 4 X 4 and a full pUp. My truck has contributed as well, no longer do we have the inefficient engines of the 30's - 70's.

The recycle bit is pending until the "purchaser" considers my stuff as raw material, and pays me for it. It's garbage if no one wants to use it, it's raw material if someone does. I paid for that can, and to heck with what anyone says. I can prove the recycle principle is a sham. They claim that I produce waste and should be responsible for it. I offered to take it to the dump myself saving money and salaries, but they want to charge me at the gate for it and I'm paying for the dump site out of my taxes.

As for the rest there is a bottom line. I consume for more than one reason, and the most important is to survive, so I use fuel to heat with, and I work for that by cutting and splitting my own wood and bringing it in the stove. I refuse to take any blame for existing. Nature is continually consuming and creating byproducts of some form or another, thats life. Nor does it always do it balance all the time, as changes in this world indicate.

As for conserving gas and oil, Canada as enough oil reserves to last another 50 years at the going consumption rate of Canadians. If it wants to sell it over the border and make deals, then all convincing is on hold.

Next is convincing me that conservation sacrifices will be distributed according to contribution. When they discovered industry and coal fired hydro contributed 30% of the pollution and autos 2%, they decided to attack the poor first in drive clean programs which proves today not to have any effect, causing misery among the blue collar workers. The industries were allowed to swap pollution points.

So when I see them get their act togeather, then I'll consider doing my part.

Sign me,
NotFallingForIt

tamarin
Andy, interesting figures on the key polluters! Drive Clean is a big headache for the average Joe. If it's working - fine, but if it's not it's just another example of government bullying. I recycle where I can but it does puzzle me anytime I go to the local dump after a major house cleaning all the debris is thrown into a single dumpster. The facility has no interest in your sorting and recycling. Wonder why.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

ROTFLMAO

Curiosity
Rah Rah Rah - pat yourselves on the head folks

Everyone does their thing I guess...... I was gonna cheer today on this forum because my car which I purchased in 2004 brand new just turned over 4000miles....on the odo.

I have forsaken the dishwasher unless I have a crowd, the ovens unless I have a crowd, the temperatures in California are moderate enough heating/cooling becomes moderate as well... and
the most used item in my home is my refrigerator which I keep serviced for maximum efficiency.

Recycling in California is modern and efficient - for $6 a month we can have separate containers for all the recyclables divided up and trucks come around and dump the appropriate glass, paper, etc. etc. into the right trucks....I don't have to use the garbage service every week because there is very little garbage generated because of recycling.

I rarely use overhead lights in any room, preferring to turn on small lamps which can be purchased
at any store for reasonable prices... mine were all under $20 at Goodwill and I fixed them up with new shades....and redid the pedestals...because I like to restore things.

MikeyDB
I only breathe once a day and never NEVER break wind.