More America Bashing..

JBeee
God Is Not Responsible for Sins in Iraq
by Jacob G. Hornberger
A reader advised me that in my blog yesterday, I had misinterpreted Sarah Palinís statement to the Assembly of God Church in Alaska. The reader said that Palin wasnít actually saying that the Iraq invasion and occupation were part of Godís plan but instead was simply requesting people to pray that the operation is part of Godís plan.
The reader might have a point, but isnít it a distinction without a difference? Praying that the commission of sin is part of some plan of God is ludicrous. God doesnít have plans that involve people in the commission of sin. Sinners, not God, are responsible for their sins.
The simple, undeniable truth remains: The U.S. government did not have the right to attack a country that had not attacked the United States or even threatened to do so. Therefore, the CIA and the troops did not have the right to kill any Iraqi, much less a million of them. Hoping and praying that such killings are part of some plan of God is ridiculous. Again, God does not have plans that involve people in the violation of His sacred commandments.
The problem is that all too many religious types in America have come to believe that the U.S. government is special. They honestly believe that it operates as an agent of God. It is not. Instead, the government is nothing more than a bunch of ordinary Americans, some of whom are religious, and some of whom are engaged in wrongful behavior.
To demonstrate how many religious types in America have elevated the U.S. government to holy status, consider the following scenario:
Suppose the Russia government, rather than the U.S. government, had done everything to the Iraqi people that the U.S. government has done.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had delivered weapons of mass destruction to Saddam Hussein.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had intentionally destroyed Iraqís water-treatment plants with the intent of spreading illnesses among the Iraqi people.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had enforced a brutal regime of sanctions against the Iraqi people for more than a decade, contributing to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children.
Suppose it had been the Russian ambassador to the United Nations who had proclaimed that the deaths of half-a-million Iraqi children from the sanctions had been ďworth it
Suppose it had been the Russians who had invaded and occupied Iraq, killing and maiming hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, causing millions more to go into exile, and sending the entire nation into conflict and chaos.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had murdered, tortured, and sexually abused Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had proclaimed that they had done it all for the benefit of the Iraqi people, not for the sake of installing a Russian-approved puppet into power.
What would have been the reaction of many U.S. Christians? Would they be claiming or praying that the Russian government was operating in accordance with Godís plan? No, they would be screaming like banshees, condemning what the Russians had done, and rightfully so. After all, look at how theyíve reacted to the Russian invasion of Georgia, where the death and destruction is miniscule compared to what the U.S. government has done in Iraq.

Yet, since it is the U.S. government that has done all these things, itís all okay because everything the U.S. government does to foreigners is holy given its exalted position as Godís agent on earth.

No Christian should ever claim or pray that the commission of sin is part of Godís plan. When someone is involved in the commission of sin, there is but one proper course of action: Stop it. The proper prayer after sin is a plea for forgiveness, after genuine confession and repentance. That is what should be happening with respect to Iraq.

Risus
Yes, bush sinned when he committed war crimes and killed innocent people in Iraq... What ticks me off is the yanks always saying 'God bless america' as though no other countries matter.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Yes, bush sinned when he committed war crimes and killed innocent people in Iraq... What ticks me off is the yanks always saying 'God bless america' as though no other countries matter.

My Gram said "God bless you" when I sneezed.... Is that a prayer that I'll be alright?

I think not

Well it is obvious us yanks don't matter to you so why on earth should we give a ****?

gopher
"The U.S. government did not have the right to attack a country that had not attacked the United States or even threatened to do so."

I'm just a little bit confused -- how is it more "America bashing" to point that out??

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not View Post

Well it is obvious us yanks don't matter to you so why on earth should we give a ****?

It's not that exactly, you leave it to others to point out your true intentions. A less conniving nation would say it and then do it without all the bull****.
Sad fact that once you said it, the other nations would probably do alot to make sure that it never happened.

You do know that their favorite victims are US citizens right?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

My Gram said "God bless you" when I sneezed.... Is that a prayer that I'll be alright?

Why was your Gram blessing you as if nobody else mattered?

Unforgiven

It's what good people do.

darkbeaver
When will people notice the conection between god and sin. God and Empire. God and Death. God and Wall Street. God and fighter aircraft and taxes.

missile
What I dislike is a God,who must be so needy and egotistical, that he needs constant prayers to bolster his selfworth. My version of a God would be beyond that.

TenPenny
God save our Gracious Queen
Long live our nobel Queen
God save our Queen

Rule Brittania!

Unforgiven
People believe in God. If God is with us, who could be against us? Simple and difficult to argue against without saying that God isn't with us. And should someone say that, well they just aren't going to get another invite to any of the parties and social engagements so there.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by JBeee View Post

God Is Not Responsible for Sins in Iraq
by Jacob G. Hornberger
A reader advised me that in my blog yesterday, I had misinterpreted Sarah Palinís statement to the Assembly of God Church in Alaska. The reader said that Palin wasnít actually saying that the Iraq invasion and occupation were part of Godís plan but instead was simply requesting people to pray that the operation is part of Godís plan.

What a dumbass suck bucket..... don't forget, this is all part of Bush's Holy Crusade against "Evil Doers" OOooooo......

Great, another nut job has a chance to be in power..... frig and I just got past the first paragraph.... this is going to be a fun read, I can already tell.

Quote:

The reader might have a point, but isnít it a distinction without a difference?

Yup...

Quote:

Praying that the commission of sin is part of some plan of God is ludicrous. God doesnít have plans that involve people in the commission of sin. Sinners, not God, are responsible for their sins.

So they say.

Quote:

The simple, undeniable truth remains: The U.S. government did not have the right to attack a country that had not attacked the United States or even threatened to do so.

True

Quote:

Therefore, the CIA and the troops did not have the right to kill any Iraqi, much less a million of them. Hoping and praying that such killings are part of some plan of God is ridiculous. Again, God does not have plans that involve people in the violation of His sacred commandments.

True.... you can not justify the killing of civilians and those defending their nation as some act of God or the plan of God..... and praying that it is his plan isn't a damn excuse for it.

Instead of praying that it's his plan, perhaps they should pray they God doesn't squish them like ants for their actions......

Then again, maybe all these tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, droughts, forest fires and the like are expressions by God, saying that he's pissed royally at the US.

Quote:

The problem is that all too many religious types in America have come to believe that the U.S. government is special. They honestly believe that it operates as an agent of God. It is not. Instead, the government is nothing more than a bunch of ordinary Americans, some of whom are religious, and some of whom are engaged in wrongful behavior.

True

Quote:

To demonstrate how many religious types in America have elevated the U.S. government to holy status, consider the following scenario:
Suppose the Russia government, rather than the U.S. government, had done everything to the Iraqi people that the U.S. government has done.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had delivered weapons of mass destruction to Saddam Hussein.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had intentionally destroyed Iraqís water-treatment plants with the intent of spreading illnesses among the Iraqi people.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had enforced a brutal regime of sanctions against the Iraqi people for more than a decade, contributing to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children.
Suppose it had been the Russian ambassador to the United Nations who had proclaimed that the deaths of half-a-million Iraqi children from the sanctions had been ďworth it
Suppose it had been the Russians who had invaded and occupied Iraq, killing and maiming hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, causing millions more to go into exile, and sending the entire nation into conflict and chaos.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had murdered, tortured, and sexually abused Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison.
Suppose it had been the Russians who had proclaimed that they had done it all for the benefit of the Iraqi people, not for the sake of installing a Russian-approved puppet into power.
What would have been the reaction of many U.S. Christians? Would they be claiming or praying that the Russian government was operating in accordance with Godís plan? No, they would be screaming like banshees, condemning what the Russians had done, and rightfully so. After all, look at how theyíve reacted to the Russian invasion of Georgia, where the death and destruction is miniscule compared to what the U.S. government has done in Iraq.

Correction... Russian didn't invade.... they retaliated. But then again, that depends on who you ask I suppose, and whether or not you believe Georgia started this situation or Russia did.

Quote:

Yet, since it is the U.S. government that has done all these things, itís all okay because everything the U.S. government does to foreigners is holy given its exalted position as Godís agent on earth.

Psssh.....

Quote:

No Christian should ever claim or pray that the commission of sin is part of Godís plan. When someone is involved in the commission of sin, there is but one proper course of action: Stop it. The proper prayer after sin is a plea for forgiveness, after genuine confession and repentance. That is what should be happening with respect to Iraq.

This just goes to show just how "Experienced" Palin really is, esspecially when it comes to shooting off her mouth and her dumbass interpretation of Christianity.

I followed the faith for a good chunk of my life, and although I no longer follow it nor do I believe in it anymore, I seem to know much more about the faith then this moron Palin does, and it's due to nutfuks like her that made me leave the faith to begin with.

I can not associate myself with people like her, or I am only supporting people like her, so I left to find my own path of what lies beyond and why we are here. People like her have screwed this world up with their own self-serviing perspectives of what some God wants them to do.

And if God really does exist, I hope he keeps up with the natural disasters that are afflicting the US in the last number of years..... and with any luck, the whole nation will be swallowed into the ocean, never to be seen again, except as a tourist spot for scuba divers.

Whether or not God exists, I do believe in a certain level of Karma, and it's working it's magic on them, that is for sure...... those in the US might be blind to it.... but they won't be soon enough.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I believe that had to do with older times when people thought that when you sneezed, your soul was trying to escape, so they said "God Bless You" for your soul to stay within your body.

Although it has been a few years since I looked up that old saying.

Praxius

Oh you guys do matter, don't worry about that..... you matter to us and everybody else in the world, because you guys keep killing us, both directly and indirectly...... you matter... just not in the way you would like.

Yup... keep that attitude up.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

People believe in God.

Some do. And many of those who do, don't all believe in the same God and/or principles.

Quote:

If God is with us, who could be against us?

Usually those shooting at you.

Quote:

Simple and difficult to argue against without saying that God isn't with us. And should someone say that, well they just aren't going to get another invite to any of the parties and social engagements so there.

Oh well..... why would I want to be surrounded by a bunch of ignorant bible thumpers?

*Pow pow.... guns empty on the thread, Exit the Prax*

karrie
He does make a point as it applies to trying to hold God on our side in conflicts (be they personal, or governmental), but loses me on one huge assertion.

1. The repeated us of the word sin. First off, if you're going to claim that warring in the name of God is a sin, based on the commandments written down in the Bible, then, you also must read the assorted passages where, yep, people fought wars with the 'blessing' of God.

But, I agree that God should just be left the heck out of it. As is Hornberger's normal stance, that religion and government be separate. It strikes me as kind of funny for someone who speaks out against God being brought into government, to then launch a tyrade attempting to dictate HOW they should pray properly. But I digress... it does show his point... that he feels the American government should be apologizing for this war.

I guess that would be the crux of the issue up for debate, since the rest is kind of unprovable.

"God's on my side, btw."

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Why was your Gram blessing you as if nobody else mattered?

Maybe cuz I didn't snoodle on anything

Zzarchov
side note:

There are many reasons why every country had a right to invade Iraq. But no one cares about Genocide,

So instead they invented a reason that would sell well, and they used it.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

But, I agree that God should just be left the heck out of it. As is Hornberger's normal stance, that religion and government be separate. It strikes me as kind of funny for someone who speaks out against God being brought into government, to then launch a tyrade attempting to dictate HOW they should pray properly. But I digress... it does show his point... that he feels the American government should be apologizing for this war.

One thing I would like to add to this, which you sort of pointed on, was the removal of church and state, which is how it should be...... and religion shouldn't be a justification for any war as I see it.

But on top of that, some of the additional contradictions I see, is that Palin brags on and on about how Christian she is, and that she has Christian values, and that she wants to ban abortion, throw Creationism into the classrooms, shuns condoms and birth control, promotes marriage before sex..... and now she's saying the Iraq war was God's plan..... or that we all pray that it was God's plan..... whatever......

..... but at the same time, she tells the democrats to keep religion and her family out of the debate.

The family thing I can get.... .but when she's shoving her "More Reightious Then Thou" attitude into everybody's face and trying to impose her religious views onto just about everything...... how the hell is the other side supposed to leave those things out of the debate?

And see that's the ticket right there..... she tells Obama and everybody else that her family and her religious views are all off limits, but then uses those things to further propel her agenda..... meanwhile the other side of the argument isn't allowed to challenge it.... therefore it all passes by without question.

Does anybody else see how screwed up this is, or is it just me?

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Some do. And many of those who do, don't all believe in the same God and/or principles.

A moot point.

Quote:

Usually those shooting at you.

Go a little further Grasshopper. What side does God fight on? The side of good of course.
And so, only Satan would fight against the side of good and God. There fore, the enemy is evil and deserves to be killed.

Quote:

Oh well..... why would I want to be surrounded by a bunch of ignorant bible thumpers?

They will fight harder and stay loger even in the darkest hour if they think they are doing God's work. Isn't psychology wonderful?

Quote:

*Pow pow.... guns empty on the thread, Exit the Prax*

Quote:

Wow! Didn't hit a single thing. heh heh I pick Colpy!

Praxius

A moot point.

Only to those who think their religion rules all.... which apparently is you. Moot indeed. But nice argument

Quote:

Go a little further Grasshopper. What side does God fight on? The side of good of course.

Then I guess the US will be destroyed soon enough then...... cuz they sure as hell ain't the good guys. They were... they sure as hell ain't now.

Quote:

And so, only Satan would fight against the side of good and God. There fore, the enemy is evil and deserves to be killed.

Perhaps those who think they're good and doing God's work have clouded judgement.

Did God tell you this was the right course of action? Did God tell Bush this was what had to be done? How about God Telling Palin? Do you three have some magical connection to God that you all communicate between one another to make sure this is what God wants?

If you say yes, then you're more full of sh*t then I originally thought.

A human dictating what God wants is a contradiction, which is exactly what you're trying to do here. You best go back to Sunday school and get re-educated.

Then again, perhaps today being Sept 11th has something to do with your uppity "We're the right ones" attitude.

Quote:

They will fight harder and stay loger even in the darkest hour if they think they are doing God's work. Isn't psychology wonderful?

Yeah, the so-called "Terrorists" are proving this to a tee. So which God is right? The US public is breaking down and growing weary of these endless wars..... all the while more and more in the middle east are taking up arms for the loss of their innocent loved ones, and using the US as target practice.

There is no sympathy in the middle east for the US, and now even the US's allies are losing sympathy.

You speak of psychology...... well classify this under the "Crying Wolf" mentality complex disorder..... I haven't had sympathy for what occurs to the US for a few years now, and I know there are plenty more all over the world who feel the same.

Then again, God's on the US's side don't forget, so I guess the US would be justified in nuking the whole planet and ridding themselves of all those who oppose them.... you know.... start the apocalypse and all?

Yeah.... religion is such a wonderful thing.... makes you wonder why there's less and less people joining the faith these days.
Quote:

Wow! Didn't hit a single thing. heh heh I pick Colpy!

Maybe you should take the blindfold off and check yourself, because I just wiggity-wrecked yourself.

Werd..... Ya Heard?

Risus

People believe in God. If God is with us, who could be against us? Simple and difficult to argue against without saying that God isn't with us. And should someone say that, well they just aren't going to get another invite to any of the parties and social engagements so there.

What makes you think God is with you guys? Talk is cheap. I doubt that God has approved of the illegal war in Iraq.
Last edited by Risus; Sep 11th, 2008 at 03:13 PM..Reason: spelling

Unforgiven

What makes you think God is with you guys? Talk is cheap. I doubt that God has approved of the illegal war in Iraq.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He alos justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:28-31

What makes anyone think that God is on their side? Al Qeada thinks Allah is on their side. Bushco thinks God is on their side.

I don't think God cares much about sides or even war. But when swaying popular opinion, God's one hell of a poster child.

Risus

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He alos justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:28-31

What makes anyone think that God is on their side? Al Qeada thinks Allah is on their side. Bushco thinks God is on their side.

I don't think God cares much about sides or even war. But when swaying popular opinion, God's one hell of a poster child.

I'm not questioning the quote from the Bible you posted, but I'm sure God doesn't approve of the killing of all the inocent children in Iraq. You guys need to get your head out of your butt and realize that your faling back on the old excuse of 'God is behind us' just doesn't cut it.

mabudon
Risus, I highly doubt that is the point Unforgiven is making, and it has been addressed twice already....

earth_as_one
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

side note:

There are many reasons why every country had a right to invade Iraq. But no one cares about Genocide,

If people cared about genocide, Rwanda would have been invaded in 1994.

There was no genocide going on in Iraq in 2002 or 2003. According to the US government, the total number of people executed by the Hussein regime in 2002-3 was 0. Between 2000 and 2001, the total was 275.

Quote:

Office of the White House Press Secretary
Washington, DC
April 4, 2003

Life Under Saddam Hussein: Past Repression and Atrocities by Saddam Hussein's Regime

122 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in February/March 2000;
23 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in October 2001; and
At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded between June 2000 and April 2001.

http://www.state.gov/p/nea/rls/19675.htm

Does the above meet your definition of genocide Z?

How about this:

Quote:

On Friday, September 14, 2007, ORB (Opinion Research Business), an independent polling agency located in London, published estimates of the total war casualties in Iraq since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.[1] At over 1.2 million deaths (1,220,580), this estimate is the highest number published so far, outnumbering even the death toll of the recent Rwandan genocide.[2] From the poll margin of error of +/-2.5% ORB calculated a range of 733,158 to 1,446,063 deaths. The ORB estimate was performed by a random survey of 1,720 adults aged 18+, out of which 1,499 responded, in fifteen of the eighteen governorates within Iraq, between August 12 and August 19, 2007.[3][4] In comparison, the 2006 Lancet survey suggested almost half this number (654,965 deaths) through the end of June 2006. The Lancet authors calculated a range of 392,979 to 942,636 deaths.

On 28 January 2008, ORB published an update based on additional work carried out in rural areas of Iraq. Some 600 additional interviews were undertaken and as a result of this the death estimate was revised to 1,033,000 with a given range of 946,000 to 1,120,000.[5]...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORB_sur...War_casualties

Between 1998 and 2003 a genocidal war was going on. But it was in the DRC, not Iraq:

Quote:

The Second Congo War, also known as Africa's World War[3] and the Great War of Africa, began in August 1998 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly called Zaire), and officially ended in July 2003 when the Transitional Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo took power (though hostilities continue to this day). The largest war in modern African history, it directly involved eight African nations, as well as about 25 armed groups. By 2008 the war and its aftermath had killed 5.4 million people, mostly from disease and starvation,[4] making the Second Congo War the deadliest conflict worldwide since World War II.[5] Millions more were displaced from their homes or sought asylum in neighboring countries.[6]

Despite a formal end to the war in July 2003 and an agreement by the former belligerents to create a government of national unity, 1,000 people died daily in 2004 from easily preventable cases of malnutrition and disease.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Congo_War

Iraq was peaceful until the US started an unprovoked war to seize control of Iraq's oil.

Quote:

16 September 2004 – UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan:

...Responding to media questions about the Secretary-General's comments in a BBC interview, spokesman Fred Eckhard told a press briefing in New York that in his remarks the Secretary-General had reiterated his well-known position that the military action against Iraq was not in conformity with the UN Charter.

In the interview, Mr. Annan was repeatedly asked whether the war was "illegal." "Yes," he finally said, "I have indicated it is not in conformity with the UN Charter, from our point of view, and from the Charter point of view it was illegal."...

http://www.un.org/apps/news/storyAr....53&Cr=iraq&Cr1

The Iraq war wasn't just an illegal war crime which has killed about a million people so far, it also diverted the world's attention away from the genocidal humanitarian disaster in the DRC and has given humanitarian intervention a bad name!

HRW:
Quote:

...the United States-led coalition forces justified the invasion of Iraq on a variety of grounds, only one of which—a comparatively minor one—was humanitarian. The Security Council did not approve the invasion, and the Iraqi government, its existence on the line, violently opposed it. Moreover, while the African interventions were modest affairs, the Iraq war was massive, involving an extensive bombing campaign and some 150,000 ground troops.

The sheer size of the invasion of Iraq, the central involvement of the world’s superpower, and the enormous controversy surrounding the war meant that the Iraqi conflict overshadowed the other military actions. For better or for worse, that prominence gave it greater power to shape public perceptions of armed interventions said by their proponents to be justified on humanitarian grounds. The result is that at a time of renewed interest in humanitarian intervention, the Iraq war and the effort to justify it even in part in humanitarian terms risk giving humanitarian intervention a bad name. If that breeds cynicism about the use of military force for humanitarian purposes, it could be devastating for people in need of future rescue.

Human Rights Watch ordinarily takes no position on whether a state should go to war. The issues involved usually extend beyond our mandate, and a position of neutrality maximizes our ability to press all parties to a conflict to avoid harming noncombatants. The sole exception we make is in extreme situations requiring humanitarian intervention.

Because the Iraq war was not mainly about saving the Iraqi people from mass slaughter, and because no such slaughter was then ongoing or imminent, Human Rights Watch at the time took no position for or against the war. A humanitarian rationale was occasionally offered for the war, but it was so plainly subsidiary to other reasons that we felt no need to address it...

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k4/3.htm

People who claim Iraq was invaded for humanitarian reasons are either blatant liars or manipulated fools.

McCain is probably lying. Palin is probably a manipulated fool. What are you Z?

Scott Free
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

side note:

You should work for Bush or FOX. They love revisionists.

Praxius

Indeed.... but if simply believing and loving God would make all decisions of an individual being right, then there wouldn't be such a thing as sin now would there? There would be no need to repent sins.... raping, stealing, murdering, having an affair would all be justified.... because you simply love God. There wouldn't be any need for the comandments would there?

Oh, and thinking God wants something or approves something, isn't actually absolute now is it, let alone makes it true?

I suppose all those crazies who ended up killing their families, chopping them up and making clothing out of them "Because God told me to do it and they were evil" are justified in what they did? Afterall, they love God and heck.... they didn't think God wanted this.... apparently to them, God "Told" them this was what was right to do.

So they were more justified in doing what they did, then Bush or Palin thinking/praying this is what God wanted.

And yet, they're all in jail.

Why is that?

Unforgiven

I'm not questioning the quote from the Bible you posted, but I'm sure God doesn't approve of the killing of all the inocent children in Iraq. You guys need to get your head out of your butt and realize that your faling back on the old excuse of 'God is behind us' just doesn't cut it.

You should question any quote from the Bible. As the Bible changes God has gone from a wrathful, vengeful God to a so called loving God. According to the editors anyway.

For my part I was pointing out the absurdity of following people who make the claim that God is on their side, like Bushco and Al Qaeda have. You seemed to have confused my pointing out the irony with some support for such an absurd concept. I don't support the war in Iraq, nor the reasoning behind it.

Just to be clear.